Author Topic: Idle curiosity: What would you bid...  (Read 7847 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Idle curiosity: What would you bid...
« on: 11 April 2019, 17:25:44 »
The situation: Some fairly normal world, circa 3051. The Clans have invaded and the Inner Sphere defends.

The defenders are a company of inner sphere mechs:
Command Lance:
Warhammer 6R
Hatchetman 3F
Wasp 1A
Other Wasp 1A

Support Lance:
Shadow Hawk 2H
Rifleman 3N
More Rifleman 3N
Flea 4

Fire Lance:
Centurion 9-A
Longbow OW
Whitworth 1
Ostscout 7J

Imagine yourself as a clan commander (whichever invading clan you'd like). What would you bid to take on such a force.

(this should not be thought of as a competition, where you need to beat the bids of other posters. Purely a thought exercise. What would you imagine a reasonable clan force to fight this company would be?)
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Idle curiosity: What would you bid...
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2019, 17:30:25 »
A Supernova might do it... a Binary if not...

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2019, 18:28:48 »
An assault lance should be able to do it, given the Clan tech advantage. Faster movers like

* War Hawk prime
* Timber Wolf Prime
* More Timber Wolf, mebbe an S
* Executioner C
* Summoner D

The slowest is 4/6 with two 5/8/5 jumpers. Plenty of range & the odd pulse laser. Plan on the enemy breaking zell early on. Lucky headshots from the ERPPCs will make a difference. Defeat in detail.

Is there a reason why the Spheroids are organised in a somewhat funky way? Just good old-school lance builds, like the Rifleman in the Recon lance?

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2019, 18:31:42 »
A Battle Star of omnis should be quite sufficient to defeat a company of SW era mechs piloted by Mechwarriors unfamiliar with Clan tech & tactics.

Specifics?  Call it Mad Cat, Ryoken x2, Black Hawk, Puma

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2019, 18:37:49 »
*snip*
Is there a reason why the Spheroids are organised in a somewhat funky way? Just good old-school lance builds, like the Rifleman in the Recon lance?
It doesn't look that funky to me... all the LRM equipped 'mechs are together, all the AC/5 'mechs are together (both lances with integral scouts), and the Command lance has two 'mechs with 10 point weapons, plus a pair of Wasps for recon or fast reaction.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2019, 20:24:06 »
Nova Binary

Timber Wolf
Mad Dog
Mad Dog
Fire Moth
Fire Moth

24x Elementals

Timber Wolf tears apart the Support Lance

Mad Dogs counter battery fire the Fire Lance

Fire Moths drop Elementals to harass the Command Lance and tear apart the Wasps.

Remaining Elementals harass everything in sight including the Riflemen and ahachetman

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2019, 22:31:37 »
Hmmm...

I smell a trap but I would think a good mobile star of Medium to Heavy omnis could take it out.

It is 3051 so I don't have any specialty ammunition to worry about from the AC-5s or the LRMs really.

My over confident hyper aggressive Smoke Jaguar bid would be Timber Wolf A, Summoner Prime, 2 x Stormcrow B, and a Nova Prime for fun/mopping up.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2019, 23:11:35 »
Honestly, I'd say a trio of Timber Wolf As would be plenty. Overkill, even.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 11 April 2019, 23:29:08 »
A heavy star might be able to do it. Not without losses, but doable. A pair of medium stars would be overkill unless you had really poor mech choices.

Looking at the RATs from ER:3052, I'd say the wolves, bears and jaguars could pull it off, maybe. Not a Jade Falcon star, they like their Loki too much for their own good.

That's a company full of deathtraps, stiffened by a couple decent choices. Where did it come from?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2019, 01:08:59 »
It's made up of minis that I happened to have on hand and assembled. The result felt pretty succession wars to me.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2019, 01:51:07 »
It's made up of minis that I happened to have on hand and assembled. The result felt pretty succession wars to me.

I as well. That's a 'whatever we could get our hands on' force if I've ever seen one.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 12 April 2019, 01:51:41 »
Honestly, I'd say a trio of Timber Wolf As would be plenty. Overkill, even.

Five point hits can add up pretty fast, especially when they hit medium range about the same time you do.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2019, 01:55:35 »
One limitation that might be required is defining which clan is doing the assault.

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 12 April 2019, 03:34:31 »
For myself, I'd push the envelope a bit with:

Incubus
Viper Prime
2 points Flamer equipped Elementals
2 Batu B aerofighters
But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #14 on: 12 April 2019, 11:05:26 »
Are we wargaming this or tabletop'ing?

Because I have recently been doing some of the Wolf invasion battles through MM with 3 klick x 3 klick battle areas with portions of Wolf elite clusters against regular AFFC forces.

Garg Prime Veh Test
Garg D, Garg Prime, TWolf C, Adder D vs  mixed weight of 8 mechs and two veh companies
     Wolves lost Garg D (side torso & CT engine crit) while the AFFC had a Stalker survive, 2 mechs and 2 vehs flee.  The Stalker got bypassed, too slow

Binary Supernova engagement
5 Gargs, 4 TW, 1 Warhawk, & 10 Ele (canon unit) vs mixed weight 36 mechs & 2 veh companies (https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=64929.0)
   Wolves lost 3 Elemental points while AFFC is down about two lances of mechs and at least two lances of vehs, and a company of moderately damaged mechs

So if you are wargaming, there will be plenty of room and if its the Clans IMO they are going to take the most open path to the objective- pasture land, wheat fields, whatever.  The Clan force would have the room to maneuver to keep range open though the IS force would have the ability to push the Clan force against a terrain feature.  If table top . . . are we talking 3x2 maps?  3x3?  More than likely the IS is going to be able to close up and pin the Clans to a artificial 'wall' and will change some of the configs I would want.

Wargaming?
veteran Nova
Stormcrow Prime, Gargoyle C, Ice Ferret A, Linebacker A, Adder B & 5 Elemental (L) points

Tabletop?
veteran Supernova Binary
Gargoyle C, Stormcrow C, Timberwolf C, Adder D, Ice Ferret D & 5 Elemental (L) points and a Elemental star

Edit- I meant Garg Cs for the two forces rather than the Bs I initially said
« Last Edit: 12 April 2019, 19:01:23 by Colt Ward »
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 12 April 2019, 11:43:53 »

Looks suspiciously like the Black Widow company from the old WD sourcebook...

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 12 April 2019, 17:00:01 »
Just to be clear, there's no "gotcha" moment here. It's not secretly a super elite company, or comguards loaded down with royal battlemechs, wolf dragoons being wolf dragoons, or even a company of cloned Morgan Kells all with phantom mech skill.  :D It's just a company I put together from the minis I had immediately on hand. The composition I think fits well enough that they could be Fedcom, Combine, Mercenaries, or Rasalhague, but there's nothing particularly special about them.

EDIT: Unless you count the fact that the Shadow Hawk is the most heavily armored unit of the bunch, of course.  ;)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #17 on: 12 April 2019, 17:01:54 »
Sure, I just went with two different sets of playstyles/circumstances . . . now I am going to have to test it against the Bot though . . .
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 12 April 2019, 17:03:35 »
*snip*
EDIT: Unless you count the fact that the Shadow Hawk is the most heavily armored unit of the bunch, of course.  ;)
That's... just WRONG... on SO many levels...  :D

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #19 on: 12 April 2019, 17:22:43 »
That's... just WRONG... on SO many levels...  :D

Actually, doesn't the Warhammer mount a half ton more armor?

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 12 April 2019, 17:59:55 »
Just to be clear, there's no "gotcha" moment here. It's not secretly a super elite company, or comguards loaded down with royal battlemechs, wolf dragoons being wolf dragoons, or even a company of cloned Morgan Kells all with phantom mech skill.  :D It's just a company I put together from the minis I had immediately on hand. The composition I think fits well enough that they could be Fedcom, Combine, Mercenaries, or Rasalhague, but there's nothing particularly special about them.

Even the Hatchetman's presence doesn't preclude a Kuritan force. Given its importance as being the first newly designed chassis in centuries, the Dracs went about reverse-engineering it and were producing a few of their own by the time the War of 3039 rolled around, presumably gaining even more through large-scale battlefield exchange.

It didn't escape my notice.  In my bid, the Mad Cat is the biggest mech on both sides of the battle.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 12 April 2019, 18:00:59 »
Actually, doesn't the Warhammer mount a half ton more armor?

Ruger

You're right. For some reason I thought it was the other way around.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #22 on: 14 April 2019, 20:24:53 »
Well . . . I put them in MM, and the BV was interesting . . . I gave the IS force 7 reg pilots in lighter machines and vet in the heavier ones.  But even then, the Clan force was over BV so I had to adjust down with the vet pilots.

Ice Ferret A (2/3)
Linebacker A (2/3)
Adder B (3/4)
Pouncer C (2/3)
and a single Ele (L) @ 3/4

Gives me a Wolf command star . . . fighting on 64x64 hex map.
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #23 on: 14 April 2019, 22:07:24 »
Question: are Morale or Forced Withdraw rules in effect?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #24 on: 14 April 2019, 23:32:19 »
I played with Forced Withdraw, and the previously described zell

Ice Ferret lost the LBX arm, side torso & CT engine for engine death
Linebacker took a LRM20 TAC from the Longbow to hit the gyro x2 and engine
Adder took a engine TAC from a Wasp but survived
Pouncer lost the UAC/10 arm (with 4 rounds left) and a gyro TAC
One Elemental died and two were at 0 armor

IS force wiped out

Playing hide & seek among the canyons & hills helped the IS with their number of jumpers.
Colt Ward

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 15 April 2019, 14:49:51 »
Just to be different:  three blasts from a naval laser. >:D

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #26 on: 15 April 2019, 17:30:34 »
Just to be different:  three blasts from a naval laser. >:D

i found the jaguar

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #27 on: 15 April 2019, 17:44:40 »
The Jaguar, or the Snow Raven?  ^-^

massey

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 15 April 2019, 18:16:13 »
The situation: Some fairly normal world, circa 3051. The Clans have invaded and the Inner Sphere defends.

The defenders are a company of inner sphere mechs:
Command Lance:
Warhammer 6R
Hatchetman 3F
Wasp 1A
Other Wasp 1A

Support Lance:
Shadow Hawk 2H
Rifleman 3N
More Rifleman 3N
Flea 4

Fire Lance:
Centurion 9-A
Longbow OW
Whitworth 1
Ostscout 7J

Imagine yourself as a clan commander (whichever invading clan you'd like). What would you bid to take on such a force.

(this should not be thought of as a competition, where you need to beat the bids of other posters. Purely a thought exercise. What would you imagine a reasonable clan force to fight this company would be?)

I'd go with a light/medium Clan Star with Elemental support.

Dasher Prime
Fenris Prime
Dragonfly Prime
Ryoken Prime
Black Hawk Prime

Each starts out carrying a point of Elementals.  I think that would do it.

The Dasher, Dragonfly, and the Fenris are going to haul butt towards the Fire Lance.  They'll avoid LOS with anything until they get behind whatever cover the Fire Lance is using to block sight to themselves.  If the Ostscout moves to spot for indirect fire, the Dragonfly will break off and engage with pulse lasers.  It can go anywhere the Ostscout can go, and it will have decent chances to hit.  The Ostscout can't really do anything in retaliation.  Anyway, once the three fast movers get into the IS mech's backfield, they'll drop Elementals and then stay inside the LRM minimum range.  All of them are capable of a +4 movement mod pretty easily, and so they really only have to worry about the Whitworth's 3 mediums and the Centurion's AC-10.  Even those will have a very hard time hitting.  The Elementals will empty their SRMs and then swarm anybody who can't get away.  The Fenris will dance with the Centurion, tearing him apart with his ER PPC.

Meanwhile, the Black Hawk and the Ryoken will break to the other edge of the mapsheet, moving towards the rest of the forces, keeping to-hit mods high, with the Ryoken sniping at ER Large Laser range.  There'll be a lot of "move forward, then back up" action as they try to stay in the 12-15 hex range.  The goal will be to target the Riflemen and hopefully put some holes in the glass cannons.  If any fast movers come in (Wasps, Shadow Hawk, Flea), the Black Hawk will nuke them.

Once either the Riflemen or the Fire Lance falls, it's time to move in on the rest of the company.  If the IS side got some lucky rolls, we might have lost the Dasher (it doesn't take many lucky rolls for that to happen).  The Black Hawk is the killer, going after the Warhammer.  He's going to move in, dropping Elementals somewhere close to the battle so they can provide support fire, then it's 7 ER Mediums a turn.  The Ryoken will keep moving and will fire at whatever gives him the lowest modifier.  I'll take 6s to hit a Hatchetman who didn't think he had to move over 8s against a Shadow Hawk who is making a nuisance of himself.

When the Dasher/Dragonfly/Fenris group arrives, they'll go after anyone unengaged.  The Fenris is looking for quick kills at medium range, while the other two are angling for back shots.

I should lose most of the Elementals and have at least two mechs still operational by the end.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #29 on: 15 April 2019, 19:11:36 »
Five point hits can add up pretty fast, especially when they hit medium range about the same time you do.

Pretty sure fifteen-point hits add up faster, when they're coming from beyond the range of most the IS company's weapons, and they're hitting targets with tissue-thin armor. A Timbie trio could easily kite most of this company to pieces, assuming we're not talking IS elites or a phone-booth-sized map or something.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1