Author Topic: New player questions  (Read 3917 times)

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: New player questions
« Reply #30 on: 21 February 2019, 21:21:09 »
to be honest, if I was going to "adjust" ammo supplies,
I would go with autocannons 100 damage/ton meaning the ac2 would go to 50/25 rounds /ton
LRMS would be 120 damage/ton
and srms would be 200 damage/ton (100 missiles) with total ammo limit adjusted by payloads, IE an srm 6 launcher would carry 96 missiles onboard if 1 tom of total ammo, but at 2 tons it would be 198

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #31 on: 22 February 2019, 00:44:45 »
I'd love for every ammo type in the game to be set at 120 dmg/ton.

Its a lovely # that currently matches Gauss Rifles but is dividable by 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,10,12,15,20,30,40, or nearly every weapon in the game.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #32 on: 22 February 2019, 09:20:44 »
I'd love for every ammo type in the game to be set at 120 dmg/ton.

Its a lovely # that currently matches Gauss Rifles but is dividable by 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,10,12,15,20,30,40, or nearly every weapon in the game.

No THATS a logical rule change I could get behind!
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #33 on: 22 February 2019, 09:31:32 »
No THATS a logical rule change I could get behind!

And it makes specially ac ammo better for the 20 and 2, so they get 3 shots/30 shots rather than 2/22
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #34 on: 22 February 2019, 09:43:17 »
would that leave anything else delinquent besides MML 7 and MML9/(i)ATM9?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #35 on: 22 February 2019, 09:55:42 »
would that leave anything else delinquent besides MML 7 and MML9/(i)ATM9?

I don't know, probably just them

make the MML9/ATM9 a total of 12 shots (12 x 9 = 108)

and the MML a total of 18 shots (7 x 18 = 126)

Yes, the totals are off from the rest, but, something visually appealy about even numbers or 'round' numbers (15 or any other number fights nice in the mathematical sense as counting by 5's is an early math skill).

I.E. 120 / 9 = is 13.33333, So giving the ATM9 13 shots per ton, looks...to me at least...off. Like a typo, or something. Next up is going to 14 looks off again, like it should be 15. 12 oddly looks OK as a number of shots.

AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Mursusquad

• Recruit
« Reply #36 on: 22 February 2019, 18:26:56 »
So, first game using full lances is done (both my friend and I had the day off so we decided to play today instead of tomorrow).

We took about 6 hours and ended up calling the game done when we both had two mechs still alive and kicking. We added very light narrative of fighting for land control, where I ended up ceding the area as my mechs were worse off and in return of being allowed to retrieve my fallen mechs before the opposing force comes to claim the area.

The game was exciting through the entirety of the 6 hours. The forces we used were these:

LCT-1V, GRF-1N, TDR-5S and AWS8Q
vs
COM-2D, WVR-6R, CPLT-C1 and BLR-1G

I used the latter lance. The game was a bit uneven at the beginning. I was left fending 3 against 4 after the first hit on the Battlemaster got a through-the-armor critical hit and using floating crits it ended up in right torso and... in the Machine Gun ammo bin. This was on round 3 or so. In comparison the Awesome ended up getting all the front torso (left, right and center) and most of the arm (right completely and left halfway) armor destroyed. We counted that it took a total of 244 points of damage before finally getting it's center torso destroyed. It was... a very cinematic moment. Battlemaster rolling forwards to challenge the Awesome and the first time Awesome shoots at the Battlemaster, it gets put down hard.

It was a small miracle I managed to fight to a standstill during the next 5 hours, but the absloute MVP was the Catapult and the Commando who did a lot of spotting for the LRMs.

But not to stray too far from the topic, questions.

How exactly does activation of mechs work when there is uneven number? We looked over the table in the AGOC booklet but we really couldn't understand it.

Second is thoughts on tinkering with the record sheet mechs. Like if you wanted to remove Machine Guns and it's ammo from a Battlemaster :) Is this generally a cool thing to do? Or are such modifications frowned on by players or storywise in the Battletech universe?

Additional question about crits. Say you get hit in the arm and it destroys all the internal points and the additional points are transferred to the adjacent torso which also goes internal. Do you roll a crit chance for both the arm and the torso in this case? Or just one? Does the arm crit transfer if there are no locations to destroy in the arm?

Then a couple of line of sight dilemmas. A mech is in depth 1 water does it have a line of sight to a mech that is behind a level 1 hill? Then if a mech is standing on a level 2 hill with a level 3 hill between that and a mech that is out in the open some 6 hexes away on level 0 with at least 1 hex away from any hills, do both mechs get partial cover against each other? What happens if there are two level 3 hills between them, does it change anything? A mech stands on a level 1 hill, there are two light forests between it and another mech (all on level 0) does the light forests do anything as they cover only half of the mech?

And that concludes the questions. Slowly learning but so far each game has been pretty fun! I didn't even realise the passing of the time for the first 4 hours this time! :)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #37 on: 22 February 2019, 18:40:23 »
sounds like you had fun

But not to stray too far from the topic, questions.

How exactly does activation of mechs work when there is uneven number? We looked over the table in the AGOC booklet but we really couldn't understand it.

you're working toward an even ratio - 2:1, 3:1, 4:1, etc and keep moving one unit each until you've reached that ratio. so if for example you have 5 units and your opponent has 3, you each move one and that gives you 4 left vs 2 left. now you have a 2:1 ratio so the person with 4 units moves two at a time vs the person with 2 that moves one.

Second is thoughts on tinkering with the record sheet mechs. Like if you wanted to remove Machine Guns and it's ammo from a Battlemaster :) Is this generally a cool thing to do? Or are such modifications frowned on by players or storywise in the Battletech universe?

there is a full set of customization rules for in-universe tinkering as what you describe. for your purposes, you can just edit the mechs. due to a large volume of munchkins back in the day (like 1991), a lot of players are twitchy about allowing customs for fear of getting a bunch of optimized min/max machines (emotional scars heal very slowly). but if you want to try it out, go for it!

Additional question about crits. Say you get hit in the arm and it destroys all the internal points and the additional points are transferred to the adjacent torso which also goes internal. Do you roll a crit chance for both the arm and the torso in this case? Or just one? Does the arm crit transfer if there are no locations to destroy in the arm?

you roll for a crit in both locations, though if there are no explosive components in the arm, you can just skip it because you're losing the arm anyway. If the arm's actuators have all been previously blown out, then yes, the potential crit will transfer to the torso.

Then a couple of line of sight dilemmas. A mech is in depth 1 water does it have a line of sight to a mech that is behind a level 1 hill?

yes

Then if a mech is standing on a level 2 hill with a level 3 hill between that and a mech that is out in the open some 6 hexes away on level 0 with at least 1 hex away from any hills, do both mechs get partial cover against each other?

the mech on the level 2 gets partial cover. mechs never get partial cover when like Anakin Skywalker, occupy the low ground.

What happens if there are two level 3 hills between them, does it change anything?

nope. only a level 4 hill or taller blocks LoS in this case or if the low-ground mech is adjacent to a lv2+ hill

A mech stands on a level 1 hill, there are two light forests between it and another mech (all on level 0) does the light forests do anything as they cover only half of the mech?

no benefit as the mech is considered at level 3 and the forest at level 2. as forests do not provide partial cover, there is no defensive bonus. there might be something in the optional advanced rules about leg hits potentially hitting the forest but i don't know those.
« Last Edit: 22 February 2019, 18:56:00 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #38 on: 22 February 2019, 18:55:21 »
Further:

Customization is covered in techmanual (get the pdf, the dead tree version is out of print right now) and a bit in the game of armoured combat box rules.

To make it easy, grab megamekLab and do it on computer, then print out the sheet.

Some big notes and caveats here:

A lot of players use stock only due to previous munchkins. Any game at a convention will likely be stock designs. That said, battle value is a decent measure of worth, so pay attention to that if you are customizing (megamekLab does the work for you to figure it out).  The lances that were suggested before may need to change based on customizations you make, which can make things lopsided.

Megamek is not officially licensed, and is free (it is the tool used to help make the official record sheets).

Be very careful mixing eras of technology, as you can see with battle value, a single clan timber wolf (mad cat) has almost as much as your two heaviest mechs combined. (2737 for the mad cat. 1500 for your battlemaster, 1399 for your catapult).

No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 22 February 2019, 19:23:38 »
There is a reason the Awesome is highly prized.   8)

Another vote of caution for customizing.  You may not always be playing with optimized designs or designs of your own choosing (e.g. official events), and even then an uberMech may get taken out early in a game.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #40 on: 22 February 2019, 19:52:00 »
I can't recommend TechManual highly enough, and TacOps adds even more gear.  StratOps and Interstellar Operations add a bit more each as well.  The pdf route is definitely the way to go, at least at first.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #41 on: 23 February 2019, 11:26:50 »
As has been said, you'll need Tech Manual for information about unit construction and how much components weigh. Or if new Introductory Rulebook has enough information, you can just swap out the equipment. Strategic Operations has further rules for custom jobs. At easiest and most restrictive level, it is turning medium lasers at rear arc to front ("Intensify forward firepower!") or swapping out Large Laser for Extended Range Large Laser.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.