Author Topic: World of Warships Beta  (Read 158609 times)

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
Re: World of Warships Beta
« Reply #1050 on: 29 March 2018, 01:36:16 »
I think I still prefer Tier VII and going back to my old favourite HMS Warspite yesterday made me realise what a jump there is to the three Tuer VII RN BBs
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1051 on: 29 March 2018, 22:07:13 »
Tiers V through VII do seem the most fun for me. One day I'll get a Tier X I'm sure but I'm not racing to get one. It took me several years to get my E-100 on WoT so this is the same (and the E-100 is still the only Tier X I own :) ) .

Japanese: I've kinda stopped at Nagato. Its fun. Will progress but no rush. I have stopped on the Cruisers with Takao. The DD's I love and am continuing on the main line and do want to get to X. On the new line I'll probably stop at VIII.

USN: I'm at VI now but want to go all the way to X, same with cruisers. Stopped at VII with DD.

German: Not really pushing the DD line. Just got Hipper and will go on to Roon. I have Gneisnau and don't feel much desire to go past Bismarck at the moment.

Soviet: N/A

French: Made it to VIII on the Cruisers and won't push beyond, happy with VIII. Just started the BB (Tier III) line.

British: BB I'm at V and will likely go all the way. I have stopped at the Fiji for the Cruisers, maybe I'll feel like going beyond her one day.

Hoping to see an Italian tech tree one of these days.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1052 on: 29 March 2018, 22:17:03 »
Considering you can only go up to tier 8 on the alternate IJN DD line I doubt you'll have trouble with that. :P

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #1053 on: 30 March 2018, 18:54:44 »
Considering you can only go up to tier 8 on the alternate IJN DD line I doubt you'll have trouble with that. :P

Point!  ::)
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1054 on: 31 March 2018, 09:05:33 »
Picked up my second tier X today.  My Gearing h as been joined by a Des Moines.

I wasn't planning on the Des Moines, i barely play tier 9 as it is.  But recently i have been putting more time in with the Baltimore.  Played carefully, the Baltimore can take an amazing beating and dish it back out.  If you make it to the late game you can start bullying DD's and cruisers or taunting BB's while burning them down.  Early in a game, i was protected from the BB's that could shoot me, radar-ed the closest cap and with the nearest friendly destroyer took out the two destroyers in the cap and ran off their supporting CA's.

I think i may like the Des Memes, time will tell.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1055 on: 31 March 2018, 14:07:52 »
Secondary build, secondary range of 8.6 KM.  Which suits my late-ish game brawling nicely,  4.8 second reload for the main guns.  This thing is fun except for the fact there is always a Yamato that finds away to take half my HP when i am angled against it.

This is tons of fun so far. 
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #1056 on: 31 March 2018, 16:47:01 »
That's impressive secondary range for a USN ship.  If never managed to get more that 6km
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1057 on: 06 April 2018, 07:14:31 »
That's impressive secondary range for a USN ship.  If never managed to get more that 6km
I have secondary range on the Baltimore and 7.2 so it's only a higher tier thing unfortunately.  I think they Americans would benefit from a higher secondary range considering those are essentially Gearing turrets slapped on the side.

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #1058 on: 06 April 2018, 21:20:36 »
Boys, if you guys have a Twitch Prime account, you can link it to WoWS right now to claim a free Texas BB and some camo. I created a Twitch Prime account through my Amazon Prime account. FYI.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1059 on: 03 May 2018, 17:47:37 »
I do like the changes to Hipper and Eugen.  They are much more competitive now.  Eugen is now a toss up with the Atago which is really nice to see.  Although once the Baltimore comes down that may change.  Mmmmmmmmmmm  SHS shells and armor.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #1060 on: 04 May 2018, 01:12:47 »
I do like the changes to Hipper and Eugen.  They are much more competitive now.  Eugen is now a toss up with the Atago which is really nice to see.  Although once the Baltimore comes down that may change.  Mmmmmmmmmmm  SHS shells and armor.

I'm not a fan of Graf Zeppelin - weirdly over powered; the Bf-109 was not competitive with the Corsair!

They've got me playing more just at the moment with some special events and I'm grinding through trying to make Monarch competitive - the low HP of the stock hulls of her and North Carolina are painful

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1061 on: 04 May 2018, 12:52:28 »

I'm not a fan of Graf Zeppelin - weirdly over powered; the Bf-109 was not competitive with the Corsair!

Wasn't it?  They never faced one another in combat, but a late model Messerschmitt like a Bf 109K might surprise you.  The K was considered competitive with the P-51D and in fact I'd expect one to handily outperform a Corsair at high altitude.

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #1062 on: 05 May 2018, 04:00:26 »
Wasn't it?  They never faced one another in combat, but a late model Messerschmitt like a Bf 109K might surprise you.  The K was considered competitive with the P-51D and in fact I'd expect one to handily outperform a Corsair at high altitude.

On paper but it sounds like the 30mm cannon was unreliable, the pilots mostly poorly trained and the situational awareness problems of the design from the poor fields of views from the cockpit were never rectified

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1063 on: 05 May 2018, 17:21:43 »

On paper but it sounds like the 30mm cannon was unreliable, the pilots mostly poorly trained and the situational awareness problems of the design from the poor fields of views from the cockpit were never rectified

And yet, fighting at high altitude (which is what it was designed for) I'd expect it to clean an Corsair's clock with ease because that big radial used in the Corsair and Hellcat was optimised for low/medium altitude combat, which was the norm in the Pacific theatre.

And for the record, I'm not claiming that the Bf 109K was necessarily "better" than the F4U - The F4U was certainly more versatile - but you said not competitive and as an interceptor that depends entirely on what version of the Bf 109 we're talking about.  The 109K was just as fast as the F4U-4, could out climb it and had a much more powerful armament.  That sounds competitive to me...

Pilot quality is beside the point, I thought we were comparing airframes - otherwise lets talk about the Experten that flew the Bf 109K.

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #1064 on: 05 May 2018, 17:45:04 »
And yet, fighting at high altitude (which is what it was designed for) I'd expect it to clean an Corsair's clock with ease because that big radial used in the Corsair and Hellcat was optimised for low/medium altitude combat, which was the norm in the Pacific theatre.

And for the record, I'm not claiming that the Bf 109K was necessarily "better" than the F4U - The F4U was certainly more versatile - but you said not competitive and as an interceptor that depends entirely on what version of the Bf 109 we're talking about.  The 109K was just as fast as the F4U-4, could out climb it and had a much more powerful armament.  That sounds competitive to me...

Pilot quality is beside the point, I thought we were comparing airframes - otherwise lets talk about the Experten that flew the Bf 109K.

But the Graf Zepplin is supposed to have Bf109Ts which are a variant of the Emil which was Spanish Civil War to Battle of Britain era

The bombers should be easy meat as well - the Stuka did not do well against fighters

Also, the fact that the premium ship was pulled after only a couple of days for being unbalanced rather supports my point

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #1065 on: 05 May 2018, 18:56:14 »
I think I read that it was pulled because the live game version was horrible and in no way worth buying.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1066 on: 05 May 2018, 19:19:30 »
I think I read that it was pulled because the live game version was horrible and in no way worth buying.
The live version was disaster, the STs and other testers were trying to warn WG about its dismal performance.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1067 on: 05 May 2018, 19:20:58 »
It was seriously broken.  People were allowed a refund for the ship.  Those that kept it were then beta testers for the proper live version that went live a few weeks back.

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1068 on: 06 May 2018, 15:16:55 »
But the Graf Zepplin is supposed to have Bf109Ts which are a variant of the Emil which was Spanish Civil War to Battle of Britain era

That is a fair point.

The bombers should be easy meat as well - the Stuka did not do well against fighters

No dive bomber did well against fighters.  We all know what Spitfires did to Stukas in the Battle of Britain, but in terms of performance as a bomb truck the Ju 87D was as good as any carrier borne dive bomber of the war.  SB2Cs and D3A were just as vulnerable to fighters as Stukas, but the operational environment of the Pacific was very different to the Eastern and Western front.

Also, the fact that the premium ship was pulled after only a couple of days for being unbalanced rather supports my point

Eh, Wargaming has long since given up on any semblance of historical fidelity.  I suppose the best we can hope for is balance - they certainly seem to have dropped the ball on that front.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #1069 on: 06 May 2018, 16:10:13 »
and I have learned from this exchange about the later-War developments of the Bf109 which I had not known of when you corrected me

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #1070 on: 18 June 2018, 19:43:38 »
So how is everyone liking the US Cruiser update? Pensacola is a lot more fun at Tier 6 that's for sure.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1071 on: 18 June 2018, 19:51:26 »
The new light cruiser line is coming this week or next.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1072 on: 18 June 2018, 19:56:36 »
I've been maintaining for a while that they could have not changed a single stat but make the Pensacola and New Orleans a tier lower and no one would even notice.

I'll admit I was partially right.  The Pensacola's firepower does make the Aoba feel a bit weak in comparison now but since I don't really play my Aoba outside operations much anymore it doesn't actually bother me too much.

Now that the MM has evened out and not everyone is playing American cruisers the overabundance of RADAR isn't even that bad anymore.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1073 on: 18 June 2018, 20:36:42 »
Not a Cleveland fan.  When you have 150 hits and do a whole 40K damage, there's something wrong.  It might get a bit better with IFHE once my commander is funny unlocked from the transfer.  It just feels underwhelming and the rainbow arcs are really terrible.

When your top tier, Baltimore is loads of fun.  Bottom tier you really feel the lack of heal at tier 8. 

Tier 7 New Orleans is glorious.  Bullying tier 7 cruisers is loads of fun.

Pepsi is pepsi.  The loss of bow armor has been felt several times, but so far she seems to fit the glass hammer really well at tier 6.

Ambivalent towards the Buffalo at the moment. 

Having waaaaaaaaaay too much fun with the Des Memes.  Full health broadside on Moskva at 6KM?  DELETE!  Low health Hindenburg chasing you?  Explode it with HE!  While baiting him to use Ap, that was fun.  Too many BB's?  Find an island and BURN THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!  Loads of maniacal cackling while driving it, and plenty of tears when the squishiness shows.  It's equally hilarious and terrifying to have 9 people aiming at you early in the game too.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #1074 on: 19 June 2018, 14:29:17 »
I'm getting used to the changes but am still more of a fan of the RN line - I'll accept the loss of HE in exchange for healing

What is also annoying me is trying to grind through to get Indianapolis and other things needs too much play of my Tier VIII ships which means I'm mostly chew-toys for Tier X ships

I prefer Tier VII but equally want to improve my Tier VIII ships...

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1075 on: 19 June 2018, 16:17:53 »
I'm getting used to the changes but am still more of a fan of the RN line - I'll accept the loss of HE in exchange for healing

What is also annoying me is trying to grind through to get Indianapolis and other things needs too much play of my Tier VIII ships which means I'm mostly chew-toys for Tier X ships

I prefer Tier VII but equally want to improve my Tier VIII ships...
Tier 8 needs a heal because of how often it is uptiered to 10.  8's can handle 9's but the tier 10's are monsters compared to the 8's.

I think the Indy missions allows you to use tier 6 and above.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #1076 on: 20 June 2018, 14:29:04 »
I think the Indy missions allows you to use tier 6 and above.

They do, I am trying to play both ends against the middle and get the points from both that and the American Cruisers/Halsey missions

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1077 on: 20 June 2018, 15:56:40 »

They do, I am trying to play both ends against the middle and get the points from both that and the American Cruisers/Halsey missions
Gotcha.  There's a lot of 6's and 7's i like so i'm just letting the Halsey stuff happen as it happens.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #1078 on: 28 June 2018, 05:08:15 »
'ere if anyone wants to Divsion up for the new op lemme know :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #1079 on: 28 June 2018, 12:06:38 »
'ere if anyone wants to Divsion up for the new op lemme know :)

Where do you play? I'm on the European server