Author Topic: The Diamond Shark tank and Sea Fox preserve: Cause somebody has to start it...  (Read 238053 times)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Well I don't know about keeping secrets from themselves. But yes, it is kind of terrifying that we assume we are making rediculous amounts of money but have no idea what we're doing with it.

In the past they made sure their infrastructure and touman was top notch. But hopefully keeping everything in the chaineline islands contentious and at each others throat isn't a prelude to what we plan to do in the inner spher-... what... we are doing in the inner sphere

With the davions...

It remains to be seen.  Word is we've got as far as the Calderon Protectorate (iirc).  If my favorite Clan could somehow hook up with the true inheritors of the periphery faction I used to like the best...  well, that would be too cool to ever happen so I'll stop there before I mess it all up by forgetting that nukes are pretty common in that part of the universe.

As for the secrets, it's little things.  In FM Warden Clans a galaxy disapears, is said to exist but was unaccounted for (it was Alpha Galaxy, and it was taking over in the Chainelanes), or Semi Kalasa's crafting of the Wars of Reaving Document.   

Secrets are often a part of business, so I have no problems with the Foxes doing that in a report to be read by all other Clans (who are largely anti-business in action) like both of the FM: WC and the WoR.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Keeping the entire universe at war is lucrative for business. But I'm just hoping that we are nicer guys than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
Out of curiosity where did you guys find that cool sea fox emblem?
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
just do a search in google. it pops up right quick and in a hurry. :D

So out of curiousity, why do Ghost Bears and Hells Horses get advanced elemental training in a time of war? FM:WC says that Clan Diamond Shark has five exclusive bloodnames that are insanely good elementals. Whats with that?

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ

Mmm... Tried that and got one with a white background  ???
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
You have my permission to right click save mine and use it. :D

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots

So out of curiousity, why do Ghost Bears and Hells Horses get advanced elemental training in a time of war? FM:WC says that Clan Diamond Shark has five exclusive bloodnames that are insanely good elementals. Whats with that?

Because the Advanced Elemental Training is a special program that the training protocols have not left Hell's Horses or
Ghost Bear because the other Clans, while they may have good Elementals, do not have a culture that so integrates
Elementals to the extent that the Bears and Horses do. I mean, outside of the Jaguars and their "we eat steel plates
because the scientists told us we need more iron in our diet" Khans, how many Clans have had Elementals rise to their
Khanship and saKhanship outside of the Hell's Horses and Ghost Bears?
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
It's not as unusual as you'd think for elementals to advance to high position.  Biccon Winters of the Nova Cats was an elemental and she served as Oathmaster.  Klaus Harper, the Snow Raven Loremaster, was an elemental.  In the DA, Patrik Fetladral of the Wolves in Exiles is an elemental as well.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

wellspring

• Lieutenant

The FM explains it... not only have the Sharks traded for DNA and breeding protocols (especially w/ the Horses, their former neighbors on Strato Domingo).

The shark foxes also (like the vipers) have extra-large sibkos. The vipers did it so they could have super-stringent Trials of Position (which for statistical reasons I've explained elsewhere actually doesn't improve the quality of your warriors). The Foxes did it so they could be more daring with their genetic experiments while still having a good number of new warriors.

Of the three major phenotypes, only Elementals have been a clear, obvious, unqualified success. Mechwarriors seem better overall but the best Inner Sphere mechwarriors can still compete. The aerospace phenotype is (IMO) a failure. Now, the real question is this: do the sharks have so many elemental bloodlines because it's the one with the strongest competitive advantage, or did the sharks' decision to focus on elemental breeding raise the quality of the phenotype overall?

We're about to find out. As the Sea Foxes, we're probably watching the birth of an aerospace-focused clan. Plus an infusion of freeborn genes into the eugenics program. Will the aerospace phenotype finally see some progress? Or will they go the way of the ghost bears and throw out the phenotype altogether and start over?

BTW to StCptMara, wasn't Lincoln Osis an Elemental? Not just a khan, but the ilKhan! Elementals are not often Khans, but they're not vanishingly rare, either. On the other hand, since there are so many more elementals than mechwarriors, your personal probability if you are an elemental of making high office is very low. Probably because you'll get massacred in augmented Trials.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Because the Advanced Elemental Training is a special program that the training protocols have not left Hell's Horses

I didnt consider that it was training and not breeding. Good call. :)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Mmm... Tried that and got one with a white background  ???

It's on page one of this thread  O0    It has the nice transparent background that blends with the site. 

I used to use it.  I'll use it again if we think we can drown out a whole thread's page in a sea of Sea Fox clone avatars using the chatterweb like they own it or something...   :))

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
The FM explains it... not only have the Sharks traded for DNA and breeding protocols (especially w/ the Horses, their former neighbors on Strato Domingo).

The shark foxes also (like the vipers) have extra-large sibkos. The vipers did it so they could have super-stringent Trials of Position (which for statistical reasons I've explained elsewhere actually doesn't improve the quality of your warriors). The Foxes did it so they could be more daring with their genetic experiments while still having a good number of new warriors.

Of the three major phenotypes, only Elementals have been a clear, obvious, unqualified success. Mechwarriors seem better overall but the best Inner Sphere mechwarriors can still compete. The aerospace phenotype is (IMO) a failure. Now, the real question is this: do the sharks have so many elemental bloodlines because it's the one with the strongest competitive advantage, or did the sharks' decision to focus on elemental breeding raise the quality of the phenotype overall?

We're about to find out. As the Sea Foxes, we're probably watching the birth of an aerospace-focused clan. Plus an infusion of freeborn genes into the eugenics program. Will the aerospace phenotype finally see some progress? Or will they go the way of the ghost bears and throw out the phenotype altogether and start over?

BTW to StCptMara, wasn't Lincoln Osis an Elemental? Not just a khan, but the ilKhan! Elementals are not often Khans, but they're not vanishingly rare, either. On the other hand, since there are so many more elementals than mechwarriors, your personal probability if you are an elemental of making high office is very low. Probably because you'll get massacred in augmented Trials.

I always imagine the Sea Fox Elemental corps to be top-notch space marines.  And personally, Elementals who fail their Trial of position would make great merchant marine candidates, similar to the police subcaste in that they failed to qualify for first or second line duty, but had advanced so far in their training that they still represent a pricey investment in time and training to just demote to be a laborer.   If they had flushed out a year earlier, that's different I imagine.   

Not just Lincoln Osis, but Hannibal Banacek too was an ilKhan Elemental. 

Also, Khan Dejarassi and I think Kelton Myers too, were Elemental Khans and saKhans for the Scorpions, who are also big into Elementals, just without the pedigree of Bears and Horses.  Drugs and advanced scientific technique are too dangerous to combine even for them.   O:-)

Wasn't Raina Montose an elemental who pilots a 'Mech?  She looks and seems like a healthy-sized warrior  I could be wrong on that one, but it would make sense. 

Constans Cluff of the Blood Spirits also :)  Definitely an Elemental.   

And Klaus Harper was an Elemental Loremaster for the Ravens, who declined nomination for saKhan and then conflict for the post of Khan, deferring to Lynn McKenna basically.

Elementals get their due, no doubt.

wellspring

• Lieutenant
It's on page one of this thread  O0    It has the nice transparent background that blends with the site. 

I used to use it.  I'll use it again if we think we can drown out a whole thread's page in a sea of Sea Fox clone avatars using the chatterweb like they own it or something...   :))

Maybe we can find a way to induce HikageMaru to draw up some updated and customized Sea Fox banners and avatars.

I always imagine the Sea Fox Elemental corps to be top-notch space marines.  And personally, Elementals who fail their Trial of position would make great merchant marine candidates, similar to the police subcaste in that they failed to qualify for first or second line duty, but had advanced so far in their training that they still represent a pricey investment in time and training to just demote to be a laborer.   If they had flushed out a year earlier, that's different I imagine. 

I agree about the marines-- but remember, these are still warriors-- even the garrisons and police force are officially warriors. Per Warriors of Kerensky, they're their own (very low status) subcaste (see pg 34 and 62-63), composed of freeborns and test-downs.

Now, I'm assuming here that they don't mean warriors who tested down on their initial Trial of Position. From the novels and sourcebooks (including other parts of WoK) it's clear that most of these end up as Scientists or other castes. However, warriors do have to re-test periodically, with failed Trials leading to demotion. Presumably, a warrior who tests down after joining the warrior caste gets dumped into the garrison and paramilitary police subcastes.

Which is consistent with what you're saying, but I just wanted to mention the ambiguity of the source material and quibble slightly about caste distinctions. ;)

Not just Lincoln Osis, but Hannibal Banacek too was an ilKhan Elemental. 

Oh yeah! Good point.

I didnt consider that it was training and not breeding. Good call. :)

I've always wondered about that... How much of a phenotype is genetics, how much is training, and how much are biochemical treatments to a developing fetus/infant/child to cause them to grow in a particular way? The sourcebooks hint pretty strongly that there's more to their biology than simple selective breeding.

Nerroth

• Captain
I just had a diabolical idea over in another thread.

If the Sea Foxes manage to safely deliver Julian Davion to New Avalon, part of their reward will be the claiming of three as-yet-unspecified star systems within the Federated Suns, or at least what's leff of it by the time the dust settles from the Draconian and Capellan invasions.

Well... what if one of those three systems, through sheer coincidence, happened to be the location of either Taussen or Obeedah?

Just imagine how well that would go down for all parties involved.

Wolflord

• Major
  • Look Ma! I have enough posts for a time jump!
I just had a diabolical idea over in another thread.

If the Sea Foxes manage to safely deliver Julian Davion to New Avalon, part of their reward will be the claiming of three as-yet-unspecified star systems within the Federated Suns, or at least what's leff of it by the time the dust settles from the Draconian and Capellan invasions.

Well... what if one of those three systems, through sheer coincidence, happened to be the location of either Taussen or Obeedah?

Just imagine how well that would go down for all parties involved.

Pppaaarrrtttyyy! Bring your own nukes!  }:) would you suppose the Foxes had figured it out ahead of time and were tidying up or do you figure they interested parties just blunder into each other?

wellspring

• Lieutenant
I'm against taking planets, except as trade worlds. Planets have to be defended. Planets create channel conflict between you and your customers. If you're going to have planets, put them in the middle of nowhere and use a command circuit like a civilized fox.

After the Shark Fox model has proven so successful, why create a de facto OZ at this late date??

Update: Lol didn't think of those particular worlds. I still think it's a bad idea, but I can see the point.

BTW, love Wolflord's idea. Which actually means that Obeedah and Taussen would fit for the whole extra trade worlds thing. Trick would be A) taking ownership without unleashing whatever defenses/traps are there, and B) convincing everyone else that the inevitable conspiracy theories that the Sharks and Blakists were in cahoots is a pack of lies.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2013, 15:04:42 by wellspring »

Wolflord

• Major
  • Look Ma! I have enough posts for a time jump!
I'm against taking planets, except as trade worlds. Planets have to be defended. Planets create channel conflict between you and your customers. If you're going to have planets, put them in the middle of nowhere and use a command circuit like a civilized fox.

After the Shark Fox model has proven so successful, why create a de facto OZ at this late date??

is it required that the three davion worlds recieved as payment for delivering Julian are neighbours to each other? If not take one from each March as trade worlds.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
The clan protectorate is pretty brilliant. Marik protection but clan control. Our clan likes the idea alot.

Nerroth

• Captain
I was thinking more that the Sea Foxes, in such a setup, would not have any idea what was waiting for them in-system. That would make things much more interesting than having them know beforehand.

But still, there's no guarantee that Julian will even make it, so.

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
Maybe we can find a way to induce HikageMaru to draw up some updated and customized Sea Fox banners and avatars.

Code: [Select]
[IMG]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/HikageMaru/SeaFox-Nobility_zps3d2d6da3.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/HikageMaru/SeaFox-Bargained_zps033398c2.png[/IMG]

Scrollreader

• Warrant Officer
Man.  I am a little ... underwhelmed with the RAT we have now.  I mean, we finally got rid of the Dasher II (So I don't need to waste money buying one), and yes, I understand that it's a rough guideline, and not prescriptive.  But ... the most common omnis we field according to the RAT are IS ones ...

Does anyone know if there are Clantech pod layouts for some of the newer omnis, like the Men Shen?  I know the original Kurita ones have the (R) configs.  But if your group doesn't allow custom pod layouts ...  ew.

RAT aside, my Tiburon Gamma has a Thresher (With an awesome backstory, and an old and awesome pilot in it), and of course, a Piranha/Solitaire tag team.  Also, Tiburon Gamma has a great excuse to play with some of the new Wolf and Falcon Toys.  Issorla!

That being said, I do sort of wonder what the Foxes are fielding, as a whole, and what people's opinions are. 

EDIT: Holy cow, HikageMaru.  Those rock!

wellspring

• Lieutenant

[IMG]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/HikageMaru/SeaFox-Nobility_zps3d2d6da3.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/HikageMaru/SeaFox-Bargained_zps033398c2.png[/IMG]

You're a prince among men! Many thanks, and congratulations on the new sibko you're training. ;)

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Man.  I am a little ... underwhelmed with the RAT we have now.  I mean, we finally got rid of the Dasher II (So I don't need to waste money buying one), and yes, I understand that it's a rough guideline, and not prescriptive.  But ... the most common omnis we field according to the RAT are IS ones ...

The Era report RAT's exist mostly to cross promote with other products and are pretty basic. We'll get a better RAT later this year when the Field Manual comes out.

That being said, I do sort of wonder what the Foxes are fielding, as a whole, and what people's opinions are. 

I miss Marauder IIC's we were stacked with in the wars of reaving supplemental. I really like the new Tiburon and we're making everything so we don't even need the excuse of Isorla to field Vulture IV's. Mad Cat II's, Mad Cat III's. Mad Cat IV's. I've never liked the Diamond Sharks RAT's that much. Mad Dogs are ok. Grendels are ok. I guess, I think Cauldron Borns are ugly mechs. So I'm much happier with the ascetic of the clan. Got a few old school incubus's I'm looking forward to painting Sea Fox Colors (as soon as I know what those colors are)

Don't know if those Marauder IIC's are coming back though. As of Objective clans we like Warhammer IIC's alot. I'm just happy we've got a solid list of pretty looking mechs in 3145. Tiburon is such a huge improvement.

EDIT: Holy cow, HikageMaru.  Those rock!

They do! Is there any chance we can get one with the quote, "Is there anything you require?" on it. Thats apparently the verbatim transmission you get whenever you find a Sea Fox .. caravan?
« Last Edit: 04 May 2013, 22:58:49 by Kitsune413 »

Dreyf

• Sergeant
I miss Marauder IIC's we were stacked with in the wars of reaving supplemental.

Don't know if those Marauder IIC's are coming back though. As of Objective clans we like Warhammer IIC's alot. I'm just happy we've got a solid list of pretty looking mechs in 3145.

Marauder IICs disappeared from the Diamond Shark RAT in FM:3085.  I am sure there are still a few around even though I am not sure I would call the WoRS RAT stacked with Marauder IICs.  Warhammer IICs have been a mainstay in Shark/Fox RATs since at least FM:U.

HikageMaru

• Captain

[IMG]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/HikageMaru/SeaFox-SharkFox_zps22392c33.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/HikageMaru/SeaFox-Require_zps3a4609db.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/HikageMaru/SeaFox-Firefox_zpsb87762d6.png[/IMG]

Nerroth

• Captain
Actually, I could imagine the Tiburon Khanate's logo from ER:3145 would be good for one of the "Shark/Fox" quotes.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Marauder IICs disappeared from the Diamond Shark RAT in FM:3085.  I am sure there are still a few around even though I am not sure I would call the WoRS RAT stacked with Marauder IICs.  Warhammer IICs have been a mainstay in Shark/Fox RATs since at least FM:U.

I guess it was only two entries but it was still alot better than our current pheonix hawk obsession. Hopefully the field manual will give us some more warhawks and dire wolves. Still happier with our general direction.

Actually, I could imagine the Tiburon Khanate's logo from ER:3145 would be good for one of the "Shark/Fox" quotes

especially the one that says, "Sea Fox Diamond Shark Sea Fox" I seriously hope its the Chatterweb's 'loading' icon.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2013, 23:37:07 by Kitsune413 »

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan

[IMG]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/HikageMaru/SeaFox-SharkFox_zps22392c33.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/HikageMaru/SeaFox-Require_zps3a4609db.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/HikageMaru/SeaFox-Firefox_zpsb87762d6.png[/IMG]

Whoa.... The Second Wave is astounding... These are amazing!'

Edit: I can't choose!! What do I do?!?

Gustav Kuriga

• Warrant Officer
  • Fluffeh Fennec
Awesome banners there! I'm using the Firefox one. D:
that's nonsense you loon. i use a hammer to drive screws and I ENJOY IT  - Cik

HikageMaru

• Captain
Actually, I could imagine the Tiburon Khanate's logo from ER:3145 would be good for one of the "Shark/Fox" quotes.

I would need an image file.