Author Topic: Jihad Hot Spots: Terra/Handbook: House Kurita - The Terran Hegemony and Denebola  (Read 2080 times)

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
I've been poking the map on page 18 of Handbook: House Kurita depicting the founding of the Draconis Combine a little recently, and there's something that might or might not be an inconsistency I was hoping I could check.

On page 148 of the "Touring Terra" section of Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, there's some discussion of James McKenna's two campaigns of persuasion, and that netted the Terran Hegemony over forty worlds by the 2320s. The map in Handbook: House Kurita shows a Hegemony expanded since the map of the Terran Alliance on page 18 of Handbook: House Marik to a size of 40 worlds, which makes sense. However, Denebola is one of the worlds now shown as a Hegemony world.

According to JHS:T, there was then a third campaign of persuasion in the 2335 that led to the HAF "seizing a half-dozen worlds (including notorious Denebola)". I'm not sure if that's meant to imply that Denebola hadn't been captured before - which would contradict the map in Handbook: House Kurita - or if the implication is that Denebola was notorious because the HAF had captured it between 2316-2319, lost it, and then had to capture it again in 2335. Is it possible to clarify what was meant?

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
I apologize that I can't give you a definite answer without spending a lot of time going back and digging—but I can tell you this came up during HBHK. From what I vaguely recall (which may be of no help here), is that there was a lot of changing of hands there in that brief period, so much so that the maps in particular couldn't properly indicate it.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
Thank you for letting me know :) The history of some of the planets in the area is complex, with Altair and Dieron changing hands a couple of times around the same time as the map too. I really like that the map in HB:HK shows the extent of the first of McKenna's campaigns of persuasion, before the second campaign headed off towards Nanking and the third pushed the Hegemony border up against the Federation of Skye. I'm happy to assume that the Denebolans were rather truculent when it came to accepting the benevolent Hegemony government, and had to be persuaded more than once ;)

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
I would surmise from some older writings that what made Denebola "notorious" was more about the fact that it was one of the first (if not THE first) to rebel against the Terrans.

-