Author Topic: Combat Train  (Read 8380 times)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Re: Combat Train
« Reply #30 on: 15 July 2019, 19:22:46 »

Sounds good. Hadn't thought of using it for sweeping mines. Good idea.  :thumbsup:   It all still depends on the rails not being destroyed though. Right?

Indeed! But depending on the type of rails and their sophistication; basic anti-tamper systems built into the rails to alert you if a section is destroyed are very possible....or you have a power-in-the-rails system and you find out when your train shuts down...
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 16 July 2019, 06:28:05 »
Indeed! But depending on the type of rails and their sophistication; basic anti-tamper systems built into the rails to alert you if a section is destroyed are very possible....or you have a power-in-the-rails system and you find out when your train shuts down...

So you know where the track is broken but can still otherwise function. I would think the train would still want some AA defense since aircraft are a big threat.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #32 on: 16 July 2019, 09:11:18 »
So you know where the track is broken but can still otherwise function. I would think the train would still want some AA defense since aircraft are a big threat.

you're darn skippy, they would!

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 17 July 2019, 01:46:12 »
Flak ammo for everyone!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #34 on: 17 July 2019, 19:54:12 »
Which is why I prefer the canon RML-447 Nolan MagLev...

I built three new variants of the LevCar:

Since each LevCar can carry up to 200 tons, I've built the famed LT-MOB-50 Rail Long Tom.

( Cargo LevCar, just added the Mobil Long Tom as is and a standard Partisan AAA tank. 95+80= 175 tons with 13 tons cargo. )

Field Repair : Contains a Demolisher turret with a built-in lift hoist, paired backhoe buckets and a single AC/20 for " field modifications ".

VTOL Carrier: Same Cargo LevCar, just added 2 VTOL pads and a single 100 ton Vehicle bay. meaning a forward tank repair bay.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #35 on: 17 July 2019, 21:02:40 »
Which is why I prefer the canon RML-447 Nolan MagLev...

I built three new variants of the LevCar:

Since each LevCar can carry up to 200 tons, I've built the famed LT-MOB-50 Rail Long Tom.

( Cargo LevCar, just added the Mobil Long Tom as is and a standard Partisan AAA tank. 95+80= 175 tons with 13 tons cargo. )

Field Repair : Contains a Demolisher turret with a built-in lift hoist, paired backhoe buckets and a single AC/20 for " field modifications ".

VTOL Carrier: Same Cargo LevCar, just added 2 VTOL pads and a single 100 ton Vehicle bay. meaning a forward tank repair bay.

TT

So the LongTom and Partisan are literally just carried as cargo? Nice historical paralelles there! I went and made a rail-mobile LongTom...They are hard to make legal!

A.E. Housman

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 17 July 2019, 22:01:19 »
Yep!

2 Sperry Browning MGs per side, LT gun mounted backwards, Partisan parked in front of the LT on the  trailer so it can swing freely, it's MGs are facing forward... the Nolan tractor is pushing the LevCar backwards... so it's MGs are facing in reverse.

Since Artillery is firing towards the rear while the Nolan is crawling back towards the lines... the angle is higher... so up and over. Also I can carry three (3) free Infantry Platoons to handle any track security.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #37 on: 18 July 2019, 09:41:49 »
Yep!

2 Sperry Browning MGs per side, LT gun mounted backwards, Partisan parked in front of the LT on the  trailer so it can swing freely, it's MGs are facing forward... the Nolan tractor is pushing the LevCar backwards... so it's MGs are facing in reverse.

Since Artillery is firing towards the rear while the Nolan is crawling back towards the lines... the angle is higher... so up and over. Also I can carry three (3) free Infantry Platoons to handle any track security.

TT

3 for free, you say?

A.E. Housman

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 18 July 2019, 16:01:52 »
Each LevCar carries a Platoon, Tractor carries 2!

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/RML-447_Nolan
In addition to its weaponry, the engine carries two foot infantry platoons which can be used to provide security for the train.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/RMC-3050_LevCar
All LevCars are designed with a bay for a foot infantry platoon.

Now I only used a LevCar and a Nolan tractor to run my LT-MOB-50 train.

3 for free!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #39 on: 18 July 2019, 17:35:14 »
Each LevCar carries a Platoon, Tractor carries 2!

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/RML-447_Nolan
In addition to its weaponry, the engine carries two foot infantry platoons which can be used to provide security for the train.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/RMC-3050_LevCar
All LevCars are designed with a bay for a foot infantry platoon.

Now I only used a LevCar and a Nolan tractor to run my LT-MOB-50 train.

3 for free!

TT

Cool! I never noticed the infantry before!

A.E. Housman

Register