Author Topic: Talk to me about the Chaos Campaign system!  (Read 2791 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Talk to me about the Chaos Campaign system!
« Reply #30 on: 03 October 2022, 18:59:59 »
Hence why I said it "feels" like it gives more options.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 03 October 2022, 20:46:44 »
What attracts me to Chaos Campaign is that I'm not worrying about C-Bills, keeping track of support personnel, payouts, etc.

BUT

Say I was interested in the details. What books would be the go-to for that? I know much used to be presented in the various Merc Supplemental books. Daryk mentioned AToW as well. Yet with the core rulebooks, I know quite a bit has changed.

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #32 on: 03 October 2022, 20:52:09 »
What attracts me to Chaos Campaign is that I'm not worrying about C-Bills, keeping track of support personnel, payouts, etc.

BUT

Say I was interested in the details. What books would be the go-to for that? I know much used to be presented in the various Merc Supplemental books. Daryk mentioned AToW as well.

Campaign Operations in the newest and most modern of the full unit management rules, and unlike some of the older stuff, better allows for non-mercenary units as well. Then there's the old standby of Field Manual Mercenaries: Revised or the original FM: Mercs, both are fairly dated at this point though. Or go really back, and find a copy of The Mercenary's Handbook. And then you have A Time of War, the BattleTech roleplaying game, for individual characters and such.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #33 on: 04 October 2022, 09:15:04 »
A Time of War (reprint coming soon!) + A Time of War Companion + Campaign Operations all fit together as your holy trinity of AccountantTech, yeah.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #34 on: 04 October 2022, 18:26:08 »
Holy Trinity indeed!  :bow:

Lone-Wolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: 08 October 2022, 08:15:51 »
First of all: Till now I did not use either Chaos Campaign or Accounttech etc in regard to the boardgame.
I just made some battles with some mechs on each side.

But: I played the BATTLEFORCE game on the AMIGA and that a lot.
I liked the game and that the computer did a lot of the work (you could design your own missions, you made a deal for lets say 3000 points to fight for a company and then had to repair your mechs - all with the Mechwarrior 1 skillsystem and about 90% Battletech rules and compability)

I want to start a 3025 campaign and the mercenary unit I want to use I want to present on this board in some time.

Til now I have problems with the list of the Chaos Campaign system (in one of the rulebooks there is a complete list of missions and rewards but mostly they are e.g. 150-200 points for killing all enemy before turn 15.
I dont like that ambiguity.
I would prefer (for instance):
150 points for killing the enemy before turn 15 (3025 technology and BV below 2000)
200 points for killing the enemy before turn 15 (3025 technology and BV above 2000)

Also Chaos Campaign doesnt have rules for modifying mechs, Chaos Campaign V2 does.

But currently I would prefer ChaosCampaign to Accounttech.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #36 on: 10 October 2022, 09:54:57 »
I dont like that ambiguity.
I would prefer (for instance):
150 points for killing the enemy before turn 15 (3025 technology and BV below 2000)
200 points for killing the enemy before turn 15 (3025 technology and BV above 2000)

There is no ambiguity . . . your opposition in a campaign track is based on a % of the BV you are taking, at least for most of them.  One of the other things noted is the point systems maybe off between Chaos Campaign tracks in different books.  The way to check this is in the repair/buying rule section because that will tell you what the ratio is . . . FREX, if one book says it takes 10 points to repair a heavy and the second book says it takes 15, then went you incorporate a track from the second book in the campaign you are running out of the first book then you need to adjust that track's RP values down to 66% of the second book's list.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #37 on: 10 October 2022, 18:26:37 »
I've enjoyed reading this thread because I've been thinking about running my own Against the Bot Chaos Campaign for a very long time.  I finally got an Excel spreadsheet set up that will randomly roll scenarios for me based on those from this site:  https://comstar.home.blog/tracks/

I'll be tracking warchest points and units on there, and attempt to run a persistent OpFor for the bot that will be following the same rules as I am.  I hope to start it tonight!

I only wish MekHQ were set up to run a Chaos Campaign - I'm tired of playing AccountantTech!
« Last Edit: 10 October 2022, 18:28:31 by BATTLEMASTER »
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #38 on: 11 October 2022, 10:08:49 »
I've enjoyed reading this thread because I've been thinking about running my own Against the Bot Chaos Campaign for a very long time.  I finally got an Excel spreadsheet set up that will randomly roll scenarios for me based on those from this site:  https://comstar.home.blog/tracks/

I'll be tracking warchest points and units on there, and attempt to run a persistent OpFor for the bot that will be following the same rules as I am.  I hope to start it tonight!

I only wish MekHQ were set up to run a Chaos Campaign - I'm tired of playing AccountantTech!

I use MekHQ to help track mine. I still supplement with a spreadsheet, but use MekHQ to track pilot hits, mech damage, and missions (entered manually of course). Just turn off basically all the options. And you can either convert Warchest Points to C-Bills, or I just use the WP point values on the finances screen.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel