Author Topic: Mech of the week: Gunslinger  (Read 17508 times)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: Mech of the week: Gunslinger
« Reply #60 on: 20 February 2023, 18:28:30 »
XL Gyros don't have no downsides, but their doensides are statistically pretty trivial even in those cases.  If your CT is already stripped and you're taking crits the problem is not that you have an XL Gyro.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: 20 February 2023, 18:31:45 »
Wait, it is now 20 down to 16 rounds of fire?

But honestly, I do not mind a XL Gyro on long range fire support and fast light mechs- the equipment is ideal for them.  A long range sniper should not be in a position to be taking a ton of fire to generate TACs- like MLs & SRMs or heavier LBX cannons- and speedsters will not survive many hits anyway, so increasing the tonnage for other purposes sacrificing some crits works.  Light mechs rarely use up all their crits anyway.

The Ball-R armor really does work with a fire support design, especially with Dracs against the Feds- return fire is going to be lighter sized autocannons, LRMs, ERPPCs, ATMs, Gauss, and ERLL.  This thing is going to be laughing getting in fire support duels with Jagermechs and FS Crusaders.

yeah the BR makes any design but an energy boat pretty much useless, wonderful design given that autocanons are generally agreed to be less efficant over all then energy weapons anyway.

I think chopping Ballastic AND missile damage in half is a bit much
The Suns will shine again

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #62 on: 20 February 2023, 18:47:46 »
It is 10 points per ton, barely better per ton than Hardened.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #63 on: 20 February 2023, 19:00:41 »
Its real advantage over Hardened is the lack of penalty to run speed and piloting checks.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #64 on: 21 February 2023, 22:02:39 »
Its real advantage over Hardened is the lack of penalty to run speed and piloting checks.
Yep, GUN-3ERD Gunslinger can use as much movement it can get.  Less bulky armor, Ballistic-Reinforced armor is best of both worlds for protection.
I guess they needed to keep the rear facing lasers for the WYSIWYG thing.   I would have liked to seen the head mounted laser removed for C3 of some kind.  This thing not going get anywhere in a hurry, so you might well have nice spotter unit out there help keep machine in game at long range.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #65 on: 21 February 2023, 22:04:05 »
Especially with the added reach of the Clan ER Meds.  Sadly, C3 has been kept out of the Rec Guides.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #66 on: 21 February 2023, 22:35:58 »
Sadly, C3 has been kept out of the Rec Guides.
Seriously?
Is that intentional?
Why?
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #67 on: 21 February 2023, 22:39:46 »
Seriously?
Is that intentional?
Why?

There was one or two with regular c3, the Fire Moth R comes to mind.

But mainly to keep it BMM compliant as a whole, and to reduce extra stuff to do.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #68 on: 22 February 2023, 01:47:45 »
Can't wait to get a spare Gunslinger and kitbash a new Jared version.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #69 on: 24 February 2023, 21:10:12 »
<deleted - I was tired when I wrote this>
« Last Edit: 24 February 2023, 23:37:48 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #70 on: 24 February 2023, 22:29:53 »
BMM has C3 systems. It is standard rules level stuff, so it is included. Heck, it has Boosted C3 too.

But a featured mechs having C3 would be weird for newer players, me thinks. C3 is fine for variants but not feature units, unless they are outright designed around it, like the Celestials were. The Gunslinger is very much a stand-alone unit. Should it have C3 variant? Probably, but then again so should far more units than there is actually right now. Really think this is a case of working out with your fellow players whether custom C3 modifications are allowed or not.

I don't see much point in making a yet another C3 Gunslinger variant though, as there's two C3 master variants already. A heavy sniper that can carry a C3 computer without major sacrifices? That is nice.
Sure the Clan lasers would be nice addition but ultimately the Gunslinger is probably fighting at longer range anyway, not to mention it keeps BV down considering how costly C3 is.

Kinda glad the boat-face is no longer that boat-y in the new art. Gunslinger McBoatface is no more.