Author Topic: 1st Ghost Command Lance - CM:Kurita  (Read 2892 times)

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
1st Ghost Command Lance - CM:Kurita
« on: 24 August 2016, 12:12:49 »

So this is the lance I painted for Combat Manal Kurtia.  It's a 1st Ghost Command Lance set in the Clan invasion.  Each unit has a unique tattoo design plus the scales and dark green highlights.  Fun lance to explore, though I wish I'd have had time to do a little more.  They are all plastics from the new Lance Packs as well.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: 1st Ghost Command Lance - CM:Kurita
« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2016, 12:30:45 »
...god, I hate you.  ;D

Seriously, those are ridiculous. The Dragon in particular- since I was a young boy I've had the Great Wave of Kanaga painting on my wall in one form or another, seeing it here- and in that kind of detail!- is really something.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2016, 12:34:45 »
Ah the DCMS... They sure do have style! That's incredible man!
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2016, 14:37:45 »
...god, I hate you.  ;D

Me too ;)

Seriously, SC, superb work.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2016, 16:34:38 »
Beautiful, Ross... O0

And, I don't hate you.

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #5 on: 24 August 2016, 18:29:31 »
Those are amazing.

Where does one start with something to become so beautiful?
1) Spray White
2) Block-on colors
3) Wash?
4) ? ? ?
5) Profit

Or something to that effect?
« Last Edit: 24 August 2016, 18:36:17 by Crimson Dynamo »
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

ColonelCrow

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 24 August 2016, 18:31:08 »
Those are just astonishing. Thanks so much for sharing.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 24 August 2016, 20:39:14 »
So... if we find you and cook you and eat your heart/liver will we be able to paint like that???  [drool]

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #8 on: 24 August 2016, 23:19:05 »
So... if we find you and cook you and eat your heart/liver will we be able to paint like that???  [drool]
LOL Cannibaltech
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 24 August 2016, 23:33:35 »
 O0 Love and Peace!

ogre

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
    • The Ogre's Mech Depot
« Reply #10 on: 25 August 2016, 05:36:11 »
Amazing as always! 
When in doubt, take it out.

Nomad

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 25 August 2016, 06:07:07 »
Wonderful freehand! Any attempts I've made so far have just come out looking like colored blobs. How long did these take you?

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: 25 August 2016, 07:15:50 »
Those are amazing.

Where does one start with something to become so beautiful?
1) Spray White
2) Block-on colors
3) Wash?
4) ? ? ?
5) Profit

Or something to that effect?

I can't speak for Ross's process, though for me it starts with all the usual stuff for a paint job. Then it's grabbing reference images, figuring out which ones I like, and what I can fit in the space I have to work with. Sometimes a preliminary drawing at scale, so I can get a feel for what I can work in. Then grabbing the main paints I want to use, my fine brushes, and getting to work. Any profit should be in a much smaller font; realistically, painting minis is not that profitable for the time invested.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 25 August 2016, 07:16:31 »
 :o O0

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #14 on: 25 August 2016, 07:17:08 »
LOL Cannibaltech

Uh... creepy?  I have a few hollow points to hopefully dissuade anyone of that notion  :D

Time-wise it wasn't terrible as I wasn't doing any damage effects so as to not compete with the murals, though I'd wanted to do more and waited too close to the deadline.

The Great Wave and I have a love/hate relationship.  I have a poster of it down the hallway to my classroom where I teacher.  I've painted it three times on `Mechs and have drawn it one other time on a model that still waiting to be painted (a 1:72nd Dougram to be exact and yeah, it feels like it SHOULD look awesome but we'll see when I can get back to that project; the scale's really thrown meet off haha)  So, the reason I hate it is that every time I look at a 'mech and want to do a 1st Ghost scheme, I want to use it.  You can't have a whole unit thats supposed to have personalized tats have the same one!  ^-^

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #15 on: 25 August 2016, 07:29:51 »
I can't speak for Ross's process, though for me it starts with all the usual stuff for a paint job. Then it's grabbing reference images, figuring out which ones I like, and what I can fit in the space I have to work with. Sometimes a preliminary drawing at scale, so I can get a feel for what I can work in. Then grabbing the main paints I want to use, my fine brushes, and getting to work. Any profit should be in a much smaller font; realistically, painting minis is not that profitable for the time invested.

No, you are close (or right!)  I would go something like:

prime black
base coat light grey and dark green areas (both scales and highlights)
wash
fill in light grey panels so the panel lines stand out
3-5 highlight layers for light grey and dark green panels that are highlights
draw scales in micron pen, 3-5 layers for each scale
paint gold scales here and there
chose reference work for the tattoos
draw tattoos in .5 or smaller mechanical pencil
paint tattoos with however many layers you need to make it work
shoot myself
paint cockpits
do bases
seal

And like Psycho said, make less than minimum wage after selling!  It's just expected really, and I made the price to the guy I sold them too, so it's not his fault or anything like that.  There's just a ceiling that you can charge to be honest. 

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 25 August 2016, 08:55:04 »
These look amazing!

abou

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 25 August 2016, 09:31:57 »
Wonderful, wonderful stuff. I remember seeing your stuff from over a decade ago when we were all trying to paint BattleTech minis well at all. Great to see where so many of us have gone, especially you.

Also, more 'mechs should have penguins painted on them.

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #18 on: 25 August 2016, 17:49:42 »
 8)

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #19 on: 25 August 2016, 20:04:32 »
These are so amazing!

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #20 on: 26 August 2016, 10:37:14 »
Wonderful, wonderful stuff. I remember seeing your stuff from over a decade ago when we were all trying to paint BattleTech minis well at all. Great to see where so many of us have gone, especially you.

Also, more 'mechs should have penguins painted on them.

well.... those aren't really penguins haha.

Eurasian Magpie would be the correct bird, mimicking old Korean/Chinese ink wash painting styles:

I obviously highlighted the teal/turquoise/green in the birds for the wing areas.  Some miniatures just don't take murals as well as others :(

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #21 on: 26 August 2016, 12:53:23 »
Do you lament minis with a lot of detail lines sometimes because of logos and icon placement?

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: 26 August 2016, 14:23:33 »
Decals usually aren't bad. Having different sizes to work with is an asset there. Murals are another story, where to get the detail in you really need a large area. Like the No-Dachi; after putting on the band of scales, you've got the right leg. That's it. Gotta do something that will fit on there and still show well. A moderate number of panel lines can still be worked with. What gets me is something like the PP Battlemaster - too many bulges and sharp angles. The most I've done with it is a 3rd Ghost wave... and I stayed away from the legs. OTOH, King Crabs with their large torsos can take quite a lot. Atlas III's and Tomahawk II's would be good to work with too.

Dragoon1

• Warrant Officer
    • http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e62/GrungeVibe/dragoons.gif[/IMG]
« Reply #23 on: 27 August 2016, 14:29:40 »
OMG!  Those look spectacular. Even if the Dracs. :P  O0 :D [drool]

Awesome work!  So how long do you detox off caffeine to have your hand steady enough to paint those images on the mechs? 

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 27 August 2016, 18:55:14 »
Very sweet!! O0

Recklessfireball1

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 28 August 2016, 09:01:49 »
I've spent a lot of time looking at your work on Camospecs, and I'm always amazed at how you can freehand something so tiny and perfect.  It really goes beyond the level of a little toy mini and becomes something like a tiny sculpture that is a piece of art in its own right.  The only drawback for me, if I was capable of producing something this beautiful (ha, ha- right!), is that I might be afraid it would get scratched or ruined if I used it in play.  I wonder, do you use these on the table?

Stunning work, though.  I've rarely seen metals painted up that looked as good as these.  Nice job!  O0

Register