Author Topic: Five 100 Tonners  (Read 81316 times)

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
  • You messed with the wrong fast food CEO.....
Re: Five 100 Tonners
« Reply #30 on: 29 August 2011, 14:28:43 »
Hellstar's only 95 tons. It's too light to be a 'Mech. Obligatory HOGARTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL
"Is it better to be feared, or respected? And I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark, Iron Man

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #31 on: 29 August 2011, 14:31:38 »
I guess if you're playing BV2 with no FSM your opponent can probably bring a few companies of mechs though :D

At those BV point levels (around 50,000) you could bring a WarShip.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #32 on: 29 August 2011, 14:32:54 »
Do you realize HOW MANY STARSLAYERS that is?! I could take a whole Clan OZ with that...

Kamov

• Warrant Officer
  • It's time to end this ones and for all
« Reply #33 on: 29 August 2011, 14:36:14 »
BRO.  USE THE BERSERKER BRO!

The one with the TSM and light engine, specifically. It could even have Clantech modded into it because clantech mods are canon and so is the Berserker. [skull] [rockon] }:) [notworthy] [copper] [whipit] [brew] >:/!
(The above writing is entirely my opinion based upon my own incomplete knowledge of life, the universe, and everything beyond it and should be taken as such although I don't want to tell you what to do, because that's your right and your freedom to choose your own opinions and ablah blah blah legalese etc etc)

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 29 August 2011, 14:36:58 »
At those BV point levels (around 50,000) you could bring a WarShip.

Yeah, but we're looking for a fair fight here ;)

OK, so an answer for this ridiculous topic.  I looked at Sarna, and found out that there really just aren't that many 100 ton clan mechs.

Star Commander - Daishi Widowmaker, because it's just that boss.

Schwerer Gustav - because it's silly as all hell.

Jupiter - isorla from Clan Jade Falcon

Stone Rhino - why? Because I love you.

And then the Marauder II bounty hunter, just to make as little sense as possible :D

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 29 August 2011, 14:37:02 »
I'm just so frustrated with all these people telling me about how this won't work and that won't work.
That's what happens when you have 3,245 different forum posters who have 3,245 different opinions on mechs and way more than 3,245 different experiences playing Battletech.  If everybody was telling you the same thing then either the game is terribly broken or we'd all be suffering from the largest and most dispersed case of groupthink in history.

Is it because I'm a Clan WiE supporter? Save that for another thread!
No.  In-character discussions happen on The Successor States and in the Mechwarrior Hall.  We are trying to discuss the question you posed so we can answer it.  In-character discussions have a nasty habit of clouding judgement and preventing objective answers to objective questions.

And PeripheryPirate was very much right.  I was not suggesting that you take one, I was stating that I would take one as an example of a mech that is superior to 100 tonners even though it is not a 100 tonner itself.

I would be more than willing to play a game of MegaMek with you to help you finesse your picks.  You bring your star of 100-tonners and I won't bring a single 100-tonner.  I'll balance you in BV and we can test out your star, see what works and what doesn't.
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 29 August 2011, 14:38:59 »
That's what happens when you have 3,245 different forum posters who have 3,245 different opinions on mechs and way more than 3,245 different experiences playing Battletech.  If everybody was telling you the same thing then either the game is terribly broken or we'd all be suffering from the largest and most dispersed case of groupthink in history.
No.  In-character discussions happen on The Successor States and in the Mechwarrior Hall.  We are trying to discuss the question you posed so we can answer it.  In-character discussions have a nasty habit of clouding judgement and preventing objective answers to objective questions.

And PeripheryPirate was very much right.  I was not suggesting that you take one, I was stating that I would take one as an example of a mech that is superior to 100 tonners even though it is not a 100 tonner itself.

I would be more than willing to play a game of MegaMek with you to help you finesse your picks.  You bring your star of 100-tonners and I won't bring a single 100-tonner.  I'll balance you in BV and we can test out your star, see what works and what doesn't.
Alright. Where and when? I know I'll probably lose considering you're a master sergeant and on the catalyst demo team, but I might as well try. Just to let you know, I've never played the board game before. The only experience I have playing is megamek, which is a BIG advantage for you considering the fact that you've got plenty of experience and I have none (off the computer anyway).
« Last Edit: 29 August 2011, 14:42:20 by Mechwarriorfreak »
"Is it better to be feared, or respected? And I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark, Iron Man

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #37 on: 29 August 2011, 14:43:53 »
The ranks are just posts, dude. And Demo Agents aren't SuperMechWarriorAcolyteGods. Unless I'm in a Starslayer or the LST-47RT Last Rites. Then all bets on my divinity are off. :D

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 29 August 2011, 14:45:35 »
The ranks are just posts, dude. And Demo Agents aren't SuperMechWarriorAcolyteGods. Unless I'm in a Starslayer or the LST-47RT Last Rites. Then all bets on my divinity are off. :D
Alright fine. Where and when? lol I still have hope then! :)

Ladob

• Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: 29 August 2011, 14:50:30 »
Star Commander - Daishi Widowmaker, because it's just that boss.
Schwerer Gustav - because it's silly as all hell.
Jupiter - isorla from Clan Jade Falcon
Stone Rhino - why? Because I love you.
And then the Marauder II bounty hunter, just to make as little sense as possible :D

With the commander being 1/1, the rest 1/2, that makes for 32'325 BV... way less than 50K.

Still if it is going to be that "smart" kind of play, the opponent may as well put all 5 Hellstars 2 at 2/3 for almost the same BV, namely 32'260 BV but with pilots able to use the Targetting Computers to leg the others "en masse".
Change, even for the worse

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 29 August 2011, 15:01:14 »
Alright fine. Where and when? lol I still have hope then! :)
Check your PMs.
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #41 on: 29 August 2011, 15:20:48 »
With the commander being 1/1, the rest 1/2, that makes for 32'325 BV... way less than 50K.

Still if it is going to be that "smart" kind of play, the opponent may as well put all 5 Hellstars 2 at 2/3 for almost the same BV, namely 32'260 BV but with pilots able to use the Targetting Computers to leg the others "en masse".

You're nicer than me.  I figure I could get 15 O-Bakemono's plus a dozen or so Sprints for 32K.  Of course, they'd "only" be regular pilots all around.   }:)

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 29 August 2011, 15:41:25 »
You're nicer than me.  I figure I could get 15 O-Bakemono's plus a dozen or so Sprints for 32K.  Of course, they'd "only" be regular pilots all around.   }:)

nah just use a lance of LRM carriers with Thunder Aug ammo, just blanket fire out there and watch the fun, and then for giggles just throw out a binary of supernovas and nova primes :-)
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #43 on: 29 August 2011, 17:47:25 »
Gee, guys, I guess most of you aren't into "fantasy football."

What's wrong with a little unrestricted fun with uber-assault 'Mechs? It's clearly stated they're not going to be canon unit. Have fun and indulge once and a while.

I mean, you don't always have to play 3025-era 20-ton bug-'Mechs with permanently busted leg actuators, missing heat sinks, and permanently deficient armor. Sometimes you can just play a GAME with your fantasy dream unit.

And if you're not being constructive to the thread, keep an eye on posting rules 9 and 3.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #44 on: 29 August 2011, 18:19:10 »
Hey, I just wanted to launch 30 Arrow IV's at a time.   [rockon]

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #45 on: 29 August 2011, 18:23:06 »
Hey, I just wanted to launch 30 Arrow IV's at a time.   [rockon]

...Alas, the anti-munchkins in my gaming group have largely denied me artillery due to the days when I'd combine 30 Arrow IVs with TAG on untouchable super-fast drones. :(

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Lyran Archer

• Lieutenant
  • pre-3050: ARC-2R / post-3050: ARC-5W
« Reply #46 on: 29 August 2011, 18:24:53 »
Good discussion.

I myself have five Dire Wolf As as a Star, but, with Trueborn pilots, that's about 20 000 BV. It would hardly be a dream to field - more like a nightmare because my enemy would probably come at me with a company+ of heavy BattleMechs!

For 20 000 BV, I could take a dozen Archer 5Ss and three Trebuchets - that's 15 'Mechs! I'd rather be fielding the company+ rather than five 100-ton death traps! 
LCAF German Expeditionary Militia Kampfgruppe Panzerfaust: 1 Overlord class DropShip, 1 Fortress class DropShip, 2 AeroSpace Fighters, 4 BattleMech Companies, 1 Vehicle Company, 1 Infantry Battalion
Motto: STAND (behind a hill) AND DELIVER (indirectly via spotter)!

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #47 on: 29 August 2011, 18:54:01 »
Daishi Widowmaker?  Check!
BH's Uber MarauderII?  Check!

Let see...

FNR-5X Fafnir.  Two of the biggest guns in the 'vers, now on two legs!

KGC-005r King Crab.  Dual LB-20X's,  a Heavy PPC, and C3i.  If no other C3 units, chuck it for ammo!

Daishi Hohiro.  Often ignored, but deadly.  ER PPC and GR for long range, Large Pulse Lasers for shorter, a Streak 6 for crit seeking and a small laser for...lighting cigars after you win!

Not overly thought out, but there you go! 

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #48 on: 29 August 2011, 19:00:39 »
It is a bit limiting with Canon 'Mechs, as I would recommend my own SuparMunchie LST-47RT. 2 UAC20s and a Gauss. And when they're not in range, it also has 2 ER Lg Lasers!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #49 on: 29 August 2011, 19:01:03 »
1.) Bounty Hunter-Custom Marauder II
2.) Natasha Kerensky- Dire Wolf Widow Maker
3.) Adam Steiner- Thunder Hawk
4.) Devlin Stone- Atlas II
5.) Phelan Kell- Annihilator Gausszilla
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: 29 August 2011, 19:24:39 »
I'm sorry, really I am. I'm just so frustrated with all these people telling me about how this won't work and that won't work. Thats all they do in these forums! They criticize my discussions rather than give me ideas of how to make them better. How do you think that makes me feel? Is it because I'm a Clan WiE supporter? Save that for another thread!

I think, at least for this thread, the barrier is the "must include MAD2 BH and DW Natasha -" starting with a requirement for the personal rides of two of the more annoyingly centralised characters in the canon is, I feel, not necessarily the best form.

But keeping them anyway...

Second sniper: Jupiter.  More of a pure long-ranger than the more balanced setup of the MAD2 BH.
Second brawler: Grand Titan (with or without Clan-refitting its loadout.)
Third brawler: King Crab 005, replacing the C3i with ammo and an ER small laser in the head, because thou must!  (Or the 005r that Banzai suggested, it also works.)

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #51 on: 29 August 2011, 19:28:52 »
I'll agree with the Daishi Hohiro. When I want to make things "easy" on me, the Hohiro fulfills that mission grandly.

The Behemoth / Stone Rhino is a solid choice. I wish the lasers / Gausses were swapped, but it's still a relative mountain of metal.

Now I'm going to go a little crazy, but with elite pilots, missile spam can be good, so why not a Scylla to keep 'em at range so they don't hurt you? I'd like a bit more DAKKA, but I figure an elite can stage their enemies off.

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: 29 August 2011, 19:30:43 »
Now I'm going to go a little crazy, but with elite pilots, missile spam can be good, so why not a Scylla to keep 'em at range so they don't hurt you? I'd like a bit more DAKKA, but I figure an elite can stage their enemies off.

What about Bane 3?  8 LRM 15s with an elite pilot must bring pain - and even with indirect fire, seeing that this is a Wolf in Exile force.

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #53 on: 29 August 2011, 19:31:51 »
Yeah, but I'm thinking the Star needs a bit o' speed.

I'm Lyran. 4/6 is ****** fast.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #54 on: 29 August 2011, 19:33:08 »
Yeah, but I'm thinking the Star needs a bit o' speed.

I'm Lyran. 4/6 is ****** fast.

There are faster 100-ton units. Do they measure up?

An important question: what are the opponents? A 100-ton assault lance from the Inner Sphere doesn't necessarily call for speed.

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #55 on: 29 August 2011, 19:37:06 »
I dunno. With a bunch of 3/5s, I still like to edge a unit around to push 'em in or draw 'em off. 4/6 for 100 tonners will get the job done, and the Scylla's not a bad unit to do it with. A Kingfisher's best for it, but that's only 90 tons, and I don't like the Jups enough to recommend it.

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #56 on: 29 August 2011, 19:50:28 »
Stone Rhino 3 seems to fit your criteria pretty well.
Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #57 on: 30 August 2011, 02:56:27 »
I'd like to put in a word for the Kodiak
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #58 on: 30 August 2011, 04:42:48 »
Sounds like a fun challenge... Let's see.

Snipers
BH Marauder II (1/1)
Bane BE-3 (1/2) Who said LRM boat?

Brawlers
Daishi Widowmaker (1/2)
Stone Rhino SERO 3 (1/2) Lots of LPLs and ATMs...
Kodiak (1/2) UAC 20 and lots of ERMLs

That's 35878 BV all told. I'll take them some day... against the bot!  ;)
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: 30 August 2011, 09:22:25 »
Bane BE-3 (1/2) Who said LRM boat?
[/quote] I was thinking about that variant mech last night. I'd be interested in seeing how it would work. :)