Author Topic: Five 100 Tonners  (Read 81314 times)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: Five 100 Tonners
« Reply #60 on: 30 August 2011, 09:28:36 »
How about 5 Archangel Caelestis?
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
  • You messed with the wrong fast food CEO.....
« Reply #61 on: 30 August 2011, 09:31:09 »
How about 5 Archangel Caelestis?
If you're being serious, they are very difficult to destroy. But it wouldn't look good in a clan Touman. I mean wouldn't you think so?
"Is it better to be feared, or respected? And I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark, Iron Man

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #62 on: 30 August 2011, 09:36:31 »
Marauder II BH
Widowmaker
Dire Wolf A
Imp C
Jupiter

Though really I would prefer to have Shelly Brubaker's Nightstar and a Hellstar in place of the last two if going for full cheese.

Maybe a Bane 3 if I was feeling particularly vicious.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #63 on: 30 August 2011, 09:39:32 »
If you're being serious, they are very difficult to destroy. But it wouldn't look good in a clan Touman. I mean wouldn't you think so?

Well that depends on how fluffy you want to go.  It'd be a nasty unit to fight though (and TBH, I'd drop an archangel or two for spotters.  Probably Pretas Dominus for the high jump mod)
« Last Edit: 30 August 2011, 09:50:51 by Lorcan Nagle »

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #64 on: 30 August 2011, 09:40:12 »

Oh, man. I remember a HUGE uproar about that kind of thing on the old forums. I think the consensus was, no, that would not look good. To say nothing of the fact that I'd be surprised if five Archangels existed anywhere at all post-Jihad. They were never abundant, and the kind of person who gets an Archangel is not the kind of person likely to surrender or otherwise lose their ride.

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
« Reply #65 on: 30 August 2011, 09:54:50 »
Oh, man. I remember a HUGE uproar about that kind of thing on the old forums. I think the consensus was, no, that would not look good. To say nothing of the fact that I'd be surprised if five Archangels existed anywhere at all post-Jihad. They were never abundant, and the kind of person who gets an Archangel is not the kind of person likely to surrender or otherwise lose their ride.
Yeah I'd stick with the Marauder II Bounty Hunter, and the Dire Wolf Widomaker. A Grand Titan T-IT-N11M wouldn't be bad. And a Bane 3 also sounds quite dangerous.
"Is it better to be feared, or respected? And I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark, Iron Man

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #66 on: 30 August 2011, 10:11:54 »
Bane BE-3 (1/2) Who said LRM boat?
 I was thinking about that variant mech last night. I'd be interested in seeing how it would work. :)

Quite well, trust me. With an average 72 points damage per turn and 14-15 location rolls, it's effective to soften up armor and seek crits later.
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
« Reply #67 on: 30 August 2011, 10:13:30 »
Quite well, trust me. With an average 72 points damage per turn and 14-15 location rolls, it's effective to soften up armor and seek crits later.
Thats pretty impressive, even for a missile boat.

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #68 on: 30 August 2011, 11:11:36 »
Thats pretty impressive, even for a missile boat.

Which works with all those holes the Gauss Rifles. Large Pulse Lasers, ER PPCs and UAC20s will be making.  I'd suggest something like this:

Widowmaker [0/0] (Brawler)
Bounty Hunter [0/0] (Sniper)
Kodiak [1/2] (Brawler)
Bane 3 [1/2] (Sniper)
Stone Rhino [1/2] (Brawler)

The Kodiak is a 4/6 with a over half a dozen ER Medium Lasers, a dozen SRMs and an Ultra AC20 - it's the very 'in your face and rip a hole' design.  Plus, you have claws (for intimidation only).

Widowmaker, if you only have a couple of snipers, would be a brawler too- it's got the range to defend itself, but the Medium lasers and UAC20 are best up close. 

The Stone Rhino can be the one that falls forward and back as need be.  It can snipe with the 2 Large Pulse lasers and 2 Gauss Rifles... but has a standard engine and jumpjets to help maneuver around.  It's also got the fluff that it's Large Pulse lasers are designed to be used as rams when punching other 'mechs. 

That leaves the Bane 3 to rain LRM death down from afar and exploit all the holes you'll be making, and the Bounty Hunter as the Sniper (because you specified).

If the Star really is going to be piloted by 5 Natasha Kerenskies, they should all be 0/0.  The Bounty Hunter is also a 0/0 pilot, so I put him up there as a 0/0.

Keep in mind that Kai Allard Liao is also a 0/0- and while I think Phelan is supposed to be a...0/1? Stackpole has said he wrote a duel with Kai into the novels to show that both Kai and Phelan are both equal in skill (I.e, Phelan should be a 0/0).

If you want the best of the best, your pilots should all be 0/0.

Formerly known as 'Phad'

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #69 on: 30 August 2011, 11:18:11 »
Keep in mind that Kai Allard Liao is also a 0/0- and while I think Phelan is supposed to be a...0/1? Stackpole has said he wrote a duel with Kai into the novels to show that both Kai and Phelan are both equal in skill (I.e, Phelan should be a 0/0).

That'd be Malicious intent.  Kai and Phelan face off against one another in a sim battle and take each other out simultaneously.

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #70 on: 30 August 2011, 11:30:18 »
That'd be Malicious intent.  Kai and Phelan face off against one another in a sim battle and take each other out simultaneously.

Thanks!

Hrm... I wonder.  Is Phelan in this star?  If it's, as Cray put it, like 'fantasy football'...you could put the pilots in there.

Hell, Phelan could lead the star as a 0/0 and activate his potential Ghost 'Mech Ability...

I mean, if this thread is about going all out...
« Last Edit: 30 August 2011, 11:35:37 by Sid »
Formerly known as 'Phad'

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #71 on: 30 August 2011, 11:36:20 »
At skill 2 and below the differences start getting razor thin. 

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
« Reply #72 on: 30 August 2011, 11:38:23 »
Which works with all those holes the Gauss Rifles. Large Pulse Lasers, ER PPCs and UAC20s will be making.  I'd suggest something like this:

Widowmaker [0/0] (Brawler)
Bounty Hunter [0/0] (Sniper)
Kodiak [1/2] (Brawler)
Bane 3 [1/2] (Sniper)
Stone Rhino [1/2] (Brawler)

The Kodiak is a 4/6 with a over half a dozen ER Medium Lasers, a dozen SRMs and an Ultra AC20 - it's the very 'in your face and rip a hole' design.  Plus, you have claws (for intimidation only).

Widowmaker, if you only have a couple of snipers, would be a brawler too- it's got the range to defend itself, but the Medium lasers and UAC20 are best up close. 

The Stone Rhino can be the one that falls forward and back as need be.  It can snipe with the 2 Large Pulse lasers and 2 Gauss Rifles... but has a standard engine and jumpjets to help maneuver around.  It's also got the fluff that it's Large Pulse lasers are designed to be used as rams when punching other 'mechs. 

That leaves the Bane 3 to rain LRM death down from afar and exploit all the holes you'll be making, and the Bounty Hunter as the Sniper (because you specified).

If the Star really is going to be piloted by 5 Natasha Kerenskies, they should all be 0/0.  The Bounty Hunter is also a 0/0 pilot, so I put him up there as a 0/0.

If you want the best of the best, your pilots should all be 0/0.
I that. Are Kodiaks and Stone Rhinos acquirable by the WiE?
Hrm... I wonder.  Is Phelan in this star?  If it's, as Cray put it, like 'fantasy football'...you could put the pilots in there.

Hell, Phelan could lead the star as a 0/0 and activate his potential Ghost 'Mech Ability...

I mean, if this thread is about going all out...

Well, if you and everyone else want Phelan Wolf to be in this Star, that means this would become the next Golden Keshik, which is a part of the WiE Alpha Galaxy. Although that would be SICK, its not realistic for Phelan to be in a 100 toner. Isn't he used to a Timber Wolf and a Wolfhound? Here's what I'm getting at: I really want this star to be awesome because of its uniqueness, not antireality. I'm saying its more realistic for a bunch a really good mechwarriors to get an ensemble of 100 tonners, than for the Golden Keshik to be completely remodeled and for Phelan to become all of the sudden dissatisfied with his Timber Wolf and bring up a random thought: "I want to pilot a 100 tonner!" You know what I mean?

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
« Reply #73 on: 30 August 2011, 11:39:32 »
I know. I've tried it in megamek and it gets a little difficult to see the difference.

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #74 on: 30 August 2011, 11:41:43 »

On definitely.  If you're fighting similar opponents though... for example, you have a 'mech jumping 7+ hexes into a heavy woods at Long Range... that's a +10 modifier.

The different between 2 and 0 is pretty significant then (To-hit of 10 vs 12).  That's what the Clan Large Pulse Lasers and Targeting Computers are for.  (7 vs 9... that's still significant)

Of course, those are extreme situations.  With a 0 Pilot or a 2 pilot... both will be hitting most of the time anyway.  Especially as this this Star is likely to pack a lot of pulse lasers and targeting computers. 

That's why the Phantom 'Mech Ability should be in there... to differentiate it from the other elite units  ;D
Formerly known as 'Phad'

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #75 on: 30 August 2011, 11:42:31 »
Didn't you already say that you were ignoring reality for this star, Mechwarriorfreak?

Phelan never exhibited the Phantom Mech ability.

Agreed.  Due to the bell-curve nature of rolling 2D6, the gains made by pushing a pilot or gunnery score below 2 drop off substantially.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
« Reply #76 on: 30 August 2011, 11:47:50 »
Didn't you already say that you were ignoring reality for this star, Mechwarriorfreak?
I'm sorry about that. I have a terrible problem with clarification. Yes I did say that. The only reality I meant ignoring was the effort and the likelihood of acquiring these mechs. Everything else is pretty much reality. And that goes for the rest of this thread everyone. ;)

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #77 on: 30 August 2011, 12:00:14 »
I that. Are Kodiaks and Stone Rhinos acquirable by the WiE?

Short Answer: Of course.
Longer Answer: The WiE (last I checked anyway) have access to nearly every unit in the game, Clan or I.S.  They trade with the Diamond Sharks and Trial with the Ghost Bears.  They salvage from the Jade Falcons and the Word of Blake.  They're also with the Lyran Alliance and trade with all the major I.S powers.

I haven't checked the updated MUL as of late, but from the old one and the sourcebooks... like Mechwarrior's Gude to the Clans, the WiE players with a custom 'mech in the RPG (I.e, allowed to pick what 'mech they want) are allowed to pick any I.S unit off the I.S House RATs or Clan RATs. 

The only exceptions, of course, are prototypes and unique 'mechs such as Victor and Hohiro's Direwolves, or things featured in the XTROs.

Widowmaker, however, is an exception to that rule as they've copied Natasha's config and made it official- it's a '12' result on their RAT in one of the books (I think it's Mechwarrior's Guide to the Clans).

They also received alot of the Protomech stuff from the Smoke Jaguar Annihilation, even though they didn't participate.

In short, if it's a canon 'general' config like the Fafnir, Warhammer, Thunderhawk, Kodiak, Blood Kite, Ebon Jaguar C, Warhawk A, Cougar B...whatever, the WiE can use it.

Regardless if it's I.S or Clan.

Well, if you and everyone else want Phelan Wolf to be in this Star, that means this would become the next Golden Keshik, which is a part of the WiE Alpha Galaxy. Although that would be SICK, its not realistic for Phelan to be in a 100 toner. Isn't he used to a Timber Wolf and a Wolfhound? Here's what I'm getting at: I really want this star to be awesome because of its uniqueness, not antireality. I'm saying its more realistic for a bunch a really good mechwarriors to get an ensemble of 100 tonners, than for the Golden Keshik to be completely remodeled and for Phelan to become all of the sudden dissatisfied with his Timber Wolf and bring up a random thought: "I want to pilot a 100 tonner!" You know what I mean?

Phelan used a custom Direwolf for his Trial of Position, and a Nova in the Refusal War.  Those aren't the only times he's used other 'mechs too- I want to say he used something different in the Trial with the Jaguars in... Grave Covenant I think?

In any case, he can use whatever 'mech you want to put him into. 

He's never shown the abilities for Phantom Mech, however, as far as I know.  His father had it though, which tripled the range against him by all enemies, gave him a constant +10 movement ability, and allowed him to add or subtract 2 from the location rolls against him once per turn.

I.e, Phelan (if he ever had the ability, and he may) could be standing in heavy woods.  Enemy A is at 10 hexes away and tries to fire at him with a Gauss Rifle.  The range is tripled, so the shot is treated as if he's at range 30.  Out of range.  Phelan gets to shoot Enemy A as if he's at 10 hexes, however.  Enemy B is 4 hexes away and tries to shoot Phelan with a standard I.S Large laser.  The range is tripled out to 12, so it goes from +0 (short) to +4 (long).  The light woods gives Phelan another +1 bonus, and the Phelan's ability gives him a constant +4 to hit.  That means Enemy A has a +9 bonus...unless his piloting is 3 or lower, he can't hit Phelan.

Phelan, however, suffers no such penalties and is a 0/0- so if he was in Widowmaker, for example, to hit Enemy A he needs to roll a 1 on 2D6 to hit the Enemy A at 10 hexes with his ER PPCs and needs to roll a -1 to hit with the Large Pulse lasers.

Formerly known as 'Phad'

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #78 on: 30 August 2011, 12:01:43 »

Phelan never exhibited the Phantom Mech ability.

True- but he has never been in a situation that gave it a chance to awaken either.  I mean, if we're going with fantasy football here, who's the say his powers from his father aren't there, and didn't activate in that battle where Ranna was killed by the WoB?
Formerly known as 'Phad'

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
« Reply #79 on: 30 August 2011, 12:11:52 »
Phelan used a custom Direwolf for his Trial of Position, and a Nova in the Refusal War.  Those aren't the only times he's used other 'mechs too- I want to say he used something different in the Trial with the Jaguars in... Grave Covenant I think?
Do you know it he still uses that mech now?

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #80 on: 30 August 2011, 12:20:10 »
Phelan used a Executioner/Gladiator during Operation: Bulldog.  But 95 tons is way to light for this star.

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
« Reply #81 on: 30 August 2011, 12:20:50 »
Phelan used a Executioner/Gladiator during Operation: Bulldog.  But 95 tons is way to light for this star.
Okay you've proved your point. rofl  ;D

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
« Reply #82 on: 30 August 2011, 12:30:05 »
Alright everyone here's what I have ready to go in megamek right now:

Fafnir (brawler)

Marauder II Bounty Hunter (Sniper)

Dire Wolf (Daishi) Widowmaker (Brawler)

Grand Titan T-IT-N11M (Brawler)

Bane (Kraken) 3 (Sniper/HEAVY Fire Support)

All pilots skill/gunnery is 1/1

Server: 67.53.188.198

Port: 2348

Version: 35.24

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #83 on: 30 August 2011, 12:30:50 »
Hey, I like this exercise! Heh.

I would think about the PLG-4Z Pillager as a sniper.    Stealth armor, twin Gauss Rifles, jump jets, standard armor.  Evil.

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
« Reply #84 on: 30 August 2011, 12:39:32 »
What do you guys think? You think the Grand Titan T-IT-N11M is a worthy brawling mech in this star?

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #85 on: 30 August 2011, 12:45:39 »
Not really. There are better IS brawlers out there at 100 tons. There's a sick Banshee (95 tons, I know) with a targeting computer I prefer. And Clan tech, you're better off with the Kodiak.

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
« Reply #86 on: 30 August 2011, 12:47:31 »
Not really. There are better IS brawlers out there at 100 tons. There's a sick Banshee (95 tons, I know) with a targeting computer I prefer. And Clan tech, you're better off with the Kodiak.
Okay, I'll switch it to the Kodiak. What do you guys prefer? The original, Kodiak 1, 2, 3, 4, or Kodiak 5? Its obviously going to be a brawler.

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #87 on: 30 August 2011, 12:51:27 »
I like the Kodiak 1. It's a Ghost Bear mech too, so I should have thought of it first :D

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #88 on: 30 August 2011, 12:53:57 »
Okay, I'll switch it to the Kodiak. What do you guys prefer? The original, Kodiak 1, 2, 3, 4, or Kodiak 5? Its obviously going to be a brawler.

The original.

From Sarna:

Formerly known as 'Phad'

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
« Reply #89 on: 30 August 2011, 12:55:56 »
I like the Kodiak 1. It's a Ghost Bear mech too, so I should have thought of it first :D
Okay here's what I got now:

Fafnir (brawler)

Marauder II Bounty Hunter (Sniper)

Dire Wolf (Daishi) Widowmaker (Brawler)

Kodiak 2 (Brawler)

Bane (Kraken) 3 (Sniper/HEAVY Fire Support)

All pilots skill/gunnery is 1/1

Server: 67.53.188.198

Port: 2348

Version: 35.24