Author Topic: Robotech licence to produce miniatures sold to Palladium Games - Unseen soon?  (Read 44069 times)

Lysenko

• Lieutenant
  • 15th Dracon: A Proud Tradition of Service
    • Polar Bear Dreams & Stranger Things
No. Monopoly laws do not apply to intellectual properties.

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
Without asking for details... I shudder to think what that statement means.

Caz

You can get official Macross stuff in Btech scale from Japan without ever even imagining a HG logo.

Honestly real Ral Partha unseen at LotB are cheaper though, and metal.

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
I'm confused by this statement...

Why exactly are you going to turn your unseen into battlefield damage? Is it a Demo Team thing? Because you can't play them, you're going to destroy them? Their existence does not benefit Palladium from what I can tell... Wouldn't it be wiser to sell them to interested parties, that want legitimate copies of the unseen, then use the money to buy something else... I'm just saying it seems awfully wasteful... Unless they aren't legitimate copies...

Caz

They are legitimate, (trust me, I'd never, ever utilize a reproduction) its just that I can't use them at events, and now prefer not to even on my own tabletop. I just realized though using them for battlefield decoration still isnt viable if the parts are recognizeable, so I might just make them into a Christmas gift for some friends/collectors.

Having to repurchase and repaint the gaps in my units is a job I'll have to get around to, but it does give me an excuse to kitbash some re-seen into more primitive looking versions to create an earlier era look. 
« Last Edit: 27 September 2012, 22:59:38 by William J. Pennington »

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
They are legitimate, (trust me, I'd never, ever utilize a reporduction) its just that I can't use them at events, and now prefer not to even on my own tabletop. I just realized though using them for battlefield decoration still isnt viable if the parts are recognizeable, so I might just make them into a Christmas gift for some friends/collectors.

Having to repurchase and repaint the gaps in my units is a job I'll have to get around to, but it does give me an excuse to kitbash some re-seen into more primitive looking versions to create an earlier era look. 

can i be your friend :)

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Lysenko

• Lieutenant
  • 15th Dracon: A Proud Tradition of Service
    • Polar Bear Dreams & Stranger Things

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
wow um...I believe they stole that pose from the re-seen Archer...

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
wow um...I believe they stole that pose from the re-seen Archer...

And the Hammerhands on the current intro box has its pose stolen from the Warhammer on the original '80s intro box.  Best not to worry.  :)

shadow_walker

• Master Sergeant
  • CBT Player (Ret.)
Interesting. A robotech friend of mine would love this.
Junction City, Kansas (noun) a parasitic town that leeches off the sore underbelly of a local military base.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
I'm sure the Artist thought it was "Cool" to add them, but as they are, there's NO WAY the lifting arms could open the doors to the missile pods.  The best they could do is open the doors straight up, which still wouldn't allow the missiles to clear the doors.  ;D  But then, when has "Reality" ever intruded too seriously into "Big Stompy Robots"?   #P
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
● 1/285th scale game pieces with detail

I think this is codespeak for "Battletech sized" - as otherwise the Glaug will have to be big enough for a Valkyrie in battloid mode to sit inside it ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
I am so looking forward to these. It will be interesting to see how many of these are purchased for use with other gameing systems
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
How much bigger is a Glaug or Regult compared to a Tomahawk?
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

avon1985

• Major
looks nice, if its similar in size to the unseen I will be getting some.

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
Destroids and Valkyies are roughly the size of the Zentradi pilots inside the Glaugs and Regults.

This has some comparison pics and data.
http://www.macross2.net/m3/forfansonly/zentradiheight.html

Edit2: I just skimmed over the linked article and I wasn't quite right. The average Zentradi is 10 meters, the Valkyrie in Battroid mode is almost 13 meters.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2013, 16:10:36 by Brother Jim »

SteelWarrior

• Lieutenant
    • SteelWarrior Battletech
Im actually salty about this whole damned thing.   Been following the palladium site for the better part of 6 months keeping an eye on this project, being both a huge robotech and battletech fan i would of spent hundreds on this new product.  And after being promised delivery and production heading into full scale mode,  suddenly, "hey kick starter guys".   ugh.....
Check out my Battletech Youtube Channel at:

SteelWarrior Battletech
https://www.youtube.com/user/SteelWarriorBT

For Video Battle Reports/Hobby Tutorials/Product Reviews

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
Update: From the developer's blog:

http://robotechbattles.blogspot.com/2013/02/you-wanted-pics-here-is-first.html

Wow, that actually looks pretty damn cool.

Always prefered the cockpit location on the "original" Robotech version vs where it is located for the CBT Archer. 

I wonder if they'll have a variant where the center bay is opened as well?

If it is in scale for Battletech (BAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA OMG, did I just say I just type that!?!) I may have to pic at least one up.

Thanks for the link!
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
How much bigger is a Glaug or Regult compared to a Tomahawk?
Got some stats from over at mahq.net:

Glaug (Marauder): 16.5m, 41 tons
Regult: 15.1m, 37 tons
Defender (Rifleman): 11.3m, 27 tons
Tomahawk (Warhammer): 12.7m (11.3m eye-level,) 31 tons
Spartan (Archer): 11.3m, 29 tons
Monster: 22.5m, 285.5 tons!  (The guns are 400mm caliber, or about 15.75 inch.)
Phalanx (Longbow): 12m, 47 tons

Veritechs (all): 12.7m (as battroid,) 13.25 tons empty, 19 tons with standard loadout, max gross weight 37 tons
There's also something called the Fast Pack, which increases the masses to 19, 45, and 72 respectively.

As for the Dougram based 'Mechs (for reference sake alone):

Dougram (Shadow Hawk): 9.5m, 20 tons
Ironfoot (Thunderbolt): 8.9m, 30 tons
Blizzard Gunner (Scorpion): 3.8-10.4m, 29.6 tons.  Apparently it can tuck its legs underneath for extra height.
Crab Gunner (Goliath): 12.2m, 35.3 tons.
Roundfacer (Griffin): 10m, 30.5 tons.
Bushman (3050 Griffin): 9.4m, 25.5 tons.
Bigfoot (Battlemaster): 11.6m, 27 tons.
Blockhead (Wolverine): 11.8m, 31.6 tons.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
Ok just out of curiosity why on the actual model for the Dougram Crab gunner they actually call it Tequila gunner?  Will have to find a pic..

And it sounds like the Monster is pretty much a walking battleship turret

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
because the Monster is a waddling Battleship Turret?

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
because the Monster is a waddling Battleship Turret?

Until they turn it into a flying Bomber in Macross Frontier that is.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Until they turn it into a flying Bomber in Macross Frontier that is.
Flying Battleship Turret.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Ok just out of curiosity why on the actual model for the Dougram Crab gunner they actually call it Tequila gunner?  Will have to find a pic..

THere are in fact two near-identical designs - one has 4 legs, the other has 6 (I had the kits once). Otherwise pretty identical. Can't recall which is meant to be the Crab, and which the Tequila, but IMO the Crab Gunner would be the 6-legger.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Stormlion1

• Colonel
Flying Battleship Turret.

Now thats a LAM I can get behind!  :D

George_Labour

• Master Sergeant
I'm actually rather excited about this project. Mostly because I want a 'legal' version of the MAC II in 6mm scale. Plus as much as I love Btech and Heavy Gear I've been wanting a more anime style mech game for a while. A game where firing a hundred missiles out of your kneecaps as a teen idol singer destroys the enemy command structure with her love is seen as standard fare in combat.

Plus another source of unseens that's not a forgery is welcome for me. It'll let me finally try to do some posing and kitbashing without fretting over hacking apart my originals.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
You know its kind of sad all this hype about Robotech, if they were smart they wouldn't focus on the Robotech universe exclusivly but get the rights to do Macross as well. There is just as much info out there about that as there is Robotech, and honestly most anime fans who would be attracted to the game know Macross just as much as they would Robotech.

WilhelmRochRedDuke

• Recruit
Macross and Robotech are two completely separate licenses. Palladium only has License for Robotech.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
And the rights to Macross are complicated to say the least.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
complicated is putting it mildly.

— From a post on rpg.net

Stormlion1

• Colonel
The Licenses are complicated for the original Macross and the music. Disentangle the original Macross and the music and it gets less complicated especially when you get to Plus or Frontier which only had one production company and since were playing with miniatures who needs the rights to the music? Plus Palladium could just use the Robotech licence for the original Macross designs anyway so the original series is taken care of.

Macross 7 might be a bit more complicated then that though.

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
snip

Crab Gunner      http://www.mahq.net/mecha/dougram/dougram/f44a.htm
Tequila Gunner  http://www.mahq.net/mecha/dougram/dougram/f44b.htm
Desert Gunner   http://toyboxdx.com/datafiles/data/dougram/images/144-06.jpg

Register