Author Topic: More crack please  (Read 237602 times)

Alex Keller

• Captain
Re: More crack please
« Reply #780 on: 23 June 2014, 17:20:10 »
+3

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #781 on: 23 June 2014, 19:23:44 »
nope, will just have to have the Cloudy Stoned Coyotes ... "Reports of the demise of the (Cloudy) Stone Coyotes are being verified and the question still being asked if the force was the ‘(Cloudy) Stoned Coyotes’ given their penchant to stop at any world with a 7-11 or kebab shop."

It's not the Stone Coyotes ... it's the Stone's Coyotes!

(with apologies to Stackpole ...)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #782 on: 24 June 2014, 01:31:20 »
It's not the Stone Coyotes ... it's the Stone's Coyotes!

(with apologies to Stackpole ...)
It's not the Stone Lions...it's the Stone's Lyin'!
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #783 on: 24 June 2014, 01:33:52 »
It's not the Wesley Crushers it the Wesley Crushers!
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #784 on: 24 June 2014, 06:41:53 »
It be cool if Will Weaton played Battletech, that regimental/mercenary unit name would be awesome.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #785 on: 24 June 2014, 07:21:46 »
Yep, especially as the Wolf's Dragoons to his Waco Rangers.   8)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #786 on: 24 June 2014, 07:38:42 »
Any speculation what the REVIVAL Trials will be like?  Gleaming what i could find from the original Jade Falcon source book (Wolf book had almost couple sentences...) Falcons and other crusader clans took on Wolf in series of trials of refusal against invasion on the Mars fields of Stracha Mechty.  I don't think those were trials for position for the invasion. Invading Clans book didn't look like they cover much on the trials, just the invasion from other clans didn't get their own source book.

What source books have Trials of position for the invasion in them?  I could sworn i read them somewhere
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #787 on: 24 June 2014, 13:32:46 »
Clan Wolf fought a trial of refusal against the invasion. After that the clans fought a series of trials of position to see who would participate.

Its mentioned pretty briefly in the history of most clans. So the invading clans sourcebook, field manual warden clans or field manual crusader clans should reference it. But it has never been explored in depth.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #788 on: 24 June 2014, 13:37:42 »
I'm perfectly fine with this.
Assuming he has a Battle Armor special forces group called "The Redshirts".  O0
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #789 on: 24 June 2014, 13:40:03 »

I just sent him an email, if he has time...I'll hear back, but he's a busy guy.
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #790 on: 24 June 2014, 13:53:17 »
I guess I had good timing today...here's his response...

Email from Wil Wheaton...

I haven't played Battletech in ... gosh, 25 years? But I am familiar with it (and the short lived places you could go play it in pods and pretend you were driving an actual mech).

I would be honored if someone created a unit called the "Wesley Crushers"!

Wil

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #791 on: 24 June 2014, 13:53:32 »
For those looking for more (BattleTech) crack, Randall's been leaving more tidbits on Twitter and Facebook. The most recent being ...
Okay, finished going through Alpha Strike Companion, now to fold all my notes back into the PDF to hand off to Ray… rnb

I can't help you with any other crack varieties. Sorry.

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #792 on: 24 June 2014, 14:00:35 »

I haven't played Battletech in ... gosh, 25 years? But I am familiar with it (and the short lived places you could go play it in pods and pretend you were driving an actual mech).

Wil

Tell him if I do this, it will require a mention on The Wil Wheaton Project.  (And yes, I will do this.)
Eh.

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #793 on: 24 June 2014, 14:01:38 »
Tell him if I do this, it will require a mention on The Wil Wheaton Project.  (And yes, I will do this.)

I'll do one better...I'll send him a link to the thread. With any luck, he will make an account & talk to us about it so we can get this done! I'd love to see it.

GhostBear

• Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #794 on: 24 June 2014, 14:02:44 »
I'll do one better...I'll send him a link to the thread. With any luck, he will make an account & talk to us about it so we can get this done! I'd love to see it.

Great! I'll even add any friends he wants name-checked into the unit.
Eh.

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #795 on: 24 June 2014, 14:08:53 »
Just sent him the link...now we wait & see! Pretty cool guy I must say, and very glad he didn't fall off the map after Star Trek:TNG & has had a good career. Not many people would actually take the time to respond given the kind of hectic schedule they have, but he's always come off as "one of the guys" rather than "snobby celebrity". Nice to know real people exist in Hollywood!

<crosses fingers> If he comes on, and this happens...I'm making a unit specifically for it. I'd love to see Fighting Pirannha Graphics come up with a logo for it (unless you want to GB). Could go so far as a bowling ball, hitting 3 pins out of the way (one center, one right, one left) with the Big Bang Theory's molecule as the background.

Just make sure to come up with a unit paint scheme too! Those are always lacking in the books!!! We need to make this one happen, and have it done right!

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #796 on: 24 June 2014, 14:15:22 »
Not sure if he's going to make an account/log in or not...but he did see the thread & read the responses from GhostBear...here's his reply to me...

"I can't promise anything on the show, but I'll do my best."

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #797 on: 24 June 2014, 14:26:44 »
This is now my favorite thread. I eagerly await the canonization of Wesley Crushers.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #798 on: 24 June 2014, 14:30:47 »
This is now my favorite thread. I eagerly await the canonization of Wesley Crushers.

Ya know, back when I started this thread, I had no idea how big it would get...but I agree with you! We've gotten some great answers, and some really funny responses...but this "Wesley Crushers" thing tops them all. If it doesn't happen as a "canon" thing...I'm doing it anyways & I will have FPG make the decals for it. He (Wil Wheaton) is a cool guy, and literally took the time to respond to a random fan...so why not do it anyways?

Definitely hope he says something in the show, that would seal the deal for making this happen, but if not...I'll definitely make it myself.

If you see this again Wil...thanks for taking the time out of your schedule! You're a good guy...best of luck man!

GhostBear

• Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #799 on: 24 June 2014, 14:35:52 »
Ya know, back when I started this thread, I had no idea how big it would get...but I agree with you! We've gotten some great answers, and some really funny responses...but this "Wesley Crushers" thing tops them all. If it doesn't happen as a "canon" thing...I'm doing it anyways & I will have FPG make the decals for it. He (Wil Wheaton) is a cool guy, and literally took the time to respond to a random fan...so why not do it anyways?

Definitely hope he says something in the show, that would seal the deal for making this happen, but if not...I'll definitely make it myself.

If you see this again Wil...thanks for taking the time out of your schedule! You're a good guy...best of luck man!

If he does it, it will go a long way towards making up for "blowing off" my request to write the intro to my book last year....  ;)

I've already got a project in mind to stick the Crushers in. If he wants input on the logo and colors, pass 'em along to me.
Eh.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #800 on: 24 June 2014, 14:53:06 »
Who would have guessed my silly joke would turn out like this. :D
Now I have a really great story to tell in my author blog tomorrow :)
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #801 on: 24 June 2014, 15:42:25 »

Wil

He should also be aware of it from the Mechwarrior 4 bouts he hosted on Arena.  That's right, a pre-buyout G4 reference!

And he is a nice guy.  I know a writer from The Nerdist who can vouch for it.  He and Chris Hardwick, in addition to being one time roomies are both passionate about giving gaming culture the same coverage enjoyed by film and sports.

TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #802 on: 24 June 2014, 16:23:32 »
I thought about writing about what my wife would be willing to do for Chris Hardwick to have a positive BT plug on The Nerdist podcast but thought better of it.

Though she does make fantastic deserts.  He could have a lifetime's worth of blueberry cobbler with homemade ice cream. O:-) Though he'd be risking a return of "Fat Chris".

[Ramble over for the time being.]

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #803 on: 24 June 2014, 16:29:16 »
And he is a nice guy.  I know a writer from The Nerdist who can vouch for it.  He and Chris Hardwick, in addition to being one time roomies are both passionate about giving gaming culture the same coverage enjoyed by film and sports.

Good to hear!

Back on topic, and not to beat a dead horse...

Hypothesis for ilClan - The homeworld clans, after all this time out there alone, take Kerensky's dream a little further & streamline it. The clans all either fold in to, or are absorbed in to 1 or 2 clans (probably 2 so there's the ability to trial against each other). They come up with a bunch of new tech from the reavings & the discovery of The Society. Say it's un-developed tech that they prefect. Then, this 1 or 2 clan force launches a full scale invasion of the IS. Either down from the Davion/Capellan/Marik area...or just right through the current IS clans areas.

They demolish all who stand in their way as they are a larger force than the original invasion fleet. They reach Terra, and either are met by Stone, or one of Stones closest people like Redburn...hell maybe Julian reaches Terra on his way to New Avalon & is swept up in this. Whatever person it is...either leads a force against the invading clan (call it what you will, but I believe the Cobras & Adders could easily become one...not sure about the Coyotes & Lions), or ends up using clan tactics against them & calls for a trial of possession (or one is called on Terra & this person defends either way). Whatever homeworld clan it is...becomes ilClan. Some of the IS clans follow in line, others rage against them, maybe even to be annihilated.

Just my thoughts...which I think would be awesome, but at the same time...I'm a Wolf at heart & would love to see them win. I just think that's the "obvious" choice and won't happen. If it doesn't, I'd love to see the Coyotes, Star Adders, or the Cloud Cobras win it (not in any specific order).

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #804 on: 24 June 2014, 16:47:46 »
Who would have guessed my silly joke would turn out like this. :D
Now I have a really great story to tell in my author blog tomorrow :)

This thread has made me dizzy ...

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #805 on: 24 June 2014, 16:48:44 »
This thread has made me dizzy ...

No operating heavy machinery

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #806 on: 24 June 2014, 17:23:23 »

Wil

Not to be a wet blanket here, but while HE would be honored, I wonder if someone with an army of lawyers and a trademark on the name would have a problem with it.

-

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #807 on: 24 June 2014, 17:25:10 »
Not to be a wet blanket here, but while HE would be honored, I wonder if someone with an army of lawyers and a trademark on the name would have a problem with it.

-

>>>Throws Herb in the nearest industrial strength dryer...<<<

We want a unit called the Wesley Crushers!!! lol

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #808 on: 24 June 2014, 17:54:58 »
>>>Throws Herb in the nearest industrial strength dryer...<<<

We want a unit called the Wesley Crushers!!! lol

You also want classic 'Mechs that look like someone else's intellectual property. I can't help but recall how THAT worked out...

-

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #809 on: 24 June 2014, 18:01:35 »
How about Wheaton's Crushers?  He's already cool with the idea, and it still holds to the idea while being a lot less direct.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!