Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - (Yes, seriously)  (Read 220750 times)

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - (Yes, seriously)
« Reply #120 on: 22 August 2011, 13:35:33 »
We are the Bronies. Your cultural references WILL be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
The Herd is waiting.

Gott in Himmel! There are reasons that I resist the Brony Monkier. Beyond the preaching of love and tolerance is an insidious plot to destroy the value of the yen and capture the souls and minds for their tyrannical pink lady, the Pinkie Pie. Possibly. . . However, I like the show, but the fans of it, I can only tolerate to a degree. Honestly, who says to themselves that they want to make a story like "Cupcakes?" Or the shipping? Though there is some good stuff like the Prillotasheta's Thessalonica Legacy and Past Sins. And I honestly like taking characters and putting them through the ringer, but there is that. And then there is "Cupcakes."

Oh, and we have confirmation of the next season! *happy*

Well that's good. It's at the least its a enjoyable show. I just wish that the Acrobats didn't get work. Someday, the madness of Yo Yo Gabba Gabba will end along with the Hub's Folly in giving those madmen a show, and my niece will watch something that actually doesn't annoy me.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #121 on: 23 August 2011, 09:52:19 »
Yeah, sadly I think it's starting to reach the point where people are more into the FANDOM then the show itself. It's a fun, fairly uplifting show when you get right down to it, but so many people seem to want to turn it into something it's not. But then, I never saw the need for the rampant shipping or UltraGrimDark interpretations in anything I've liked, and I know that aspect of fandom has been around forever too.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #122 on: 15 September 2011, 10:09:05 »
Probably not news to most of you who are interested in all thing Herd related, but a quick reminder that the new seaon starts this Saturday. Get your horseshoes on.

(Also, Q! WHOOOOT)

Shatara

• Master Sergeant
  • Your flank belongs to the Star League
« Reply #123 on: 15 September 2011, 12:58:14 »
Currently running in resist-spoiler mode till Saturday. Some people seem to run on the assumption that since they saw it, everyone else has too x.X

Also, Equestria Daily hit 40mil.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #124 on: 15 September 2011, 15:05:19 »
Probably not news to most of you who are interested in all thing Herd related, but a quick reminder that the new seaon starts this Saturday. Get your horseshoes on.

(Also, Q! WHOOOOT)

Wait Q? Let me go see what this is about.

[Goes to a known Source of Information on such subject]

Gott in Himmel! It is Q. Wow, that is an expansion of vocal talent pool from mostly Ocean Vancouver actresses with the occasional actor plus Tara Strong to now including John De Lancie. Now if only David Kaye could play a red dragon, I could get a Beast Wars reference or two with Scott McNeil usually available as well. Plus a couple of Transformer Animated references to boot.

Probably won't happen, but one can dream.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #125 on: 16 September 2011, 11:31:06 »
I'm still hoping they work out a way to get Wierd Al :D

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #126 on: 16 September 2011, 12:16:03 »
Gott in Himmel! There are reasons that I resist the Brony Monkier. Beyond the preaching of love and tolerance is an insidious plot to destroy the value of the yen and capture the souls and minds for their tyrannical pink lady, the Pinkie Pie. Possibly. . . However, I like the show, but the fans of it, I can only tolerate to a degree. Honestly, who says to themselves that they want to make a story like "Cupcakes?" Or the shipping? Though there is some good stuff like the Prillotasheta's Thessalonica Legacy and Past Sins. And I honestly like taking characters and putting them through the ringer, but there is that. And then there is "Cupcakes."

Not gonna lie, I love the fandom.  Most of it.  Unfortunately (or, hell, fortunately if your tastes swing that direction), with a fandom this large, you're going to get damn near everything under the sun crossed with ponies in some way, shape, or form.  Cupcakes got blown hugely out of proportion as "THAT fic" early in the fandom and has stuck ever since.

I'm not usually a fan of the Grimdark stories, but there are a few that I really enjoy (Fallout: Equestria) or get a chuckle out of (Fluttershy Gets a Papercut).  Cupcakes is just.... eurgh.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #127 on: 16 September 2011, 13:12:25 »
Dare I ask what Cupcakes is. :|

Prillotashekta

• Master Sergeant
  • Whee!
« Reply #128 on: 16 September 2011, 15:56:57 »
Dare I ask what Cupcakes is. :|

It is a fanfic from the earlier days of the fandom. Notable because it is very dark and very gruesome. Short synopsis, Pinkie Pie snaps and starts murdering her friends and uses them as cupcake ingredients.
I have not read it, nor do I have any intention of ever doing so.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."
-Charles Darwin

Shatara

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #129 on: 16 September 2011, 16:31:40 »
Not gonna lie, I love the fandom.  Most of it.  Unfortunately (or, hell, fortunately if your tastes swing that direction), with a fandom this large, you're going to get damn near everything under the sun crossed with ponies in some way, shape, or form.  Cupcakes got blown hugely out of proportion as "THAT fic" early in the fandom and has stuck ever since.

I'm not usually a fan of the Grimdark stories, but there are a few that I really enjoy (Fallout: Equestria) or get a chuckle out of (Fluttershy Gets a Papercut).  Cupcakes is just.... eurgh.
I concur. Sure, there's some weirdness, but there's also a lot of awesome stories, art and music. It's quite the disservice to dismiss it all on account of a few shipfics (and ESPECIALLY on account of 'Cupcakes').

Fallout: Equestria is some of the best fiction (never mind fan-) I've read in quite a while. I recommend it, especially if you've any interest in Fallout.

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
  • It could always be worse.
« Reply #130 on: 16 September 2011, 19:09:10 »
I started playing Fallout after reading Fallout: Equestria and it permenantly bent my perceptions.  Now I think of all the Vaults as Stables and read 'Stable Tec' where 'Vault Tec' is written.

As for other fanfics, I'm really not a fan of all the female-on-female shipping that gets done by the fandom.  Just because six sevenths of the cast is female doesn't mean that two (or more) of them will be lesbian.  Cupcakes, on the other hand, I rather enjoyed because I find the juxtaposition of revolting gruesomeness and grimdark against a happy-go-lucky kids' show to be highly amusing.
"Peace through superior firepower."- Arsenal of Freedom, ST:TNG

Kamov

• Warrant Officer
  • It's time to end this ones and for all
« Reply #131 on: 16 September 2011, 23:09:07 »
I'm still hoping they work out a way to get Wierd Al :D

What's this?  Is Weird Al interested in the show?
(The above writing is entirely my opinion based upon my own incomplete knowledge of life, the universe, and everything beyond it and should be taken as such although I don't want to tell you what to do, because that's your right and your freedom to choose your own opinions and ablah blah blah legalese etc etc)

Shatara

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #132 on: 17 September 2011, 00:39:15 »
I started playing Fallout after reading Fallout: Equestria and it permenantly bent my perceptions.  Now I think of all the Vaults as Stables and read 'Stable Tec' where 'Vault Tec' is written.
Not alone here. Heck, I'd played Fallout previously and I still use FO:E terminology.
As for other fanfics, I'm really not a fan of all the female-on-female shipping that gets done by the fandom.  Just because six sevenths of the cast is female doesn't mean that two (or more) of them will be lesbian.
>implying heteronormativity has stopped shippers in any fandom
I think it's a rule of the internet in any work with at least two characters, they will be shipped. Heck, even ones with less than two, I'm sure someone could find a few ships. In any case, I don't see how it's worth getting bent out of shape over.

What's this?  Is Weird Al interested in the show?
He tweeted a pony-video of one of his songs, and the director asked him if he'd be interested in a cameo. Nothing further is known.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #133 on: 17 September 2011, 09:24:09 »
Waking up four hours early to catch the season premier?

Totally worth it.  Did not disappoint.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #134 on: 19 September 2011, 07:10:45 »
He tweeted a pony-video of one of his songs, and the director asked him if he'd be interested in a cameo. Nothing further is known.
More specifically, This Video.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #135 on: 19 September 2011, 07:50:30 »
More specifically, This Video.

OK...um...Wow! That is actually cool! Flows better then many video made by creative editing...
(I still think the "It's Raining Men" version done using scenes from "300" was more amusing, though)
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #136 on: 19 September 2011, 08:00:57 »
My Little Pony and Pinkie Pie just a mention in the latest Real Life Comics Strip
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOMâ„¢

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #137 on: 26 September 2011, 07:38:09 »
So..did anyone else just crack up completely when they realised they were ending the ep on a full scale Star Wars ref? :D

Prillotashekta

• Master Sergeant
  • Whee!
« Reply #138 on: 26 September 2011, 10:53:09 »
So..did anyone else just crack up completely when they realised they were ending the ep on a full scale Star Wars ref? :D

My wife and I were both like, "wait...   wait... are they?  Yup, there's the wink... and... Ah HA!" and then we laughed
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."
-Charles Darwin

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #139 on: 26 September 2011, 11:14:18 »
Just because six sevenths of the cast is female doesn't mean that two (or more) of them will be lesbian.
True, but Rainbow Dash at least seems to 'ping on the gaydar'.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
  • It could always be worse.
« Reply #140 on: 26 September 2011, 11:43:46 »
True, but Rainbow Dash at least seems to 'ping on the gaydar'.

I disagree.  I have two sisters that could be considered fairly tomboy, and both are firmly heterosexual.  Just because Rainbow Dash expresses competitive interests does not indicate her sexual orientation.  In fact, I would say that the show has supplied no information on the preferences of any of the mane cast, with the exception of Spike (whose interest in Rarity can be equated to a schoolboy crush and is not indicative of what gender or species he will find attractive as an adult dragon).
"Peace through superior firepower."- Arsenal of Freedom, ST:TNG

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #141 on: 26 September 2011, 12:41:11 »
Considering Faust's views on the matter, I suspect Dash is likely to be the LEAST likely to be of that sexual persuasion, if just to prove a point about stereotypes.

It's why I rather like the Lyra/BonBon pairings. They're just two casual girls who seem to dig each other, rather then a raging stereotype.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #142 on: 20 October 2011, 06:46:38 »
For those poor, unbeloved souls who havent heard, this Saturday is LUNA Saturday. I henceforth proclaim it Luna Day. (Hail the Lunar Republic!)

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #143 on: 20 October 2011, 19:06:40 »
For those poor, unbeloved souls who havent heard, this Saturday is LUNA Saturday. I henceforth proclaim it Luna Day. (Hail the Lunar Republic!)

LUNAAAAAAAAA!

They changed her mane.  I like it.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #144 on: 20 October 2011, 23:02:51 »
ya know, at the behest of a friend I watch a few episodes recently (first 2 + "Butterguy" ) and I have to say, the series is not bad. In the future I can see myself randomly watching an ep or 2 when I am bored.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Shatara

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #145 on: 21 October 2011, 03:33:34 »
LUNAAAAAAAAA!

They changed her mane.  I like it.
LUNAAAAAAAAAAA

Be interesting to see the story behind that. Will be a little disappoint if they're ditching her old design, but we've got plotloads of fanart of that anyway.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #146 on: 21 October 2011, 09:08:19 »
I REALLY like her mane!  ;D
Im going to be ejoying the fallout from this ep as fanons come crashing down.

Shatara

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #147 on: 22 October 2011, 19:04:09 »
Not seen much fallout around myself. A couple posters here and and there with complaints mostly about the voicework (too deep and/or too much Rarity), but all the MY FANON IS RUUUUIIIIINED posts I've seen were quite clearly joking...>.>

Oh, and someone going by 'NightmareMoon' on IRC taking flak about the whole candy thing. Does that count? x3

Also, Luna is now patron saint of caps lock.

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #148 on: 23 October 2011, 15:27:33 »
watched the first episiode on youtube, while i'll probably not watch anymore (this type of cartoon just isn't my thing) it wasn't bad...i'd watch it if i were bored and found it on tv while flipping channels
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #149 on: 24 October 2011, 07:42:11 »
Not seen much fallout around myself. A couple posters here and and there with complaints mostly about the voicework (too deep and/or too much Rarity), but all the MY FANON IS RUUUUIIIIINED posts I've seen were quite clearly joking...>.>

Oh, and someone going by 'NightmareMoon' on IRC taking flak about the whole candy thing. Does that count? x3
Does Luna get to collect back interest on all the candy since her exile? She could always attempt to buy love and friendship.

Register