Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - (Yes, seriously)  (Read 220756 times)

Prillotashekta

• Master Sergeant
  • Whee!
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - (Yes, seriously)
« Reply #90 on: 09 July 2011, 22:47:49 »
Honestly, that wasn't bad. Though it read like Far County more than anything at first. I'd probably have the plant change to a more Blakest style personality and not mention the Master what so ever since I'm not convinced the general Blakest knew that the Master existed even in 3068.

I was wondering how long it would take before someone drew a comparison to Far Country. Yeah, there's definitely some of that early on, but largely unavoidable given the nature of the crossover (strangely enough, the whole having previous visitors some 500 years earlier in both stories was purely coincidental).
That saboteur character was meant to be a rather detestable one-dimensional hate-this-guy plot device. So, yeah, he doesn't really come off as particularly Blakist--but then he is(was?) an undercover operative. The whole not knowing about "the Master" in 3068 was, honestly a goof.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."
-Charles Darwin

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #91 on: 09 July 2011, 23:31:44 »
By your rhetoric, am I to assume that you are to receive my congratulations on entertaining me this afternoon?

Prillotashekta

• Master Sergeant
  • Whee!
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."
-Charles Darwin

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #93 on: 10 July 2011, 01:07:07 »
I'll admit, I'm curious about this. I will have to look into it, as I fondly remember these cartoons from my youngling days.

For some reason they remind me of Tzeentch

How about "My Thousand Sons Ponies?" ;)
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #94 on: 10 July 2011, 02:19:58 »
I've watched a couple episodes out of curiosity, and I don't get what the big deal is.  It's just another cartoon.  I haven't seen anything yet to set it apart from the rest.  It's certainly no Justice League, that's for sure.
Good writing, characters who subtly demolish certain female archetypes, a nice sense of comic timing, lots of adult oriented jokes, and a generally upbeat tone. What's not to get? It's not Justice League, but it's not like it's trying to be. They're completely different genres. (MLP:FIS being a more Slice of Life sit-com)

Also, if the couple of episodes you saw were the pilot, they're generally considered to not be the top tier of eps. Unfortunately, I think you need to watch those to not come into the show blind. Some of the episodes down the line are what really addicted most of us.
« Last Edit: 10 July 2011, 02:22:22 by Istal_Devalis »

Kamov

• Warrant Officer
  • It's time to end this ones and for all
« Reply #95 on: 12 July 2011, 23:26:13 »
Gotta say, this forum is one of the last places I would've expected to see posts about magical friendship...  I can only wonder when the first pics of Rainbow Dashers and Fafnirshys are going to start appearing. 

Hmm...
Queen Celestial (the Archangel?)
Applejackal?
Nightstar Moon?
(The above writing is entirely my opinion based upon my own incomplete knowledge of life, the universe, and everything beyond it and should be taken as such although I don't want to tell you what to do, because that's your right and your freedom to choose your own opinions and ablah blah blah legalese etc etc)

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #96 on: 13 July 2011, 00:49:58 »
I don't know if any of you have seen this yet, but if not you may enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVGI6mhfJyA (Warning, NSFW unless you have headphones)

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

rhino1085

• Corporal
« Reply #97 on: 13 July 2011, 09:56:15 »
Gotta say, this forum is one of the last places I would've expected to see posts about magical friendship...  I can only wonder when the first pics of Rainbow Dashers and Fafnirshys are going to start appearing. 

Hmm...
Queen Celestial (the Archangel?)
Applejackal?
Nightstar Moon?

There's a thread over on the Privateer Press forums too.  It's taken off there pretty well.  Funniest part is, I believe it is in the Cryx subforum - the evil undead kill everyone faction!  My wife still thinks it's hilarious that a bunch of grown men watch a show that my 5 year old daughter loves!

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #98 on: 13 July 2011, 11:40:04 »
My wife still thinks it's hilarious that a bunch of grown men watch a show that my 5 year old daughter loves!
I know she really doesnt mean much by it, but it's that kind of attitude the writers are trying to fight against. No one will think to much of it if an adult male admits to watching Transformers, or GI Joe, or other 7-12 Male oriented shows. If it's a girl who likes those shows, they'll probably think 'neat' as well. A man liking a show targeted toward 7-12 year old girls?  HORRORS. 

Yeah...about that.

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
  • It could always be worse.
« Reply #99 on: 13 July 2011, 13:24:12 »
That is a beautiful colouring job, Istal.
"Peace through superior firepower."- Arsenal of Freedom, ST:TNG

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #100 on: 13 July 2011, 16:59:34 »
There's a thread over on the Privateer Press forums too.  It's taken off there pretty well.  Funniest part is, I believe it is in the Cryx subforum - the evil undead kill everyone faction!  My wife still thinks it's hilarious that a bunch of grown men watch a show that my 5 year old daughter loves!

Actually the couple of crossovers that I've read of MLP:FIM that I've typical seen has any human characters transformed into ponies for whatever reason. This is jarring to me and well just odd. Usually, there is some sort of comment of no humans in Ponyville in the response section. It strikes me as odd when I read such comment since to my knowledge those making the comments are themselves well . . .human. It almost gives off an anti-human vibe to the whole phenomenon. Which I know is not true since well some of the best stuff I've read in the fanfic crossover has humans and ponies interacting such as the above Battletech crossover and a Mass Effect one with the Illusive Man.

It just has never made much sense to me from a group that likes to repeat this "love and tolerate" meme as much as possible for the sheer hatred that a lot of them have for humans appearing with these characters. Honestly, I could probably write a story where the human is the villain, and I'd still get comments about no humans because it's so ingrained at this point.

And I'm not saying that all MLP fans are anti-human. I just fond this comment a lot when I was looking for something on Equestra Daily that I briefly saw and wanted to find. There are several reasons that I'd probably never call myself a brony.

I know she really doesnt mean much by it, but it's that kind of attitude the writers are trying to fight against. No one will think to much of it if an adult male admits to watching Transformers, or GI Joe, or other 7-12 Male oriented shows. If it's a girl who likes those shows, they'll probably think 'neat' as well. A man liking a show targeted toward 7-12 year old girls?  HORRORS. 

To a degree, I'll agree with that statement, but after seeing what some people consider educational these days thanks to watching my niece, I'm pretty much going to be forced to read Le Morte d' Arthur to compensate for how awful most of it is to any possible future offspring. The only reason that I gave the MLP: FiM a chance is that I just hate most educational shows since they aren't educational and two probably would drive me to drink if I couldn't metabolize alcohol. Honestly there is absolutely nothing educational about rabbits going to the store or singing and dancing homunculus controlled by their DJ Master. It's pure distraction plain and simple. So, I let my niece watch it in hopes that she would stop hitting me in the head with the plastic dumptruck, and it worked.

Honestly, I don't really see anything really educational except it teaches kids simple life lessons which the same could be said about He-Man. But at the least, it has good timing and a love of Benny Hill which is more than I can say for that show that every b-level and lower celebrate likes to be on with the homunculus.* It's not Animanics, but it'll do.

Yeah...about that.

I for one fear the Level 4 or 5 Genecaste Pony Abominations that surely someone could imagine now. Then again, I do refer to the Svartalfa Ultra Protomech as My Little Proto.

*The shows that I refer to as the homunculus show is called Yo Gabba Gabba which to me is absolutely dreadful. It's lessons annoy me. It's presentation annoys me. In short, it is annoying to me. Toddlers, stoners, and minor celebrates  love it though. My life would have much more richer if I had never ever seen such a horrid thing. Why my niece had to subject me to it? That is a question that I ask myself in my darker moments. Then I just find my copy of Victory through Air Power by Walt Disney and the world is right again.

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #101 on: 13 July 2011, 20:29:29 »
Harlock, have you tried reading some of Fallout: Equestria?  It's regarded on Equestria Daily as being one of the best fanfics.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #102 on: 13 July 2011, 20:55:07 »
You know I've never given it a try mostly because it looked like another humans replaced by ponies fusion. Honestly, the best MLP fanfic that I've ever read had Pinkie attempting a really big prank involving April Fools Day which I have no idea what the name is.
« Last Edit: 13 July 2011, 21:04:35 by Lord Harlock »

Prillotashekta

• Master Sergeant
  • Whee!
« Reply #103 on: 13 July 2011, 22:00:08 »
I was never able to get into Fallout: Equestria. Oh, the parts I've read have been generally well written. I just don't go in for violent grimdark. Toss depressing postapocalyptic in the mix, and it just doesn't appeal to me.
-Charles Darwin

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #104 on: 14 July 2011, 09:12:43 »
That is a beautiful colouring job, Istal.
Thanks. I keep meaning to do one for the other cast members, but never get around to it.

Harlock, have you tried reading some of Fallout: Equestria?  It's regarded on Equestria Daily as being one of the best fanfics.
You know, for someone who once said they didnt see enough in the show, from the one ep they watched, to keep following, you certainly seem up on your links and recommendations. :D

Anyways, for those who havent seen them yet, the Hub has certainly acknowledged some of their older fans.

Equestrian Girls commercial
There's a Pony For That commercial

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #105 on: 14 July 2011, 11:42:51 »
Also, if the couple of episodes you saw were the pilot, they're generally considered to not be the top tier of eps. Unfortunately, I think you need to watch those to not come into the show blind. Some of the episodes down the line are what really addicted most of us.

I've watched about the first fifteen.  Of those, the pilot was my favorite, and the reason I kept watching was to find more like it.  Since then, the only one I enjoyed was the one with the Zebra, and only then because of Fluttershy's voice.  I haven't noticed any of this "great writing" that people keep going on about.  It's simple, predictable and obvious.  Just like I'd expect a kids cartoon to be.  There have been a couple moments that made me laugh, and it is a cute, non-offensive show with some good lessons for kids, but not enough to keep me interested.  If you like it, then have fun with it.  I'm not going to tell you you're wrong!

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #106 on: 14 July 2011, 19:00:40 »
Yeah, I've watched about 8 to 10 episodes now (thanks, YouTube) and I've become addicted to Equestria Daily.  I like FiM fanfic more than the show itself, especially stories that put the happy, carefree characters into emotionally trying or grimdark situations.  Similarly, I mostly watched the episodes where the ponies have psychotic breaks, like Sonic Rainboom, Party of One, and Best Night Ever.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #107 on: 15 July 2011, 07:52:53 »
I haven't noticed any of this "great writing" that people keep going on about.  It's simple, predictable and obvious.  Just like I'd expect a kids cartoon to be.  There have been a couple moments that made me laugh, and it is a cute, non-offensive show with some good lessons for kids, but not enough to keep me interested.  If you like it, then have fun with it.  I'm not going to tell you you're wrong!
Great as in clever and entertaining. It's not a complex show by a long shot, but it wasnt meant to be. It might have gained a large secondary audience, but its primary target is still 8-10 year olds. But hey, you gave it a shot, which is more then a lot of people did.

Yeah, I've watched about 8 to 10 episodes now (thanks, YouTube) and I've become addicted to Equestria Daily.  I like FiM fanfic more than the show itself, especially stories that put the happy, carefree characters into emotionally trying or grimdark situations.  Similarly, I mostly watched the episodes where the ponies have psychotic breaks, like Sonic Rainboom, Party of One, and Best Night Ever.
Speaking of not getting things...
Never been a huge fan of taking what's a light hearted series, and grimdarking it up. I've seen it happen with several series, and dont really understand the thought process behind it. The world's rather messed up enough that I dont see the attraction in making everything else just as bad or worse. Of course, I'm rather allergic to fanfiction as it is. Most of the fanworks I like tend to be of the fanart variety.

In this particular case, I'm rather fond of the humanization art. That and how everything under the sun seems to be getting drawn as a pony these days. 
« Last Edit: 15 July 2011, 07:58:10 by Istal_Devalis »

Prillotashekta

• Master Sergeant
  • Whee!
« Reply #108 on: 20 July 2011, 00:45:11 »
 :o
Apparently, I impressed someone with that crossover fanfic. They made this totally epic imagining of it as a video game start screen.
I'm totally blown away.
-Charles Darwin

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #109 on: 20 July 2011, 01:51:32 »
Well, you sure impressed me with it.  Could have used a bit more BattleTech style Stuff Blowing Up, but it's not any lesser for not having as much as I, personally, would like.  It was a good read. O0
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #110 on: 20 July 2011, 08:21:53 »
...I'd play the HELL out of that. :D

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #111 on: 02 August 2011, 07:34:21 »
...Finally got around to reading Prillotashekta's crossover...
And then I had a bit of free time. I blame him for this.

Prillotashekta

• Master Sergeant
  • Whee!
« Reply #112 on: 02 August 2011, 12:12:11 »
BWA-Ha-ha-ha!  Oh, dear lord YES!

This is now Ramirez's official paint scheme for his mercenary days!
*please, please post this to ponibooru*

Oh, for those interested, there is another pony fanfic out now that uses BattleTech.
It's not really a crossover as much as the author used elements of BattleTech for the setting. It's still an interesting read, though
story: The Dread Chitin
« Last Edit: 02 August 2011, 12:18:27 by Prillotashekta »
-Charles Darwin

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #113 on: 02 August 2011, 12:58:31 »
:o
Apparently, I impressed someone with that crossover fanfic. They made this totally epic imagining of it as a video game start screen.
I'm totally blown away.

When I saw that picture, I just wished that they had put a Valkyrie on there plus some humans.

...Finally got around to reading Prillotashekta's crossover...
And then I had a bit of free time. I blame him for this.

Galatea 3081
Old Bob's Repair Shop

Robert "Old Bob" Edgar had seen many things in his life as a mechanic working on mechs. He had once seen a lance of Golaiths painted green that worked for a merc company called Turtle Power: that command were apparently shredded by a Saki's Slaughters. And there was the time that he repaired a mech command called Daddy's Girls who painted their mechs white with what appeared to be a school uniform motif. Those poor girls got mauled by a group called the Dark Moon Battalion out past the Taurian Concordat.  But he had never seen a pink mech with what appeared to be a pink pony painted on it. "Where did this group of mercs come from?" After stroking his beard after asking the question, Old Bob laughed. "Even the Canopians Mechs have more testerone than this mech."

His young eager assitant ran up ruffling through several pieces of paper. "Well the Mercenary command comes from the Federated Suns." Old Bob shook his head. "They don't make Davions like they use to." He pulled out his acturator tuner from his gold vest. "Well, I guess Pinkie Pie and I are going to get close and friendly since we need to keep going. Did that Dragoon Contract contract through Edgar."

After the Dragoons had lost Outreach, they had to get some repairs from some dustoff from the Blakest Jihad, and Old Bob thanks to a pal of a pal was going to get some repair work from the rememnants of the Dragoons. This 'Pinkie Pie' was the last mech before the Dragoons' money started flowing into the shop.

So Old Bob pulled off the panel to start working. After opening the panel, he found something that made no sense. It was a photo, but it made no sense. The pink pony that was on the chest of the mech was in a crowd of other ponies and standing with the pilot that he had seen from afar when Edgar was finalzing the repair contract. Old Bob had seen many faked photos over the year. Most were easy to see where the photo had been manipulated. But one of the ponies had a wicker basket in its mouth. Another was wearing a hat. A HAT! Old Bob couldn't understand what he was seeing.

Old Bob started to sweat. He knew he hadn't walked in that hot sun to the shop. He pulled out of the panel a bit shakened. "Edgar, I don't ask question of most of my clients, but I think you need to call my daughter to finish work on this mech." Edgar shyed. "Bob, Tabitha has the day off." Bob looked up at Edgar. "I don't care. Tell her that daddy is retiring." That shocked Edgar who immediately went back to the office to call Tabitha. Old Bob just sat back wishing that he had a stiff drink at the moment. He looked up at 'Pinkie Pie'. "I've seen men killed by the millions, Jihads, Crusades, and even tales of horrible monsters in the Periphery. I've seen a man's flesh burned off right next to me when I was in the Fourth Succession War." Muttering under his breath, Bob mumbled, "Damn Panther." And then he pointed at Pinkie Pie. "But I draw the line at colorful ponies wearing hats somewhere in the universe. That's the last straw."

(With all apologies, the idea just popped into my head.)

Prillotashekta

• Master Sergeant
  • Whee!
« Reply #114 on: 21 August 2011, 04:01:52 »
Thread Necromancy! Yet Again!

Stumbled across this: BattleTech is Magic

Someone ponified the opening to the old BattleTech animated series.
Starring Twilight Sparkle as Maj. Adam Steiner.
-Charles Darwin

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #115 on: 21 August 2011, 04:06:41 »
Wow..that was actually kind of good.....

How do I step away from myself for finding that amusing, anyway?
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #116 on: 21 August 2011, 12:14:04 »
Thread Necromancy! Yet Again!

Stumbled across this: BattleTech is Magic

Someone ponified the opening to the old BattleTech animated series.
Starring Twilight Sparkle as Maj. Adam Steiner.

That might actually be better than the original Battletech cartoon...

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #117 on: 22 August 2011, 12:29:36 »
Wow..that was actually kind of good.....

How do I step away from myself for finding that amusing, anyway?
We are the Bronies. Your cultural references WILL be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
The Herd is waiting.

Oh, and we have confirmation of the next season! *happy*

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #118 on: 22 August 2011, 13:00:09 »
September 17! :D
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Prillotashekta

• Master Sergeant
  • Whee!
« Reply #119 on: 22 August 2011, 13:11:40 »
Which really surprised me, as I wasn't expecting the season to start until October at the earliest.
-Charles Darwin