Author Topic: The Inner Spere in Flames  (Read 14875 times)

epic

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Re: The Inner Spere in Flames
« Reply #30 on: 06 March 2013, 14:09:05 »
I finally got a chance to take a look at this last night.  Very interesting! 

I do wonder - and mean no offence by this - whether the map would be better served if you could incorporate the code used by mekhq currently for all their mapping. 

Regardless, my compliments on this fine work so far.  I'm looking forward to seeing more on this in the future.  I know that I have a hankering to use this in entirety, and it may prove extremely beneficial for my own purposes. 

Oddly, even though my laptop and my desktop pc have the same java version, the laptop won't run the batch file successfully.  Haven't done a deep dive to figure out why yet. 

Dave
Agent # 703

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #31 on: 06 March 2013, 14:25:28 »
I for one appreciate the use of a *.csv file for all the planetary and military data.  It has allowed me to setup my own AU setting for use with the ISiF rules.

So the remaining items on my wish list are the research aspects, intelligence actions, and actual multi-player capability over a LAN or even Internet.

luksm23

• Recruit
Game Fails to open
« Reply #32 on: 23 March 2013, 13:15:00 »
For the life of me I cannot get this game to run on my machine.  I am running windows 7, I unzipped the file and tried to run the batch file and a window pops up but disapears too quickly for me to read a thing. Any ideas/instructions out there that might actually let me play the game?  Oh, and for some strange reason, I can get the game (at least part of it) to come up in my winrar program...whats up with that?

Al9000

• Recruit
« Reply #33 on: 25 March 2013, 16:07:16 »
Check to see if you have Java installed on your machine.
If you don't have Java installed, the batch script will just run in a command prompt window and die.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #34 on: 25 March 2013, 18:09:21 »
Looks very promising! O0

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #35 on: 25 March 2013, 19:24:57 »
Lately, Java beening wiped from Windows programs.  Because of the security threat. It possible your could have been removed or didn't come with it.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Thatguybil

• Warrant Officer
Re: Game Fails to open
« Reply #36 on: 25 March 2013, 20:42:18 »
For the life of me I cannot get this game to run on my machine.  I am running windows 7, I unzipped the file and tried to run the batch file and a window pops up but disapears too quickly for me to read a thing. Any ideas/instructions out there that might actually let me play the game?  Oh, and for some strange reason, I can get the game (at least part of it) to come up in my winrar program...whats up with that?

Same thing happens to me.
I do have Java installed as I run the mega MekHQ JAR all the time.

luksm23

• Recruit
« Reply #37 on: 27 March 2013, 10:01:36 »
I finally got it to work after checking out the windows forums.  Apparently, in windows 7, some batch files will not run unless you open your command prompt /as administrator/ (I've tried running the program opening CMD normally and it does not work. SO I was able to play the game and I must say it has a /lot/ of potential.  I am having some issiues with saving my games but I do not mind.  I think that something interesting to see would be a way to look at individual unit TO&E's (Table of Organization and Equipment)  just to add some depth into the game and give a newbie player to BF and ISIF a sense of just how Large a RCT really is. The points do not convey to the laymen, what the units are made of and how they would fight.  I would also like to see the various plants making specific mechs and I suppose the only way to do this would be to read up on the Technical Readouts.  Lets see, what else...Ah!  Perhaps there should be a time limit, curtailing how many turns you can actually produce battlemchs.  I'm just spitballing here, but maybe this could be served by each faction can spend 15 turns every 150 turns to building battlemch btns.  Maybe some of the factories only produce tanks?  Maybe some only produce aerospace fighters, or Light Mechs, etc, etc.  Having the mech factories work like this would be keeping more with Canon and would make these specific factories bigger targets than they already are. (For instance, I'm house Kurita and I want to deprive the FRR it's ability to make medium battlemechs on such and such a planet, so I launch a major attack to capture and/or destroy the factilities there.  I wish there was a way to play mulitplayer as most of my gamer freinds do not like to play BF or anything Battle tech related that has anything to do with unit actions bigger than a Lance.  Kudos, though to the creator of this game.  I have been looking for something like this since 1995 at least.  I can only hope that more updates are released in the future, and if any help is needed on this project, I would love to contribute.  It is good to see all of you like minded people out there that enjoy BT on a Strategic level. Keep on keeping on, lol

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #38 on: 27 March 2013, 13:10:04 »
Too much detail for this level of game can seriously bog it down.  Hell as it stands this game does two things for me:

1: Confirm that this ruleset was never really complete in the first place.

2: As incomplete as it was it is still so complex that not having something like this game makes for a massive headache.

To that end I freely offer my gratitude to the developer and hope they can improve the game further.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
Re: Game Fails to open
« Reply #39 on: 30 March 2013, 07:48:45 »
Same thing happens to me.
I do have Java installed as I run the mega MekHQ JAR all the time.

Same thing here. Java is installed - I´m running MekHQ as well - but I only get a window to pop up very briefly.

Right-clicking and selecting "Run as admin" doesn´t make a difference. "Run program as admin" in the properties menu is grayed out.

Any idea what I can do?
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #40 on: 30 March 2013, 12:18:56 »
I had it happen to me, and IIRC the solution is to delete and then reinstall Java.  If you run the program from a command line window you'll catch the error message and can use that to get the solution for sure.

Al9000

• Recruit
« Reply #41 on: 30 May 2013, 22:35:57 »
This is just my musing but I am thinking I will need to change some of the rules to better balance the game.

1. ASF: I agree that aerospace fighters are too strong and should probably have a power of 1/4 * air rating when doing ground attack.  In effect their power should be reduced by a factor of 8.
2. Garrisons:  When you establish a garrison for 3 points, you should get a small unit of infantry and light armor worth maybe 80 ground points with 20 air points and 1 supply point.  It would then grow to 250 ground and 50 air at 5% per turn.  Supply point should also accrue at 5% until there are 3 points and no more.
3.  Garrisons should not be allowed to retreat.  They should fight until destroyed or they surrender.
I think it makes sense that garrisons would not have organic transport assets.
4.  Defender needs to be stronger.  I am thinking the defender should be considered dug in by default at no cost.  The protection from being dug in should be worth more.  Something like 40%.
A corollary is that fortifications would have to be less effective at absorbing damage.
I believe the defender should have a strong advantage considering how long some of the canon powers have hung on through long wars.
5. Dig In:  I am thinking that I should get rid of dig in orders altogether.  It costs too much and and fortifications are more effective.
6. Repair orders and reinforcements: One of the weird things I have encountered is that reinforcements can be too plentiful and too easy to move to the front.  At this point, they move for free.  This does not make sense and is unbalanced.  A unit cost transport points to move and can move at most 4 to 6 jumps per turn while huge amounts of reinforcements can be moved from the factory to the repairing unit for free.  Solution:  I am thinking of keeping track of the factory of origin for each reinforcement in the pool.  That way, the program could calculate a 'travel cost' for the reinforcement to reach a frontline unit.

If people know about other balance problems in the game, your ideas and suggestions are welcome.
Thank you.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #42 on: 30 May 2013, 23:17:19 »
I look forward to your next release.

jfh

• Recruit
« Reply #43 on: 22 June 2013, 15:27:30 »
Hey, looks interesting to me.

Noticed an annoying Bug with the Spreadsheet Saveing. The Reservepool doesn't get inserted and when you load from a Spreadsheet-Save you start off with Turn 0.

You mentioned that your busy with work, learning a new Programming Language, but is there a Timeline in which you could fix those 2 annoying Bugs? Or Release the Sourcecode so that i can take a look?

Al9000

• Recruit
« Reply #44 on: 23 June 2013, 12:07:58 »
I have some time this afternoon.  I will get right on it.

Al9000

• Recruit
« Reply #45 on: 23 June 2013, 13:26:27 »
I have posted the source code on GitHub at

https://github.com/Alain10/ISIF_Source_Code/

I will be working on the bugs that have been raised in this thread later this evening.

jfh

• Recruit
« Reply #46 on: 28 June 2013, 04:41:46 »
Thanks for the source code, managed to fix the csv issues.

Ruud

• Sergeant
    • PDX Classic Battletech
« Reply #47 on: 25 July 2013, 14:55:28 »
Just noticed this.  I'm interested to go and have a look at it (when i get a quiet night to do so).
3025 is my kind of old school

OHMS, Portland OR
https://ipms-oregon.org/about-us

Ruud

• Sergeant
    • PDX Classic Battletech
« Reply #48 on: 28 July 2013, 21:57:07 »
Played some turns.  I like it.

Are there ways to work on production and repairs?  Or is that all in the planning for the future?

I'm trying to "repair" but i can't get the reinforcement units to move over... am i doing something wrong?
« Last Edit: 28 July 2013, 22:16:40 by Ruud »
3025 is my kind of old school

OHMS, Portland OR
https://ipms-oregon.org/about-us

Ironpaw

• Recruit
« Reply #49 on: 10 August 2013, 13:36:50 »
This is pretty awesome - thanks for your hard work.     I moved around a few turns and did some combat, very cool.   

I noticed I didn't seem to be able to make factory's
I also noticed the production didn't produce - but the establish garrison worked great.
The production working would be a huge plus, and then of course some way to play multi-player would propel this to the next level,.

Salute 

kaliyama

• Sergeant
« Reply #50 on: 13 August 2013, 11:46:50 »
[deleted]
« Last Edit: 30 March 2014, 19:30:43 by kaliyama »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #51 on: 13 August 2013, 15:30:01 »
Just a friendly warning.  Microsoft controls all the electronic rights for Battletech.  As such the topic of money and computer programs should best be avoided for projects like this since that is a good way to get Microsoft to pay not kind attention to these sorts of projects.

Register