Author Topic: Changing initiative  (Read 1344 times)

majesticmoose

• Warrant Officer
Changing initiative
« on: 12 April 2013, 09:32:21 »
I've been playing BTech for a long time, and one of the things that has been... a little less exciting to me is the initiative system as it relates to the weapons phase.

I understand why all weapon exchanges occur at the same time, but I was thinking of trying out alternative wepaons phase initiative where you trade off units to fire and the damage effects are resolved before the next unit fires.

I know some of the impacts this will have on the game, but I'm curious if players have tried this and what they've noticed, flaws, abuses, and if they went back to standard, why?

Also, does anyone use the rules contained in TW/SO to attack out of sequence?  I think it's opportunity fire, and some sort of VTOL pop up shot, and maybe one other.  Do people use those to get the edge on teh weapons phase often?

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
Re: Changing initiative
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2013, 16:27:00 »
We use a very different initiative system.

1. unit rolls individual initiative.

2. Highest initiative moves first and shoots first. This is done as one phase.

3. Damage is done as firing happens and take effect immediately.

4. If you do not wish to take your turn at the time of your initiative, you can hold your action. It can be taken after anyone else's action.

5. if you move but don't fire you can hold your fire until later in the turn. You can take your fire action after any other unit has finished their action.

We've found that this system really speeds up the game, in fact more than anything else.

- Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

majesticmoose

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2013, 16:32:06 »
*snip*
   - Shane

With that system, do you find that initiative becomes overvalued?

One possible issue I see with your system is that random luck can brutally blindside a force with a couple unlucky rolls.  Has this been an issue for you?

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2013, 17:18:29 »
Not so far. With every unit rolling initiative you'd have to get an awful lot of bad rolls for luck to totally pooch one side, and next turn you roll again. Also, having seeing where the winner moves to mitigates some of the sting. You can still play tactically if you lose, you just have to play differently.

Funny thing is, this is a similar system to most RPG's - including the Tactical Integration from AToW. Any bonus to initiative does affect things more though.

- Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.