Author Topic: Innersphere vs Clans  (Read 3202 times)

ajac

• Private
Innersphere vs Clans
« on: 20 April 2020, 11:40:23 »
What if  The clans united and fought a united Inner sphere on ONE planet for domination? Whats the total size of both armies? Who would win?  Time periods 3025, 3049, 3060 and 3145. Inner sphere has numbers and resources vs clan technology and  better warriors on average.

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Innersphere vs Clans
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2020, 13:28:45 »
Something like an even bigger Battle of Tukayyid or The Great Refusal?  The IS won both times by the skin of their teeth. 

However, like mentioned many times before (in discussion and AU threads) if the Clans fought smart with Warships, laid supplies out for a long campaign, and listened to the Star Adder's tactical advice the IS wouldn't stand a chance.  The advanced weapon tech, fast omnimech repair and refit times, increased mobility of their units particularly with super fast strikers like the Ice Hellions and Hell's Horses, and suicidal ferocity of Viper, Jaguar, and Falcon Warriors would slice through RCTs like a hot knife through butter.

In a ground fight I don't think the Star Adders would stop until they found the Focht bunker or eliminated the Successor Lords or their Generals.  You would also have a hell of a time getting the Successor States to fight as a unified unit and the same would be true of the Clans, all of them have too much distrust of the others.  It would be an interesting fanfic (one super long battle scene) though.

massey

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2020, 13:43:52 »
The Inner Sphere has a numbers advantage, but they've also got a transportation shortage.  Yeah, you've got Successor States with over a trillion people, that's theoretically a massive army.  But you can't get them anywhere.  Hence the Inner Sphere's traditionally very low level of mobilization.

Shiro15

• Corporal
  • Kentares shot first....
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2020, 13:52:16 »
If the IS would play by the (Clan) rules - they will lose - no matter what time period.

But if the IS would go with a self destruct tactic - they would surely win. The destruction of the whole planet by mass destruction weapons like nuclear weapons would cause losses which the IS could compensate because of their huge numbers of planets.
The Clans would not be able to replace these losses. No prisoners, no survicors, no bondsmen - this all would make it impossible for the Clans to raise a new army which could withstand the IS.

Their Warships could run amok after this - damaging some of the IS planets, but at the end even these huge warships would be hunted down. Just look what the Azami did in retaliation against the Kirishima-class cruiser Siriwan, which they destroyed by using peacemaker nuclear missiles.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2020, 15:04:36 »
A self destructive IS would get what it was hoping for if the Warships show up.  The Clans absolutely could recover if they destroyed jumpships and factories on their way back the homeworks. 

The IS would have to invade the homeworks to stop the (tens of) thousands of Warriors ready to go in the Sibko system already from finishing their training.  They would loosen standards, ramp up production, call a pause to interClan Trials, and maximize the Iron Wombs for a few years before coming for wave 2.  The Clans unlike the IS have the skills to build more transports in number.

The cataclysmic loss of their ruling Warrior Caste might fundamentally change the culture but the next Caste down, The Scientists would be liberated to pursue their plans with impunity.  You would see a huge upgrade in Clan tech (possibly up to and including Caspars) without the Warriors and their confining Way.

The IS never would if the above happened, I expect that if the IS lost that many soldiers it would suffer an irreversible balkanization and Civil War as each planet and region refused to support the Successor Lords and make their own deal with the Clans (or COMSTAR on behalf of them) for leniency after the biggest factories and capital worlds were razed.

Something that is regularly and criminally overlooked is that each Successor State is reliant on a dozen key world's in their territory.  If the Clans hit half of them that State is crippled possibly forever without immediate aid.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2020, 16:05:15 »
https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/130229-how-many-mechs/

According to this website here are the total number of House Battlemech Regiments in the inner sphere

3028-293 Regiments
3039- 320 Regiments
3050- 367 Regiments
According to one source there should be around 5X the number of armor regiments and 10X the number of infantry regiments (source: Imminent Crises page 32) not to mention all the mercenary commands that are not considered House Regiments.
« Last Edit: 21 April 2020, 08:26:22 by CJC070 »

Shiro15

• Corporal
  • Kentares shot first....
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2020, 17:16:47 »
The fate of Clan Smoke Jaguar shows that even this mighty clan was not able to compensate their losses in the Inner Sphere during Operation Bulldog. The few surviving units limped back to their homeworld - only to face again IS units and in the final battle IlKhan Lincoln Osis could only field 9 OmniMech Points and an Elemental Point against Victor Davions 10th Lyran Guards.

The Clans are perfectly built to fight like knights within their warrior rules. But if the enemy engages assymetric warfare tactics they will lose.
So if in the theoretical scenario they are lured to this one system for the ultimate battle and then be eliminated by a suicide tactic (like blowing up the whole system including the sacrificing IS-units) then they will share the fate of the Smoke Jaguars.

Their surviving Warships may be successful in hitting 1 or 2 systems per ship, but then they also will be nuked down. Shown in a very impressive way by the Azami against the Siriwan. The Inner Sphere can survive this barbarism - as it did before in the Succession Wars. But the ressources of the Clan Worlds will not allow to compensate the loss of a complete warrior generation including their frontline equipment.

But again: There will be never a unified IS nor unified Clans. At the end they all behave like humans and fight each other...

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #7 on: 20 April 2020, 21:51:19 »
What if  The clans united and fought a united Inner sphere on ONE planet for domination? Whats the total size of both armies? Who would win?  Time periods 3025, 3049, 3060 and 3145. Inner sphere has numbers and resources vs clan technology and  better warriors on average.

Using the 20-Year Update, I ran through the numbers in terms of battlemechs here for the 3049 time period:

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=63755.msg1470999#msg1470999

Short answer is that the Inner Sphere’s entire inventory of mechs would probably be wiped out by the Clans’ entire inventory of mechs, assuming that the Clanners can destroy two or three Spheroid mechs for every mech that the Clanners lose.

This says nothing about relative production, which is often more important to winning wars than army size and which we really know nothing about.  It’s possible that the Clans can far outproduce the Inner Sphere in terms of mechs and other war material or vice-versa in any particular time period.

It also says nothing about civilian populations.  If we assume that a significant fraction of Spheroid civilians are not sheeple, it’s hard to believe that the Clans could control or convert the entire population of the Inner Sphere given the Clans’ much, much smaller total population.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

ajac

• Private
« Reply #8 on: 21 April 2020, 12:46:11 »
Man would be MASSIVE battle for sure. I wonder.. even with the innersphere technology and manufacturing issues they seem to be able to create new combat formations easily. Sadly in the end the clans would loose. Even if they won on the battlefield keeping trillions of people in shape I dont see happening and eventually a Rebellion will happen and the clans would be defeated at some point. Now what if a united Innersphere 3145 tech vs the clans?

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 21 April 2020, 13:46:23 »
I think we are missing a crucial point.  The Clans didnt need to invade the whole of the IS, most world's are useless to them composed primarily of Labor and Merchant Caste.  They need fewer than 60 planets and Terra to have all the power.

Not even the Succession Lords control their territory by occupation, they control it by association with their Dukes/Warlords. 

If the Clans humble the Top 5 families they can cut a deal with their Dukes to do all the controlling for them.  All that would take is a quick look in the Scorpion Archives to see who and where is important.  Control those jump points and you don't even have to invade the planet to control it

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 21 April 2020, 16:30:27 »
Everyone should actually read the OP so they can address the actual question instead of immediately talking about all manner of irrelevant minutiae.

That said, we saw what happened when one Inner Sphere faction in 3052 took on the bulk of six Clans and parts of a seventh in one massive battle.  It ended 5-1-1 in ComStar's favor.  That represented the absolute apex of the four strongest Clans at the time and elements of the next strongest three, totalling 25 Galaxies arrayed against 144 Regiments.

The rest of the Inner Sphere has 2.5x that to spare in Mechs alone, arguably of higher skill than the largely Green ComGuard.  The rest of the Clans do not have 75 Front-line Galaxies, and probably don't have that many total Galaxies. The weight of numbers would be well and truly insurmountable if massed in one place.

Tukayyid involved over 100,000 units (Mechs, tanks, infantry platoons, Elemental points, etc.), expanded to the rest of the Clans/IS you're probably looking at close to a million units in BattleTech terms, the Clans representing less than 10% of that.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #11 on: 21 April 2020, 18:46:06 »
Pretty much what Scotty said.

The clans have ONE advantage.

ONE.

Warships.           (Ok, Tech Level & Access to BA too, but those are small potatoes that amplify raw ground power but that's it)

In every other single factor, they are completely outclassed.

The only reasons the clans had success is they were an unknown invader hitting worlds that were not expecting them and doing so from star charts dating back to the SLDF.

The IS even in 3025 scavenger tech era has a population & industrial base that is so massive compared to the paltry clan home worlds that its not even worth considering.

When you say, 1 Clan Mech v/s 2 IS 3025 Mechs, if that is even close to ratio, it sounds like a maybe.

When you say 1 Clan Mech + 5 Elementals  v/s  2 IS Mechs + 10 IS Tanks + 2 Infantry Companies........... yeah, that is no longer a contest, that is a steam roll.

The SLDF had the forces of 2 Houses last I checked, and then decommissioned 80% of it in the Pentagon which lead to the revolt.

I don't think the Clans of 3050 are anything close to how large the SLDF was at Exodus.

If Tukkayid isn't enough of an example, look at Luthien to see a raw rumble at close range.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 21 April 2020, 22:33:04 »
When the developers came along and gave us solid (and amazingly low) numbers for the clan populations, it ruined them as a credible threat.  Such is the nature of writing and story evolution there were as many Clanners as needed to tell the story, and we ended up with a clan invasion that amounts to Spokane, Washington (albeit a very well armed Spokane) declaring war on, say, Asia.

In terms of relative population, the Inner Sphere wouldnt even -notice- a clan invasion, on average.  If fought back in a total war fashion, it would be a trivial exercise.  If it didnt (and likely wouldnt, total war not being a thing post the early succession wars) then the Clans use their Warships and Supertech to change the name on the coinage on the ‘important’ planets, and the vast majority of humanity never notices.  3 or 5 generations later, the Clanners are largely absorbed by the Inner Sphere, barring some hardcore military cultists (again quite reasonable.  The BTech Verse is much in love with its Cult of the Mechwarrior, and the Clans are that dialed up to 12.

The Clans are really a great threat to the ‘Knights in Shining Robots’ of the Battledroids era in terms of theme and their stompy steamroll making sense - its the Mongol Invasion.  They are a thematic discontinuity when their warrior culture code duello ethos goes up against a soldier culture/deep battle/soviet operational art combined arms culture.  I think some of the problem with the Clans is that they were being developed from roots in Battledroids in paralell with the idea of getting the Inner Sphere Armies to start acting like ‘real militaries’, and cognitive dissonance ensued.

massey

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 22 April 2020, 00:11:16 »
Yeah, the real problem is the very recent decision to give the Clans smaller populations than modern day countries.  Clan Jade Falcon is supposed to have about 115 million people, which is smaller than the Southeastern United States.

We should basically just ignore those numbers as being junk.  They don't fit in with what we know to be true about the Clans.  Jaime Wolf, himself from Clan space, took them very seriously as a threat.  He called all the Inner Sphere leaders together and told them if they didn't pull their heads out of their asses, they'd all be speaking Clan English in a few years, Quiaff?

Clan population numbers should have remained as vague as Inner Sphere population numbers.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 22 April 2020, 00:25:38 »
When the developers came along and gave us solid (and amazingly low) numbers for the clan populations, it ruined them as a credible threat. 

Were they really that low though?   (I honestly don't recall how many went on the Exodus)   EDIT: Found it on Sarna see next post.  6 Mil

I mean, we aren't talking about millennia of evolution on a dream planet.

We are talking about the # of people they could fit in a fleet.  (IE.  Battlestar Galactica)

The Pentagon are NOT nice worlds.
They stopped there because they were marginally habitable & there was fear of another Prince Eugen.

Then they shot the crap out of each other in revolt and killed off a good chunk of the population.

So by the time Nikky comes back w/ Klondike, its a mad max world out there with minimal numbers.

The Kerensky cluster worlds are nicer but I don't think any of them is a "Terra" or "New Avalon" in quality.

At which point we then finally have some population building going on.
But it was only 2 centuries.
I'm not expecting a massive growth spurt even in ideal conditions let alone in the clan "let them die if they aren't productive society".

« Last Edit: 22 April 2020, 00:29:55 by Hellraiser »

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 22 April 2020, 00:28:52 »
Yeah, the real problem is the very recent decision to give the Clans smaller populations than modern day countries.  Clan Jade Falcon is supposed to have about 115 million people, which is smaller than the Southeastern United States.

We should basically just ignore those numbers as being junk.  They don't fit in with what we know to be true about the Clans.  Jaime Wolf, himself from Clan space, took them very seriously as a threat.  He called all the Inner Sphere leaders together and told them if they didn't pull their heads out of their asses, they'd all be speaking Clan English in a few years, Quiaff?

Clan population numbers should have remained as vague as Inner Sphere population numbers.

IS Population #s have never been vague have they?
The 1980 house books gave populations of worlds in their atlas listings.

Assuming Sarna is correct w/ this following.....
At the end of the civil war only 113 Divisions of the SLDF remained.[4] Of these units over a hundred agreed to follow Kerensky: thirty-two BattleMech divisions, seventy-six infantry divisions, and sixty-three independent regiments. A total of nearly six million personnel, a third of which were soldiers and the rest civilians, were carried in 1,349 JumpShips, 402 WarShips and over 5,000 DropShips.[9][13]

Strana Mechty has a population of 136 Million.

How high do you feel it should be when the exodus fleet only had 6 million in it & was then in a civil war?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 22 April 2020, 01:35:50 »
Thinking about things in terms of raw population is spectacularly missing the point.  Clan Jade Falcon is 115 million people who are geared, much like most other Clans, to the singular expression of combat on a societal scale.  The rest of the Inner Sphere is emphatically not.  What they were not particularly well geared to is warfare, but that's not how they approach combat, and during the initial years of the Clan Invasion they had the strategic mobility and surprise to fight on their own terms 100% of the time.  When this became no longer true the paradigm of the Clan understanding of combat had to change with it or be destroyed (hello, Clan Smoke Jaguar).

That said, the reason that the Clan Invasion was still meaningfully threatening despite low real numbers is the same reason that in a game of Risk, 10 armies in Indonesia is significantly threatening to the player who controls all of Asia with exactly one army per territory.  It's not physically possible for all of the (superior) military might to be massed in one place, and even if there were reserves or extra armies, spreading oneself dangerously thin with your backs to The Federated Suns the player in Europe is asking to get your ass beat.  Which is honestly a pretty good analogy here, since the OP is basically asking "what if the 35 armies I had in Indonesia went up against every other player on the board at once in one territory?" and the answer is that you lose.  Badly.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 22 April 2020, 20:50:16 »

I don’t think folks have mentioned the possible impact of iron wombs and warrior caste washouts on overall Clan population figures.  The Clans could have far outstripped even the highest birthrates in the Inner Sphere for the past couple centuries with that technology.

That said, just comparing numbers of planets and the population figures that we do have, the Clans appear to be swamped demographically.

You can gear a society for war.  Some archeologists argue that the Norse were just such a society, for example. 

But the Vikings were still vastly outnumbered by Slavs they ruled in proto-Russia/Ukraine, the Anglo-Saxons they conquered in Britain, and the Celts they subjugated in Ireland.  Within a couple generations, their grandchildren bore names from the languages of those peoples, not Scandinavian names.

If/when the Clans try to run the entire Inner Sphere, I imagine their culture will be absorbed like one dot of red paint in a vast sea of blue.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 22 April 2020, 21:01:57 »
I don’t think folks have mentioned the possible impact of iron wombs and warrior caste washouts on overall Clan population figures.  The Clans could have far outstripped even the highest birthrates in the Inner Sphere for the past couple centuries with that technology.

Could have in a lab sure.  I totally agree.

However they have to be able to feed them and from what I've read only 2 worlds were self sufficient in the entire clan Homeworlds.
York & Vinton.
Every other world needed help from somewhere else just to keep things going.
Think about that, even the capital, Strana Mechty, needed imports from other worlds, they didn't produce everything they needed or have enough resources or something.
That right there should give an idea of just how unpleasant life was on a lot of clan worlds.

2.  The entire nature of mass production of lab babies is against clan warrior culture.
They want to see how a generation turns out before they start spitting out more from those gene parents.
That's why they say 5 years.  By 5 they can at least see "kindergarten/basic motor skills" as well as things like genetic defects.
From there they decide if they want to use those parents again.

The IS worlds were like paradises to the Clanners when they showed up in 3050, that has been documented and after reading about ONLY Vinton & York being fully self sufficient, it gave me a new outlook on just how bad things were there even in the Kerensky cluster, and it was light years better than the Pentagon.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 22 April 2020, 23:40:52 »
However they have to be able to feed them and from what I've read only 2 worlds were self sufficient in the entire clan Homeworlds.

But that may be due to explosive population growth driven by the iron wombs and warrior washouts.

I agree that the canon describes the Homeworlds as resource poor.  But poverty is relative.  The Homeworlds may have been rich for a population growing geometrically but not for a population growing exponentially.

I’m not saying that the canon confirms that but it’s a possibility.

That's why they say 5 years.  By 5 they can at least see "kindergarten/basic motor skills" as well as things like genetic defects.
From there they decide if they want to use those parents again.

Oh, sure.  But that doesn’t slow anything down.  Artificially creating new generations on five year centers is still at least four times faster than natural reproduction at about 20 years or so between generations.  Even setting aside the number of iron wombs used each generation, populations of Clan warriors and washouts will grow at least four times faster than Spheroid and non-warrior caste Clan populations.

massey

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 23 April 2020, 10:15:11 »
You don't even need iron wombs.  The thing about the Clans is that you can artificially set your population numbers at whatever you want, and justify it pretty easily.  300 years is enough time, particularly with a crazy dystopian social structure, that you could have massive population growth without a problem.

In real life, more technology and higher standards of living tend to lower birth rates.  You can afford to live in a bigger house and buy that 80" TV when you aren't paying for a bunch of kids.  Women tend to delay having kids, and have fewer kids, when they have more education and job opportunities.  But... that may well be situation specific to our modern societies.  Change a few factors, and everything could be different.

In the Stephen King book The Stand, a super-plague wipes out 99% of the people on Earth.  Everybody is gone, but all of our stuff is still laying around, just waiting for somebody to come along and use it.  In a situation like that, if you want to increase your standard of living, you need to breed.  You need a larger population so you can have people to operate the machines.  You need oil field workers, you need people trained in repairing old equipment, you need manpower.  Your standard of living will skyrocket once you get the old stuff back online.

The Clans are kind of in a similar situation.  They arrive on uninhabited worlds, the first thing they need to do is grow their population so they can establish industry.  They don't have a planet's worth of equipment laying around, but they did bring a lot of technology with them and they understand how to produce more.  The Clans have a culture that places extreme value on being useful to the group, and very little value on your personal desires (unless you're a warrior).  There's a big advantage to the Clan in having a large population.  You think they wouldn't tell labor caste women that their job was to pop out kids?  Your kid will probably be raised in some big group home anyway, so it's not like you even have to raise them yourself.

Right now, Africa's population is projected to grow at 2.3% a year until 2050.  That's just natural, not some oppressive space government trying to force higher growth.  I've been playing with a population growth calculator ( http://www.metamorphosisalpha.com/ias/population.php ).  At 2.3% for 300 years, the 6 million people the SLDF took to the Clan Homeworlds would become 5.5 billion.  Bump it up to 2.5% for 300 years, and you get almost 9.8 billion.  At 3% growth, it's 42 billion.  At 4% growth, it's 773 billion.  At 5%... you get a population of 13 trillion people.

You think the Clans can't grow faster on purpose than Africa is doing by accident?

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 23 April 2020, 12:23:38 »
If we change our starting assumptions to change the clan populations, we can get results that feel a lot more like 3050 and the original trilogy of novels.

I still maintain the biggest problem is thematic.  The Clans were written as a Mongol Invasion to fight against the Battledroids Era Space Knights in their Grandfathers Battlemech Europe.  This was a great theme.  But by the time they were pulling trigger on it, wed gone through the 4SW, the resurgent inner sphere economy, doctrine changes and 'real' militaries acting like soliders and not warriors, so we were left with, thematically, a Mongol Warrior Culture meets Late-WW2 Soviet Military Art.

The outcome of which is at odds with what the developers wrote.  Radically at odds.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #22 on: 23 April 2020, 12:56:01 »
For Tukayyid 2.0 . . . well, none of the Clans that were present brought their full toumans either, or in some cases even the complete galaxies.  Consider also who was left in the Homeworlds and their early descriptions . . . the Star Adders were out b/c of a more realistic bid, while we never get a real strength for the Spirits- how many clusters did they 'disband' since they were not full after the Burrock mis-step?- and then you have the Coyotes though before Koga's reforms their touman strength was paper tiger-ish at the time.  Finally, when everyone thinks about the touman they always look at the warships as single entries.  In a lot of cases, like the break down I did of the McKenna class, you can end up with at least a mixed cluster of Elementals & Aeros assigned marine/naval duties . . .

The biggest problems with a IS vs Clans are in neither case related to their military equipment, its about the personalities/egos involved.  Whichever side can manage/subsume that factor will have the advantage.  ComStar won because of a single commander- the Clans lost because they had 14 commanders, and only 2 were on the same page.  Hint, the 2 on the same page were the Clan that won.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #23 on: 23 April 2020, 21:03:42 »
Okay, here's another reason why the Clans would lose- their mechs, especially at that time, were overwhelmingly designed to fight a single fight with another single mech, then go back to base to repair and reload.  They can barely handle battles that last for a few hours.  A conflict this size would last for months, and by day three they'd have probably shot themselves completely out of ammunition because the average Clan mechwarrior doesn't understand that techs do not produce ammo by going into the back room and conjuring it with an incantation.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 23 April 2020, 22:17:03 »
At 2.3% for 300 years, the 6 million people the SLDF took to the Clan Homeworlds would become 5.5 billion.  Bump it up to 2.5% for 300 years, and you get almost 9.8 billion.  At 3% growth, it's 42 billion.  At 4% growth, it's 773 billion.  At 5%... you get a population of 13 trillion people.

You think the Clans can't grow faster on purpose than Africa is doing by accident?

What I think is that your figures are way off from the start.  ;)

1.  The Pentagon Civil War killed off 2/3 of the population according to the population stats from 2800 to 2821
2.  The 2nd Exodus only took "Thousands" of people with them to Strana Mechty.  Not Millions.  Thousands.
3.  There is only 230-ish Years time from Klondike to Revival.

What do your figures look like when its 2 Million starting  (Not 6)  and you only grow for 230 Years?

I think Strana Mechty going from "thousands" to 136 Million in 3060 is solid growth when the world is supposed to be no where near as fruitful as Terra.

Africa might be heaven compared to the Clan Homeworlds.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #25 on: 24 April 2020, 01:18:37 »
And the other major consideration with the Homeworlds is that Clan society actively discourages people from investing in new resources.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 10 May 2020, 18:42:11 »
1.  The Pentagon Civil War killed off 2/3 of the population according to the population stats from 2800 to 2821
2.  The 2nd Exodus only took "Thousands" of people with them to Strana Mechty.  Not Millions.  Thousands.
3.  There is only 230-ish Years time from Klondike to Revival.

What do your figures look like when its 2 Million starting  (Not 6)  and you only grow for 230 Years?

I think Strana Mechty going from "thousands" to 136 Million in 3060 is solid growth when the world is supposed to be no where near as fruitful as Terra.

Using this:
http://www.metamorphosisalpha.com/ias/population.php

Starting with 2 million people, for 230 years, at 2.3% growth, I got 373,616,243 people

Dropping that down to 2% resulted in a population of 190,138,253

Register