Author Topic: Ad Securitas Per Unitas: The Republic of the Sphere  (Read 126808 times)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Ad Securitas Per Unitas: The Republic of the Sphere
« Reply #870 on: 15 April 2020, 16:18:48 »
The Objectives series was also a nightmare of inaccuracies if I remember right, and a colossal headache for the developers both before and after release.

Your best bet may seriously be going planet by planet in the ROTS to compile objectives information.  It's not convenient, but the information you're looking for isn't available conveniently.
I was afraid of that. I'll scribble that to my to-do list, "take notes about planets whenever reading about one within RotS space".
Oh, well, not like what i'm asking is truly important. Was just trying to figure how common various designs might be for sake of force building. Eg if a design is listed in MUL, it must be available, but whether or not it is manufactured can be used to gauge how common it is.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #871 on: 15 April 2020, 19:48:47 »
The Objectives series was also a nightmare of inaccuracies if I remember right, and a colossal headache for the developers both before and after release.

Actually, the Objective PDFs as errata'd up on the errata section are dead on accurate, but they are a snap-shot in an entirely fluid period of time. Between the conflicts in the immediate follow-up to the Jihad & Stone's disarmament program, there's very little to establish what was still in production in 3085 from 3079, let along 3130.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #872 on: 15 April 2020, 20:46:29 »
Actually, the Objective PDFs as errata'd up on the errata section are dead on accurate, but they are a snap-shot in an entirely fluid period of time. Between the conflicts in the immediate follow-up to the Jihad & Stone's disarmament program, there's very little to establish what was still in production in 3085 from 3079, let along 3130.

I can’t tell you how much I love the Objectives series as a player who’s favourite era is post-Jihad through to the turn of the century.
I do wish we got an Objectives: Republic though...

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #873 on: 15 April 2020, 21:31:33 »
I will second that: I still get a ton of use out of those to this day. A snapshot is still better than nothing at all. (That said, I would kill for a 3145 update of the series.)

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #874 on: 15 April 2020, 21:36:43 »
RE more objectives

Quote from: GreekFire  link=topic=42332.msg1008220#msg1008220
Theoretically, wouldn't a new series of Objective books be a lot simpler to make? Your starting point would be the 3079 objectives, and from there you've got two TROs, two Field Manuals and a handful of sourcebooks to check and reference.

Quote from: HABeas2 link=topic=42332.msg1008288#msg1008288
The fact that some of the actual contributors to the research have spoken up in this thread and said they lacked interest in them kind of seals that deal. Back when I was still a freelancer, I remember once proposing it and having the devs scream at me, citing the trauma of Objective Raids. When it was considered again under my developer time, I had already explored the possibility further and concluded the time and research level was just too demanding (bear this in mind: when I was doing that, only about 15 years of game time had passed since the last OR book, and we had plenty of TROs to check through, which should have theoretically been a snap). And yet, I still opted to abandon the idea because the original OR sold poorly by all accounts I had.

It was only when a freelancer volunteered to put together a whole series in PDF form, and "subcontract" with other writers and fact-checkers to get the data together and presentable, that I felt it was worth a shot... And that freelancer burned out after completing only two of the seven PDFs we'd planned, thus slowing the release of the remainder. So, even with the much greater fact-checking capacity and writing team we had at our disposal, they proved extremely daunting.

Thus, yeah. It's doubtful we'd try that again.

they were indeed great and sadly a feat (likely) never to be repeated

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #875 on: 15 April 2020, 22:11:03 »
So when is IlClan coming out?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #876 on: 15 April 2020, 22:11:29 »
this year. allegedly.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #877 on: 16 April 2020, 06:15:23 »
So when is IlClan coming out?
It depends on how busy they are with the kickstarter. That's what held up the book in the first place. That other projects too. Now you have a pandemic going on so that's going to delay things too. I hope not! Remember cgl has a very small staff.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #878 on: 16 April 2020, 23:49:56 »
this year. allegedly.

I wouldn't be surprised  ::)

It depends on how busy they are with the kickstarter. That's what held up the book in the first place. That other projects too. Now you have a pandemic going on so that's going to delay things too. I hope not! Remember cgl has a very small staff.

I don't understand putting a massive distraction first when ilClan had already been delayed for 8 years or so.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #879 on: 17 April 2020, 00:05:53 »
what's not to understand? the kickstarter poured in millions of dollars and created massive interest in the game line. ilClan is a nice little hobby project you putter on after the kids go to bed in comparison

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #880 on: 17 April 2020, 02:18:39 »
I would think the Clan Invasion kickstarter served a couple of puposes. One, it brought in needed funds to help them complete work on other projects. Second, it rikindles interest in the Clans going into the ilClan book.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #881 on: 17 April 2020, 21:06:33 »
It's not like ilClan will need a lot of capital, if you use Shattered Fortress as a metric.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #882 on: 17 April 2020, 21:41:45 »
Republishing the Wars of Reaving is additional backing for the Clan Invasion interest and moving forward with the IlClan Era as well.'
The company setting up everything so the Clans are better understood and people are interested in them have everything going for it.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #883 on: 18 April 2020, 23:50:53 »
This is true. However, going by this route it's better that they do it together with Historical: Operation Klondike for people to really understand where the Clans came from.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #884 on: 19 April 2020, 06:46:03 »
Yes. That's true.  Operation Kodiak would be a thing have reprinted.

So won't (yet to be released) Technical Readout: Golden Century - This is since it goes into the gaps history that some historical Field Guides don't go into.  I enjoyed The Clans Warrior of Kerenseky and MechWarrior's Guide to The Clans.  Which both fill in some tidbits of info on in between years leading to the Clans sending their scout mission to Inner Sphere aka the Dragoons.  However, some things are likely missing.    Era Report: Golden Century did good job, but it was too short for me.  :D

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #885 on: 19 April 2020, 21:54:26 »
Yes, that was really short. Another product that should be promoted are the Clan-specific novels: Blood of Kerensky trilogy(Wolf), Legend of the Jade Phoenix trilogy(Jade Falcon), Twilight of The Clans+Forever Faithful(Smoke Jaguar) and Betrayal of Ideals(Wolverine).

Reading these will get fans behind each of these Clans during their most badass moments and characters. Betrayal of Ideals and Forever Faithful could both hint at ilClan events too. The Jaguars already set foot on Terra during the Jihad era while the Wolverines might return from hiding in the Magistracy or Rimward Periphery to play kingmaker.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #886 on: 07 May 2020, 14:27:33 »

This was not something I had considered, even though it is really obvious.  The Capellan OR might be the most accurate?  Or. the ome with the fewest losses from their listed sites, as the Confederatio continued war production after the Jihad.

I can’t tell you how much I love the Objectives series as a player who’s favourite era is post-Jihad through to the turn of the century.
I do wish we got an Objectives: Republic though...

There are some real gems in there that show how much the balance of power has changed.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #887 on: 08 May 2020, 04:36:39 »
I have a question, which FWL subfactions had the best relationship with the Republic?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #888 on: 08 May 2020, 06:15:24 »
Spirit Cats i would think. League was not huge fan of the Republic. Liao was head of the on the "We don't like you." List. Spirit Cats joined the League but their mostly former Republicans.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #889 on: 08 May 2020, 19:19:45 »
I have a question, which FWL subfactions had the best relationship with the Republic?

None of them, really.

The Marik-Stewart Commonwealth and Republic were effectively at war from the Republic's creation. The same conflict saw the poisoning of relations between Oriente and the Republic due to an intelligence failure.

The Republic didn't like Regulus due to their indiscriminate use of Nuclear weapons to wipe out entire worlds that may have had Blakeists on them.

Relations between the Republic and the other former FWL states were largely neutral, simply because they didn't share borders.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #890 on: 08 May 2020, 21:21:25 »

Tamarind-Abbey, maybe?
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #891 on: 09 May 2020, 00:17:29 »
Tamarind-Abbey, maybe?

Yeah, that's my call as well.
Final Reckoning calls them nominal allies, with Tamarind-Abbey being able to contribute much to their relationship due to the belligerence of the Lyrans and their general overall weakness.

The other states either don't care, or are actively hostile.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #892 on: 09 May 2020, 16:05:20 »
It might be cheating to say The Covenant Worlds, as many of them had been Republic.  Not sure Thaddeus bore the Republic much hostility, besides disillusion with the idea.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #893 on: 09 May 2020, 20:31:13 »
It is emphatically not the Covenant Worlds.  Thaddeus was a former Paladin cannibalizing his former state to build his own fiefdom; not something that would endear him to the Republic government if they'd had a good way to do anything about it.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #894 on: 09 May 2020, 21:47:01 »
Wasn't he doing so with the knowledge of the Republic government?
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #895 on: 09 May 2020, 21:49:36 »

Most of the things that were happening outside of Prefecture X were done with the knowledge of the Republic government.  I would wager that the majority of those things were not seen as beneficial.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #896 on: 10 May 2020, 07:14:47 »
It was his initial idea to establish the neighborhoods around the Republic's Prefecture X.  So in end would be easier for the resurrected Republic to reclaim them for their own campaign of reclaiming the the Republic.

He wanted preserve what was best of the Republic, but i do think he lost faith in the Republic ability to pull it's self together.  Covenant Worlds was one the key factors in resurrect the Free Worlds League.

Register