Author Topic: Spare Parts and Salvage  (Read 2919 times)

Armitage72

• Sergeant
Spare Parts and Salvage
« on: 07 December 2013, 13:24:39 »
I though of something while recently re-reading the Creating  Force Beta document.

Units require a certain amount of spare parts to keep running, beyond repairing battle damage.  In my mind, these are minor parts, like replacing spark plugs and gaskets in a car as opposed to replacing the transmission.

The question is, if you salvaged a `Mech and completely stripped it for parts, what quantity of "spare parts" would you obtain in addition to the big items (armor, heat sinks, engine shielding, etc.) that are usually salvaged?
An Archer requires 140 pounds of spare parts per month at a cost of 700 C-Bills.  If an Archer were completely stripped, how many months of spare parts could you get? 
2d6 months worth?  Maybe with a penalty to the roll based on the number of destroyed locations?

Incidentally, I don't like the rule in the Force Operation Beta document that spare parts are specific to each `Mech or vehicle, since the TROs specifically reference `Mechs that can't use the universal parts that most `Mechs use, e.g. the Clint.  You probably should be able to obtain "`Mech parts" instead of "Archer parts", "Marauder parts", etc.  I know, rules trump fluff, but anyway...

Gray Jaguar

• Lieutenant
  • Trueborn
Re: Spare Parts and Salvage
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2013, 13:39:58 »

Incidentally, I don't like the rule in the Force Operation Beta document that spare parts are specific to each `Mech or vehicle, since the TROs specifically reference `Mechs that can't use the universal parts that most `Mechs use, e.g. the Clint.  You probably should be able to obtain "`Mech parts" instead of "Archer parts", "Marauder parts", etc.  I know, rules trump fluff, but anyway...

That does seem to nerf the difficulties entailed by the Non-Standard Parts quirk.
"Manei Domini think themselves superior because of their unnatural enhancements.  I cannot wait to show them the error of their ways."
  - Star Colonel Damien Furey

"I'm going to found a mercenary outfit, all the cool kids are doing it."
 - Duchess Designate Alice Duvall

Armitage72

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2013, 16:53:51 »
I mentioned that in the Creating a Force Beta discussion thread.

"On the topic of spare parts, would a `Mech or vehicle with the Non-Standard Parts Quirk cost more to supply with spare parts, since it can't use the same generic parts as the rest of the unit?  Or does that fall into the category of a GM call... if they want to be bothered?"

Cray's response was
"I like that. I'll try to work non-standard parts (and there's an easy to repair-type quirk, right?) into the costs."

That was before the Beta version of Force Operation was released.

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 07 December 2013, 19:29:55 »
I tend to give 50% of the value of the item in spare parts, but I do go part by part instead of by 'Mech. A successful Tech roll will increase that by 5% per MOS (for when a tech realizes that a power supply for a microwave will work in a computer with some adjustments and the like). This is for functional components.

For Destroyed items - ones that cannot be repaired - I give (1D6-1)x10% of salvageable components.

- Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 09 December 2013, 06:20:21 »

Not all units have that quirk or say how compatible their parts are with others. I would also think that some parts would work better with some units than others. For an example, I don't think an Assassin's knee actuator would work on an Cicada very well but it might. There's no way it'd work on a Clint though because the bolts are threaded internally the wrong way and you need a odd size allen wrench to tighten them with. Regular English or Metric versions won't work.

Outside of quirks/fluff I would think things would depend on weight of the unit. If the price increases based on weight it isn't universally compatible with everything else. At least not without modification or problems.

Register