Author Topic: Re: Recommendations for VTOL Infantry Carriers  (Read 1653 times)

winteriscoming77

• Master Sergeant
Re: Recommendations for VTOL Infantry Carriers
« on: 25 June 2014, 18:09:10 »
What do you all think of this?

Chinook Carrier CNC-01
Rules Level:   Experimental Tech
Technology Base:   Inner Sphere
Chassis Config:   VTOL
Production Year:   0
Extinct By:   Never
Chassis:    Standard
Power Plant:    130 Fusion Engine
Cruising Speed:   97.2 km/h
Maximum Speed:   151.2 km/h
Armor:    Laser-Reflective
Armament:
     1 Small Laser
     1 Infantry Compartment (6.0 tons)
Manufacturer:   
     Primary Factory:   
Communications System:   
Targeting and Tracking System:   
Technology Base:   Inner Sphere    30.00 tons
Chassis Config:   VTOL   Cost:   1,952,500 C-Bills
BV2:   453   Tech Rating/Era Availability:   E/X-X-F
Equipment         Mass
Internal Structure:   Standard    3.00
Engine:   130   Fusion Engine    7.00
Cruise MP:   9
Flank MP:   14
Heat Sinks:   10 - Single (5 in engine)    0.00
Control Equipment:      1.5
Lift Equipment:      3.0
Armor:   144 points - Laser-Reflective    9.00

Armor
Factor
Front:      43
Left/Right:      35/35
Rotor:      2
Rear:      29

Weapons and Ammo   Location   Heat   Criticals   Tonnage
Small Laser   FR   1   1    0.50
Infantry Compartment (6.0 tons)   BD   0   6    6.00
BattleForce Statistics
MV   S (+0)   M (+2)   L (+4)   E (+6)   Wt.   OV   Armor: 4   Points: 5
9   1   0   0   0   1   0   Structure: 1   
Special Abilities: ENE

Created using Solaris Armor Werks
Downloadable here
Please check out my gaming blog at http://klecser.wordpress.com

It is not all Battletech (video games, game design, game philosophy, etc.), but has battle reports and my (inexperienced) musings about the game.

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2014, 13:02:36 »
I like it --- but I tend to do a LOT with combined arms, and logistics matter to me.
If I have infantry, on the field, I have something that shows how they got there......because you KNOW they didn't just run alongside the mech all the way to the field.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2014, 13:04:53 »
As mentioned before, too much armor by half.  Cut it by four tons, use two of them on the infantry bay to fit two full squads, and use the other two on medium lasers.

Alternately, switch to Stealth armor, cut it by five tons, use two on the infantry bay, drop the small laser, and then two medium lasers plus the requisite ECM suite.  At 9/14 you can stay at long range all day long, and a +6 at long range plus movementmodifier is nothing to sneeze at
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2014, 13:59:31 »
Not too bad of a transport VTOL, I can see it being used if there was a need to deliver cargo under fire.  Scotty's possible enhancements are not too bad, definitely worth considering but perhaps...  if I might be allowed to post one of my transport/logistics VTOLs...

Code: [Select]
MI-26 Halo
Type - VTOL
Tonnage – 30 tons

Internal Structure: 3 tons
Engine: 220  Fuel Cell 12 tons
Cruise: 12
Flank: 18
Control Equip: 1.5 tons
Lift Equipment: 3 tons
Armor 24 1.5 tons
Nose 6
Sides 5/5
Rear 6
Rotor 2

Equipment
Cargo 9 tons

Not exactly heavily armored but fast enough to get where ever it needs to be to get those 9 tons of internal cargo or 39 tons of maximum lifted equipment where ever it needs to be (though it would be a bit slower doing so).
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2014, 14:05:46 »
Note: I forgot to account for vehicular stealth needing heat sinks, so instead of two MLs, instead have three MGs and a half ton of ammo (or two, half ton, and CASE if you're paranoid).

Khymerion: I'm not entirely sure why 9 tons?  I'd drop one of the extra tons for 8 tons of bays (two squads), and use the extra for armor.  Sub-10 points per side is a good way to lose everything you're carrying in a single hit.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2014, 14:11:30 »
Note: I forgot to account for vehicular stealth needing heat sinks, so instead of two MLs, instead have three MGs and a half ton of ammo (or two, half ton, and CASE if you're paranoid).

Khymerion: I'm not entirely sure why 9 tons?  I'd drop one of the extra tons for 8 tons of bays (two squads), and use the extra for armor.  Sub-10 points per side is a good way to lose everything you're carrying in a single hit.

Well, I originally designed it mostly not as a combat infantry transport but as a logistics supply vehicle in campaign play.   I was hoping for the idea of deploying 3 foot infantry platoons into a prepared position along with 3 AC-5 field guns (transported as cargo...) ahead of an advance.   The idea ultimately was that it would serve as the backbone of the logistics arm of a defense army.  Couldn't take fire worth a damn (what supply vehicle can though?) but with that kind of speed, little is going to catch it as it races across the country side.   Alot of my custom vehicles sacrifice armor if their role dictates it as there are canon VTOLs that can fly into fire if need be but little in the way of fast heavy transport craft.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

winteriscoming77

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 26 June 2014, 17:04:17 »
Love the Stealth armor idea.

Is this better?  When I build this in SAW, it says that vehicles come with the standard 10 heat sinks for a fusion engine so I shouldn't have to have any extras if my only "heat using" equips are the Stealth Armor, correct?

Chinook Carrier CNC-02
Rules Level:   Experimental Tech
Technology Base:   Inner Sphere
Chassis Config:   VTOL
Production Year:   0
Extinct By:   Never
Chassis:    Standard
Power Plant:    160 Fusion Engine
Cruising Speed:   108.0 km/h
Maximum Speed:   162.0 km/h
Armor:    Vehicle Stealth Armor
Armament:
     2 Machine Guns
     1 Guardian ECM Suite
     1 Infantry Compartment (6.0 tons)
Manufacturer:   
     Primary Factory:   
Communications System:   
Targeting and Tracking System:   
Technology Base:   Inner Sphere    30.00 tons
Chassis Config:   VTOL   Cost:   2,195,000 C-Bills
BV2:   354   Tech Rating/Era Availability:   E/X-X-F
Equipment         Mass
Internal Structure:   Standard    3.00
Engine:   160   Fusion Engine    9.00
Cruise MP:   10
Flank MP:   15
Heat Sinks:   10 - Single (6 in engine)    0.00
Control Equipment:      1.5
Lift Equipment:      3.0
Turret:   0.5
Armor:   64 points - Vehicle Stealth Armor    4.00

Armor
Factor
Front:      19
Left/Right:      15/15
Turret:      0
Rotor:      2
Rear:      13

Weapons and Ammo   Location   Heat   Criticals   Tonnage
2 Machine Guns   T   0   2    1.00
Guardian ECM Suite   BD   0   2    1.50
Infantry Compartment (6.0 tons)   BD   0   6    6.00
@MG (1/2) (100)   BD   --   1    0.50
BattleForce Statistics
MV   S (+0)   M (+2)   L (+4)   E (+6)   Wt.   OV   Armor: 2   Points: 4
10   1   0   0   0   1   0   Structure: 1   
Special Abilities: ECM, STL

Created using Solaris Armor Werks
Downloadable here
« Last Edit: 26 June 2014, 17:41:36 by winteriscoming77 »

It is not all Battletech (video games, game design, game philosophy, etc.), but has battle reports and my (inexperienced) musings about the game.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 28 June 2014, 17:46:08 »
Your interpretation of heat is correct.

That said, you do need to armor that turret.  It comes up on the 8 slot of the hit tables (that's a little bit of an obscure reference in TacOps, mind you, but it's there).

If you don't plan on using ComStar/WoB armor formations, you could afford to take a couple tons from the infantry bay.  6 tons doesn't get you anything spectacular unless you're using the optional weights for heavy suits.  A ton for armor (bring that turret to 15 points, one more to the front) and a ton for something else (I went with more MGs).
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

winteriscoming77

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 29 June 2014, 09:42:36 »
I think I had done my armor allocation in SAW, decided I wanted the MGs turret mounted, and then forget to go back and re-allocate the armor.  :)

Register