Author Topic: When to use white primer?  (Read 2290 times)

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
When to use white primer?
« on: 05 August 2014, 08:47:53 »
Okay, I need some help with this one.  When is white primer a superior option to grey or black primer?  Admittedly, I have always used a lot of dark/metallic colors on my minis in the past, but, for example, what if I were to paint up some Comstar mechs or some FWL Guards, where I would want the recessed lines and details to be dark?  What would be the advantage of priming white -> washing dark -> painting white opposed to priming black -> drybrushing white -> panel detailing white?
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Rtifs

• Warrant Officer
Re: When to use white primer?
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2014, 09:03:53 »
You could paint two minis in the same color scheme and you’ll know which one was primed white and which was primed black.  The white primer results in a cleaner, brighter look.  So if you are going for bright colors you’ll want a white primer.  Black is good for darker colors and as a base for metals. 

Of course I do my best painting on organic models, such as 28mm scale.  I’m not so good with machines/mechs.  I just try for an acceptable table top standard.  So for the purpose of mechs, the advice of some others on this forum should supersede mine.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2014, 13:11:22 »
No, that gives me a good idea what to expect, thanks. 

I have two lances destined to be FWL & Lyrans that I'll try white primer on.   
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Knallogfall

• Sergeant
  • Acta deos numquam mortalia fallunt.
    • Krigshammer - Miniatures web log.
« Reply #3 on: 06 August 2014, 20:52:18 »
It really just depends what look you're going for... Sometimes black is better, other times white, and your techniques make a huge difference as well. For example, I prefer airbrushing over black, unless I use very bright colors like orange or tan. With a brush, you could do white, and use a couple layers of thinned down color for some nice and bright coloration which you otherwise could not achieve with black.

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2014, 16:01:16 »
I never use white primer unless I'm planning on a very bright basecoat. I typically use grey, it gives me a nice medium shade.

That said, I've had good results from Ye Olde "Spray-prime white, then do several ink washes" technique on a few things.

Register