Author Topic: MWO Linebacker announced!  (Read 20371 times)

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: MWO Linebacker announced!
« Reply #30 on: 08 November 2016, 00:21:26 »
Linebacker picture:

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 08 November 2016, 16:30:36 »

Title: The Defender

Title: The Kicker

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #32 on: 08 November 2016, 17:41:09 »
It looks mean as all hell, but I feel like it'll look much more scary that it really will end up.

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #33 on: 08 November 2016, 19:30:56 »
Chunky...
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #34 on: 08 November 2016, 20:03:19 »
Reminds me of Daishi/Dire Wolf
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 08 November 2016, 20:19:37 »
Reminds me of Daishi/Dire Wolf
This. It actually looks a tad more impressive in the leg area to me.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 09 November 2016, 14:10:53 »
Linebacker pictures:

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #37 on: 09 November 2016, 14:56:57 »
Looks great. I'm glad it ended up with a much lower stance than the concept art. Good stuff.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #38 on: 10 November 2016, 01:11:31 »
If I did not have about 12 mechs to level up, I would probably have gotten it.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 10 November 2016, 16:23:21 »
Linebacker quirks:

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 10 November 2016, 18:25:39 »
Wait, the Linebacker'll have quirks?

I kinda want it now, because it looks like one of the last Clan omnimechs to have structure quirks right now.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 11 November 2016, 00:46:34 »
Wait, the Linebacker'll have quirks?

I kinda want it now, because it looks like one of the last Clan omnimechs to have structure quirks right now.
Well, a small ER PPC bonus, a small missile bonus on the Hero 'Mech ...

Have I missed something?

Those mobility bonuses are nice, but in the game when it's common that when you peek behind the corner and get some 100 point alpha in your face, they are not crucial.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 11 November 2016, 10:55:44 »
I meant more the structure bonuses, sorry. Stuff like that's pretty rare on Clan 'mechs, hence the surprise.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 11 November 2016, 11:40:30 »
I meant more the structure bonuses, sorry. Stuff like that's pretty rare on Clan 'mechs, hence the surprise.
No, that was my mistake. I am more sorry than you are.

As for those structure bonuses, certain Clan OmniMechs have them: Man-o'-War, Masakari, Puma, Uller, Thor, Hagetaka, Black Hawk, Fenris and Koshi (and maybe others; I don't know if it hasn't been changed).

Even some Clan BattleMechs such as Orion IIC or Highlander IIC have such bonuses.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 11 November 2016, 14:13:25 »
Linebacker size comparison

As big as the Catapult:

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #45 on: 11 November 2016, 14:44:41 »
Whoa that thing bit bigger than i thought it be. I thought it was shorter machine.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #46 on: 11 November 2016, 16:04:02 »
Whoa that thing bit bigger than i thought it be. I thought it was shorter machine.

It looks fairly short to me, but then the newly rescaled Catapult is quite small now. They really should have posted it next to an Ebon Jag, and or rescaled Timberwolf.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 11 November 2016, 16:20:21 »
It looks fairly short to me, but then the newly rescaled Catapult is quite small now. They really should have posted it next to an Ebon Jag, and or rescaled Timberwolf.

It's smaller than the Cauldron-Born, but it's more compact. However, the Cauldron-Born is quite broad and sometimes some shots pass between Cauldron-Born's arm and side torso. That probably won't happen with the Linebacker.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 12 November 2016, 12:13:24 »
Smoke Jaguar, Wolf, Jade Falcon and Ghost Bear livery

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: 12 November 2016, 15:49:22 »
The fact that I just realized this thing is going to be faster than my Huntsman kinda made me die a little inside.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 12 November 2016, 16:32:16 »
The fact that I just realized this thing is going to be faster than my Huntsman kinda made me die a little inside.
Let's just say that this thing is going to be as fast as the Ryoken and with more or less same armor, while coming with about five less tons of pod space (than the Ryoken).
« Last Edit: 12 November 2016, 16:57:58 by martian »

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 12 November 2016, 16:48:39 »
I worry for it's effectiveness in MWO.

It's a hot runner on the tabletop, and MWO is pretty unforgiving about heat. As has been said, it's armored roughly the same as a Stormcrow, with the movement of a Stormcrow, and less pod space. Oh, and it counts as a Heavy, so it'll be fighting for drop-space on the heavy list.

At least with the other Wolf hallmarks that are in the wrong weight class, you don't have to worry about that. The Gargoyle is for all intents and purposes a heavy, but it drops as an assault. The Ice Ferret's a fat light, but it's rarely ever a problem to drop in a light OR medium.

I forsee lots of missile spam on this chassis. You can mount more LRM-5's on a combination of Linebacker Pods than you can on a Mad Dog. It'll probably make a decent light hunter if you cram streaks, but... it's kindof a waste on a Heavy Mech.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 12 November 2016, 17:15:05 »
I forsee lots of missile spam on this chassis. You can mount more LRM-5's on a combination of Linebacker Pods than you can on a Mad Dog. It'll probably make a decent light hunter if you cram streaks, but... it's kindof a waste on a Heavy Mech.
With about 17 tons of pod space, the Linebacker is going to have a similar problem as the Black Hawk.

You can use a pair of UAC-5s with a few tons of ammo, and you will have no tonnage left. Or you can use Class 10 or 20 UAC and some 2-4 lasers. That's not especially great for a Clan heavy 'Mech.

The Madcat has 27.5 tons of pod space, the Cauldron-Born has 30 tons of pod space. Not to talk about the Night Gyr with 38 tons of pod space.

So lasers and missiles are the only practical choices.
« Last Edit: 12 November 2016, 17:31:10 by martian »

Adgar76

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #53 on: 12 November 2016, 17:19:11 »
To be fair, in MWO there's nothing preventing you from maxing out the armor. Between this and the generous armor and structure quirks, this thing is probably going to be as tough as a Timberwolf, if the hitboxes aren't too bad. The limited podspace (16.5t w/max armor, which however include 4 extra DHS) is going to be the real problem here, but there are definitely going to be some viable builds.

Iron Wolf

• Corporal
« Reply #54 on: 13 November 2016, 03:21:53 »
I like the look of it. I am hoping it will be fun to play around with. It's at least something to try besides the ubiquitous Ebon Jagor/Timber Wolf buids.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 13 November 2016, 12:16:42 »
Oh, I'm all for variety, and I plan to buy one when they come out for Cbills.

I'm just probably not going to wind up owning six, like I do Timber Wolves. And, I'm a bit more interested in the Linebacker's TRO3055 Peers, than I am the Linebacker itsself. Well, I seriously doubt we'll be seeing a Naga in game anytime soon, but I would be all over it if we did! Rather, I'm thinking it'd be nice to get the Phantom and Pouncer (as wolf mechs go) and the Stone Rhino would fit great in MWO, there's a Dire Wolf config that I love which is more or less a stock Stone Rhino. (not that I'm expecting more clan assaults right away after the Kodiak and Supernova)
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 13 November 2016, 13:41:23 »
I can see the Naga being considered hot BS if they ever released it. Because that would mean Arrow IVs.

And LRM boats can be annoying as is.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 13 November 2016, 14:24:43 »

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #58 on: 16 November 2016, 17:43:13 »
So...for those that a driving this thing, how do you like it?
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 17 November 2016, 00:00:31 »
Sadly I've only ever seen them on the other side of the gun, but they seem pretty solid.

Getting torn apart by a Redline and a Prime running circles around me kinda taught me to respect the ones that work together, because it seems to pair very well with itself. Never thought I'd see Heavies pulling off a circle of death, light-mech style.

That said, it falls apart like cheese paper if it tries to solo anything above its weight. It doesn't have too much of a boost to fighting anything bigger and seems to mostly pick on things smaller than it.