Author Topic: What is your favourite scout mech?  (Read 11442 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: What is your favourite scout mech?
« Reply #60 on: 21 August 2017, 18:08:26 »
Surprised no one's mentioned the wolftrap..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #61 on: 21 August 2017, 21:32:27 »
I have never really considered it a scout mech.  It isn't until 3090 a good, non-unique, Wolf Trap appears and that doesn't have a probe.  The Daitama certainly could be a scout, but it isn't mass produced.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #62 on: 21 August 2017, 21:56:30 »
The Uziel. It's technically a "Recon" design, but the twin-PPC model is a viable threat to enemy fast responders.

That, and I always felt like it paired well with the Wolfhound and Commando, other traditional Steiner Scout Mechs (Not the meme ones, actual scout mechs).

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #63 on: 21 August 2017, 22:59:44 »
I have never really considered it a scout mech.  It isn't until 3090 a good, non-unique, Wolf Trap appears and that doesn't have a probe.  The Daitama certainly could be a scout, but it isn't mass produced.

While it is a medium mech weight wise, it has decent speed and weaponry.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Requiemking

• Corporal
« Reply #64 on: 22 August 2017, 03:15:41 »
Mist Lynx. I'm sorry, its just that the idea of "scout mechs" kinda makes me salty.
Mist Match

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #65 on: 22 August 2017, 16:31:37 »
The Mist Lynx is an excellent scout regardless of the config thanks to the fixed Active Probe. The Prime is ideal due to its flexibility.
If using mixed tech or Clan forces, there are few as good choices as the Mist Lynx, at least if you don't know what you're up against and thus can't pick an optimal choice.

Requiemking

• Corporal
« Reply #66 on: 22 August 2017, 17:27:35 »
The Mist Lynx is an excellent scout regardless of the config thanks to the fixed Active Probe. The Prime is ideal due to its flexibility.
If using mixed tech or Clan forces, there are few as good choices as the Mist Lynx, at least if you don't know what you're up against and thus can't pick an optimal choice.
Its not that. In fact the Mist Lynx is my favourite Light mech in Battletech. You see, I'm from the MWO fanbase, and unfortunately we Light pilots have been getting crushed by nerfs for the past couple years. There is also the fact that MWO's scoresystem is based almost entirely on combat, so anything that doesn't directly involve shooting then enemy team earns next to nothing, and every time we try to get a buff the Assault Potatoes, MW4 Grognards, and Skirmish Junkies whine and scream until the devs undo said buff.
Mist Match

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #67 on: 22 August 2017, 18:20:47 »
It was clear for me that MWO's lights would be worthless the moment it was clear they wouldn't actually do the information warfare system or whatever it was called back in the closed beta...

In BattleTech proper, scout 'Mechs work. And the Mist Lynx is effective.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #68 on: 22 August 2017, 20:57:23 »
Its not that. In fact the Mist Lynx is my favourite Light mech in Battletech. You see, I'm from the MWO fanbase, and unfortunately we Light pilots have been getting crushed by nerfs for the past couple years. There is also the fact that MWO's scoresystem is based almost entirely on combat, so anything that doesn't directly involve shooting then enemy team earns next to nothing, and every time we try to get a buff the Assault Potatoes, MW4 Grognards, and Skirmish Junkies whine and scream until the devs undo said buff.
And I'm just sitting here wondering why lights apparently suck, when I've seen a 3SRM2 Commando kill two assaults solo. Either way, this is Battletech. MWO has little to do with it except for shared units. And most of us here are aware of what goes on in that game anyways, so exposition is somewhat unneeded (For future reference).

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #69 on: 23 August 2017, 08:11:30 »
And my Mist Lynx on the original Alpine maps rating PPC death on people stacking the gates , with arty strikes and air drops, while calling out numbers in the pass, and finally dropping into the valley at a good pace to trip up their assault and buy more time.

And then they made the recon thing in Clan Warfare... ugh.

I haven't played a double blind game of BT so recon isn't really my forte in the board game: but in TW and AS I find those TMM's are killer and all my friends agree the box set Spider is key. Getting a Fire Moth soon with an Elemental Point to show them Ghost Bear Recon.

Vonshroom

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #70 on: 23 August 2017, 14:58:12 »

I really like it, and it could certainly be used for Scouting, but I wouldn't n ecessarily classify it as a "scout mech". More of a recon capable cavalry mech or skirmisher design. Definitely a good unit, not my definition of a scout mech.
For The Archon!