Author Topic: Attack on Andurien - 8/28/21 @ 2:00pm in Lansing, Michigan  (Read 2310 times)

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
Hi Folks,

We're back and ready to throw some dice with you in Lansing, Michigan on Saturday, August 28 at 2 p.m. I'll start setting up the game at 2 p.m. (HeroClix ends at 2 p.m.) and Battletech will start between 2:15 and 2:30 p.m.

"Attack on Andurien"

October 21, 3031
Conquista, Duchy of Andurien, Free Worlds League

Not long after the 4th Succession War died down, skirmishes exploded along the Marik/Liao border as Romano Liao was desperate to prove that the Capellan Confederation Armed Forces was still a force to be reckoned with. The longstanding animosity that she felt towards the Duchy of Andurien made them a prime target for her wrath. However, little did she know, it was these raids that sowed the seeds which would later become an all-out war with the Duchy and their allies, the Magistacy of Canopus. Two years after the horrendous losses of the 4th Succession War, the Confederation was embroiled in another fight for their very survival.

Attack on Andurien is a Succession Wars era scenario that will be played on hex maps using Total War rules. Additionally, the following special rules are in effect for my game, so please take the time to review them before the game (I'll have copies of the relevant pages at the game, just in case).

Special Rules and Objectives:
- Forced Withdrawal rules are in effect for both sides.
The Optional rules from Tac Ops are in effect:
- Backward Movement (Expanded) [changing levels while walking/driving backwards] (p.22)
- Movement Dice [white=walk, red=run, jade=jump] (p.27)
- Floating Critical (p.77)
- Firing When Down [one-arm prop and fire] (p.85)
- Expanded Flip Arms [torso-twist AND flip arms at the same time] (p.87)
- Rapid Fire AC [light and std AC's can double fire] (p.100)
- Energy Weapons [dialing down lasers] (p.102)
- Rapid Fire Machine Guns [higher rate of fire] (p.102)
- Hot-Load Missiles [no minimum on LRM] (p.102)

And as you may have noticed, I'm now running events at Summit Comics and Games in Lansing, Michigan. Summit is located in Washington Square, just two blocks away from the Capitol building. Parking is free on the street on Saturdays and there's lots of places to grab a bite to eat before the game (I personally recommend Firehouse Subs for a reasonably-priced tasty meal).

Please Note: until Summit codifies their rules for the revamped gaming area, I must ask that people not bring food into the gaming area. I think drinks with a cap are okay though. They're on the tail-end of renovations to their building, so I'll see if I can get a ruling from them before the game.

EDIT: please see the second post below for Summit's guideline on food/drinks in the gaming area.

Summit Comics is located at 216 Washington Square B, Lansing, MI 48933

Lastly, if you've never attended one of my games, please take a moment to review the Code of Conduct, which is located at: http://playbattletech.blogspot.com/p/code-of-conduct.html

Hope to see you there,
« Last Edit: 21 August 2021, 10:39:58 by IronSphinx »
Charles "IronSphinx" Wilson (CDT #66)
=======================
Want to find a Battletech game in Michigan?
Go to www.playbattletech.org.

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
Re: C-19 restrictions
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2021, 01:32:36 »
SPECIAL NOTE: What is my position on C-19 in relation to the games I run at Summit Comics:

1. Summit has the right to impose guidelines for people who shop at their store and use their gaming space. So, if you're not comfortable with their policies, then you shouldn't attend a game that I run at their store because their rules take precedence. Right now, as of Sunday, August 15th, they are asking that you not enter the store if you are feeling ill. Furthermore, they are allowing their customers to mask or not-mask as they so choose. If they change their rules between now and when my game is run, I'll let everyone know.

2. I expect that people who attend my games will conduct themselves with common sense. Therefore:
  • Use common sense if you are feeling sick. If you have symptoms for ANY reason (cold, flu, strep, etc), please stay home and join us when you're feeling better.
  • Masks will not be required, but you can wear one if you choose.
  • Your personal medical history is noone's business but yours (and your physician). I won't be asking you about yours, so please don't ask me about mine.
  • If you are not comfortable gaming with someone who HAS NOT taken 'the jab', then I suggest you hold off on attending one of my events until after the pandemic is over.
  • If you are not comfortable gaming with someone who HAS taken 'the jab', then I suggest you hold off on attending one of my events until after the pandemic is over.
  • I plan to have hand sanitizer with me at the event and ask that people please use it if you feel the need (but PLEASE dry your hands thoroughly before you start handling my miniatures).

3. Number of players vs. Social Distancing

Right now, Summit doesn't have a social distancing policy in place that I am aware of. However, as the Lansing Board Gamers group had fifteen players in the gaming space last weekend, I'm not going to place a cap on the number of players at my game (yet). However,  I will have two copies of the game (including record sheets, maps, and miniatures), just in case we need to run two games concurrently due to number of people. Since my game will be two lances versus two lances, I should be able to accommodate a maximum of 16 people--which will give everyone a minimum of two 'Mechs if 16 people actually show up.

4. Lastly, a note regarding politics and religion.

In the past, we've all engaged in some very lively and enlightening discussions regarding politics and religion--both before and after the game, and rarely but sometimes during. As we all come from different backgrounds and belief systems, I've always seen it as a good thing when we share ideas and perspectives that the others may not have considered. Communication is one of the best steps towards understanding, even if we don't agree on every issue. It's always been civil between all of us, and I appreciate everyone's adherence to the "Golden Rule" immensely--it speaks volumes about all of your character.

However, we're currently living through a time that I believe none of us could have foreseen. In both private conversations with some of you, and from looking at many of your social media posts, I've seen a lot of extreme and ofttimes vitriolic comments over the past couple years as society becomes more and more polarized. We're all stressed out. Sometimes you need to blow off steam. Sometimes you're just pissed off. I get it.

But, first and foremost, I'd like to remind everyone that we're still united in our love of Battletech. However, I'm still going to be taking the step of imposing a moratorium on political and religious discussions at my games until further notice. If that's what you want to talk about, please take it elsewhere. I'm running these games to play Battletech with my friends, no matter what beliefs they may hold privately. And I hope that you feel the same way. We can find more than enough topics to debate within the history of Battletech--especially with the new fiction and the new ilClan sourcebook!

Let's all keep it civil and be thankful that we can meet together once again and play a game about giant stompy robots.  ;)

I thank you for your cooperation during these trying times and I look forward to rolling dice with you all once again.
« Last Edit: 15 August 2021, 02:05:50 by IronSphinx »
=======================

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
Re: Attack on Andurien - 8/28/21 @ 2:00pm in Lansing, Michigan
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2021, 10:38:03 »
Okay, I've spoken to Matt, the owner of Summit Comics about the food in the gaming room issue.

Matt said that he doesn't have a problem with people bringing food into the gaming room "so long as they don't wreck his gaming room. (his words). Therefore, I ask everyone who wants to bring a snack or a drink to the game, please be careful and clean up after yourselves.

And be extra careful with drinks (and anything sticky) as we'll be playing on paper hex maps.

Thank you for your cooperation.  :)
=======================

Register