Author Topic: Tips for designing a (Bluewater) Navy?  (Read 3233 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Tips for designing a (Bluewater) Navy?
« Reply #30 on: 01 October 2023, 19:47:03 »
Found the design I made from a couple of years ago: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,74692.0.html

15 tons, 1 crew, under 300K, moves 10/15 underwater with a Stinger engine.  Maxcarrion inspired it.

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
« Reply #31 on: 01 October 2023, 20:09:41 »
LRT-5s are the main threat to anything in the water, since it only takes one point of damage to cause a breach check.  The bad news is you can cram one into a quite fast 5-ton, 1-man submarine pretty much only limited by food and ammo.  If you're not using HarJel, prepare to have a lot of metal on the bottom.
Are watertight bulkheads and compartmentalization lostech? The idea that only clan metamaterials can possible perform damage control on a ship of 100,000 tons is quite silly.
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #32 on: 01 October 2023, 21:25:14 »
Are watertight bulkheads and compartmentalization lostech? The idea that only clan metamaterials can possible perform damage control on a ship of 100,000 tons is quite silly.

Only on Multi-hex units...

The standard "vessel" is up to 300 tons and occupies 1 hex. The A.

What your talking about occupies 2 or more hexes, each with Breach Rules.

A WW II vessel would be close to B for DD, C for CC and D for BB, the E would he modern Nimitz CVN.

Check out Large Naval Template in TO.

TT
« Last Edit: 01 October 2023, 21:27:10 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #33 on: 02 October 2023, 03:19:03 »
It's very silly, yes.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 02 October 2023, 09:22:05 »
I didnt even know you could make naval mobile structures.

Check out the Wyrm.

Jihad Hot Spots: Terra has the RS and stats for her.

Let's say, plop one of these on any world alongside an Argo.
(Handbook: House Marik)

There's your Navy(Blue).

TT
« Last Edit: 02 October 2023, 09:23:42 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 07 November 2023, 03:26:41 »
Many planets put population and industrial center on peninsulas so having wet navy as Long Tom - Arrow IV or even cruise missile platforms make sense . Combining it with rapid response VTOLs and tanks with  TAG also makes sense . Under water communities under Domes or Canyon walls makes Submarines with long range torpedoes as the primary defensive units alao makes sense . Look up the Lysander as an Aerospace fighter base .

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 09 November 2023, 20:54:12 »
Check out the Wyrm.

Jihad Hot Spots: Terra has the RS and stats for her.

Let's say, plop one of these on any world alongside an Argo.
(Handbook: House Marik)

There's your Navy(Blue).

TT

Add a few modified Argo Subs that replace the 18 Aerospace Fighter bays with 2700 tons of light, heavy, and superheavy vehicle bays to deploy smaller subs.

The Argo can deploy smaller subs that carry troops, heavy subs that serve as interference to enemy subs, and superheavy subs to carry Long Tom guns, and never risk itself the entire time.  If a sub gets damaged it would even have S&R subs to retrieve the crew and damaged sub for onboard repair/salvage.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 10 November 2023, 06:31:42 »
Look up Moray, Manta and Baleena...

Add in the Harpoon Parasubmersible infantry.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 11 November 2023, 00:03:34 »
For the OP, I really enjoy using the mobile structure rules for making ships.  You choose a size and height, and the type is abstracted to hangar, building, fortress.  Hangar is mostly open, and has a cargo container ship as the example.  It would also work good for oil rigs, which id imagine would be a huge part of a blue water world.  A building is enclosed, so a cruise ship or fishing vessel where all the stuff is inside save the roof/deck.  Fortress types are the ones with armor.  If a ship has armor, its the fortress type.

The mobile structure has far fewer minor things to add for tonnage, so making lots of different ones isnt nearly as much a pain.  Its just CF in place of tonnage, keeping it in a 20-100 range for most things per level.  You can take the dimensions of a real vessel, and its speed, and draftx2 for levels and just choose the type that fits that length/height--and bam units done.

Edit: as a proof of concept, lets make a stand in for an LCS.  Its 110ish meters, so I'm gonna go with 4 hexes long and 2 high.  The littoral is a pretty small type, so lets go medium weight with a 40 CF.  Its fast with a shallow draft, giving it 2 levels per hex to ensure the minimum draft for shallow waters, as half the total levels rounded down are above water.

We will do the max speed of 3, with a fission engine so no fuel.  This takes 9 of the 40 CF.  Add another 2 for controls.  Finally armor, 40 armor per hex is 2.5 tons, divided by 2 levels.  This leaves 27.75 x 8 for hexes and levels, or 222 tons for stuff.  Lets do 4 light vee bays, for 2 vtols and 2 landing craft.  With 22 tons remaining, that's 4 light and 2 medium machine guns, an ac5, 1 ton of ammo for each type of weapon, and an LRM5 with 24 shots in place of 22 rolling airframe missiles.  The last 5 tons will go to infantry bays, or you can mount turrets for the ac5 and LRM5 for less infantry tonnage.

We have a serviceable littoral ship capable of operating in shallow water.  Mobile structures have crew and such, but don't pay tonnage for it since its nice and abstract.

« Last Edit: 11 November 2023, 01:50:41 by DevianID »

Register