Author Topic: Fleet Tender Request Design: Corvette and Pocket Warship Motherships Wanted!  (Read 390 times)

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
One problem for 'optimized' warship designs is that they lack creature comforts, repair facilities, cargo and other things that they offload onto...other ships.  So let's build the other ship.

So for this design what we shall need is:
  • 12 Corvettes or 24 PWS supported.
  • Repair bays for 2 Corvettes or 4 PWS.
  • Six months supplies for the ship and all dependants.

On the list of Nice-to-haves...
  • At least one Grav-deck with a rotation rate below 2RPM.
  • Extensive passenger quarters for crews of ships that are docked.
  • L-F battery for mobility.
  • 3/5 acceleration to keep up with line-combatants.
  • Adequate anti-dropship and anti-fighter weaponry to protect it.
  • At least half it's available docking ports actually filled with drop-collars.
  • A year of supplies and fuel for itself and all it's dependants.
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
  • The little duchy that could
Oh, fun challenge! I'll give it a try. One minor thing, though.

This request is not possible to include on a warship:

On the list of Nice-to-haves...
  • At least one Grav-deck with a rotation rate below 2RPM.
(at least according to Project Rho. It needs a radius of 224m to achieve 1g at 2 rpm. SpinCalc gives 3.4 rpm at 1g for a 75m radius / 150m diameter or 0.33g at 2 rpm)EDIT: nevermind, misrememberes the max grav deck sizes
« Last Edit: 22 February 2024, 17:17:35 by Gorgon »
Jude Melancon lives!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Given it's supposed to support dependents too, I'd almost think you'd pay the Grav Deck cost for the NON-rotating part of the ship... ;D

AlphaMirage

• Major
I am willing to bid a tender but need some clarification.

How big are your Corvettes? What range of LY do they roam in?

What types of weapons are your PWS using? If its missiles then you need a lot of ammo tonnage to maintain proficiency. If its SCLs or SCCs then you'd need a lot less.

Are you certain it is a good idea to put idle crews in the line of fire rather than just cycling them home via the jumpship logistics backbone? Rather than redeploying them to vessels coming out of the yard.

Why can't you just operate a smaller Jump-Capable Yardship (Like say a Merchant/Star Lord Conversion) and have dropships conducting regular underway resupply at rally points/depots.

Which type of repair bay would you prefer? I ask because that is going to be a major limiter on ship mass as the repair bays use up dropship allotment.

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
Let's use the Fox as a standard for corvettes-it's a pretty common Post-PWS design.  And it's big enough to be mostly able to support a lot of other non-Vincent class corvettes as well if they're found as salvage.  As for ranging, well, they might be headed two jumps away, maybe more, maybe less.  For high-intensity action however, the Tender might need to move with them to be on hand for immediate S&R and salvage.

PWS are far less standardized, so maybe just assume the worst and they're all using missiles.

I think it's better to put idle crews near their ships for minor repairs rather than cycling them back to a resupply base for 1-2 months when the fix will only take a couple of days.  And by making the ship extra-comfortable, we alleviate some of the stress of deploying several squadrons for a year away from a base.

Mumble Mumble, no need for HPGs, mumble mumble, independent operations, vague gesture at the need to actually protect such a large pile of warship supplies and ammunition.  (I just wanted to see if we could do this kind of ship.)

Unpressurized is fine, this doesn't need to be all the bells and whistles of a yardship.
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

AlphaMirage

• Major
I gave it a valiant effort but a repair bay that large is just so big that a Warship's collar capacity just disappears unless you make the ship gigantic which seems like a waste to support Corvettes.

I do however present a Leviathan Jumpship based Yard that can service your Corvettes and maybe small Destroyers (or at least Carracks) as well as common Jumpships (but not the biggest ones like itself or a Monolith). Unfortunately it will require dropships attached to its collars in order to support the personnel and yard that encapsulates the skeletal structure of the Jumpship. While incapable of defending itself it might have a Warship in its repair bay (or nearby waiting to be serviced) that is capable of doing so. At the very least it is 'cheap' compared to a proper Warship (definitely one with a LF-battery). Resupply via dropships just makes too much sense rules and lore-wise.

Leviathan Yardship
Mass: 410,000 tons
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Advanced)
Introduced: 2468
Mass: 410,000
Battle Value: 1,721
Tech Rating/Availability: D/D-E-D-F
Cost: 2,792,866,667 C-bills

Code: [Select]
Fuel: 1,000 tons (2,500)
Safe Thrust: 0
Maximum Thrust: 0
Sail Integrity: 6
KF Drive Integrity: 8
Heat Sinks: 144
Structural Integrity: 1

Armor
    Nose: 20
    Fore Sides: 17/17
    Aft Sides: 14/14
    Aft: 9

Cargo
    Bay 1:  Standard Repair Facility (Unpressurized) (300,000)1 Door   
    Bay 2:  Cargo (475.0 tons)      1 Door   

Ammunition:
None

Dropship Capacity: 2
Grav Decks: 1 (250 m)
Escape Pods: 5
Life Boats: 5
Crew:  5 officers, 42 enlisted/non-rated

Notes: Mounts 227.5 tons of standard aerospace armor.

Weapons:     Capital Attack Values (Standard)
Arc (Heat) Heat  SRV     MRV     LRV      ERV    Class       
None

The Duke Heavy Frigate
Mass: 480,000 tons
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Advanced)
Introduced: 3067
Mass: 480,000
Battle Value: 32,092
Tech Rating/Availability: E/X-X-E-F
Cost: 23,841,672,000 C-bills

Background - The Duke is an upgraded version of the Baron Destroyer which while adequate for its age could not adapt to a Pocket Warship and LF battery era. One of its distinctive features is the large pressurized repair bay built into its prow with a 'beak' that closes around the repair bay to protect the facility. Unfortunately this has removed its ability to shoot nose weaponry but that is more than made up for elsewhere. This unusual adaptation was added to repair and maintain our growing Pocket Warship fleet with extra crew compartments available to board vessel crews and maintenance personnel. Although it lacks the copious cargo bays of its predecessor 65.4 kilotons of cargo and 26.5 kilotons of fuel ensures the Pocket Warships can not only repair but resupply their magazines in a shirtsleeves environment. It possesses 6 docking collars which greatly reduce the amount of time it needs to spend refilling the cargo bay and topping off its fuel bunkers before returning to station.

Although its firepower and armor is lacking in an anti-Warship engagement The Duke is not meant to operate individually in a line of battle. It's armament is however adequate to protect itself from Pocket Warships and small numbers of Aerospace Fighters. Additionally the weapons, hangers, and docking collars make The Duke a very effective planetary invasion leader as it can support ground forces with resupply and precisely remove threats from orbit with its lasers.

Code: [Select]
Fuel: 26,500 tons (66,250)
Safe Thrust: 3
Maximum Thrust: 5
Sail Integrity: 4
KF Drive Integrity: 11
Heat Sinks: 1,100
Structural Integrity: 30

Armor
    Nose: 42
    Fore Sides: 34/34
    Aft Sides: 30/30
    Aft: 20

Cargo
    Bay 1:  Fighter (6)             2 Doors   
    Bay 2:  Small Craft (6)         1 Door   
    Bay 3:  Standard Repair Facility (Pressurized) (45,000)1 Door   
    Bay 4:  Cargo (65417.5 tons)    1 Door   

Ammunition:
    1,008 rounds of Anti-Missile System [IS] ammunition (7 tons)

Dropship Capacity: 6
Grav Decks: 1 (250 m)
Escape Pods: 38
Life Boats: 13
Crew:  40 officers, 150 enlisted/non-rated, 54 gunners, 42 bay personnel, 300 passengers

Notes: Equipped with
    lithium-fusion battery system
288 tons of improved ferro-aluminum armor.

Weapons:                                        Capital Attack Values (Standard)
Arc (Heat)                                  Heat  SRV     MRV     LRV      ERV    Class       
FRS/FLS (604 Heat)
5 Large Laser                               40   4(40)   4(40)    0(0)     0(0)   Laser       
5 PPC                                       50   5(50)   5(50)    0(0)     0(0)   PPC         
4 Anti-Missile System                        4   1(12)    0(0)    0(0)     0(0)   AMS         
    Anti-Missile System Ammo [IS] (1728 shots)
6 Naval Laser 55                            510  33(330) 33(330) 33(330) 33(330)  Capital Laser
RBS/LBS (585 Heat)
4 Large Laser                               32   3(32)   3(32)    0(0)     0(0)   Laser       
4 PPC                                       40   4(40)   4(40)    0(0)     0(0)   PPC         
3 Anti-Missile System                        3    1(9)    0(0)    0(0)     0(0)   AMS         
6 Naval Laser 55                            510  33(330) 33(330) 33(330) 33(330)  Capital Laser
ARS/ALS (604 Heat)
5 Large Laser                               40   4(40)   4(40)    0(0)     0(0)   Laser       
5 PPC                                       50   5(50)   5(50)    0(0)     0(0)   PPC         
4 Anti-Missile System                        4   1(12)    0(0)    0(0)     0(0)   AMS         
Aft (585 Heat)
4 Large Laser                               32   3(32)   3(32)    0(0)     0(0)   Laser       
4 PPC                                       40   4(40)   4(40)    0(0)     0(0)   PPC         
3 Anti-Missile System                        3    1(9)    0(0)    0(0)     0(0)   AMS         

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Leviathan Yardship

DIBS! Marian Hegemony is calling DIBS for this ship on the Warship Race III!

Get yer own, dis one mines!

DIBS!

TT

Pretty nice, Duke btw.
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

FastConcentrate8

• Master Sergeant
It's designed to accommodate a Corvette from my country though.

AlphaMirage

• Major
The Outworld's Alliance's Kukk Trading Company will happily sell them to any and all interested parties in compliance with our well stated (and punctuated by cannon armed 'merchants') neutrality.

Licensing of designs will have to go through approval with our Leadership team, Board of Directors and Trustees, and receive clearance from the OAN Admiralty Board (gift recommendations are available upon request;). All licensed manufacturers are expected to comply with the End User License and our Terms and Condition.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Throws a few extra tons of Germanium in the deal to get a sweeter discount.

Fair enough.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016