Author Topic: Homebrew Mapsheets  (Read 6897 times)

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
Homebrew Mapsheets
« on: 27 February 2011, 17:11:15 »
Hi everybody!

Here's a map that I'm working on, it will contan 6 sheets, with same terrain, and another base. It was difficult to start and I had to learn new ways to create that terrain and texturing.
I take orders on your maps, so please write me PM if interested.   

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The landscape is something like a tundra canyon, with military assets - bases to place figs. I will add height markers and hex numeration later. I have a pre printed sheet on my desc, and I'd like to say that I'm very pleased with the result.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2011, 17:19:16 by Whitar »

will_scarlet

• Recruit
Re: Homebrew Mapsheets
« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2011, 04:45:21 »
I like this and could use something like this for a project I have in mind.

Do you print these on card?
Do they match the hex scale of other mapsheets pefectly?
How well does the printing deal with the movement of mechs on metal bases during gameplay?

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2011, 10:39:54 »
Thanks!
The hexes match the base of mechs perfectly, this one is 17x15 or 16.  This map is in development, so later I will post a full result. The printing is stable, if you mean it could scratch while moving the minis. I will add buildings and hex info - heights and numbers.

Something like this

will_scarlet

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2011, 14:01:41 »
Which package are you using? Photoshop/Illustrator/Corel etc.
The first map you posted. I could have a use for four, each slightly different, so you could assemble them into a rectangle and have a concrete deck in each corner. Have an idea for a tag team game with Battletech on something like this.
They do look cool, and I'd be interested if you go commercial with a map making service along these lines.

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2011, 22:06:31 »
Looks great. How long before you finish these?
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2011, 05:54:43 »
Nice Building Sheet.

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 11 March 2011, 16:28:22 »
Thanks!

I use a lot of software, PS, Corel, 3ds Max..
Theese maps will include my designed landing pad, so be sure to check the updates)

Any detailed questions, please PM.
« Last Edit: 11 March 2011, 17:32:06 by Whitar »

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 11 March 2011, 17:10:39 »
Here's a little sneak peek into the warfare  :) I want a map scale LCD MONITOR  [rockon]

I can't tell for sure how quick I woiuld finish the whole pack, but the first one is ready, and the hardest preparation measures are done. Unfortunatelly I don't have much time to work with it, perhabs a month...

« Last Edit: 11 March 2011, 17:23:49 by Whitar »

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #8 on: 11 March 2011, 17:22:09 »
These look *really* good.  I'd love to see a tutorial on your technique if it's not secret sauce.

Also, just a preemptive fyi: be sure not to actually make a sales offer or link to a sale.  Such things are banned under current forum rules and I wouldn't want to see the WarningHammer come down on  you.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 11 March 2011, 17:30:40 »
Thank you) It is not a secret, but also a no sertain method) Briefly speaking, I make a hex height map in Corel, import it into 3ds Max for beveling, texturing and rendering. All afterworks are done in PS and final touches-  text, and borders in Corel. 

It took time to set the process and make things work the way I wanted. Buildings are made in PS only.

WarningHammer - Yep, sorry for that
« Last Edit: 11 March 2011, 17:33:17 by Whitar »

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 11 March 2011, 18:22:45 »
Ah, interesting.  I know of another fellow who used Xara which has a very easy-to-use bevel function that works similarly to this.  I usually do my editing in Photoshop.  Text, lines, and the like are done in layers in Illustrator which I use mostly like a layout tool (rarely use InDesign unless I'm compiling multiple images).
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 12 March 2011, 02:09:44 »
You design maps or other graphic work?
Illustrator is ok, but rarely use it. Next software I discovered is Bryce. This really improved my landscapes.

will_scarlet

• Recruit
« Reply #12 on: 12 March 2011, 06:07:36 »
Couldn't imagine playing on top of an LCD.  :). Way too risky for me. And an LCD under a sheet of glass creates that awkward alignment depth perception thing due to the thickness of the glass. I suppose the ideal would be a huge LCD with an thick protective film on it, but even then I'd be worried about people leaning on it, or the sharp corners on mech bases. Think I'll stick with card for the time being.

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 12 March 2011, 09:23:30 »
Well, you could use paper proxies  ;) Anyway it's a damn expensive idea)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 12 March 2011, 10:08:11 »
You design maps or other graphic work?
Illustrator is ok, but rarely use it. Next software I discovered is Bryce. This really improved my landscapes.

I hack some stuff together when the fit takes me. :)

will_scarlet

• Recruit
« Reply #15 on: 12 March 2011, 11:49:33 »
I've seen someone who projects dungeon floorplans onto a white table from a projector directly above the table.

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 12 March 2011, 12:04:15 »
That's a not bad idea too, and more flexible than cardstock, but always playing in the dark? No eyes could stand that)

The future owner of these maps I make will print them on PVC adhesive foil, I think it's the optimal solution for quality and wear strength.

This is a creative part I made for the empty landscape parts - a landing pad in construction

« Last Edit: 12 March 2011, 12:10:03 by Whitar »

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #17 on: 12 March 2011, 18:14:13 »
You ever consider doing a full city map with all the buildings already picked out?
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 13 March 2011, 09:30:15 »
Yes, I have that it mind. Maybe as a later project. Even more, I plan to make a military base, fortifications and camps, and also an industrial area, with mech hangars. And I want to recreate the dropships in top view, like Leopard and Overlord. In map scale ofcourse. As a scpecial item - the Comstar HPG station. 
« Last Edit: 13 March 2011, 09:59:39 by Whitar »

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 14 March 2011, 12:59:39 »
Some more art I've done recently, a mech repair station and a missile silo

« Last Edit: 15 March 2011, 08:03:32 by Whitar »

Register