Author Topic: Wild Child Games Hexagon Hills  (Read 3912 times)

Alex Keller

• Captain
Wild Child Games Hexagon Hills
« on: 30 January 2011, 20:27:12 »
I purchased some hex hills from Wild Child Games and used them in a couple battles this weekend.  I thought I'd write a review.

I purchased the basic set, and then two sets of the smaller shaped ones.  The company was very responsive and answered all my questions honestly.  I received the products about a week and a half after my order, because they had to be made first. 

The products arrived in shrink wrapped plastic and in good condition. The hills were kinda stuck together, but I pulled them apart and there was no damage.  The hills are just sort of made of a material that likes to cling to each other. The hills were sealed, so I don't have any flocking rubbing off.

I used the hexes on my GeoHex mat.  The hexes are 1.5."  I initially had difficulty matching up the hills on the mat.  I couldn't seem to get them aligned and I worried that the hexes were 2", but what I discovered was that the hexes were just slightly bigger than 1.5" so you just have to settle for the hills spilling over into the surrounding hexes.

The hills are great for stacking on each other.  I was also happy to see that there weren't any "half-hexes" like people had commented on before.  Every hex is full, so you don't have to worry about determining what is a lvl 1 hill and what is ground level.  You won't be able to put different hills next to each other because the edges do come down at a slope, so that's still a valid critique.

The hills are really easy to use once you figure out how to place them on the mat.  And they look really good.  That's the best thing about them, they look fantastic on the board.

Overall, I'm happy with them.  I think they're going to last a long time and they make hex-based games look good. 

wemic9

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
  • Terrain Monkey
    • Battletech Bastion
Re: Wild Child Games Hexagon Hills
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2011, 20:37:07 »
I considered purchasing some just to see how they were, but the partial hexes kept me from making a purchase (that and I make my own). Since you have some on hand how much of a problem do you think the partials will cause during game play.
Repeat After Me
Bringing reality into Battletech voids the warranty
Happiness is a mushroom Cloud
I'm so anxious I feel like a hyperactive weasel on crack

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2011, 20:52:32 »
There are no partials anymore.  That was a big concern of mine too.

My main critique is that they seem to be a little big for my GeoHex mat.  Other than that, they're exactly what I wanted.

wemic9

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
  • Terrain Monkey
    • Battletech Bastion
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2011, 22:09:51 »
There are no partials anymore.  That was a big concern of mine too.

It's good that there aren't any partial hexes. Think you could put up a pic of your hills because their product pics still show hills with all of the partials.
Repeat After Me
Bringing reality into Battletech voids the warranty
Happiness is a mushroom Cloud
I'm so anxious I feel like a hyperactive weasel on crack

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #4 on: 30 January 2011, 22:46:10 »
Hopefully some vendor at Origins will have some: I'd love for Geo Hex to be supported again. I like running Battlech Games on it but I stopped using it for demo games.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2011, 02:44:26 »
It's good that there aren't any partial hexes. Think you could put up a pic of your hills because their product pics still show hills with all of the partials.

Yeah, I'll post some pics when I can borrow my friend's camera. 

Register