Author Topic: Refining the Wolverine 7K. Wolverine WVR-10M2. A Standard Fusion Engine WVR  (Read 295 times)

Isokrates

• Warrant Officer
  • Dare to love the LGR.
I wanted to modernise the 7K and make it more durable.

A more trooper like medium mech with finally, after that plethora of XLE Wolverines, with a standard fusion engine.
Two MML-5s instead of the SRM-6 launchers. ERPPC instead of the large pulse laser. Usual 5/8/5 mobility. Max armor, CASE, and a small pulse laser in the head to take care of infantry.
Comes relatively cheap 5.632.557 loaded and with a decent BV of 1515.
Loosing half a ton of armor and installing CASE II instead of simple CASE you get a BV of 1495.

Code: [Select]
Wolverine WVR-10M2

Mass: 55 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: Dark Ages
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-E-D
Production Year: 3132
Dry Cost: 5.575.557 C-Bills
Total Cost: 5.632.557 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1.515

Chassis: Crucis-A Endo-Steel
Power Plant: CoreTek 275 275 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 54,0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86,4 km/h
Jump Jets: Northrup 12000
    Jump Capacity: 150 meters
Armor: Kallon Unity Weave Ferro-Fibrous w/ CASE
Armament:
    1 Fusigon Mark XI ER PPC
    2 Holly MML-5s
    1 Magna 200p Small Pulse Laser
Manufacturer: Kallon Industries
    Primary Factory: Thermopolis
Communications System: Garret T11-B
Targeting and Tracking System: Sync-Tracker

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel                    91 points                3,00
    Internal Locations: 1 CT, 3 LT, 6 RT, 2 LL, 2 RL
Engine:             Fusion Engine                275                      15,50
    Walking MP: 5
    Running MP: 8
    Jumping MP: 5 Standard
    Jump Jet Locations: 1 CT, 2 LT, 2 RT                                   2,50
Heat Sinks:         Double Heat Sink             11(22)                    1,00
Gyro:               Standard                                               3,00
Cockpit:            Standard                                               3,00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA+LA+H    R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor:              Ferro-Fibrous                AV - 185                 10,50
    Armor Locations: 1 LT, 1 RT, 7 LA, 5 RA
    CASE Locations: 1 LT                                                   0,50

Internal       Armor     
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     18           27       
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  9         
                                           L/R Torso     13           20       
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  6         
                                             L/R Arm     9            18       
                                             L/R Leg     13           26       

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ER PPC                                       RA        15        3         7,00
MML-5                                        RT        3         3         3,00
MML-5                                        LT        3         3         3,00
Small Pulse Laser                            HD        2         1         1,00
@MML-5 (SRM) (20)                            LT        -         1         1,00
@MML-5 (LRM) (24)                            LT        -         1         1,00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 1

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      6    Points: 15
5j         3       2       2       0      2     0   Structure:  5
Special Abilities: CASE, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA, IF 1

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Not bad!  Though I'd go with 30/6 on the CT vice 27/9... :)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Not bad!  Though I'd go with 30/6 on the CT vice 27/9... :)

Nyet.  Iz fine.

Actually, I can't find a single thing I'd actually change on this one, and the only weird alternate idea I had would be to go with a small cockpit, convert the SPL to a Laser AMS, and the CASE to CASE II using the ton you gain, but that's hardly necessary.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
I actually find I go 25/10 on my Wolverines because I really do expect them to be in the mix & surrounded.
That said 30/6 isn't a bad option for something "sniperish" like this that feels more like a Griffin than Wolvie with that PPC & 10 LRM tubes.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

DevianID

• Captain
I am a member of the wolverine 7k fan club.  You got my attention with the title!  However, the ERPPC and LRMs from the MML turn the 7k supreme brawler into the 10m2 an average sniper/skirmisher.  The large pulse laser, I can tell you from just way way too many wolverine 7k games, is far superior to the ER PPC.  Likewise, the ability to fire LRMs is neat, but I would load SRM plus SRM inferno before I ever loaded LRMs on a wolverine, so the swap from SRM6s to MML5s is a downgrade to the 7k style of play.  Finally, the heat management on the 7k is better.  Here we hit 28 heat with a jump alpha with 22 sinks, and are not heat neutral on a run.  The 7k hits 29 with a 26 dissipation, and is heat neutral on a run.

Its really tough to improve the 7k IMHO.  Its one of the best IS mechs ever made in brawly category.  (they list most wolverines as skirmishers, but since the 7k has more damage and more armor, unlike the standard 6R wolverine that dances around, the 7k goes right to the enemy and brawls--the skirmisher tag it gets feels wrong.  The grasshopper is another mech listed as a skirmisher thats clearly better then that, thus a brawler.)

You can do 24 sinks, a large pulse, medium laser, 2 srm6s, and 179 armor with a standard engine.  Losing the 9 pulse damage from the medium and small pulse on the 7k is rough, and thats no CASE either.  A snub PPC isnt a great fit for a 7k who wants to brawl at 3 hex range for the SRMs, so while I like snub PPCs the 7k is a 3 hex shooter with the double srm6 packs, making the 9 hex short range on the snub wasteful.

Anyway, in the end like Hellraiser said, this feels like a Griffin much more then a Wolverine--especially the 7k.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
I am a member of the wolverine 7k fan club.  You got my attention with the title!  However, the ERPPC and LRMs from the MML turn the 7k supreme brawler into the 10m2 an average sniper/skirmisher.  The large pulse laser, I can tell you from just way way too many wolverine 7k games, is far superior to the ER PPC.  Likewise, the ability to fire LRMs is neat, but I would load SRM plus SRM inferno before I ever loaded LRMs on a wolverine, so the swap from SRM6s to MML5s is a downgrade to the 7k style of play.  Finally, the heat management on the 7k is better.  Here we hit 28 heat with a jump alpha with 22 sinks, and are not heat neutral on a run.  The 7k hits 29 with a 26 dissipation, and is heat neutral on a run.

Its really tough to improve the 7k IMHO.  Its one of the best IS mechs ever made in brawly category.  (they list most wolverines as skirmishers, but since the 7k has more damage and more armor, unlike the standard 6R wolverine that dances around, the 7k goes right to the enemy and brawls--the skirmisher tag it gets feels wrong.  The grasshopper is another mech listed as a skirmisher thats clearly better then that, thus a brawler.)

I think a lot of folks just like longer range guns.  Thus they don't like the 7K.
I on the other hand agree w/ you & my only comment is that they did manage to improve the 7K, IMHO, by making it into the 8C :)
Which is all the Short Range Brawler love AND a C3S for an added reason to be in close.   Love that mech for that role!

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

DevianID

• Captain
Good call on the 8C Hellraiser.  The endosteel to upgrade the SRM6s to streaks is a nice damage boost.  Still just as 'fragile', but the 8C has 42 damage output, compared to 34 average with the 7k, or 38 on the 10D, which is the most expensive, at almost 500 more BV then the 8C for less damage thanks to the 10Ds supercharger and RAC5.

I might swap the c3 for CASE2 on the 8C if its not going to be in a c3 network, but other then that the 8C does appear to be the most damaging wolverine factoring average cluster rolls on the 10D's RAC (as the 10D is in second place in damage), with the 7k in third factoring heat.

Starfury

• Lieutenant
You could always split the difference with an X-Pulse Laser

Isokrates

• Warrant Officer
  • Dare to love the LGR.
Hellraiser and DevianID

You do realise you are comparing your XLE designs with an SFE one, right?

You prefer an XLE mech that emphasises engagement at a distance of... 3 Hexes.
Ok, I'll stich to a mech that is both
a) more survivable
b) is not constrained to being a one show pony with zero contribution anywhere else.

now IF I wanted something more survivable AND with a more potent punch up close in case, then install a LFE and add two medium XPLs. BUT you end up with a mech that costs close to double to one the SFE one.

P.S The wolverine is supposed to be tough and survivable.
With an XLE it becomes rather fragile.

Hellraiser

• Colonel

Ok, I'll stich to a mech that is both
a) more survivable
b) is not constrained to being a one show pony with zero contribution anywhere else.

1.  Fully aware, but it's also not what we were talking about.
2.  Not saying at all that I "prefer" the 7K.   (I DO prefer the 8C but it has something the 7K or this 10M2 doesn't have)
3.  The issue is your billing this as a replacement for the 7K when it doesn't do the 7K (or in my case, the 8C) job as well.
4.  Yes, its a better "skirmisher" w/ the extra range.  It's also got more durability which is great actually.  But it isn't getting in your face & putting out damage the way the 7K (or 8C).
5.  I'll dispute that Tough & Survivable claim, the original 6R w/ its 2 tons ammo, & 1 gun over 9 hexes has never been "tough & survivable".

This mech is a better "skirmisher/duelist", but, as a "Role-player" in a Lance/Company, it isn't improving on the 7K's actual "Role" which is what Devian said & I agreed with.

Isokrates

• Warrant Officer
  • Dare to love the LGR.
It does have more durability, but it is not tough and survivable...
An XLE short range mech is BETTER than a mech that can shoot more times at any range and stay in the battle even when losing a side torso and arm.

Ok
Well I can't agree with that, sorry
The only compromise I can fathom to the design is going LFE, CASE II + 2 MXPLs added.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
1.  Fully aware, but it's also not what we were talking about.
2.  Not saying at all that I "prefer" the 7K.   (I DO prefer the 8C but it has something the 7K or this 10M2 doesn't have)
3.  The issue is your billing this as a replacement for the 7K when it doesn't do the 7K (or in my case, the 8C) job as well.
4.  Yes, its a better "skirmisher" w/ the extra range.  It's also got more durability which is great actually.  But it isn't getting in your face & putting out damage the way the 7K (or 8C).
5.  I'll dispute that Tough & Survivable claim, the original 6R w/ its 2 tons ammo, & 1 gun over 9 hexes has never been "tough & survivable".

This mech is a better "skirmisher/duelist", but, as a "Role-player" in a Lance/Company, it isn't improving on the 7K's actual "Role" which is what Devian said & I agreed with.

Don't compare it to the WVR-6R.  Compare it to the WVR-6M or WVR-6K, both of which ramp up armor protection and close-range firepower.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Hellraiser

• Colonel
Don't compare it to the WVR-6R.  Compare it to the WVR-6M or WVR-6K, both of which ramp up armor protection and close-range firepower.
I don't disagree w/ what they do, but the statement is what a Wolverine is & so in my eyes, that means, OG-6R otherwise your talking about variants.
It's like saying Warhammers are Tough & then say you have to be looking at the 6D & not the 6R.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
I don't disagree w/ what they do, but the statement is what a Wolverine is & so in my eyes, that means, OG-6R otherwise your talking about variants.
It's like saying Warhammers are Tough & then say you have to be looking at the 6D & not the 6R.

When we're talking about the WVR-7K, we're still talking about a variant, and not the mainline published, version of the design.  The -7K, after all, isn't the primary listed variant in the Tech Readout, any more than the -6M or -6K were.

And, with that in mind, it's not like the WVR-6R is some wilting lily glass cannon that can't stand up to enemy fire, either.  It's a 55-ton Introtech 'Mech with 2 tons of ammo and 9.5 tons of armor and a weapons mix that favors close-in rather than ranged fire, just like the mainline Shadow Hawk and Griffin variants.  However, unlike its cousins the Griffin that favor ranged fighting and the Shadow Hawk that doesn't favor any particular range at all, the Wolverine favors closer-in combat, thanks to that SRM-6 and medium laser.

Lycanphoenix

• Master Sergeant
  • Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
    • Message me on Telegram
Wolverine...? You mean "Conjurer 1-IS"? /jk

DevianID

• Captain
Hellraiser and DevianID

I mean, yeah.  The Wolverine 7k has a ton of games under my belt.  They are really hard to kill, regardless of the xl engine.  Part of that is the high tempo.  They dont overheat much, hit accurately, and hit hard.  So, by the time my armor on a 7k's side torso is looking a little thin, I have killed or crippled the enemy.

The version you have is undersinked, and fights like a griffin at range.  If you were trying to skirmish an enemy 7k, both jumping 5 hexes each turn, then the ERPPC at 7 hexes and the Large Pulse at 7 hexes are hitting each other on 10s, so neither side is dealing much damage, and the MML version you have doesnt have the heat to provide LRM support from the MMLs every turn.  But at 3 or less hexes, the 7k is hitting on 8s, has more heat for more missiles and other pulse weapons, while the SFE wolverine here is still looking at 10s to hit.  So the 7k will bully the 10M2 up close, while the 10m2 isnt able to hit accurately at long range to make up for the short ranged damage gap.

Since you get more forward movement then backwards, unless you have IJJS, the 7k should always catch its equal speed target.  At least it has in my games.

Anyway, the whole point of my post was comparing the 7k, a supremely effective short range murder machine, with your 10M2, which loses all the advantages the 7k has over a Griffin.  If this was a wolverine 7M upgrade, OK sure.  But the 7k has a whole thing going where it can bully enemies up close, and the 10M2 lacks that.  If I was the enemy commander, I would much rather see the 10M2 then a 7k... the 10M2 isnt going to backstab and murder me, but the 7k is.