Author Topic: NEW RELEASE: Mini-PDFs for Winter 2018/2019  (Read 41854 times)

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
NEW RELEASE: Mini-PDFs for Winter 2018/2019
« on: 26 October 2018, 11:09:44 »
This thread is for discussion of the cycle of mini-PDF products set for release through the end of 2018 and early 2019.

We'll be linking to new releases both here and over in the Upcoming Releases page, so you won't miss any new product.

To get us started, here are the new releases for Friday, Oct. 26, 2018:

Spotlight On: Unending Faith

"When the Republic was born, not all accepted the dissolution of the Com Guard. When the Dark Age fell, some believed the light of Blake would illuminate the road ahead. Learn the secrets of the Blessed Order and the force with which they hope to gain power at the heart of the Republic."

PLEASE NOTE: At the time of its initial release, this product does not contain the accompanying Alpha Strike cards due to production issues. We will have an updated PDF out as possible; anyone who has previously purchased this product will receive the updated file.

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/spotlight-on-unending-faith

Touring the Stars: Regis Roost

"His widely popular speech decried the Concordat government for not only abusing the right of eminent domain, but also prosecuting a war of aggression against non-planetary dwellers. He ended his speech shouting “Remember Neville!” as Ringer cargo ships approaching Morrison released gravel-sized pellets of titanium."

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-touring-the-stars-regis-roost
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
Re: NEW RELEASE: Mini-PDFs for Winter 2018/2019
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2018, 11:11:08 »
Does ComStar have a right to its own military force?

Are you a Rooster or a Ringer? Why?

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2018, 11:19:01 »
Thanks Cubby!

And as an interesting question, if any Successor states were to donate to ComStar, it would be at their own fault - donated materiel is exactly that. No take-backs!
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2018, 15:49:27 »
Rocks fall, everybody dies.  :D

Also, digging the Blessed Order configuration Omnimechs.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Icerose20

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2018, 16:28:38 »
That more look like Word of Blake then the true Comguards that fought and died for the Inner Sphere against the Clans. 

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2018, 07:08:06 »
Touring the Stars: Regis Roost was a really interesting read - in some ways, it reminded me of The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress. I particularly enjoyed the combination of seeing another Belter-style group outside the Sol system and vested Taurian government interests clashing and generally being unpleasant towards each other. It felt both like something that could've taken place in the Age of War, and a nice way of highlighting that the Taurian Concordat is just as capable of abusing elements of its citizenry as every other nation.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

abou

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 27 October 2018, 07:41:07 »
That more look like Word of Blake then the true Comguards that fought and died for the Inner Sphere against the Clans.
I think that was entirely the point. Fanaticism -- particularly religious fanaticism -- tends to send persons down the same path. It isn't much of a step to go from aggrieved ComStar acolyte, to finding comfort in past religious texts and traditions, to full-on toaster worship.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 09 November 2018, 14:39:54 »
Now Available - Touring the Stars: Hall!

"War has ravaged nearly all of the Inner Sphere’s core planets, and Hall is no exception. Caught between the conquests of empires and the ambitions of warlords, the world’s history is as harsh as its unforgiving deserts, howling canyons and shifting sands. Hall has been at the crossroads of some of mankind’s most brutal wars, conflicts which have left centuries of secrets ready to snare the unready and tempt the unwise."

Purchase at the Catalyst Game Labs Store!

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 10 November 2018, 03:02:53 »
In some ways, this didn't feel as distinctive as some of the TTS series have made other worlds feel, but on the other, it felt like a good example of what I imagine a lot of worlds - particularly border worlds and former Hegemony worlds - are like by the Dark Age, complete with devastated industries and traumatised populations. That made it a very interesting read for me :)

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #9 on: 10 November 2018, 13:37:47 »
I'd like pay little more to get little more in the TTS to be honest. I love them, but i greedy thus i want more for a campaign sort view.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #10 on: 16 November 2018, 18:24:56 »
Now Available - Turning Points: Orbisonia!

The Chancellor of the Capellan Confederation ached to reclaim the long-lost worlds of the Chesterton Confederation for her nation, and the outbreak of the Second Succession War gave her the opportunity for invasion.

Chancellor Ilsa Liao targeted worlds along a wide front, and personally led one of the most feared formations in Capellan history against Orbisonia. Five bloody days in June 2828 turned the tide of the invasion and changed the Confederation forever.

[edit] Fixed link -- Adrian Gideon
« Last Edit: 16 November 2018, 18:54:03 by Adrian Gideon »

abou

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 16 November 2018, 18:29:41 »
That link doesn't seem to work, Cubby. But I can find it in the store.

EDIT: Whoa! Greeted by the Marauder and new Wasp art. Very nice to see. I know this is a "done" subject, but it is nice to see that art in a new publication after the fact.
« Last Edit: 16 November 2018, 18:33:44 by abou »

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 16 November 2018, 19:08:02 »
That link doesn't seem to work, Cubby. But I can find it in the store.

Hm, seems to be working for me. If anyone else is having issues, please let us know.

EDIT: Whoa! Greeted by the Marauder and new Wasp art. Very nice to see. I know this is a "done" subject, but it is nice to see that art in a new publication after the fact.

The Marauder, at least, had to go in. Chancellor Ilsa is specifically commanding a force of Marauders and Warhammers. Glad you enjoyed their presence!

abou

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 16 November 2018, 19:14:42 »
Geeze, reading about Ilsa's command company... she rolls with a wicked crew!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #14 on: 16 November 2018, 22:30:23 »
Amazing. It's a Capellan force from the early Succession Wars, and There's not one dead regiment or formation represented
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #15 on: 16 November 2018, 23:27:52 »
Amazing. It's a Capellan force from the early Succession Wars, and There's not one dead regiment or formation represented

Miracles happen every day

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #16 on: 17 November 2018, 04:12:25 »
Pretty good.  It reminded me of the death of Ian Davion.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #17 on: 17 November 2018, 08:07:38 »
Love the Classics art being included! It a good scenario book!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #18 on: 18 November 2018, 14:18:36 »
After another read through, it's a fine product. I love how the rolling tables are setup. I always had issue when it came to doing weight classes and also the unit make up actually being spelled out what makes up a unit. Like Militia is a combined arms unit, light mech company, vehicle co and infantry.  It really makes difference to me when you know what kind force their fielding.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #19 on: 21 November 2018, 19:18:30 »
Normally I'd have bought the TTS and historical Turning Point by now, but money's a little tight at the moment.  I'll pick them up as soon as I can, honest!  :)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #20 on: 21 November 2018, 19:33:51 »
I have to say the new PDFs have been a fun read.  Plus my co-worker who gets them all printed up nicely for me has enjoyed reading them as well. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: 21 November 2018, 20:56:48 by Valkerie »
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #21 on: 21 November 2018, 20:08:43 »
I quite enjoyed the final bit in Orbisonia from Ilsa Liao's perspective.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 21 November 2018, 20:31:31 »
Just looked at the sample on DTRPG

1) No index?
2) referencing maps that haven't been available for purchase for over a decade.

Still might get it, but at least the second is a near-critical flaw, IMHO. I have most of those maps. A new player? not so much.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 21 November 2018, 20:45:21 »
2) referencing maps that haven't been available for purchase for over a decade.

Still might get it, but at least the second is a near-critical flaw, IMHO. I have most of those maps. A new player? not so much.

It's not it's job to bring in new players.  The PDF lines are for veteran players, the fact they don't have the mass appeal is why they are PDF.
Unfortunately, BattleTech doesn't have a lot of new players, it's appealing to the same veteran players over and over again.  TP: Orbisinia isn't going to change that.  It's not intended to. 

Or just play Alpha Strike (or terrain based BattleTech) and use whatever terrain you have :).

PS. There's no maps currently available in print, so requiring a Turning Point to use those would be impossible anyway?
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #24 on: 21 November 2018, 20:56:31 »
Or just play Alpha Strike (or terrain based BattleTech) and use whatever terrain you have :).
I'll back that up.  I have envisioned Alpha Strike scenarios with each of them so far.  Even more so with TP:Orbisinia.  It's pretty much laid out for it the way I read it.  All kinds of possibilities there. ;)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 30 November 2018, 14:21:38 »
Now Available - Spotlight On: Holt's Hilltoppers

Born in the fires of Operation: GUERRERO, Holt’s Hilltoppers took on missions from the Periphery to the Chaos March, displaying grit and tenacity to rival any famed mercenary command.

Tiring of the vagabond life, the Hilltoppers found a new home outside the boundaries of the Inner Sphere. But in the Fronc Reaches, safety is always in short supply.

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-spotlight-on-holts-hilltoppers

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #26 on: 30 November 2018, 14:45:16 »
Is there a paint scheme for them?  I honestly really like the quartered pattern for the .gifs in MM- two color (Red, Blue and . . . Yellow?) quarters and two black quarters.  Its sharp & clean, I was just hoping it came off the description of the unit.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #27 on: 30 November 2018, 14:55:04 »
that nightstar. good lord.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #28 on: 30 November 2018, 16:44:30 »
I'll be honest, I'm not particularly fond of this one. A fairly middling mercenary unit who did most of their work in the periphery with two clan omnis and a tricked out clan tech nightstar (having actually fought the clans only once)? Feels excessive to me.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #29 on: 30 November 2018, 16:46:44 »
What size is the unit?