Author Topic: The reasons to prefer Quickstrike over Battletech.  (Read 25794 times)

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
Re: The reasons to prefer Quickstrike over Battletech.
« Reply #60 on: 21 November 2014, 08:00:10 »
The problem that seems to happen that the systems like alpha strike offer not enough in depth gameplay for campaigns where players want to repair mechs
One of the strengths to Alpha Strike is the lack of depth, which would allow fast campaigns.
Though Weirdo said it best: they can play how they want.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: 21 November 2014, 13:01:05 »
I think it depends on the campaign type - you can't really convert to StratOps level of repairs where you're tracking each individual part but it should be easy enough to use the abstracted warchest point system used by the Chaos Campaign for replacements/repairs.

And honestly, if your players don't want to abstract out repairs, they probably won't want to abstract out combat to the AS level either. I mean, I'm sure there might be a few players that are more into AccountantTech over BattleTech and want the repair details but not the battle details, but I'm guessing they're a small minority.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #62 on: 21 November 2014, 14:26:08 »
Campaign tracking really has more options now compared to the old FASA days.
With StratOps, Chaos Campaign, or even Alpha Strike's take on it there's plenty of complexity scales that groups can use or inspire from.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #63 on: 21 November 2014, 17:28:55 »
You can always play out in Alpha Strike, then downconvert to TW-scale to see what damage you need to repair.

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #64 on: 21 November 2014, 18:01:11 »
One of the strengths to Alpha Strike is the lack of depth, which would allow fast campaigns.
Though Weirdo said it best: they can play how they want.

Yeah sure, but I´m just about to make up my mind how I could use game systems to go along with a campaign that I´m writing at the moment. I´m done with maps, missions, events etc. I want to load it up here as soon as me and my wife are done proof playing.

Thing is I´m having trouble to keep things at bay talking about size of the single matches. And now my hope was to use something like Alpha Strike to handle the bigger matches but at the same time I cannot use the repair rules afterwards because Alpha Strike doesn´t allow detailed damage reports like Total Warfare. :-\ :( >:(

Edit: but maybe I know a solution for this 8)
« Last Edit: 21 November 2014, 18:03:54 by Domi1981 »

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #65 on: 21 November 2014, 18:32:29 »
Yeah sure, but I´m just about to make up my mind how I could use game systems to go along with a campaign that I´m writing at the moment. I´m done with maps, missions, events etc. I want to load it up here as soon as me and my wife are done proof playing.

Thing is I´m having trouble to keep things at bay talking about size of the single matches. And now my hope was to use something like Alpha Strike to handle the bigger matches but at the same time I cannot use the repair rules afterwards because Alpha Strike doesn´t allow detailed damage reports like Total Warfare. :-\ :( >:(

Well, if you have Strategic Operations, it covers rules for converting back to TW-scale from BF/AS-scale

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #66 on: 22 November 2014, 05:08:03 »
Hm, okay. Will take a look on that. Its just that I want to create a game experience for people who want to play a campaign, with all the reapir and salvage fun but don´t have time all week long to deal with the whole spectrum of the BT rules. I mean its nice that its possible to go into details if someone wants but in the end people want to play - not work. Note that my wife is a senior accountant and even she wants her weekend :))

Edit: YEAH 100. post [fiddle] {>{>
« Last Edit: 22 November 2014, 07:34:05 by Domi1981 »

Register