Author Topic: Was Anastasius Focht really TRANS?  (Read 757 times)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Was Anastasius Focht really TRANS?
« on: 08 May 2024, 20:25:20 »
I saw this disturbing bit of nonsense online, and am positive I'm being hoaxed.  I wanted to confirm here that this is not true, and make people aware of this so they can start legal action or something.

That said - is there something to this?
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
Re: Was Anastasius Focht really TRANS?
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2024, 22:12:47 »
Legal action? Against who for what?
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2024, 22:26:45 »
I'm not sure frankly.

That said, and having listened to the Clownfish episode, I admit to a bit of panicked questioning.

Also, I think a PM would be more appropriate to this conversation.

*PM not accepted.

Well - is there any truth to this?  Because I don't dare comment further.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2024, 22:30:11 by Red Pins »
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

Swankmotron

• Freelance Writer
  • Corporal
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2024, 09:20:53 »
I saw this disturbing bit of nonsense online, and am positive I'm being hoaxed.  I wanted to confirm here that this is not true, and make people aware of this so they can start legal action or something.

That said - is there something to this?

The Blood of Kerensky trilogy implied in the text that Anastasius Focht could have been trans, and no one blinked an eye about it in the universe.

Some of the folks who monetize anger online tried to cut pieces of conversations out of context and tried to create an online riot. I don't think there's any legal action to be taken against these grifters, but it would be nice if their misinformation and bad takes could suffer consequences.

But the whole point of the matter is that trans people have existed in BattleTech since the beginning and it was normal and no one cares, so why should we?

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2024, 10:26:15 »
I gave away my books and last read them decades ago so I can't confirm any more without a massive search of my digital copies, but IIRC Ulric speculating about who the man might be (in book 3, to Phelan, IIRC) - there was no further evidence given, and the topic lasted only two or so lines.

I invite you to read the article, https://fandompulse.com/2024/05/06/battletech-writer-bryan-young-lies-and-claims-popular-character-anastasius-focht-has-always-been-trans/, because you seem to be mentioned prominently.

I feel this is nonsense.  Even Stackpole has apparently butted in and expressed that no, that was not the case, although I found and lost the article somewhere in my memory hole.  Reddit, I think?  (Which explains a lot about this nonsense, I grant you.)

Why does this suggestion exist?  Please, Adrian, tell me this is not being even considered.  It seems patently absurd yet plausible we might see some kind of retcon of this nonsense and I find it disturbing. 

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2024, 12:23:36 »
I apologize Red Pins, when I click on my messages I get “syntax error, unexpected end of file” and can’t access them.

Let me get back to you on this, as I’d like to give an answer that won’t fuel more internet bullshit. Let me leave you with one thing until then.

This is manufactured outrage. Vultures make money off that now. I’m sorry you bought into it, and now by posting here in a huff, you’re helping it spread. People make money off of it, and now they’ll make more with those links, and even more people will jump in and publish their own articles and videos. You’re not making a dime off it. Neither am I. Yet now we have to waste our time discussing it, and get emotionally worked up. My  advice is simply enjoy what you enjoy, walk away from things you don’t, and best stop reading and watching things that TELL you that the people and companies that make the things you care about are working against you or actively trying to upset you.

-Ray
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2024, 14:48:34 »
I completely agree, and appreciate being able to discuss this by PM. 

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2024, 22:06:03 »
I'll drop a note here when it's fixed.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Register