Author Topic: (Answered) Battlemech shutdown roll  (Read 1956 times)

SirHatz

• Recruit
(Answered) Battlemech shutdown roll
« on: 23 November 2022, 16:23:06 »
In the battletech compendium, which is the ruleset i spent most of my playtime, it clearly states that each heat tier shutdown roll is a 1 off,  if you pass you pass, until you raise to a new shutdown level, or drop down then back up to the current again..   in TW this is not stated, and gives the impression that each turn you are at a shutdown tier requires a roll during the heat phase. My question is whether this has changed over time to be a persistant status, or if the old rule is still valid...
« Last Edit: 24 November 2022, 18:14:39 by Xotl »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: Battlemech shutdown roll
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2022, 23:01:19 »
From Total Warfare, pg 160 (ninth printing, 2021)
A conscious MechWarrior can override the power plant’s safety shutdown procedure, as indicated by the Avoid number listed with the effect, though shutdown cannot be avoided at 30 or more heat points. If his ’Mech’s heat is at or above 14, the player rolls 2D6 once during the Heat Phase. If the roll result is equal to or greater than the highest Avoid number corresponding to the ’Mech’s heat level, the pilot avoids shutdown for that turn. If heat accumulation reaches two or more trigger levels in one turn, roll 2D6 only once, against the highest Avoid number.

From the BattleMech Manual, pg 52 (fifth printing, 2021)
A conscious MechWarrior can override the power plant’s safety shutdown procedure, as indicated by the “Avoid” Target Number listed with the effect, though shutdown cannot be avoided at 30 or more heat points. If their ’Mech’s Heat Scale is at or above 14, the player rolls 2D6 once during the Heat Phase. If the roll result is equal to or greater than the highest Avoid Target Number corresponding to the ’Mech’s heat level, the pilot avoids shutdown for that turn. If heat accumulation reaches two or more trigger levels in one turn, roll 2D6 only once, against the highest Avoid Target Number.

So you must roll for the highest shutdown roll based on your heat level every turn whether you were at that level the previous turn or not.

Incidentally, this was kept in the BattleTech Compendium: The Rules of Warfare (1994), but changed to the current form in BattleTech Master Rules (1998)
« Last Edit: 23 November 2022, 23:03:57 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Register