Author Topic: Battle Armor of the Week - Sloth  (Read 31405 times)

sillybrit

• Major
Battle Armor of the Week - Sloth
« on: 19 October 2011, 00:16:00 »
Sloth - Wikimedia Commons, Ontley

Umm, hang on a moment...

Sloth Battle Armor - Technical Readout 3058U page 35

I cannot state enough how much I wish I could joke that you can't spell "Sloth" without saying "loathe" - if only one or both words were just spelled a little differently. I'm not a great fan of quad Battle Armor at the best of times, with the Sloth earning itself further bad check marks in my eyes due to its sub-standard performance, but as one of the first suits the Inner Sphere introduced into service, and of a type that not even the Clans had developed, I suppose that I maybe shouldn't be too cruel. Even if I sometimes want to be.

Developed by Lyran engineers working at the New Avalon Institute of Science, the Sloth can certainly be considered an innovative design, being the first Spheroid Heavy Battle Armor - and the first Heavy introduced into the game - as well as the first quadruped suit. Unfortunately, that's as far as the innovation goes and the design definitely performs like an early attempt at producing Battle Armor, notably due to being the most underweight canon suit in existence after the later construction rules formalized the design of Battle Armor. In contrast to the scouting role intended for the Infiltrator Mk I, the Sloth was designed purely for combat, so the engineers wanted to install as much weaponry as possible while still maintaining a stable firing platform, with the result being the revolutionary quad chassis. One key consequence of this body style is that the operator drives the Sloth like a small four-legged vehicle, rather than wearing it like an armor exoskeleton, although this has no effect within gameplay.

According to Technical Readout 3058U, both the Sloth and Infiltrator Mk I incorporated captured Clan technology, with the Sloth entry noting that the 1st Somerset Strikers were the ones who had managed to obtain some Elementals for study. As explained in the Infiltrator Mk I's Battle Armor of the Week article, the 1st Somerset Strikers sourcebook goes into further detail, claiming that the capture occurred on Twycross just as the planet was conquered by the Jade Falcons. Unfortunately, that doesn't allow enough time for the prototypes of the Infiltrator Mk I and Sloth to have their first exposure to combat on Waldorff V, another event in the Strikers sourcebook and one that's confirmed at least in the case of the Infiltrator Mk I's Technical Readout 3058U write-up. One possibility is that the 1st Somerset Strikers sourcebook is incorrect - which isn't an issue since it's now acknowledged as in-universe entertainment rather than a true historical account - while an alternative answer would be that the prototypes are purely Inner Sphere in origin, with only the full production versions incorporating improvements taken from the Elemental. Either background will work, and for the sake of further development and gameplay it matters little which one is correct.

In comparison to the other designs that were published so early in the history of BattleTech, the Sloth has remained remarkably consistent, it was even listed as weighing 1.5 tons when it first appeared in the 1st Somerset Strikers sourcebook. The Pop-up Mines, a weapon system unique to the Sloth, are the only feature that has been revised, gaining an automatic critical hit check in the BattleTech Master Rules, a trait that carried over into the current Total War rules, which have also added grounded aerospace craft as a viable target for the weapon. Other than that one change specific to the Sloth, its design and use have only been effected by the gradual re-balancing of the general Battle Armor rules. That consistency is about as good as it gets for the Sloth, which is a rather mediocre design otherwise. Armed with a pair of Small Lasers in addition to the mines, the Sloth lacks any sort of ranged firepower, having to close to 90 meters or less to be able to inflict any damage. Faster than its Infiltrator Mk I partner, its ground speed does allow it to keep pace with Elementals or walking Assault 'Mechs such as the AS7-D Atlas, but the former will outstrip the Sloth in rough terrain while the latter can simply outrun it. Just as bad, its lacking of manipulators means that it's unable to inflict Anti-'Mech attacks or catch a ride on a passing friendly OmniMech or OmniVehicle, greatly restricting its effectiveness compared to an equivalent bipedal design. Limited to transports with an appropriately sized infantry bay, the Sloth's strategic mobility is low, but given its poor combat effectiveness you'd have to ask why you'd want to bother carrying it long distances to a battle.

Lacking jump jets, Sloth squads lose out on the +1 target movement modifier that they provide, and it can also struggle in rough terrain to achieve the additional +1 modifier for the distance moved, which together make the design an easier target to hit. This wouldn't be so bad if the suit possessed stealth or heavy armor to compensate, but neither is true and the Sloth can be destroyed by a mere six points of damage, or a pair of Small Laser hits from an Elemental if you want to consider a likely early foe. Offensively, the Small Lasers are a decent start, but the Pop-up Mine system is a bizarre choice. Presumably intended to compensate for the lack of Anti-'Mech capability, it's a point-blank one-shot weapon that does twice the damage of a SRM and can inflict a critical hit, but cannot be used simultaneously with the lasers and also weighs as much as a SRM2 launcher with four shots - I know what weapon system I'd rather have! If a Sloth was ever dumb enough to attempt to engage Clan OmniMechs, the sight was rarely pretty, but at least it would be brief given the one-shot kill capability of both types of Clan Medium Laser; the Blackhawk/Nova was a particularly potent Sloth killer back in the day, and the battlefield has only gotten more dangerous for the suit as new weapon systems have become available, among both the Clan and the Inner Sphere.

jymset: The performance discrepancy of these two oldies is illustrated by a review in context of the current construction rules. As was established last week,  these rules were clearly created with the Elemental representing a standard. The Sloth on the other hand did not. In fact, the Sloth - unchanged as it is in regards to updated game rules - is the single least efficient existing suit in regards to updated construction rules. It is actually 270 kgs underweight. All other design choices aside, this very fact hobbles the Sloth more than any other battle armor featured in 3058U (the pre-construction rules batch) and beyond.

Instead of looking for ways to improve the baseline suit, the empty weight allows for an interesting meta-view: with prototype armour, the Sloth would come in at almost exactly the weight maximum for its heavy class. When the design was applied to the construction rules - or vice versa - this was definitely known. As such, the simple fact that it does not carry this obsolete armour is highly suggestive in terms of the Sloth reaching production acceptance (which indeed it did in the Lyran half of the defunct Federated Commonwealth during the years leading up to the Civil War). Unfortunately, this acceptance reflected a temporary lack of alternatives rather than any satisfactory performance…

New technology was eventually applied to the Sloth, in the form of the Interdictor variant that was introduced by both the AFFS and LAAF during the Jihad. Possibly a refit of existing suits, given that neither faction appears to have been mad enough to resume production, the Sloth (Infiltrator) simply replaces the lasers with extended range models and swaps the mine system for an ECM module, with the sub-standard armor and mobility remaining unaltered, although at last the suit is equipped closer to the maximum that the chassis can hold. Apparently intended to interfere with Word of Blake C3 networks, the idea is good, but I question the platform being used. Although the ECM system can be used to generate Ghost Targets to help the Sloth unit survive as it heads towards its target, once (if) it gets there it'll have to switch over to the normal jamming mode, thereby making it more vulnerable to destruction. Personally, I'd have suggested mounting an LRM launcher instead of the ER Small Lasers and turned the Sloth into a fire support platform, filling the role of C3 interdictor with appropriately modified Cavaliers or IS Standards, that could at least Swarm the target while jamming its C3 and have a better chance of surviving the experience too.

When introduced into AFFC service, the Sloth was intended as a direct counter to the Elemental, presumably with the belief that the twin Small Lasers compared to the single weapon on the Elemental would compensate for the lighter armor and allow the Sloth to overcome its prey before the tables were turned. Well, you know what they say about good intentions, because typically an Elemental is going to burn a Sloth into a molten hulk. The Sloth needs four hits to kill an Elemental, while the Clan suit needs just two Small Laser hits to claim victory, but with the Sloth carrying double the armament the match looks equal, coming down to luck and skill, right? Unfortunately, those Lyran engineers in the ivory towers of NAIS didn't take into account the greater difficulty of hitting a target that is guaranteed to be able to bound 90 meters at a time, compared to one that can only cross that same distance in relatively smooth terrain. Assuming clear hexes and short range, the best chance the Sloth is going to get, a Regular operator will be needing 7+ to hit, while his Clan counterpart will be needing to roll just 5+, and that's with a poorly skilled Elemental who's probably on his or way to a Solhama unit. In the roleplaying game the situation is even worse for the Sloth, since firing arcs then come into play, meaning that the Elemental can easily attack without suffering any return fire due to the Sloth's forward facing armament. If the Elemental is armed with a Flamer of Machine Gun, the balance does shift, but in the above scenario both are still going to require three to four Turns to kill their opponent on average, and the Clan suit can always opt to use its missiles if any remain to regain the advantage. When operating as a squad versus a Point - and let's be fair and assume both units are equal in strength - the outlook is even bleaker for the Sloth given the random allocation of hits within a Battle Armor unit, since the need for only two Small Laser shots to kill a Sloth means that you're much more likely to get that fatal second shot, than the fourth such hit needed to down an Elemental. Once you grant the Elementals their normal, superior skill levels, together with the added advantage of five suit Points versus four suit squads, then the Sloth's prospects become very bleak indeed.

When used against other Battle Armor, the Sloth can be more successful against some designs, particularly those with armor as light as its own or those who also lack jump jets, and it can even find some use against vehicles, with a squad of Sloths being able to exploit gaps in a target's armor to inflict critical hits. However, its lack of Swarm capability means that it falls short of the performance of similar bipedal suits in this role as well, so the Sloth has never really found a combat niche that it could comfortably fill, let alone dominate. With the introduction of the ubiquitous IS Standard Battle Armor, a design that could provide the AFFC with the trooper suit they required to undertake general combat duties, the Sloth was all but obsolete within two years of its first step onto the battlefield. Never produced in great numbers, the Suns transferred all production to their Lyran partners prior to the breakup of the Federated Commonwealth, and even that ended once the Fenrir entered service in 3060. Continuing their fascination with quadruped Battle Armor, Lyran engineers had continued their work with the concept and introduced first the heavier Fenrir and then the lighter Rottweiler five years later. To this day, the LAAF remains the only Successor State military that prefers the quad over bipedal suits, although the Blakists did develop the Shedu and the Republic have picked up some of the Lyran designs. Like the Sloth, the Fenrir continues the theme of low armor, although it is faster and mounts much more firepower, with the added flexibility of a Configurable Turret Mount. The Rottweiler, on the other foot,opts to add some extra protection, with even the original models able to survive a hit by a Clan Medium Laser, plus a basic stealth capability which combined with its high speed means that it has a much better chance of surviving combat. Between those two designs, the LAAF have little need for the Sloth and the introduction of the Interdictor variant shows just how desperate they must have been during the Jihad.

Amazingly, despite being out of production for decades - assuming this doesn't change when we finally get Objectives: Lyran Alliance - the Sloth is still serving in the Dark Age era, with the Interdictor having also spread beyond the borders of the former Federated Commonwealth states and into the ranks of mercenaries and the Republic of the Sphere. The latter at least have the excuse of believing that the Demon Medium Tank is a good design (erm, which it is!) to explain their judgment or lack thereof, and I suppose there must be mercenaries who are in such dire straits that they will use whatever they can get, but I struggle to understand why any military would willingly acquire the Sloth unless it was to use them for target practice or foot stools for 'Mechs.

Out of all the early Inner Sphere designs, the Sloth - it has to be said - is the worst in my experience, but I guess something had to be the floor for the all the others to stand upon. As much as I've used the design, even successfully on the odd occasion, and as much as I would wish to say even one positive thing about the Sloth, some bright gem in its ocean of mediocrity, there really is nothing there. Nothing within the game that is, but taking a step back there is perhaps something it can do to help the player become a better user of Battle Armor, if you are willing. Playing the Sloth, to the point that even your opponent is sick of them, can help you learn to be the dirty, sneaky, backstabbing expletive that every good Battle Armor operator needs to be to survive and thrive in the world of stompy robots. You may not enjoy the experience, you may even come to hate the Sloth, but you will hopefully come away the better player, and on the miraculous day that you do win a game thanks to your Sloths, that victory will taste all the much sweeter.

Next up:
  • GD Scout
  • GD Standard
  • Raiden
  • Kage
  • Kanazuchi
  • Gnome

EDIT: Fixed a link
« Last Edit: 19 October 2011, 08:19:58 by sillybrit »

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
Re: Battle Armor of the Week - Sloth
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2011, 03:44:07 »
A few words about the Interdictor variant (since I designed it ;)):
It isn't meant to run directly to a unit and jam the C3 network that way. I imagined the suit being used in an urban environment and jamming the connection between two units. It's not a perfect way, but if you are hard pressed enough to fall back to using Sloths in the first place, you can't be picky. They simply had mothballed Sloth BAs lying around in a dark, daaaaaaark warehouse, so they send them to the troops while better suits where coming out of the production lines (but not nearly fast enough to replace all the losses).
Also, I didn't imagine the Interdictor variant being a new production model, but being refitted to be able to do at least something useful. The writers can still change that, but that's what I imagined when I designed it.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2011, 04:54:38 »
How does the Sloth perform against infantry?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 19 October 2011, 05:44:13 »
I imagine with TW rules, very badly. Two single-point weapons, with worse range than many infantry weapons. Even under BMR rules, an infantry platoon should have little trouble with one, and not a lot more with 4.

I always though the best thing to do with surplus Sloths would be convert them to cargo carriers. Being quads, they'd be easier to handle, they could carry upwards of a ton of cargo, and provide superior protection - an ideal unit for supporting and supplying infantry and BA units in the field.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #4 on: 19 October 2011, 05:48:40 »
I first saw this BA on Battletech the series fighting alongside the Somerset Strikers!
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #5 on: 19 October 2011, 07:25:25 »
I have a soft spot for the Sloth, and not just becuse I'm a fan of the cartoon.

First up, there's really no way that the Sloth is a good suit. It's not even a passable one. It's pretty terribad and lacking in redeeming features. I don't belive that the pop-up mine dispenser has been used on any other suits (has it?) and even then it's a dubious weapon at the best of times.

So why do I like it? Simply put, its place in-universe.

The Sloth is a Zero-Generation suit. It was created without a complete understanding of Clan technology in general and Battle Armour in specific. It's a prototype rushed to the field to counteract a technology that was not fully understood and only recently encoutered. If taken in that context, then it's actually quite an interesting little design, one that, while not that good in and of itself, paved the way for many others to come.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 19 October 2011, 16:20:34 »
A few words about the Interdictor variant (since I designed it ;)):
It isn't meant to run directly to a unit and jam the C3 network that way. I imagined the suit being used in an urban environment and jamming the connection between two units. It's not a perfect way, but if you are hard pressed enough to fall back to using Sloths in the first place, you can't be picky. They simply had mothballed Sloth BAs lying around in a dark, daaaaaaark warehouse, so they send them to the troops while better suits where coming out of the production lines (but not nearly fast enough to replace all the losses).
Also, I didn't imagine the Interdictor variant being a new production model, but being refitted to be able to do at least something useful. The writers can still change that, but that's what I imagined when I designed it.

The problem I've found using Battle Armor to attempt to jam C3 networks is the small area effect of BA ECM. You have to be in a hex on the exact LOS, as opposed to the leeway 'Mech-scale jammers have with their greater range, and even if you do block that one connection to the rest of the C3 network, it's all too easy to trace a path to different unit in the network, even if the Battle Armor is standing in an adjacent hex.

Moving an ECM equipped Battle Armor squad into the same hex as a 'Mech will take down all possible C3 links and does shield the squad from being fired upon by its target, although melee attacks or B-Pods/M-Pods are still possible. The issue of them keeping pace with the 'Mech, and thus continuing jamming for multiple Turns, is why I prefer bipedal suits for the role, since they can simply Swarm and go along for the ride, while also attacking the target in subsequent Turns.

I agree with your intention for the design, that the Infiltrator was a unit put into service out of desperation, using whatever they could lay their hands on. Although, I must say I'm surprised that any Sloths were in good enough condition to be taken from mothballs and refitted. I always imagined that when they were retired for later suits, the troops did unto them what the guys in Office Space did to the fax machine.  :)

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 19 October 2011, 19:48:35 »
I imagine with TW rules, very badly. Two single-point weapons, with worse range than many infantry weapons. Even under BMR rules, an infantry platoon should have little trouble with one, and not a lot more with 4.

Actually Pg 216 and 218 state respectively that "Damage done by one infantry unit to another always equals the standard damage inflicted: it cannot be reduced by using the Non-Infantry Weapon Damage Against Infantry Table." (generic infantry refers to both BA and unarmored, strictly unarmored infantry rules use 'conventional infantry'), and "If the target is a conventional infantry platoon, it's controlling player simply applies the damage" (BA section rule)

Remember, that 'small laser' isn't something ripped out of the trietary armaments of a Warhammer, it is an infantry Support Laser, which uses standard Small Laser stats for tabletop games.

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 19 October 2011, 20:14:21 »
However page 215 says:

"Once a non-conventional infantry unit has made a successful attack against a conventional infantry unit, consult the Number of Conventional Troopers Hit column on the Non-Infantry Weapon Damage Against Infantry Table (see p. 216) and compare it to the type and damage value of each weapon that successfully strikes the target to determine how many troops have been eliminated."

Clearly, Battle Armor counts as "non-conventional infantry" and so would have to consult the Non-Infantry Weapon Damage Against Infantry Table.

The rule on page 216 doesn't qualify or explain what it means by "infantry", so I would be guided by the above quoted rule, interpreting the use of "infantry" in the Damage from Other Infantry Units rule to mean "conventional infantry". I recognize the wording of the rules could be clearer and I believe the issue has come up before, and I even recall it was interpreted the other way about 5 or 6 years ago, but my memory may be failing on that point.

The rule on page 218 refers specifically to melee attacks by Battle Armor equipped with vibro-claws against infantry. Since vibro-claws do not appear on the Non-Infantry Weapon Damage Against Infantry Table on page 216, there's no contradiction in the ruling allowing them to inflict full damage against conventional infantry. In any case, since it's one kill per claw, ie. one kill per attack, there would still be no contradiction, because all weapons always inflict at least a minimum of one point of damage against conventional infantry as the Non-Infantry Weapon Damage Against Infantry Table notes state "round all
fractions up".

tzu13

• Corporal
  • Xin Frickin' Sheng
« Reply #9 on: 19 October 2011, 20:34:21 »
Great article, sillybrit. One flaw you forgot to mention (among the many) was its singular ability to be defeated by high curbing thanks to the leg design.  ;)

The lurker formerly known as Tzu13

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 19 October 2011, 20:44:49 »
However page 215 says:

"Once a non-conventional infantry unit has made a successful attack against a conventional infantry unit, consult the Number of Conventional Troopers Hit column on the Non-Infantry Weapon Damage Against Infantry Table (see p. 216) and compare it to the type and damage value of each weapon that successfully strikes the target to determine how many troops have been eliminated."

Clearly, Battle Armor counts as "non-conventional infantry" and so would have to consult the Non-Infantry Weapon Damage Against Infantry Table.

The rule on page 216 doesn't qualify or explain what it means by "infantry", so I would be guided by the above quoted rule, interpreting the use of "infantry" in the Damage from Other Infantry Units rule to mean "conventional infantry". I recognize the wording of the rules could be clearer and I believe the issue has come up before, and I even recall it was interpreted the other way about 5 or 6 years ago, but my memory may be failing on that point.

Except the section I quote on pg 216 is under the heading 'Attacks from Other Infantry Units'.  So the first section you quoted is the general rule, and pg 216 is a specific exception carved out of it.

Also pg 214
Conventional and Battle Armor Infantry: As defined under Units (pg 20) in these rules the term infantry refers to any infantry unit, whether conventional or battle armor.  If the rules refer to only one type of infantry, the text will stipulate either conventional or battle armor infantry.

The rule on page 218 refers specifically to melee attacks by Battle Armor equipped with vibro-claws against infantry. Since vibro-claws do not appear on the Non-Infantry Weapon Damage Against Infantry Table on page 216, there's no contradiction in the ruling allowing them to inflict full damage against conventional infantry. In any case, since it's one kill per claw, ie. one kill per attack, there would still be no contradiction, because all weapons always inflict at least a minimum of one point of damage against conventional infantry as the Non-Infantry Weapon Damage Against Infantry Table notes state "round all
fractions up".

You are reading the wrong section, my quote is under the heading of the BA rules 'Non-Missile Attacks'.
« Last Edit: 19 October 2011, 20:56:05 by Nikas_Zekeval »

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 19 October 2011, 21:38:33 »
Well then, an errata request had better be raised for the section on page 215, because that's been used as the overriding rule by every player I've known over the past few years.

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #12 on: 23 October 2011, 11:19:09 »
     Amazingly, despite being out of production for decades - assuming this doesn't change when we finally get Objectives: Lyran Alliance - the Sloth is still serving in the Dark Age era, with the Interdictor having also spread beyond the borders of the former Federated Commonwealth states and into the ranks of mercenaries and the Republic of the Sphere.

Well, well, things changed faster than we expected. Still, I have to wonder why the Federated Suns decided to start production.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 23 October 2011, 11:57:32 »
The Suns restarted production?!  :o That goes beyond "WTF?!" and travels about another 10-15 miles.

"Desperate" doesn't even remotely cover how bad the situation must be for the AFFS if they're building the Sloth again. I could sort of understand if the Lyrans do it, which is why I mentioned them in the article, since they have a longer history of manufacturing the design and have such warm and fuzzy feeling for quads in general, but the Suns?

I would presume desperation and the need to rapidly build up their Battle Armor forces to compensate for the reductions in the AFFS' 'Mech corps would be the reason, but personally I'd rather put the IS Standard back into production, assuming that they couldn't just expand the production lines for other designs and instead had to re-use old construction rigs and tools that were just laying around in an abandoned shed somewhere. Although given that NAIS were the only known Sloth manufacturer in the Suns, and that they got slagged big time, I'd find the survival of Sloth facilties to be somewhat dubious, but that's just me.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 23 October 2011, 16:26:25 »
Its rather odd, because the people building the Sloth are building the Cavalier, Grenadier and Infiltrator Mk II as well. So its not like its some upstart startup company that was looking for a defunct design to build.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 23 October 2011, 16:31:02 »
Its not great, but if they're going to put it back into production, at least use the chassis to its fullest as far as weapons and armour. 

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 23 October 2011, 16:49:36 »
I would hope that it'll at least be the Infiltrator variant.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #17 on: 23 October 2011, 17:04:09 »
Nice article sillybrit, I'd agree the Sloth is an awful unit I've only ever used it once and I don't think I hit anything with it at all.

FedSuns producing is a surprise would be nice to see what they could do maybe with improved stealth armour and a MagShot or a Light Recoiless Rifle.  If its the standard suit I pity the poor users, I'd rather have PBIs
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #18 on: 23 October 2011, 18:27:17 »
I'm hoping its at least a modernised version of the thing.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #19 on: 23 October 2011, 18:50:12 »
The FS producing the Sloth is the BA equivalent of building a RetroTech mech. It may not be pretty, but it works and it's better than nothing.

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #20 on: 24 October 2011, 01:33:15 »
This is one time where I'm not sure I agree with that statement.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 24 October 2011, 12:43:15 »
The FS producing the Sloth is the BA equivalent of building a RetroTech mech. It may not be pretty, but it works and it's better than nothing.

Eh, not exactly. When a company starts to build RetroTech `Mechs its usually because the `Mech factory they bought `Mechs from has been destroyed, or is unable to ship that faction modern `Mechs. Then a company that doesn't make `Mechs refits/builds a factory to build Primitive `Mechs in order to have some atleast.

Its usually a measure of last resort for a company that doesn't have experience.

The Sloth would be like a company that's producing the Warlord and Devastator and Falconer to decide that they need to produce the 3025 Rifleman.

Sellsword

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 24 October 2011, 15:54:07 »
I suspect Davion is producing the sloth to pass off on their Mercs.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #23 on: 24 October 2011, 18:38:59 »
Your average squad gets what? 1 Small Laser per 7 guys? At best 2 per 7? Think of them more as close fire support for infantry formations.

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 24 October 2011, 18:49:37 »
One note about the Sloth Interdictor. Remember that there are four ECM suites in the squad. Each can be doing something different.
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
« Reply #25 on: 24 October 2011, 19:08:37 »

I for one would rather take my chances with a helmet and flak jacket than stick myself in that walking coffin.

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 24 October 2011, 19:17:35 »
One note about the Sloth Interdictor. Remember that there are four ECM suites in the squad. Each can be doing something different.

Say again what now?  :o

Holy crapdoodle, that's a potential strength 4 jamming field, or an automatic +3 hit penalty on top of the base Ghost Target penalty if they all do the same mode, or does only 1 count for each mode, but you could have one generating Ghost Targets, one ECM, one ECCM and one spare?

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 24 October 2011, 20:23:08 »

They don't fall under the whole "1 active ECM per unit" as a 4 person unit?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #28 on: 24 October 2011, 20:32:13 »
Is thewre a lot of "last resort" about it? Probably. However, as a "zero-generation" suit, the Sloth is still cheaper and easier to produce then more modern battlesuits (like, any that aren't the Waddle), and during the Jihad it wasn't like people could affort to be picky.

The Sloth gave the AFFs a souce of cheap, easy to build and easy to replace suits, allowing them to make up losses and keep units at strength. And as crappy a suit as it is, there's still plenty of advantages in a Sloth squad over a conventional infantry platoon, one way or another.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #29 on: 30 October 2011, 00:15:16 »
FedSuns producing is a surprise would be nice to see what they could do maybe with improved stealth armour and a MagShot or a Light Recoiless Rifle. 
A few years ago after I got HMBA I created a version that swaps the SL's for Magshots & the pop up mine for an SRM launcher.   A while back on the old boards I think I saw Cray post the exact same version that I had made.  It makes it quite effective w/ 3 guns that hit 9 hexes.

I'd rather have PBIs
I think the PBIs would rather have the armor to absorb a 5 point hit myself.

I'm glad you said this because I wasn't sure the rules worked this way.
That is quite powerful.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #30 on: 31 October 2011, 00:13:13 »
I'd still like to see 'em used as SUVs - Sloth Utility Vehicles.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 01 November 2011, 00:03:38 »
This I agree with.

I did have a mad image of a pintle-mounted weapon up on the Sloth's back, with an infantryman up there operating it ... but that was getting silly. Surely it would be possible to mount armoured sponsons?

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 01 November 2011, 00:58:18 »
'Mech foot stools, I tell you, foot stools!

It is a pity that the rules don't allow Battle Armor to carry a passenger or two, whether for medevac or gunners, but by using Mission Equipment bays it's possible to give them a large cargo capacity. I did have an Assault quad called the Infantry Support Walker (or something like that; it was on the forum archive, so I presume it's lost now) that carried half a ton of supplies plus a variety of heavy support weapons, to allow each infantry platoon to effectively have its own fire support "squad" and supply "truck", all in one suit. A similar concept could work for the Sloth, although the rules obviously don't support the concept of mixing single Battle Armor directly into a conventional infantry platoon.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 01 November 2011, 14:34:19 »
I likethem for RPG value.  They're the sort of suit (along with, maybe, IS Standard) that I could see a noncanon merc group swing more than a squad of.  Since suits, not bodies is the limiting factor, I'd rather have a platoon of Sloths than a platoon of PBIs.  Of course, I'd really like to see a version that ups the armor and replaces the mine with LRMs.

Also, does anyone else recall the cameo some sloths had in Prince of Havoc?  IIRC in one of the early fights a squad or so hunkered down in a depression and blew th crotch (and gyro) out of a mech that walked over them.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 01 November 2011, 14:50:12 »
Are you sure it was Prince of Havoc? I admit it's been a while since I read it, but I don't recall any Sloths being in that novel.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #35 on: 01 November 2011, 16:39:29 »
Yeah, the Jaguars were the only ones I remember as having BAs in that book.  I can't actually recall any appearances by the Sloth in a novel.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 01 November 2011, 17:49:41 »
Are you sure it was Prince of Havoc? I admit it's been a while since I read it, but I don't recall any Sloths being in that novel.

Storms of Fate, Chapter 2:

The only advantages were in the shallow depressions or the occasional low rise where squads of battle-suited infantry could hide. And what Victor had, he used. Already a pair of Sloth suits had sneaked under a Caesar's sensor net, planting their anti-Mech mines in its crotch as it strode over them.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 01 November 2011, 21:35:25 »
That's the one, I just messed the name up.  I knew it was in the Civil War.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Grantwhy

• Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 02 November 2011, 04:26:17 »
*disclaimer*: the following post is made with half-remember rules, assumptions, and not a lot of fact checking  :D

re: the ECM version, I don't think people are being sneaky/evil enough when coming up with possible uses for BA with ECM.

1) The BA ECM has a 0 hex radius, and thus not only 'hides' the BA it it carrying, but any other Unit in that hex, yes?  Even if that unit weighs 100 tons, is powered by an XL engine and is carrying multiple Ultra AC 20's (or other short range-high pain weapons) >:/!

2) without a Active Probe (or similar equipment), the way to detect a ECM field is to enter it's affect radius, yes?  So, against a unit that is concealing itself with a Guardian ECM or Clan ECM you can be up to 6 hexes away and know that "something" is out there, somewhere.  Against a Hidden Unit that is in the same hex as BA ECM, you can be 1 hex away and NOT be aware there is an active ECM field and NOT detect that Unit  :o

to heck with using the Sloth Interdictor to break up enemy C3/C3i .... I'd be using it to conceal my Units (especially in Urban / double blind games) 8) 

hehe - this tactic (using BA ECM  to conceal fun/evil units in hidden/double blind games) is a good reason for putting Active Probes on Units  :D
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness.

Don't fight rabbits if you taste like lettuce.

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
« Reply #39 on: 03 November 2011, 16:15:16 »
I think they are great defensive units  8)

Let's say, you've got a raging battle in the middle of New Avelon's city. Enemy Mechs are fighting street to street, mayhem, fire, etc. What do you do?

You gear up in your Sloth squad and play Ants. Enter the suburban defense tunnels / sewer tunnels and head to that corner the enemy Battlemaster is holding firm. Plant your limpet mines in the sewer tunnel's ceiling which is under enemy foot, step back and blow it. If you're good, enemy mech stumbles from a fall into a lv-1 basement as the road collapses, then shoot her up with the lasers. If you're not, at least it throws the enemy position into chaos as they have to deal with units underfoot.

I particularly think they would be good to provide low-key defense for cities against pirate invasion. That pirate battalion might have a harder time facing the militia mech company if there's also 2-3 companies of battlearmor to deal with.

If they restart production, they should keep the Limpet mine version... just add ammo and speed. 3 standards + 1 ECM version make a useful "anthill" squad. I'm also thinking the kind of defenses on Von Strang's world, but in close quarters of a tunnel-fight... two for-facing SL's are not bad.

Freeborn and proud~

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
« Reply #40 on: 03 November 2011, 16:17:35 »
They are one of the few units that make a good infantry support role. A company of these heading a battalion of foot infantry could be pretty.
Freeborn and proud~

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #41 on: 03 November 2011, 17:20:48 »
They are one of the few units that make a good infantry support role. A company of these heading a battalion of foot infantry could be pretty.

The Fenrir and Rottweiler can both do that same job a lot better- they're both faster and better armed, and the Rot is also tougher and has Stealth armor, as well.

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 03 November 2011, 17:35:31 »
I'd say that any design can support at least some infantry types.

All suits can keep up with foot infantry, while most can exceed their speed; obviously ground-only designs like the Sloth aren't well suited to support jump infantry, with that best left to the jumping or VTOL bipedal Battle Armor; and all but the slowest suits can operate well with motorized infantry. Most Light and Medium, and some Heavy bipedals can also keep pace with tracked mechanized infantry and the more heavily armed wheeled mech infantry, while the faster wheeled infantry and the hover infantry can be accompanied by few suits, that number not including the Sloth, and the hover troops ability to navigate water as well as land at high speeds could perhaps restrict their Battle Armor partners to just the Sylph.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 24 July 2013, 03:29:29 »
Between the free weight  and the weight that will be freed up there's almost enough to convert it over to a medium suit.

There's also enough free weight to mount a pair of Heavy Mortars with room for multiple ammo clips (Keep away from weirdo) and if my suspicions are correct default ammo for BA Mortars is AP, which is AE, giving a squad of Sloth enough firepower to wipe out even the toughest BA Squads/points with left overs

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 24 July 2013, 11:47:16 »
BA mortars aren't AE, at least not on the BattleTech scale. BA mortars can shoot armor-piercing, flare and smoke rounds, and while the latter pair technically effect a hex, they're not the juicy damage-dealing kind.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 24 July 2013, 23:13:21 »
Actually the latest TacOps errata and Total Warfare page 140 (About half way down the page, left hand side under a heading of infantry) specifically (but not explicitly) prohibits BA Mortars from using Armor-Piercing Ammo, Anti-Personal exists in a sort of limbo at the moment and given that BA Mortars get a bonus to damage conventional infantry I'm guessing that's their (BA Mortars) Defualt load-out.

Link to Errata thread post point this out: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,18161.msg730785.html#msg730785

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #47 on: 24 July 2013, 23:39:41 »
A valid point, however the default round for the BA Mortar, whatever it may be called, is not the Anti-Personnel round. The latter is area effect, but the BA Mortar stats given in TW lack the AE indicator.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 24 July 2013, 23:58:21 »
Gotcha, just another problem with the expanded alternate ammo rules in TacOps, BA GL's gained some sort of AE with the rules changes (And a similar problem with default ammo)

Gunslinger

• Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: 25 July 2013, 00:16:01 »
The Sloth, as others have said, was a "Zero-Generation" suit. If you think of it as a Retro-tech BA suit, it feels alot more sensible.

And as I remember fondly, it had a potential 6 pts of damage per suit (as opposed to the elemental 3) and the mine thingy for a anti-mech attack had it allure back in the day

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 25 July 2013, 01:06:08 »
I'd really like to see an upgraded "Sloth II".
Sunrise is Coming.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #51 on: 25 July 2013, 01:10:00 »
They can make it a Superheavy Protomech and call it the Giant Ground Sloth. :P

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 25 July 2013, 02:13:37 »
Gotcha, just another problem with the expanded alternate ammo rules in TacOps, BA GL's gained some sort of AE with the rules changes (And a similar problem with default ammo)

I do agree that it would have fit with the GL changes, but at least they got indirect fire capability, which can make them a powerful weapon in city fights.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 25 July 2013, 02:41:28 »
This is getting really off-topic, but I'm pretty sure that BA Mortars (And additionally conventional infantry mortars) benefit from the special rules that affect 'MECH Mortars

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #54 on: 25 July 2013, 15:55:12 »
You're right, it is.  Take it to Ground Combat.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #55 on: 25 July 2013, 20:14:57 »
They can make it a Superheavy Protomech and call it the Giant Ground Sloth. :P

I don't even like Protomechs and I want a dozen of them.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #56 on: 16 December 2013, 03:32:43 »
And here we are again with another RS3145 NTNU update.

Here we continue the never ending struggle to make the Sloth combat worthy.

The Sloth "Huntsman" is one unusual attempt. A refit of surviving Sloths it finally does something with the armour, making it improved stealth. A Mechanical Jump Booster offers a slight mobility improvement while the weapons are anaemic King Davids in a paired mount.

So what do we get. 5 points of armour is still weak, but at least it is hard to hit now. Ground MP of 4 is useful, but not enough for a +2 defensive mod. And in a first for a quad (I think) the Sloth "Huntsman" can jump all of one hex.

We now step back an apply some inside knowledge. The "Huntsman" does not come from a hunter. At least not a human one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsman_spider Also known as nightmare fuel. They actively skulk around attacking their prey.
Look at the Sloth again. Notice how stealthy it is. No flamey jump jets here. Low to the ground and fast. And up front low like mandibles, the King Davids. Each of which is able to take 6 point chunks out of BA.
What we have here is a sniper, lurking around to take down battle armour then flee. Very little that can kill it can catch it.

Is this a good use of the Sloth? Who knows? But it is different.

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 16 December 2013, 03:44:48 »
Why won't the Sloth die? Just when I think it might be gone, another variant appears!

Whether fielded by the AFFS, LCAF or both, this could be an unpleasant surprise for DCMS Kishi and Zou units. The King Davids will ignore the reflective properties of the Combine suits' armor, potentially one-salvo killing the lighter Kishis with average damage.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #58 on: 16 December 2013, 04:28:13 »
Twin King Davids, nice, but why the Mechanical Jump Booster? A quad doesn't one to move four, in fact the Sloth could get 4 ground MP and almost another 3 points of armor for the same weight as a Mechanical Jump Booster

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 16 December 2013, 05:30:14 »
The Sloth is a work of beauty. Well, not actual beauty,  ::) but it's got it's charm.
This was exactly what the Sloth needed, twin KDs fit the aesthetics perfectly and are oh so deadly.
I'd have preferred a 6th point of armour to survive a double tap of APGR, but I suppose you can't have everything.
The Jump boosters are a nice touch, though I agree they are excessively heavy.
Neat work, there.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

jymset

• Infinita Navitas & RecGuide Developer
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant
  • the one and only
« Reply #60 on: 16 December 2013, 08:09:14 »
Twin King Davids, nice, but why the Mechanical Jump Booster? A quad doesn't one to move four, in fact the Sloth could get 4 ground MP and almost another 3 points of armor for the same weight as a Mechanical Jump Booster

Because the MJB is a piece of equipment. The Huntsman uses the identical ground motive system to the normal Sloths, so no difficult change there, and retains the identical armour quantity (if at markedly improved quality).
On CGL writing: Caught between a writer's block and a Herb place. (cray)

Nicest writing compliment ever: I know [redacted] doesn't like continuity porn, but I do, and you sir, write some great continuity porn! (MadCapellan)

3055 rocks! Did so when I was a n00b, does so now.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #61 on: 16 December 2013, 12:49:47 »
Well, I've visually liked the Sloth.  I'm glad its still around, after all.  You need the near perfect ones out there, bad /but functional ones out there and odd ones.  Two out three isn't soo bad now?  8)

I think, sillybrit, reason why the Sloth is still among us in the Dark Age is actually easy to answer.  The Sloth was among the battle armor used during WizKid's run of the Darkage clinky game.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #62 on: 16 December 2013, 23:23:26 »
Was there a change to the King David's damage value at some point?

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #63 on: 16 December 2013, 23:31:57 »
It was errataed somewhere (along with the bearhunter, IIRC) to do extra damage vs BA.  So yes, as long as you're facing other BA.
Sunrise is Coming.

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 16 December 2013, 23:37:17 »
TacOps errata. The Plasma Rifle is another that got extra damage vs battle armor.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #65 on: 17 December 2013, 00:03:01 »
You know what the Huntsmen reminds me of now that I think about it? An XTRO entry, it looks like it a prototype for an upgraded, improved Sloth II, from what jymset is saying it's a field refit and if it does well enough a full production run of a better designed version may be authorized, note too that it's new movement rate is the same as the Fenrir, allowing it to keep up with assault 'Mechs

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 17 December 2013, 07:41:07 »
it looks like it a prototype for an upgraded, improved Sloth II,
This looks like you really wanna rub sillybrit the wrong way.  :D
Count me in.  ^-^
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #67 on: 18 December 2013, 06:47:07 »
Actually the Sloth might be a good base for a support unit. Indirect fire weapons are just as useful for battle armor, after all. Granted you won't carry a lot of them, but so what? Something's better than nothing.

Battle Armor tube artillery, for the fun.

Edit: Support Sloth

Edit: Real Support Sloth with stats
« Last Edit: 20 September 2021, 15:12:48 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #68 on: 14 November 2014, 18:11:34 »
     jymset: The performance discrepancy of these two oldies is illustrated by a review in context of the current construction rules. As was established last week,  these rules were clearly created with the Elemental representing a standard. The Sloth on the other hand did not. In fact, the Sloth - unchanged as it is in regards to updated game rules - is the single least efficient existing suit in regards to updated construction rules. It is actually 270 kgs underweight. All other design choices aside, this very fact hobbles the Sloth more than any other battle armor featured in 3058U (the pre-construction rules batch) and beyond.

Instead of looking for ways to improve the baseline suit, the empty weight allows for an interesting meta-view: with prototype armour, the Sloth would come in at almost exactly the weight maximum for its heavy class. When the design was applied to the construction rules - or vice versa - this was definitely known. As such, the simple fact that it does not carry this obsolete armour is highly suggestive in terms of the Sloth reaching production acceptance (which indeed it did in the Lyran half of the defunct Federated Commonwealth during the years leading up to the Civil War). Unfortunately, this acceptance reflected a temporary lack of alternatives rather than any satisfactory performance…

I have to wonder if this means we have stats for Sloth's refitted with upgraded armor after standard armor was developed, the original production used prototype armor and was standard was developed they switched to that instead but never bothered to increase the amount of armor.

I also have to wonder if there are upgraded version of the Sloth that we've never heard about

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #69 on: 14 November 2014, 18:20:51 »
how much armor could it carry if it used it's full mass, but left everything else alone?

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #70 on: 14 November 2014, 18:59:06 »
They could carry another 5 points of standard armor, bring it up to 10 points, you switch over to the advanced stuff and you could bump that up to 13

mutantsix

• Corporal
« Reply #71 on: 14 September 2021, 07:55:53 »
Does the mechanical jump booster (jump mp1) on the huntsman mean that it can be deployed from a hovering VTOL?

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #72 on: 14 September 2021, 09:26:05 »
how much armor could it carry if it used it's full mass, but left everything else alone? 

Exactly double.   (5 to 10)

Prototype Armor weighs twice as much as Standard Armor.

I'm with the above in thinking it was designed originally using Prototype weights which would then not be an underweight design.

At some point the RS however got Standard Armor so now its very underweight.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #73 on: 14 September 2021, 15:56:21 »
Does the mechanical jump booster (jump mp1) on the huntsman mean that it can be deployed from a hovering VTOL?
The mechanical jump boosters are basically a pogo stick. Probably not great as a pseudo parachute.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #74 on: 14 September 2021, 16:06:56 »
IIRC it has been asked and answered that MJBs allows a BA to drop from level 1 (i.e. as high as they can jump).

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #75 on: 14 September 2021, 16:20:36 »
The mechanical jump boosters are basically a pogo stick. Probably not great as a pseudo parachute.
IIRC it has been asked and answered that MJBs allows a BA to drop from level 1 (i.e. as high as they can jump).
Now i have the Inspector Gadget theme playing in my head...Go Go Sloth Legs! (pONg!)

The Huntsman variant is amusing.  ;D All silliness aside, i think the Sloth should at least get BA style LRM launcher or something to help it truck on. It has too much character to be put away.  Quad Turret or something. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #76 on: 14 September 2021, 17:00:39 »
Strip the original weapons and fill it with MRMs. MMM for the win (or the lulz, at least)! :D

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 14 September 2021, 17:57:54 »
I had a custom model that swapped the twin SLs & mine dispenser with twin Magshots & SRM-3?  I think.
It seemed like it would make for a solid platform with 3 guns reaching range 9,  good for urban areas.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #78 on: 16 September 2021, 20:47:55 »
Just reinforcing that the interdictor variant with its ECM can provide ghost targets cover for friendly units in its hex.  This was brought up in the BAotW article for the Nighthawk too.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #79 on: 17 September 2021, 11:06:10 »
I had a custom model that swapped the twin SLs & mine dispenser with twin Magshots & SRM-3?  I think.
It seemed like it would make for a solid platform with 3 guns reaching range 9,  good for urban areas.
The other day I was playing around and determined you could fit a small laser and and LRM5 with 4 shots, and still have enough mass to increase the armor by a couple points. Which would turn the sloth squad into basically a mobile LRM20. Though the missiles would have to be non-turreted. (Using a turret either cuts into your ammo or forces you to drop the SL to find the space, though that would allow for even more armor)

Ultimately I think the sloth's problem stems from the fact it keeps being designed as an up close attack unit the way that IS standards and elementals were, when it's size and slow speed really should have pushed it into a ranged support role. Of course part of that was the fact that BA at the time were much more narrowly conceived as just alternate infantry, which was also almost entirely short ranged and direct combat.
« Last Edit: 17 September 2021, 11:11:34 by glitterboy2098 »

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #80 on: 17 September 2021, 13:30:04 »
Just reinforcing that the interdictor variant with its ECM can provide ghost targets cover for friendly units in its hex.  This was brought up in the BAotW article for the Nighthawk too.

Suits with ground movement like the Sloth might actually have a marginal advantage over jumping ones like the Nighthawk. In the situation discussed in that thread, I actually ran into the issue where if the mech being protected tried to close with targets at a full sprint the suits feel behind, but if it moved at its normal combat speed or stood still for better shooting, the Nighthawks could not jump their full distance and still end in the same hex, and the resulting drop in TMM made them vulnerable. Because suits do not pay for turns, a Sloth squad can move in a curve or even move in one direction and then right back, to maintain its max TMM.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #81 on: 17 September 2021, 14:23:25 »
Because suits do not pay for turns, a Sloth squad can move in a curve or even move in one direction and then right back, to maintain its max TMM.
Oh sir, I like where your head is at.
Might not work in a wooded hex but still, a nice "triangle" move of 3 hexes out & back if the mech is parked behind a L1 hill is a solid option.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #82 on: 17 September 2021, 16:26:14 »
created a workshop thread for the ideas about how to improve the Sloth..
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/battle-armor/making-lemonade-out-of-lemons-the-sloth-baotw-workshop-thread/

started with my LRM support version.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #83 on: 20 September 2021, 05:25:43 »
Suits with ground movement like the Sloth might actually have a marginal advantage over jumping ones like the Nighthawk. In the situation discussed in that thread, I actually ran into the issue where if the mech being protected tried to close with targets at a full sprint the suits feel behind, but if it moved at its normal combat speed or stood still for better shooting, the Nighthawks could not jump their full distance and still end in the same hex, and the resulting drop in TMM made them vulnerable. Because suits do not pay for turns, a Sloth squad can move in a curve or even move in one direction and then right back, to maintain its max TMM.
Actually you can get a Sloth to move up to 5 hexes, you've just got to use a couple of special rules. Fast Movement from TacOps and Foot Cavalry from A Time Of War Companion both boost a squads ground MP by 1

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #84 on: 20 September 2021, 08:44:43 »
I favor parking an ECM Sloth in woods or partial cover with a sniper or LRM battlemech in the same hex with ghost targets in effect.  Could be brutal with a Longbow or Thunderhawk >:D
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!