Author Topic: NHL 2019-20, offersheeting and cap beatings  (Read 48707 times)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
Re: NHL 2019-20, offersheeting and cap beatings
« Reply #30 on: 10 July 2019, 23:01:27 »
Michael Ferland was signed by the Canucks.  I thought he'd go to a contending team.  Can't really fault the Vancouver on this signing.  3.5 million is a solid market rate.  He gets a NMC, NTC which probably made it the most attractive.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #31 on: 11 July 2019, 00:19:01 »
With Matt Cullen retiring that leaves Zedeno Chara, age 42, as the oldest active player going into next season. 

Ryan Miller is the next oldest at 39 years, depending if Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau can find homes or not.  May be a tough order since both want to sign with the Sharks, and right now it looks like the Sharks have moved on to younger bodies.   

What kills me is I'm older than all these people at age 43. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 11 July 2019, 01:18:25 »
What kills me is I'm older than all these people at age 43.
*high five*
I remember when Chara was still an Islander and didn't think the guy was going to be around the league for longer than a few years as anything other than a tough guy.  Jumbo Joe was also was a Bruin playing with Ray Bourque.  Also another 'yes I'm old' reminder, a recent publicity photo for the Caps alumni game showed Bondra wearing a number 15, which made no sense because he wore number 12.  Turns out it was his son.

So as we approach 70 we will have been blessed to see 2 of Keith Tkachuk's sons have long careers and perhaps have multiple sons that within a generation or two will displace the the Sutter clan in NHL family saturation.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #33 on: 11 July 2019, 02:07:23 »
I remember when Peter Bondra was playing for the short-lived Detroit Vipers of the IHL before he was a Cap.  I remember Sergei Samsonov too, before the Bruins.

I remember talking to a coworker about Chara and how the league was changing, and everyone was going to have to get mountains on skates for their defense.  Ha!  Now it's Goalies who are the big men on their team.

Turning this thread into a Back in the Day trainwreck.  Lol...

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 13 July 2019, 23:33:34 »
I remember when Peter Bondra was playing for the short-lived Detroit Vipers of the IHL before he was a Cap.
That was the year that he signed late due to a contract dispute.  I thought he had two runs through the Vipers, but what I can find only shows one.
[/quote]

Current day news, Dzingel signed in Carolina.

And because we were lacking moves of substance I invite you to check in on Gritty https://www.nhl.com/news/philadelphia-flyers-mascot-gritty-visits-jersey-shore/c-308254856?tid=281396148[/b]]https://www.nhl.com/news/philadelphia-flyers-mascot-gritty-visits-jersey-shore/c-308254856?tid=281396148

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #35 on: 14 July 2019, 19:31:36 »
Jordan Binnington agreed to a 2 year contract with the Blues for $4.4 mil per year.

Not much else going on despite how many unsigned players are available.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 14 July 2019, 20:32:28 »
Jordan Binnington agreed to a 2 year contract with the Blues for $4.4 mil per year.

Not much else going on despite how many unsigned players are available.

Honestly I think we aren't going to see to much movement the rest of the month due to the fact the cap didn't go up nearly as much as was expected.  On top of that one would expect most teams to have an average of 22 player contracts signed and playing in the NHL by the beginning of the season.  At this point 2/3rds of the league is already at that number so only a handful of teams are trying actively fill spots.  That plays, mostly, to the remaining teams' advantage when trying to negotiate a contract.

The only team that has less than 20 players and has to really worry about it is the Florida Panthers who have 17 guys signed to contracts.  On the one hand they have 4 RFAs who made 700-900k last season and each of those guys qualifying offers are offered at least 5% raise which has already been rejected by a player.  Assuming they all get 1.25m then that more or less settles the issue for this season.

Other teams below 20 players signed are Minnesota, Carolina, New Jersey, and Winnipeg.  Winnipeg has to deal with what to pay Liane and Connor.  Once that's finally accounted for then you could expect them to do a little shopping.  The Devils have RFAs to sign and nothing that is going to break the bank.  Minnesota is having an identity crisis and I don't think they have any idea what they are doing (hint: it should have involved trading assets).  Carolina with get there paying their few remaining RFAs and then potentially bargain shop.

Bottom line with all of this is expect only a handful of the quality UFAs to sign once it becomes apparent if they don't they are going to get absolute chump change.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #37 on: 16 July 2019, 20:01:12 »
Blackhawks dealt Artem Anisimov to the Sens for Zack Smith today.

And Michael Del Zotto signed with the Ducks of Anaheim.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel here.  I sure do miss hockey.   

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 16 July 2019, 23:56:40 »
Scraping the bottom of the barrel here. 
Sure seems like it.  Re: Anisimov, I think the Sens win this trade heads up.  It just gets them closer to the cap.  If the 'Hawks think Smith will do anything positive for them on the ice, well,  I think they are insane.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #39 on: 19 July 2019, 20:13:20 »
The hockey barrel filled back up today.

Edmonton dealt Milan Lucic to the Flames for James Neal.  Calgary also gets a conditional third rounder, and the Oilers will pay 12.5% of Lucic's contract.

Then today Jacob Trouba signed a 7 year $56 million dollar deal with the Rangers, avoiding a scheduled arbitration hearing. 

And yesterday, Ron Francis was named the first GM of Seattle's still unnamed hockey team.

StoryReader

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: 20 July 2019, 01:09:54 »
Edmonton dealt Milan Lucic to the Flames for James Neal. 

A Flames-Oilers trade....my oh my how times have changed.  :))

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #41 on: 20 July 2019, 01:29:43 »
A Flames-Oilers trade....my oh my how times have changed.  :))

I was thinking the same thing.

Edit: and until further notice, I'll be calling Seattle's new team The Grunge.  Only because it makes me happy to do so.
« Last Edit: 20 July 2019, 01:36:00 by rebs »

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 24 July 2019, 00:41:49 »
Anyone trading for Lucic for less than extortion is insane.  The Flames desperately wanted to get rid of James Neal that they took on a contract with a bigger point pill with a conditional pick.  Even if that pick pans out because Neal is successful A) it's only a 3rd rounder which on its own is okay, but I'd have held out for another pick and B) trading within the division is no bueno.

Today the Maple Leafs traded for David Clarkson so they can put him on LTIR at the beginning of the season to open up cap space after trading him away a few years ago.  The whole idea being that they can sign Marner.  Garrett Sparks became a casualty as well.  Vegas is now finally below the cap.

Francis was a good enough hire.  I don't think he's going to draft a team that is going to make the playoffs the first year, but I think year 2 or 3 will be possible.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #43 on: 26 July 2019, 04:22:10 »
So, which team was screwed harder by this off season, the Blue Jackets or the Jets?

On the surface it looks like Columbus got jacked the hardest, what with Panarin, Duchene, Dzingle and Bobrovski leaving.  Their saving grace is a young core with lots of highly rated prospects in the pipeline.

On the other side is Winnipeg.  Never undetestimate a team that bleeds defencemen like the Jets did this off season.  They may actually be worse off than the Blue Jackets.   

What do you think, noble reader?
« Last Edit: 28 July 2019, 09:19:39 by rebs »

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #44 on: 26 July 2019, 11:51:08 »
I'll take Winnipeg. Columbus' management knew what was coming, knew they had to eat a turd sandwich in the offseason, but made a very, VERY bold move to set themselves up for one big playoff push before the cap monster destroyed what they had. (And to their credit, it wasn't the worst gamble, on paper. In practice, they gave up a pretty serious haul of picks and prospects to get slapped around by Boston in the second round- easy to say it wasn't worth it now, but if they'd made it past the Bruins- a real possibility, remember- then it might have looked a little different). The Jackets made the best of a bad situation, but that bad situation was never in doubt.

The Jets though? This has been weird, and there doesn't really seem to be any real pattern or plan behind it- just all of a sudden their defensive corps is scattering into the night. (I've even seen noise about Byfuglien being on the block next!). Their cap wasn't ideal, but I didn't think they'd implode quite like this.

Both teams are in pain compared to the past couple of years, but the surprise factor puts the Jets over the top for me- it's worse to suddenly become a crap roster than to see it coming and at least mentally prepare for it.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: 29 July 2019, 02:09:28 »
So, which team was screwed harder by this off season, the Blue Jackets or the Jets?
To this point I think it's a coin toss.  If the CBJ doesn't sign another goal tender to compete for the starting job then I'll say Columbus.

Caps signed Stepenson and Djoos and are now over the cap.  And now I shall sit back and wait to see who the victim of the cap ends up being traded or demoted.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #46 on: 29 July 2019, 08:38:42 »
Don't forget the Blue Jackets had never won a playoff series or even won a playoff game by more than 1 goal, both of which they accomplished this year. I'd say the gamble paid off somewhat for them. Not the way everyone hoped, but more than the past.

Not having a defense can be bad, but going from a Vezina winner to having no goalie is tougher in the NHL I think.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #47 on: 31 July 2019, 03:38:03 »
Minnesota is having an identity crisis and I don't think they have any idea what they are doing (hint: it should have involved trading assets).

Well said, Firesprocket.  Ownership agrees to a point, and fired Paul Fenton on Tuesday, after just over one year on the job.  Owner Leipold played down the trades and claimed it was many little things that caused the firing, but all of it points toward high level incompetence.

And in other news of significance, Tampa Bay signed Vasilievski to an extension worth $9.5 mil per season, locking him in for the greater part of the next decade.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2019, 11:02:48 by rebs »

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #48 on: 31 July 2019, 10:51:28 »
The sad part? Fenton was a moron, and most of his moves show it (I'll at least give him a little credit on the Coyle/Donato trade, because I think long-term Donato was a good pickup even at the tough price paid). The problem, however, goes far above his head.

After all, Fenton hasn't done much over the past few weeks to make things worse, has he? It's been quiet since the draft. So why now? What prompted them to make this call right now, rather than, say, during the spring? The team missed the playoffs, they were lunch meat at the deadline (again, Donato aside), all the problems Fenton had caused were at a head at that point... so why the hell would you keep him to run your draft, then fire him a month after THAT?

Yeah, Fenton didn't do too great. Which means he was a great match for the Wild's ownership that let him in the door  to begin with... and booted him at an absurd point in time. Nothing about this makes sense- and it'll be interesting to see if anyone comes in to fix this mess and risk working for this poorly-run group, or if they have to find another B-list name to do the job.

...oh god, they're going to hire Chiarelli, aren't they? Please say it is so, for I need to be able to laugh today...

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: 31 July 2019, 23:51:56 »
Yeah, Fenton didn't do too great. Which means he was a great match for the Wild's ownership that let him in the door  to begin with... and booted him at an absurd point in time. Nothing about this makes sense- and it'll be interesting to see if anyone comes in to fix this mess and risk working for this poorly-run group, or if they have to find another B-list name to do the job.

...oh god, they're going to hire Chiarelli, aren't they? Please say it is so, for I need to be able to laugh today...
For a team in such a horrible quagmire there is only one solution, Ron Hextall.  According to the Star Tribune they have been granted permission to speak to him about the vacancy too.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #50 on: 02 August 2019, 12:37:11 »
Rangers bought out the last two years on Shattenkirk's contract yesterday, giving them some much-needed cap room.

Now if only the Red Wings would buy out Jonathan Ericsson...

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #51 on: 05 August 2019, 18:45:17 »
Rangers bought out the last two years on Shattenkirk's contract yesterday, giving them some much-needed cap room.

Now if only the Red Wings would buy out Jonathan Ericsson...

And straight to Tampa to give is full 70% every night for them!

+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 05 August 2019, 23:59:41 »
It's a low cost move for the Bolts.  If they have to bury him because he can't play then it won't cost them much.  Tampa must have a quota that they have to have at least one former NY Ranger on their team at anytime.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #53 on: 06 August 2019, 07:49:20 »
It's a low cost move for the Bolts.  If they have to bury him because he can't play then it won't cost them much.  Tampa must have a quota that they have to have at least one former NY Ranger on their team at anytime.

To satisfy all the NY snowbirds in their fanbase.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 06 August 2019, 14:03:46 »
To satisfy all the NY snowbirds in their fanbase.
I completely forgot last night that Mcdonagh was still on their team so its more of a former 2 Ranger minimum.

Interesting article today about contracts buy outs and player performance the season after.  Most of the results weren't to surprising.  What I did find surprising is that only about 1/3 of the players bought out have no further NHL play.  I'd have thought that number to be higher.  The article is here: https://sports.yahoo.com/when-are-boughtout-players-a-good-bet-in-the-nhl-145250734.html

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 10 August 2019, 01:20:04 »
Nassau Co. has given preliminary approval for a development plan that will allow the Islanders to build a stadium on Long Island.  While there are still hurdles to clear it appears that Islanders will have a new arena that doesn't have them splitting time between two arenas by 2021 or 2022.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 21 August 2019, 22:42:02 »
The Wild hired Bill Guerin to be there to GM.  He's been the AGM in Pittsburgh so he has some experience at the top end of the food change.  The Islanders signed Derick Brassard to a 1 year deal at 1.2 mil.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #57 on: 03 September 2019, 21:12:57 »
Niklas Kronwall retired after15 seasons with the Red Wings.  Not a huge surprise to be certain.  He will be missed by fans and teammates. 

But it opens up space for our prospects to step up and fill. 

And there's always Ericsson.  He won't be bought out, but at least he only has a year left on his deal.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 04 September 2019, 01:26:28 »
Good on Kronwall for calling it a career.  Nothing left for him to do and well deserved.  I saw Cam Ward signed a one day and retired and Justin Williams has more or less hung his skates up as well.  Ward hung on probably longer than he should, but had a decent enough career.  I won't be surprised at all if he finds his way into Carolina office in some capacity in the future.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #59 on: 04 September 2019, 15:48:47 »
Yeah, Kronwall has already been picked up by the Wings for the front office.  He's an advisor to the GM.  So he's still around, he just won't be on ice throwing hip checks.