Author Topic: CGL KS Challenge Coin & Pin Collection Display Advice Needed  (Read 1655 times)

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
Greetings One and All!  I’m posting this Exact Same Message in a number of places, to get the widest “Coverage” Possible.   :thumbsup:  If you see this somewhere else, and you’ve already given your ideas/opinions, you don’t have to post everywhere else.  Thank You for your Time and Effort at least Once.  :beer:

I’m getting the CGL Kickstarter Challenge Coin AND Enamel Pin Collections.  I’ve also got a few other coins, as well as all the enamel Pins CGL has sold the last few Gen Cons, along with several older ones I’ve managed to get through the years.  I’ll have about 35 coins, and maybe 60 pins (possibly more pins?), and I’m wondering How to Display them?   :-\   (OK, Probably MORE than 60 pins.  xp )

I’ve done some Searching, and Amazon has several “Challenge Coin” desktop/table-top racks, but they’ve also got several enclosed cases, to mount on a wall.  Some for coins, and a few for coins and/or pins. I’d thought of getting just one, but after seeing the ones on Amazon, I’m thinking of one for the coins, and one for the pins.  Leaning heavily towards Mahogany as far as wood goes.  :thumbsup:

I’m still in the Preliminary Search stage.  I’ve looked at Amazon and some place that does the Challenge Coin displays for Military coins (can’t remember the name of the Company), but I’m open to anything.  Does your buddy Bob make such a thing, for a decent price?  :D  I’ve seen some on Amazon for $50-$70, and Quite a bit Higher.  :o  I’m NOT looking to make someone’s house OR car payment for the month!  xp

Has anyone else given this any thought, and maybe already developed a Solution?   ???

Please keep in mind, I'm ONLY asking for Advice here!  Keep any "Sales" comments to PM, Please!  From various FB Groups, it sounds like a "Shadowbox" from Michaels or Amazon is what I might need.  I've NO idea if there's a Michaels anywhere near where I live or not though.   :-\  There's a Hobby Lobby nearby (which may or may not be open at the moment), but I've noticed their things seem to be a bit Pricey, except for stuff on sale.
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: CGL KS Challenge Coin & Pin Collection Display Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2020, 01:18:51 »
Hey Grud,

This is what I use for pins:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017ZA1OWK/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I decide to order the pin set I'll grab another one.

I'm not sure about the challenge coins, possibly a shallow shadow box with LED lights?

Bosefius
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2020, 19:22:22 »
I'm not sure about the challenge coins, possibly a shallow shadow box with LED lights?

Bosefius

Oooohhhh!  Sounds COOL!  (Damnit, can't say "Awesome" with THIS crowd!  :P )

Most of the replies in various FB Groups mention Shadowboxes.  NONE have suggested Shadowbox with LIGHTING though!   :beer: :thumbsup:

Now the question would be, white lights or some color, then "What Color?" if not plain white.   ???  Green is my favorite color though.  Such a shame it's used by the 2 WORST Factions, by MY POV.   xp

That pin case looks nice also.   :thumbsup:  I wonder what their definition of "Small Pin" is versus "Large Pin" though?  I Probably need to wait until I've got everything, then lay it all out on my bed, and get a rough measurement of it all.  Once I know the dimensions, I can base any case/shadowbox Purchase on those.
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2020, 12:23:18 »
The reason you get the Shadow Box comments is that is standard kit, along with the rack, for 'I Love Me Wall' gear.  Shadow Box is the way to go, though I question if a black background typically found in them will be best.  I think the plain white light will be best, with maybe a cream or offwhite background to let the pins pop against it.  As for size, that will really depend on the size of the pins over all.

The only question, IMO is do you want to be able to mess with any of the pins or coins in the future?  You might want to, for example, split the coins between a rack and a shadow box with the coins on the rack being extras or ones you wish to handle.

Or some coins (like an extra from your pledge level) can be inset . . .

I got this after 2003-

Coin on the right might have been for the specific unit, I do not remember to be honest . . . I should bring it to the office.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2020, 23:43:44 »
I'll have "Extra" of the House Steiner-Davion coin, patch and pin, but no others.  Would be nice to have TWO of ALL the coins, to display front and back, but  . . .  :o   Woof!  ANOTHER $250.00?  Yeah, maybe not.   :'(

I can't remember if the backs will all be the same or not?

I agree with the white light, as now that I think of it (after YOU mention the light and having a white/cream background), I wonder if a colored light would maybe "wash out" some of the pins, so you couldn't see them as well?   ???

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2020, 00:15:22 »
I think a colored light would mess with how some of the colors would display.

I suggest a standard type shadow box for the pins and I have seen some wall mount racks or even shadow boxes with racks that had glass front & backs so you could show both sides if you wished . . . its a lot cheaper than dropping another $250.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Register