Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: Crimson Hawk  (Read 12355 times)

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
'Mech of the Week: Crimson Hawk
« on: 08 November 2014, 01:05:28 »
From TRO:3075

The Crimson Hawk is an unremarkable ‘Mech with a truly remarkable inception. Its origins found with Clan Blood Spirit, Diamond Shark Galaxy Commander Stephan Faulk would spy a prototype on York in 3069 and issue - and win - a trial for it and its scientific team. With their hold upon their Homeworld enclaves becoming more and more tenuous, the Sharks would shuttle these winnings all the way to their outpost on Itabaiana. The Crimson Hawk would then quickly enter production, and gain the distinction of becoming the first Diamond Shark ‘Mech produced within the Inner Sphere in 3071.

It is to be noted that at one point during the bloody trial for the Crimson Hawk’s specs, a deal was struck. The Sharks would not only bring the Crimson Hawk to fruition, but would improve upon it - and would eventually bring a shipment to the Spirits. A total of eight Overlord-Cs would be filled with over a cluster of the ‘Mech, to then be delivered to York. And it is here that the Sharks sacrificed a Potemkin and half of their dropships in order to fulfill their bargain, although the exact reasons why this deal was struck would be lost with the presumed death of Stephan Faulk.

~   ~   ~

The Crimson Hawk itself comes in at 25 tons, the same weight as other Clan staples such as the Mist Lynx or the Locust IIC. Even though an XL engine is used, the Crimson Hawk has a remarkably slow movement profile of 5/8/5. A full 5 tons of ferro-fibrous armor protects the Hawk as much as possible, although the 12(4)/9(3) (center/side torsos), 8/12 (arms/legs) armor layout means that a Gauss or ERPPC blast can rip off any of the side torsos or arms. Even so, this is to be expected of a 25-ton ‘Mech and is not a fault of the design itself.

The armament is simple and blunt: two ER Large Lasers. The two lasers are of different models, with subterfuge put forward as a key reason as to why. This gives the Crimson Hawk the ability to force PSRs at very long ranges, although having only 10 double heat sinks will force any pilot to use firing patterns or shoot-and-jump tactics in order to avoid shutting down.

The first variant came out in 3073, and is quite straightforward - although somewhat lunatic. The two ER Large Lasers are replaced with two Heavy Large Lasers. This is a straight swap, so no tonnage is freed - which means that if the Crimson Hawk 2 stands still and shoot both Heavy Larges, it’ll skyrocket up to +16 heat and a shutdown roll. Decided to run/jump then shoot? That shutdown roll just got worse. Piloting one of these is like piloting half of a Hunchback IIC; standard Clan economics tell me that beating anything with this should win roughly two times the glory.

The Crimson Hawk 3, churned out by 3075, goes in the opposite direction (you can thank Clan Wolf-in-Exile for that). One of the ER Large Lasers gets swapped for an ER Medium and three points of armor are sacrificed for an extremely dubious choice: six Improved Jump Jets. That’s right, while the Sharks thought it was reasonable to give the Crimson Hawk a loadout that runs hot enough to melt sand, Clan WiE thought it would be great to sacrifice a substantial chunk of damage and reach for an extra 30 meters of jumping ability. They must really love (or hate) Stingers and Wasps.

The final variant, appearing in RS:3145NTNU, tries to become a generalist. One ER Large Laser is once again lost along with the three points of armor, but an additional two jump jets are sacrificed. Two ER Medium Lasers are added to the improved Endo Steel frame, alongside a Heavy Flamer with 10 shots and a Targeting Computer. The Crimson Hawk 4 can take on light targets - no matter the type - with a certain amount of confidence, although heat as always remains an issue and the drop to 90 meters of jumping distance has to be taken into account. By the way, I know Heavy Flamers are an extremely rare weapon. If you are unfamiliar with them, look them up. You'll be hard pressed to find a better way to burn toast.

~   ~   ~

How do you use one? Depending on the model, treat it like an introtech Griffin or Phoenix Hawk packed into a condensed little package. Heat is always going to be an issue, so pay close attention to it. Otherwise, stick around cover and use it to your best advantage. Never forget that you are a 25-ton ‘Mech that, even fully armored, cannot take any amount of attention. Aping classic Panther tactics and sticking close to larger and more dangerous friends will also help you out.

How do you kill one? Send something after it. The classic Clan secondline 6/9/6 movers will all take the Crimson Hawk apart. It also can’t build up any movement mods worth noting, so Pulse Lasers will quickly wreck their day. Even certain Inner Sphere lights can threaten the Crimson Hawk if they move quickly enough. If you somehow can, aiming for the Right Torso is also a great idea. All of the weaponry on the first three models is concentrated on the right side of the ‘Mech. A single 15-point hit, and the Crimson Hawk is no longer worth its weight in BV.

For more info, check out the MUL over here: http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/721/crimson-hawk-standard
And hey! Check out camospecs* while you're at it: http://www.camospecs.com/MiniList.asp?Action=Detail&ID=976
*Pretty sure the model represents the Crimson Hawk 4.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2021, 14:48:04 by GreekFire »
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
Re: 'Mech of the Week: Crimson Hawk
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2014, 01:16:29 »
Reading this I have to say. A cluster of these mechs is not worth a losing Potemkin. Not too bad of a little mech, seems like a Clan Panther, with all that that entails on a post 3050 universe.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2014, 01:21:39 »
\ A cluster of these mechs is not worth a losing Potemkin.

Oh, not to mention that they never got their dropships back and their Fredasa Swift Strike got completely mauled in the same battle, escaped to an unknown system where half of its crew died while spending three years fixing the ship up decently enough to make it back to friendly territory. I honestly don't know what the Sharks got out of the deal that would make it worth such losses.

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
  • Bringing you the beats and grooves of Xin Sheng
« Reply #3 on: 08 November 2014, 02:29:30 »
I honestly don't know what the Sharks got out of the deal that would make it worth such losses.

Probably something to do with being honor-bound to fulfill terms of a sale. Clan honor, even when applied to mercantile interests seems to be a funny thing.

Grey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 08 November 2014, 04:06:56 »
Mercantile thinking may also explain the design, well, economics on both sides of the coin.

Even with an XL engine it strikes me as a cheap way to bring heavy long range firepower onto the battlefield. In that sense it appeals to the resource poor Spirits, while the Sharks see it as something easily sold to the Inner Sphere, because let's face it, who doesn't want to bring a pair of Clan ER Larges into play however they can? I don't know, has anyone tried using it as a team player on a mixed tech force?

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 08 November 2014, 08:03:43 »
This thing reminds me of the Clan version of the Hollander. Big gun, little mech, slowish speed, crappy armor.

Definitely love how honorable the Shark Foxes were in keeping their part of the deal but the sacrifices....ugh.
Made by HikageMaru

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #6 on: 08 November 2014, 09:21:54 »
A slow light mech with big guns?  Smart Shark would've seen the Adder blockade and said wait a minute, snakes love a slow light with big guns.  Then sold them to the Adders for 150% what they were charging the Spirits, and kept their ships.

I actually ran two of these in MM the other week and I have to say, they are totally unremarkable, not easy to play, and they die easily.  There are far better mechs for the weight.  Sad, I really like most all of the Spirit favored designs (Kingfisher, Stooping Hawk, Blood Kite).

To the patient go the spoils

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 08 November 2014, 11:12:11 »
Even with an XL engine it strikes me as a cheap way to bring heavy long range firepower onto the battlefield. In that sense it appeals to the resource poor Spirits, while the Sharks see it as something easily sold to the Inner Sphere, because let's face it, who doesn't want to bring a pair of Clan ER Larges into play however they can? I don't know, has anyone tried using it as a team player on a mixed tech force?

I've used it a lot as a Shark player who also loves ER Larges. It does work quite well as a team player, and if Zell gets thrown out the window, using it to add a few 10-point hits on a target that *needs* to go down really helps. And yeah, by 3145 every IS faction has access to at least one of the models; the FedSun, FWL and RotS get the Standard, the Capellans, Dracs and Mercs get the 2, and the Lyrans have the 3.

A slow light mech with big guns?  Smart Shark would've seen the Adder blockade and said wait a minute, snakes love a slow light with big guns.  Then sold them to the Adders for 150% what they were charging the Spirits, and kept their ships.

I actually ran two of these in MM the other week and I have to say, they are totally unremarkable, not easy to play, and they die easily.  There are far better mechs for the weight.  Sad, I really like most all of the Spirit favored designs (Kingfisher, Stooping Hawk, Blood Kite).

It's hard for the Crimson Hawk to compete with the excellent light 'Mech line-up that the Sharks (and now Foxes) have, with the Solitaire, Piranha, and Tiburon easily leading the pack.

Something that I forgot to note is that by 3085, the Stone Lions and Star Adders both have examples of it within their Touman. And in the Star Adders' case, it's the Crimson Hawk 3. That's right, the model that was developed in 3075 by Clan Wolf-in-Exile.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2014, 11:38:25 »
I've used it before, and the thing to remember is that its not a good dueling 'Mech.  Keep them out of the initial challenges under zellbrigen, and then bring them into range to provide supporting fire if things go sideways honor-wise.  Trying to go toe to toe with a Fire Moth or even a Vixen ended me in hot water.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #9 on: 08 November 2014, 16:46:49 »
I've used it before, and the thing to remember is that its not a good dueling 'Mech.  Keep them out of the initial challenges under zellbrigen, and then bring them into range to provide supporting fire if things go sideways honor-wise.  Trying to go toe to toe with a Fire Moth or even a Vixen ended me in hot water.

Right, they're terrible in zell, they die fast even against other lights.  I mean yeah in an IS force in the Dark Age it's probably a good little mech.  I guess the Spirits intended to use them in swarms to defend York.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 08 November 2014, 18:58:21 »
I am really not a fan of this guy.  It draws far too much attention to itself with those big guns and has absolutely no way to protect itself against other Clan designs.  I can definitely see it making more sense in IS forces where the range and firepower really do make it stand out, but you know there is a problem when the only way your Clan tech 'Mech makes sense is if you use it in an IS force.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #11 on: 08 November 2014, 19:07:53 »
The more I think of this the more it comes off as a desperate "Throw ERLLs on EVERYTHING!" Blood Spirit idea, that the Diamond Foxes began selling to the IS as a joke. And somehow it sold anyway, almost as if the IS will buy anything Clan Tech, so matter how terrible.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 08 November 2014, 19:56:58 »
The more I think of this the more it comes off as a desperate "Throw ERLLs on EVERYTHING!" Blood Spirit idea, that the Diamond Foxes began selling to the IS as a joke. And somehow it sold anyway, almost as if the IS will buy anything Clan Tech, so matter how terrible.

That honestly sounds about right to me, and I can even understand the Blood Spirit logic because the reach of the ERLL means that no matter how terrible a platform you randomly throw it onto, it can at least kind of fight in support of real units.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 08 November 2014, 22:02:47 »
It's a Panther that's better in every single way.  Faster, jumps farther, has two PPCs that shoot 40% further, still doesn't die to side torso destruction.  It's a great replacement for that old sort of bruiser light, and is honestly really cheap in this age of heavy XL Omnis both in terms of BV and in terms of c-bills cost.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 08 November 2014, 22:22:53 »
That honestly sounds about right to me, and I can even understand the Blood Spirit logic because the reach of the ERLL means that no matter how terrible a platform you randomly throw it onto, it can at least kind of fight in support of real units.

And that two of the Spirit's most used units- the Morrigu and Blood Kite- used them.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #15 on: 08 November 2014, 22:25:48 »
Well yeah, the Blood Spirits basically had 3 weapons, ERLL, LRM15, and SRM4s, so they put those on everything. In this case, just the ERLL though, on a light chassis.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #16 on: 09 November 2014, 03:03:26 »
I think it was hit on earlier but the Crimson Hawk would not seem to be a dueling machine, though against others in its weight it might be a serious fighter- cERLL is the best TW gun after all.

This thing was designed to be a fire support unit in cavalry units, a way to get an extra ERLL on any target that needs to be knocked down now.  It hangs at the edge of the battlefield lighting up targets being focused on by units closer to the skirmish line.  As such tactics are more the domain of the Inner Sphere, it makes quite a bit of sense IMO.

Speaking of the Panther, it would have been interesting to see one with SRMs, LRMs, ATMs or even MMLs for a hybrid.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #17 on: 09 November 2014, 03:56:29 »
i find it interesting that the mech carries 2 ERLL's.. but only has a single gun mount in the art, which does not look like it carried two weapons.

and while i used one of these a few times in MWDA.. i never knew it was clan, much less only 25 tons.. i knew it was a light, but i'd figured something more like 35 tons, and that it was an IS unit related to the Shadow Hawk somehow. (which it resembles quite a bit, with elements similar to both the unseen and reseen Shad's..)
« Last Edit: 09 November 2014, 03:58:49 by glitterboy2098 »

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #18 on: 09 November 2014, 06:44:03 »
i find it interesting that the mech carries 2 ERLL's.. but only has a single gun mount in the art, which does not look like it carried two weapons.

Look at the right arm and you will see the second one.

It is not a great mech. It is very clear that something has been amiss in the Clans when you have the Fire Falcon in TRO3058 and the Crimson Hawk in TRO3075 (hint, both weight the same but the first is a state of the art omnimech, much faster, with a variant with the same weapons and a TC).

The idea of a fire support mech that is placed behind other mechs to add extra ER Large Laser lovin' to down an enemy mech faster is almost unclanlike. The fact that it gets killed fast in case somebody looks at it sternly is also a major drawback.  This mech clearly shows the issues the Blood Spirit had to face. And they were big issues.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #19 on: 09 November 2014, 07:26:31 »
They were more than likely expecting to use them on York.  The Spirits had long ago refused to honor zell to any invader.  I think they probably could have cared less about honor rules.  They needed a whole bunch of units to throw at the Adder onslaught.

If they really wanted a light support sniper they should've just gone single ERPPC and been done with it.  Pricier yeah, but it would have been much more effective.  Fill out the extra tonnage with backup weapons, or a TC.  Though this mech already exists in the Howler 3.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #20 on: 09 November 2014, 08:20:43 »
  The idea of a fire support mech that is placed behind other mechs to add extra ER Large Laser lovin' to down an enemy mech faster is almost unclanlike.

But not unBlood Spirit like. Particularly when dealing with their ancient enemy.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #21 on: 09 November 2014, 08:28:37 »
Its a good second-line/garrison machine and goes back to the 3050 days of the Clans 'thing' heat issues.  I like the look of it although i'd prefer if one of the lasers was on the other side. or opposite arm.

And as folks said, this is really a design of despiration, the Spirits had a desperate need for anything that could fight and if they had thrown Zell out the window for anyone coming to their world then yeah, packs of these things blazing away at long range would be useful.  Its basically a Blood Spirit equivalent of the Volksjager.

Also thank you for clearing up what the Titanic was, it mentioned the ship in the mech's fluff but never said WHAT it was. 
« Last Edit: 09 November 2014, 08:54:33 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #22 on: 09 November 2014, 10:19:45 »
Also thank you for clearing up what the Titanic was, it mentioned the ship in the mech's fluff but never said WHAT it was.

No problem, I tried piecing together the complete story from both TRO:3075 and The Wars of Reaving. Unfortunately there were still some holes in the tale that I wasn't able to figure out.

There's a good chance, by the way, that a large chunk of the Crimson Hawks shipped to the Blood Spirits were the Heavy Large Laser version. TRO:3075 states "...the Blood Spirits have a fascination with the heavy laser design and that the weapon is an easy match in tonnage and power allotment for the Series 7 lasers, it is reasonable to assume that these Crimson Hawks mounted them instead of the standard extended-range versions."

Both the TRO and the WoR also say that the Crimson Hawk was improved and modified from its original specs from the Sharks, which leaves me wondering what the Spirits could have left out. The XL engine, perhaps?

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #23 on: 09 November 2014, 10:40:15 »
It makes sense that they'd love the HL range. Its probably a simpler weapon to construct (at a guess bigger focusing lenses more power fed into it, less of the safety stuff and shielding) and whilst bulky is lighter so probably less resource intensive which is great for them.  Its also got massive damage for the resources spent. 
« Last Edit: 09 November 2014, 10:47:37 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Rage

• Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 10 November 2014, 00:13:20 »
I think I'd like this 'Mech better if it were 5 tons heavier and used a standard engine. As is, it's a nasty light sniper, even if it can't really keep up that level of fire for very long. I just hate that weird-ass mount on the right jet wing thing. Makes you wonder how exactly those jets work when most, if not all, of the space its meant to go through is taken up by the laser.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 10 November 2014, 16:57:05 »
I think I'd like this 'Mech better if it were 5 tons heavier and used a standard engine. As is, it's a nasty light sniper, even if it can't really keep up that level of fire for very long. I just hate that weird-ass mount on the right jet wing thing. Makes you wonder how exactly those jets work when most, if not all, of the space its meant to go through is taken up by the laser.

It gets even weirder when you look at the mini from behind, the extra jump jets are angled upwards and don't look like they'd be very useful for getting off the ground at all.
Am I the only one who thinks the Crimson Hawk mini has stubby legs?

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #26 on: 12 November 2014, 13:45:37 »
Being a CBS player I'll wade in here. There is nothing remarkable about this mech... By itself. Add it to a star of all crimson hawks. Now think about all those erll's going down range on one target. This is York, we do everything we can to preserve our world. There is no zel here.
 Think about a star of hidden 2's opening up on 1 or 2 targets....  I overheat, OK... I just wasted 2 of your units. I'm in heavy woods , behind other woods. Your other units can't get a bead on me. I'll override and jump away to do it again.

Freedom for York!
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #27 on: 12 November 2014, 20:28:14 »
Being a CBS player I'll wade in here. There is nothing remarkable about this mech... By itself. Add it to a star of all crimson hawks. Now think about all those erll's going down range on one target. This is York, we do everything we can to preserve our world. There is no zel here.
 Think about a star of hidden 2's opening up on 1 or 2 targets....  I overheat, OK... I just wasted 2 of your units. I'm in heavy woods , behind other woods. Your other units can't get a bead on me. I'll override and jump away to do it again.

Freedom for York!

Yeah that pretty much sums it up right there.

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 12 November 2014, 22:49:46 »
Funnily enough, this thread made me realize that my Crimson Hawk mini has no place in the Blood Spirit cluster I want to one day build. . . but it'll look nice in the purple of the Marik Protectors.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 12 November 2014, 23:35:16 »
Funnily enough, this thread made me realize that my Crimson Hawk mini has no place in the Blood Spirit cluster I want to one day build. . . but it'll look nice in the purple of the Marik Protectors.

Build a one off star around it  O0

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #30 on: 12 November 2014, 23:48:05 »
I wonder, would the Crimson Hawk be a design that shines in BV balanced games?  I mean you can pretty much get six Crimson Hawks for three Burrocks.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #31 on: 13 November 2014, 07:37:57 »
I wonder, would the Crimson Hawk be a design that shines in BV balanced games?  I mean you can pretty much get six Crimson Hawks for three Burrocks.

It's the cheapest way to get 2 ER Larges onto the battlefield, and the Crimson Hawk 3 is the cheapest 'Mech with one outside of the Locust IIC 3.
Thing is, there are a lot of single ER Large 'Mechs in their general BV area that I think I'd much prefer having.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #32 on: 13 November 2014, 12:37:06 »
Build a one off star around it  O0

Wait, 5 Crimson Hawks is a point isn't it?  You Spirits treat them as protos don't you?

It's 5 on 1 but none of that dezgra Hellion stuff! ;D

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 13 November 2014, 17:16:01 »
Heh.  If only.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #34 on: 14 November 2014, 12:35:23 »
Originally posted by wantec on the older, deader forums:

Today we're gonna take another walk down Clan-tech lane. This 'Mech is one that is new, and yet not totally new at the same time. Today's 'Mech is the Crimson Hawk.

The Crimson Hawk is new to the Jihad timeline, appearing in TRO3075 and on the cover, but it is also old, first appearing as two unique figures in the second MechWarrior: Dark Age set, Fire For Effect. It appeared as a unique or non-unique figure in four other sets, Death From Above, Liao Incursion, Age of Destruction, and Wolf Strike. The Crimson Hawk, as the name suggests, was initiall conceived and designed by Clan Blood Spirit scientists. Due to some internal design problems, and the Blood Spirit's lack of resources, only a few prototypes were built. During a trade trip to York, a Diamond Shark commander noticed a partially built Crimson Hawk in a hanger. The Sharks won a Trial of Possession in which only two warriors of the defending Binary survived. The prototypes and entire design team were transported to Itabiana in the Inner Sphere where they finished the design, working out all the bugs.

Like the Pack Hunter, the Crimson Hawk is a Light 'Mech with big gun(s). It is only 25 tons, using an XL engine and jump jets to move 5/8/5. I know what some of you may be thinking, "why is that thing only going 5/8/5?" Well running the numbers, it needs to free up 1.5 tons to bump the speed up to 7/11/5, and it needs to free up another 1 ton to get those extra 2 jump jets to get it to 7/11/7. It already uses Ferro and adding Endo Steel only frees up 1 ton. The only way to get the tonnage you need is to trade in weapons. You could trade both ER Large Lasers for an ER PPC, but then you've just got a Pack Hunter that went on a diet and traded the SFE and Endo for an XL and standard structure. And for those folks interested in min-maxed designs, the most efficient use of a 7/11 XL engine is at 40 tons and for a 7/11 SFE you want 35 tons.

To leave behind all the theory and go back to what we actually have in front of us, the 5/8/5 speed of the Crimson Hawk, while it doesn't sound great for a Clan Light 'Mech, it can still get you a +3 movement modifier. While the armor is maxed out, it is only a 25-ton 'Mech, so that means only 89 points of armor total, so getting the highest movement modifier possible is the best bet. Fortunately the Crimson Hawk's weapons help in this area. A pair of ER Large Lasers means you can stand back at long range (well, run or jump around at long range) and take shots where your opponent may not even be able to fire back. Even if they are able to fire back, their long range modifier (+4) plus your movement modifier (+3 hopefully) means that they're not likely to hit unless they have some combo of a good gunner, targeting computer, and/or pulse lasers. The one drawback shows itself in the typical Clan-style of mounting more weapons than the heat sinks can handle. In the case of the Crimson Hawk, there are only 10 double heat sinks, meaning jumping and firing both weapons puts you up to +9 heat, dropping your speed to 4/6/5, and sticking you with a +1 to-hit for your weapon attacks.

Overall I think this is a decent second-line harasser 'Mech which gets better the more terrain there is on the map, there's just a few drawbacks. I can see why the Blood Spirits never quite got it into production (though they might have preferred the Pack Hunter to the Crimson Hawk), and I can also see why the Diamond Sharks love to sell it to whoever's got the cash.

My rating: 5/10, I really like the look of the Crimson Hawk, and I loved it in MechWarrior: Dark Age, but the stats don't quite add up to a good design in most situations.

How I would improve it:
If I've got to make changes to it, since it's about as good as it can get at it's tonnage, and avoiding the skinnier Pack Hunter route, I would remove one ER Large Laser. Then I'd add 2 ER Medium Lasers and a Targeting Computer. The heat issues are only slightly improved, but it gives you better numbers while you jump and snipe at long range.

How I would use it:
I kinda covered this a little earlier, but first off I would only use the Crimson Hawk in places where there was some hills or woods hexes. You don't want so much terrain it cuts off the long ranges, but you need enough to either jump into woods for the extra defensive modifier, or to jump behind when you need to cool off. Since it's going to be jumping and sniping, the better the gunner, the better things will be.

As much as I could I would keep the Crimson Hawk at the edges of the battle, keeping as much range as possible in between it and the enemy. Actually things are going to be pretty similar to the Pack Hunter, you just need to cool off more often if you fire both lasers and you're less likely to head-cap an enemy 'Mech, meaning you're less likely to be shot at.

Variants
The Crimson Hawk 2 variant is fluffed as a Blood Spirit design. With all their salvage from the Star Adders, the Blood Spirit version replaces the ER Large Lasers with two Heavy Large Lasers. With the Heavy Lasers you gain headcapping power, but jumping and firing just one laser will overheat the 'Mech, not to mention the fun rolls you get if you fire both lasers while jumping. Overall, it's a small change, but it's a really bad idea.

If I were given this version, I would drop the second Heavy Large Laser for 2 more double heat sinks, a targeting computer and a Heavy Medium Laser. Now at least you can jump and fire the Heavy Large Laser without overheating, and you have the targeting computer to offset the +1 attack modifier. And if I had to use it as is, I would keep it to urban areas or broken terrain where I could get in close and the shorter range of the Heavy Lasers isn't going to hurt me as much.

My rating: 2/10, using Heavy Lasers means you give up your range advantage and you add in the extra hurt of having a +1 attack modifier and bigger heat issues.

The Crimson Hawk 3 variant is unique to TRO3075, not having been seen in any MechWarrior: Dark Age set. It's a modified design from Clan Wolf in Exile, which uses improved jump jets, but as far as I can tell, it only uses 6 improved jump jets, not 7. The arm-mounted ER Large Laser is replaced with an ER Medium Laser to free up tonnage for the jump jets. The fluff says the internal structure was "reinforced" to handle the jump jets, but if Endo Steel is used, the design is 0.5 tons underweight. The nice thing about this version is that you can jump and fire the weapons for +/- 0 heat, so maybe the Exiles are working on a buddy for their Pack Hunters.

If I were to tweak this one, I would suggest that Endo Steel be used (if it's not already) and that 0.5 tons of armor be shaved off (which brings it to 86 out of 89 points of armor) in order to make room for a 7th improved jump jet. This allows it to get the same movement modifier as the Pack Hunter when jumping, greatly increasing it's survivability and offsetting the armor lost. Also, I would consider swapping the ER Medium Laser for a pair of ER Small Lasers or a Heavy Medium Laser for cloe-in work. Both will give you an added punch up close. If I had to use this version stock, I would use it like the main version, just with the ability to use the ER Medium Laser when someone gets closer.

My rating: 6/10, A good attempt at improving the design. The ability to jump and fire both weapons without heat issues is great, even if it lost some firepower in the process. I can't give it too much of a rating until I can see the record sheet to see how the tonnage is addressed.

I find it interesting that his main suggestion at improving the design has now become pretty much canon with the appearance of the Crimson Hawk 4.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 14 November 2014, 14:49:20 »
Wait, 5 Crimson Hawks is a point isn't it?  You Spirits treat them as protos don't you?

It's 5 on 1 but none of that dezgra Hellion stuff! ;D

With our limited resources? 5 is a cluster  :D

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 14 November 2014, 19:21:15 »
That is interesting, and his comment about playing with the movement curve got me thinking about how to get the speed up so I broke out SSW to see what you can do if you pull the Jump Jets.  The answer is that you can get to 8/12/0 with no other changes, and switching to Endo and dropping 3 points of armor lets you hit a very respectable 9/14/0 and make the Crimson Hawk a very dangerous 'Mech.  Larger would still be better (a 30 ton frame could get to 10/15 and add a bit more armor), but just dropping the Jump Jets and kicking the engine up would put this guy up to an 8 or 9 instead of the 5 it is.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #37 on: 14 November 2014, 21:26:20 »
That is interesting, and his comment about playing with the movement curve got me thinking about how to get the speed up so I broke out SSW to see what you can do if you pull the Jump Jets.  The answer is that you can get to 8/12/0 with no other changes, and switching to Endo and dropping 3 points of armor lets you hit a very respectable 9/14/0 and make the Crimson Hawk a very dangerous 'Mech.  Larger would still be better (a 30 ton frame could get to 10/15 and add a bit more armor), but just dropping the Jump Jets and kicking the engine up would put this guy up to an 8 or 9 instead of the 5 it is.

I like it better at 8/12/0 for sure. 

Fragger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 17 November 2014, 15:15:57 »
Am I the only one who thinks the Crimson Hawk mini has stubby legs?

Replace them with Arbalest legs, looks so much better!

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #39 on: 18 November 2014, 03:05:59 »
I like it better at 8/12/0 for sure.

Kinda makes it a non-omni Fire Falcon.

Replace them with Arbalest legs, looks so much better!

But what do I do with the Arbalest, then?  #P

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 18 November 2014, 11:55:38 »
Sit it on top of a manticore?