Author Topic: Duke Small's material exchange  (Read 918 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Duke Small's material exchange
« on: 30 March 2020, 15:07:13 »
Duke Small of Small World has been trading the use of his planet's wilderness areas with the AFFS and later AFFC as training areas & firing ranges in exchange for military material for his personal forces.  I do not think the Chaos March SB says how long this has been going on, but at most it has been since 4SW when the world was invaded.  So if you were the bureaucrat in the AFFS (and later AFFC) responsible for paying him off in equipment . . . what would you be sending?

Personally I would think its a bunch of the lower ranked militia trash that is being phased out of national service.  Previously used Po and Brutus tanks- ignore the holes- that are deemed marginal for refurb.  Maybe Vindicators from Capellan planetary militias that have been pieced together too many times.  In the early 3050s, equipment retired from national service that was deemed unsuitable for modernization with the 3050s upgrade kits.

The bit of fluff we get to me indicates Duke Small would bargain hard, but might be swayed by quantity rather than quality.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

dgorsman

• Captain
Re: Duke Small's material exchange
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2020, 15:59:36 »
Doesn't the AFFC have a military material department specifically for selling surplus and obsolete gear on the mercenary and friendly open markets?
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2020, 17:09:37 »
Damaged Jagermechs.  Defective Blackjacks.  Ancient Whitworths.  Captured Urbies. 

Only possible new mechs would be clearly garrison material, like Sentries and Watchmen.

Maybe the occasional working Centurion, Enforcer, or bug mech.

Worn-out Partisans, Strikers, and Goblins.

Excess Vedettes, Scorpions, and APCs.

Old ACs for field guns.

Boeing Jump Bombers, Guardians, and maybe the occasional Meteor.

Honestly, when you’re a state with hundreds of worlds and probably thousands of uninhabited continents, large islands, and outbacks, there’s no need to travel to and conduct training exercises on a foreign (if allied) planet.

If it’s really about training exercises, doing them on Small World should have almost no value to the AFFC, and Small World should get the absolute lightest and least useful dregs from the above.

If it’s about having an ally and a base in the Chaos March, then that’s more valuable and some of the heavier and better stuff from the above list should find its way to Small World.
« Last Edit: 30 March 2020, 17:19:54 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2020, 17:57:00 »
Bug 'Mechs, anything IS from TRO:3050

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2020, 19:27:02 »
Honestly, when you’re a state with hundreds of worlds and probably thousands of uninhabited continents, large islands, and outbacks, there’s no need to travel to and conduct training exercises on a foreign (if allied) planet.

If it’s really about training exercises, doing them on Small World should have almost no value to the AFFC, and Small World should get the absolute lightest and least useful dregs from the above.

If it’s about having an ally and a base in the Chaos March, then that’s more valuable and some of the heavier and better stuff from the above list should find its way to Small World.

Well, it was that before OP Guerrero it was supposed to be a world the AFFS went to train . . . I can make plenty of reasons why, but the least political comes down to some form of BTU 'NIMBY.'  Like I said, its in the fluff, so figure units deployed to the Sarna March and maybe nearby Crucis or Capellan March worlds used it to train.

I was honestly thinking about a lot of cast-offs of stuff built in the Sarna & Capellan March, maybe Crucis March or stuff bought from the SIC that has been deemed worn out.

But I DO like the idea of 'Duke Small, you wanted a new mech?  Here is a brand new mech from Robinson!  Its called the Sentry and mounts some of the latest gear!'
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2020, 19:43:36 »
Watchmen could reasonably called "new 'mechs" too!  ^-^

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2020, 22:14:40 »
my guess is that it was chosen because it is largely empty (it's in a severe ice age and the only settlements are near the equator, along with the mines that provide the main income for the world. so lots of empty space and relatively easy to avoid the inhabited bits)
also since it is near the border of the CapCon (but still a few jumps away) from its capture in 3029 up to 3057 when the Chaos march formed, the place is pretty well suited for both a bit of saber rattling (using the training events to intimidate the CapCon into staying quiet)  and for having the units involved in the training in a place they can respond to incursions by the Capcon or even the Combine in that area. it is also a good 'halfway' point between the Fedsuns and Lyran commonwealth.. in the middle of what is technically lyran territory (due to Hanse's wedding gift) and garrisoned by Lyran troops, but also on the Fedsuns side of terra and close to Fedsun's garrisons. makes it easy to arrange training operations between units from both halves of the AFFC.

R.Tempest

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2020, 23:25:31 »
 Maybe Duke Small is also providing the op force for thr units that are training. He could have a bunch of officer's and troops trained in CCAF doctrine. Good training for relatively green troops in the AFFS/LCAF/ AFFC.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2020, 23:35:06 »
Scorpion Mechs. The LC got rid of theirs by 3026. Other Houses were expected to follow. That might be a good place to get rid of them.

Register