Author Topic: Crisis On Infinite Earths crossover  (Read 6527 times)

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Re: Crisis On Infinite Earths crossover
« Reply #30 on: 08 December 2019, 21:04:35 »
After skipping the last season and a half of Arrow, I'm actually enjoying this final season. Probably helps that they only have 10 episodes to fill so the storytelling is far more focused.

Well, did the first hour of the Crisis live up to expectations?

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #31 on: 09 December 2019, 02:16:09 »
For me it met all mine.

Some really good stuff but some bits where it did feel like the writers didn't really fully grasp the kind of power the heroes had on their side but that is partly understandable due to the limits of TV budgets.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #32 on: 09 December 2019, 17:06:46 »
Well, did the first hour of the Crisis live up to expectations?

Yup. I particularly loved how they just dumped us right into the action off the bat. The episode never let up.

It was cool to see Earth-89 and Earth-66 for the first time and also Earth-X again. Not to mention Earth-9 where I guess the current Titans (which I am not watching) and Doom Patrol (which I am) series take place.

Good to see the Legion cruiser again. Considering the original Crisis affected even the far future, I’m hoping we get at least a glimpse of the Legion before the crossover ends, especially if they slip in some members previously unseen on Supergirl.

Can’t wait for the Anti-Monitor to make his appearance and to get more of the backstory.

(One minor—microscopic, really—complaint: In her balcony scene with Kal, I was incredibly distracted by how poorly-fitted Kara’s suit was around her neck. Compare it to Kal’s in the same scene. Brainy needs to step up his tailoring skills.)

I think I’ll reserve more plot-related comments until after Tuesday’s episode, though.

but some bits where it did feel like the writers didn't really fully grasp the kind of power the heroes had on their side but that is partly understandable due to the limits of TV budgets.

I mean, the whole point is kinda that the heroes don’t have enough power on their side.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #33 on: 09 December 2019, 17:39:58 »
I do realize a lot of my complaint is due to the limitations of live action tv(both in terms of medium and associated budget) but I've always just felt the writers and producers have never even had a good grasp on how much power Barry, Kara, and Kal have.

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 09 December 2019, 19:39:52 »

Can’t wait for the Anti-Monitor to make his appearance and to get more of the backstory.

From the after show last night it sounds like they're going to do the backstory of both the Anti-Monitor and Monitor in January.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #35 on: 09 December 2019, 20:43:58 »
Loved how they brought Tom Welling on.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #36 on: 10 December 2019, 20:15:31 »
Was NOT expecting THAT cameo!

Ruger

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 11 December 2019, 00:38:40 »
Well, 2 eps into it, and its not bad, but no where near (TO ME) the best crossover.. 
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #38 on: 11 December 2019, 14:06:04 »
Wow.

So much to love here. Comments on Parts 2 and 3...

• Kevin Conroy knocked it out of the park as old, bitter, kinda villainous Bruce. Just perfect. Though, I have to admit to some excitement when we saw that he was on Earth-99 but then disappointment at no Terry McGinnis.
  • Brandon Routh should so have gotten to make several Superman movies. ****** you, Bryan Singer, for screwing that up with your lame-ass movie. When Lois bumped into Routh's Clark, I think I may have teared up a little.
  • I stopped watching Smallville after season 4 or 5 so I'm not super invested in those characters, but the scene with Tom Welling was perfect. I can totally believe that that version of Clark Kent would give it all up to live on his farm and raise a family. Lex's annoyance with him was great, as was Clark's non-reaction to the kryptonite and then punching out Lex.
  • Though it does make one question just how smart Lex really is. He knows Kara Danvers of his universe is Supergirl, he knows Clark Kent is Superman on other Earths, but he doesn't realize the Clark Kent of his Earth is his Superman? That's an even bigger set of blinders than in the old Byrne-era story where he figures out Supes' identity but dismisses it because of his own preconceived notions.
  • Birds of Prey! (Though I have to admit I'm disappointed that Rachel Skarsten's Dinah Lance didn't make an appearance, considering the actress is actually a main cast member of one of the current CW supershows. I mean, Erica Durance got to play multiple characters, right?)
  • Lucifer! (And, finally, someone pronounced Constantine's name properly!)
  • Black Lightning fit in so well and his scene with Barry discussing their fathers was one of the episode's best. I still need to watch last season and the current one.
  • I have no feelings one way or another regarding Ryan Choi, as I never read his series, but I hope they aren't bringing him in to replace Ray. Though, luckily, he doesn't seem the type to want to go gallivanting around time and space anyway.
  • Ollie as the Spectre. Saw that coming as soon as they killed him off in the first episode and can't wait to see it play out. Makes perfect sense that he would be pegged as the next Spirit of Vengeance.
  • When the multiverse is restored, I really, really want to see an alternate Earth John Diggle who is a Green Lantern.
  • Flash-90 dying instead of our Barry has been predictable all season but it was still heart-breaking. Loved the clip from the old show.
  • Pariah was the worst in the original Crisis and he's awful here as well. At least he isn't always crying, though.
  • I hope going forward we get semi-frequent Kate/Kara team-ups. Unlike with Barry, though, I think it'll be harder to do that if they end up on separate Earths again.
  • I still waver back and forth on whether they will combine Earth-1 and Earth-38. I also waver on whether I want to see that or not.
  • Wackiest cameo idea I had: I would have absolutely lost my shit if they had included a quick animated scene of the Teen Titans Go! universe being eaten by an antimatter wave.
  • Loved Cisco's annoyance at the name “Anti-Monitor” and Pariah's name and costume.

Michael Rosenbaum is the biggest absence from the alternate Earth scenes, but they just couldn't work it out with him for a number of reasons. I also heard that Marc Guggenheim says they even reached out to Keanu, Keaton and Cage to make cameos but they wanted too much money. That would have been cool, especially in Cage's case as we never got to see him in the role of Superman (which, frankly, was probably for the best anyway). I’m still hoping to see Lynda Carter’s Wonder Woman. Any other cameos you wish they had included?
« Last Edit: 11 December 2019, 15:07:17 by roosterboy »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #39 on: 11 December 2019, 14:21:53 »
We went to watch the 1st episode on Monday night, clicked their banner link, and it dumped me right into Aftermath where Kevin Smith blurted out what happened to Ollie.  Horrible set up to their website, I wanted the actual show not the post-show chat!  Unfortunately I have not caught this season of Flash or Arrow, so I will have to go back later, watch and then go through the Cross-Over again.

Its nice to see characters appearing from all over . . . gotta say, Tom Welling aged really well.  Never having completed Smallville (not even half-way on a re-watch), I am not sure if that is where the series was leading but so far it does not strike me as being too far out there for Smallville Clark.  Family was a central theme in that show, so for Superman to give up his powers to become a normal mortal and have children with Lois was a bit of a surprise but not out of character.

Routh's Superman Returns appearance was ok, not sure he was exactly the same as when he dropped in from the movie.  But tying in an attack from Joker, or maybe Scarecrow, to wipe out the staff of the Planet was not something I expected.  Old Batman on a world in the future is to me the possible future of Batman v Superman, especially with the injury comments from Justice League.  Jonah Hexx using a Lazarus Pit on a different Earth was also interesting- especially since Canary ended up giving him scar.  My wife looked at me funny when I started laughing at Burt Ward's outburst in the Ep 1 lead in, had to explain who the short pudgy guy was in the scene.

I definitely applaud the writers efforts to get anyone who was ever a DC character shown or at least referencing the stories.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #40 on: 11 December 2019, 14:58:19 »
I need to "find" the Flash episode and watch it as it's on a year delay here :(

Supergirl and Batwoman we get the day after the US. But Flash, Arrow and Legends are on various lengths of delays. :(

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 11 December 2019, 16:52:10 »
    Wow.

So much to love here. Comments on Parts 2 and 3...

• Brandon Routh should so have gotten to make several Superman movies. ****** you, Bryan Singer, for screwing that up with your lame-ass movie. When Lois bumped into Routh's Clark, I think I may have teared up a little.
    Amongst my circle of gamers, i'm one of only 2 out of over 4 dozen, that liked superman returns, and felt Routh did a good job...

• Though it does make one question just how smart Lex really is. He knows Kara Danvers of his universe is Supergirl, he knows Clark Kent is Superman on other Earths, but he doesn't realize the Clark Kent of his Earth is his Superman? That's an even bigger set of blinders than in the old Byrne-era story where he figures out Supes' identity but dismisses it because of his own preconceived notions.
    Yea, i call BULL on that..

• Lucifer! (And, finally, someone pronounced Constantine's name properly!)
    I laughed at that scene..

• Black Lightning fit in so well and his scene with Barry discussing their fathers was one of the episode's best. I still need to watch last season and the current one.
    I was wondering how they'd bring in Black lightning, but it was sad it had to happen, with his world's demise and the death of his kids..

• When the multiverse is restored, I really, really want to see an alternate Earth John Diggle who is a Green Lantern.
    I wonder, Can they restore them all, or just some?

• Flash-90 dying instead of our Barry has been predictable all season but it was still heart-breaking. Loved the clip from the old show.
    I kept hearing the Monitor saying it was BARRY's time, not just the flash's time..

• Loved Cisco's annoyance at the name “Anti-Monitor” and Pariah's name and costume.

And he's got his powers back... YAY!

I’m still hoping to see Lynda Carter’s Wonder Woman. Any other cameos you wish they had included?

How's about the rest of team arrow..  What about getting Ragman back..

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
    • Major
    « Reply #42 on: 11 December 2019, 18:45:16 »
    Amongst my circle of gamers, i'm one of only 2 out of over 4 dozen, that liked superman returns, and felt Routh did a good job...

I kept hearing the Monitor saying it was BARRY's time, not just the flash's time..

I rather enjoyed Superman Returns myself.

As to Flash-90, he was the Barry Allen from that Earth, so it still works.

Ruger

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
    • Major
    « Reply #43 on: 14 January 2020, 22:07:40 »
    And the Crisis is over,

and the multiverse is back with the CW shows on Earth-Prime, and the various others each in their own realities.

Will have to rewatch the whole thing over again, but seeing the cage at the end saying Gleek has me a bit worried. That was a great character as a little kid (I guess), but not sure I want to see him (and his friends) again.

Who am I kidding? Bring ‘em on!

Ruger

monbvol

• Colonel
    • I said don't look!
    « Reply #44 on: 16 January 2020, 00:17:00 »
    Caught up on it myself and my thoughts(I'll try and not make them too spoilery):

Routh does just need more given to him in terms of script to work with because he has been rather underutilized in Legends to me.  There is some speculation because of a certain montage scene that he might get more work as Superman and I wouldn't argue against that.

I hope they do explain a few things because some characters do seem to have uncertain fates still.

They seem to be setting up things so that cross overs might be more of a regular event and that too is kind of okay with me.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
    « Reply #45 on: 16 January 2020, 00:25:28 »
    And the Crisis is over,

and the multiverse is back with the CW shows on Earth-Prime, and the various others each in their own realities.

Will have to rewatch the whole thing over again, but seeing the cage at the end saying Gleek has me a bit worried. That was a great character as a little kid (I guess), but not sure I want to see him (and his friends) again.

Who am I kidding? Bring ‘em on!

Ruger

Having loved several of the past crossovers, this was i think, their weakest..  Though i did like that they pulled everyone into the same uni.. 
    Wonder, how this will impact black lightning.. 

monbvol

• Colonel
    • I said don't look!
    « Reply #46 on: 16 January 2020, 00:51:15 »
    Yeah I think that is largely due to something I've been maintaining for a while now, that the writers and show runners have let their ambitions exceed their talents.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
    • Major
    • J'accuse!
    « Reply #47 on: 16 January 2020, 02:19:17 »
    Loved every second of it. Especially the final episode. (Well, okay, the President's gushing over Oliver was a bit much considering his... interesting relationship with the law over the years.)

• Marv Wolfman! Wish we could have gotten more than a namecheck of George Pérez.
    • Loved the steely determination in Kara's eyes as she flew to save Kal from the Anti-Monitor. Supergirl's death in the original CoIE will always and forever be my most emotional comics moment and it was nice to see a nod to it here.
    • Infinitely shrinking the Anti-Monitor down into a microscopic universe reminds me of a dying Darkseid falling through time and collapsing the multiverse around him. Or whatever the hell it was that actually happened in Final Crisis.
    • Clark and Lois have sons, plural? Interesting...
    • I hope Lex being alive again (and beloved by the world) will mean more Jon Cryer on Supergirl and possibly even Superman and Lois. He's a great Lex.
    • Got a big kick out of seeing Kate hanging out with Alex and Kara. I would love mini-crossovers with Kara and Kate from time to time, as they have great chemistry and make a great team.
    • John and Lyla got Sara back!
    • Utter surprise to see the DC cinematic Flash pop up. Still have no desire to see any of those movies.
    • Awesome to get the glimpses of other DC shows (Doom Patrol!) and upcoming shows (Stargirl!).
    • Still would have liked to see peeks at some of the DC cartoon universes, but that may be too weird even for these writers.
    • I will never get tired of Mick Rory as a successful and immensely popular romance writer.
    • Inexplicably, Beebo is still funny to me. I'm glad they don't run that joke into the ground.
    • Gleek!
    • Ahhhh, time for a new season of Legends. How I've missed that delightfully batshit show.

Very, very pleased with this crossover. I'd like to see them go smaller next time out because, really, how can you top the destruction and rebirth of the entire multiverse?

VhenRa

• Captain
    « Reply #48 on: 16 January 2020, 05:49:51 »
    Legends of tomorrow, a TV show where asking "Did they write that show on drugs"... might get you an affirmative.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
    « Reply #49 on: 16 January 2020, 20:00:27 »
    Loved every second of it. Especially the final episode. (Well, okay, the President's gushing over Oliver was a bit much considering his... interesting relationship with the law over the years.)

Yea, you'd have thought with all his troubles, how did she even know what happened?

I hope Lex being alive again (and beloved by the world) will mean more Jon Cryer on Supergirl and possibly even Superman and Lois. He's a great Lex.

I like this lex..  He's very good.

John and Lyla got Sara back!

Maybe i missed something, but when did they lose him?

Utter surprise to see the DC cinematic Flash pop up. Still have no desire to see any of those movies.

That was freaky..  And i was lovin it!

I will never get tired of Mick Rory as a successful and immensely popular romance writer.

Though since part 5, was supposedly more legends focused, i was really shocked we didn't get much of anyone else..  Like maybe a cameo from Capt Cold, or Martin stein...

Inexplicably, Beebo is still funny to me. I'm glad they don't run that joke into the ground.

That was one of the few UGGG, moments..

Gleek!

Maybe i'm not a big enough fan of the comics, but who the hell is gleek?  A younger ape thinggy??

Ahhhh, time for a new season of Legends. How I've missed that delightfully batshit show.

Season 1 and 2 were my faves.  Since then, its gotten crappier and crappier to me.  This last one, was the worst IMO.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
    • Major
    • J'accuse!
    « Reply #50 on: 16 January 2020, 20:20:52 »
    Maybe i missed something, but when did they lose him?

John and Lyla had a daughter they named Sara after Sara Lance, who had recently died. (So, season... 3? of Arrow.) Then Barry ****** up the timeline with Flashpoint in early season 3 of The Flash and one of the results was that John and Lyla's kid was now a son named John Jr. instead. But now, after Crisis, they have both Sara and John Jr.!

Maybe i'm not a big enough fan of the comics, but who the hell is gleek?  A younger ape thinggy??

Alien monkey thing from the old Super Friends cartoon.

Season 1 and 2 were my faves.  Since then, its gotten crappier and crappier to me.  This last one, was the worst IMO.

You're high. How else can you not like a season that concludes with a menagerie of mythological creatures having a singalong of a James Taylor song to resurrect a dead character? And the Monitor watches the whole thing like this:

But then he's like this:

« Last Edit: 16 January 2020, 20:22:38 by roosterboy »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
    • Gott Mit Uns
    « Reply #51 on: 16 January 2020, 21:13:56 »
    Well, I liked that Earth 12 was the Green Lantern 'verse . . . I hope that gets us a Lantern visit at some point.  I know the wife & I are looking forward to Legends getting back in swing, part of what makes it fun is that it does not take itself too seriously.

the old Justice League cartoon shout out with the building was great.
    Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

monbvol

• Colonel
    • I said don't look!
    « Reply #52 on: 16 January 2020, 22:20:15 »
    Supposedly that Earth 12 was supposed to be just using recycled footage for the new Green Lantern show coming to HBO later this year.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
    • Gott Mit Uns
    « Reply #53 on: 16 January 2020, 23:00:24 »
    Well, I know it used old movie footage . . .
    Colt Ward

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
    • Major
    « Reply #54 on: 17 January 2020, 05:33:42 »
    Supposedly that Earth 12 was supposed to be just using recycled footage for the new Green Lantern show coming to HBO later this year.

There was already a comment on Arrow by one visitor from a future (alternate?) timeline about how John Diggle didn’t have his ring. And his step-father (IIRC) is General Stewart.

Ruger

monbvol

• Colonel
    • I said don't look!
    « Reply #55 on: 17 January 2020, 12:01:45 »
    That was Superman from Earth 38 during last year's crossover addressing Earth 1's John Diggle who now seems to be on Earth Prime.

I'll have to dig up the primary source but the new Green Lantern series has been confirmed to be on Earth 12 by the show runners.

So what this means for who we've come to know as John Diggle and the actor that plays him I'm not sure yet.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
    « Reply #56 on: 17 January 2020, 12:13:00 »
    Well since arrow's done at the end of this season, perhaps diggle retires with the wifey..  and on earth 12, the ACTOR takes over the green lantern mantle.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
    • Major
    « Reply #57 on: 17 January 2020, 12:19:01 »
    Well since arrow's done at the end of this season, perhaps diggle retires with the wifey..  and on earth 12, the ACTOR takes over the green lantern mantle.

The show is supposed to have two primary GL’s from Earth from my understanding. If they go old school, that means Hal Jordan and John Stewart.

Ruger

monbvol

• Colonel
    • I said don't look!
    « Reply #58 on: 17 January 2020, 12:27:38 »
    It is supposed to be a decades spanning time frame as well.

Plus I can't find any casting info for this new show.

So still no solid information to go off of.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
    • Captain
    « Reply #59 on: 17 January 2020, 14:28:46 »
    Bah, Guy Gardner FTW!