Author Topic: Brush or toothpick to paint a cockpit?  (Read 1529 times)

MarauderD

• Major
Brush or toothpick to paint a cockpit?
« on: 12 July 2020, 09:03:54 »
Gents,

I’m looking at the GoAC box set Locust and Shadow Hawk right now.  I know nothing about paint brushes.  I have a brush that says 3/0 on it and it looks WAY too big to carefully paint the cockpit. 

What tools do you use to paint the really tiny details like cockpits?  Any suggestions welcome. 

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: Brush or toothpick to paint a cockpit?
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2020, 09:16:47 »
Brush:

I have:

H.J Gold Sable Series 750, 10/0

Here's an example:

https://store.opusartsupplies.com/sagro/storefront/store.php?mode=browsecategory&category=5608

Yes, it's a local to Vancouver Art Store, but should be able to fins something comparable locally.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2020, 11:07:19 »
I paint with a Windsor and Newton Series 7 3/0 Kolinsky Sable Round... There isn't a lot that I can't do with this brush (granted, I don't do base coats and dry brushing, as it will tear the brush up faster)... They aren't cheap, but the are quality.

Caz

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2020, 12:15:38 »
If you're going to paint invest in brushes. Get a variety of sizes and shapes. Flat/wide brushes are good for base coating. Small/round brushes are good for detail work.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2020, 12:57:57 »
I've used a toothpick for tight detail locations. I'd make 2 suggestions if you do. 1: chew the tip of the toothpick to soften it a little bit first. 2: thin the paint so the deep strokes the ridged tip leaves in the paint will flow out for a more even finish.
But I would say a 3/0 brush should work fine. The cockpit panels for both of those models are pretty deeply moulded so unless you overload the paint or get really shaky, they should paint up fine.

Guardian11

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2020, 13:35:25 »
Another tip is to paint from the inside out. Meaning paint recessed areas before painting raised areas as it is generally easier to avoid making as much of a mess painting raised areas compared to recessed. Plus, any overpainting of recessed areas is covered up when you go over the raised areas around it.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2020, 19:19:55 »
i'm lazy and use a micron pen

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2020, 03:53:15 »
I use a 0 for fine details.  Anything smaller and the paint dries on the way to the mini; I have no luck with smaller brushes. 

Here's an infantry figure from GW's old 6mm game.  He's on a Uni-ball pen for scale, and I'm happy with how he came out.  The tip is what matters.  Any decent brush will be pointy when new, but the high-end ones remain pointy for longer.  Eventually they start to hook or splay, and then it's time to replace them.  You can extend their life with brush soap that you apply at the end of painting and rinse off next time you start - and, of course, just being gentle with the brush.  Thin your paints!

« Last Edit: 13 July 2020, 03:57:53 by carlisimo »

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 16 July 2020, 22:45:42 »
I'll second Carlismo's comment on brush tips. My good brushes are way sharper than any wooden toothpick I've ever seen.

For 80% of cockpits, I use a Raphael series 8404 #1. For the really small ones, I'll drop to a W&N series 7 #0.

Using a larger, sharper brush can be intimidating, and can also take some practice. There's nothing wrong with going after small details with a 3/0, 10/0, or even smaller brush. That said, I no longer own anything smaller than the W&N #0 I mentioned above for pretty much the reasons Carlismo already listed.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #9 on: 16 July 2020, 23:23:16 »
If you're after black cockpits, use a Uniball pen! 0.5mm is find - eg. not the ultra-thin & fragile ones.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 17 July 2020, 08:47:00 »
So I spent $6 on a fine detail brush 10/0 and the cockpits came out fine.  It was actually easier than I thought it would be.  I must say, from the new generation of AGoAC and Beginner’s Box mechs, the worst cockpit is the Cylon eye style cockpit on the Thud.  How in the world are you supposed to paint that thing?

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 17 July 2020, 09:06:07 »
Probably just paint it black and add a thin line of brighter paint along the bottom edge? Or just paint the 'hatch' on the top of the cockpit to look like the window, which i've seen a lot of people do and it looks pretty good (if not exactly accurate to the art)

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 17 July 2020, 10:06:51 »
Probably just paint it black and add a thin line of brighter paint along the bottom edge? Or just paint the 'hatch' on the top of the cockpit to look like the window, which i've seen a lot of people do and it looks pretty good (if not exactly accurate to the art)

Juodas:  I can't see your name without thinking of the HBS forums where you craved quads for so long.  Nice to see you!

Yeah, I thought about that.  My issue was that I was able to paint the Cylon eye with a coat of paint.  But the surface area was so small, you couldn't see it at all!  So it looked like an unpainted cockpit until you put the darn thing up your own nose to see it.  So I did an old man cheat and painted a bit of the surface area around the cockpit on the upper and lower hatch so you could see it better.  My 6 year old daughter says I ruined it (but she has perfect eyesight) but now I can see it and I'm more satisfied with the result.  These are my first minis since the early 80s and I'm shooting for table ready with my kids and brother-in-law, not Camospecs.

Cheers,

mad

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 17 July 2020, 11:17:08 »
Juodas:  I can't see your name without thinking of the HBS forums where you craved quads for so long.  Nice to see you!

Yeah, I thought about that.  My issue was that I was able to paint the Cylon eye with a coat of paint.  But the surface area was so small, you couldn't see it at all!  So it looked like an unpainted cockpit until you put the darn thing up your own nose to see it.  So I did an old man cheat and painted a bit of the surface area around the cockpit on the upper and lower hatch so you could see it better.  My 6 year old daughter says I ruined it (but she has perfect eyesight) but now I can see it and I'm more satisfied with the result.  These are my first minis since the early 80s and I'm shooting for table ready with my kids and brother-in-law, not Camospecs.

Cheers,

mad

For what it’s worth:

I work with larger brushes, but I can’t see squat without some degree of magnification, and some very bright lights. As I get older, that only gets worse.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 17 July 2020, 12:06:26 »
I used a 2x magnification glass clamped onto my kitchen counter, a ton of LED lights, and a camping light affixed to my forehead.  It was barely enough light for me, but it worked.  So I think we're in the same boat on eyesight. 

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #15 on: 18 July 2020, 14:24:27 »
I use a 0 for fine details.  Anything smaller and the paint dries on the way to the mini; I have no luck with smaller brushes. 

Here's an infantry figure from GW's old 6mm game.  He's on a Uni-ball pen for scale, and I'm happy with how he came out.  The tip is what matters.  Any decent brush will be pointy when new, but the high-end ones remain pointy for longer.  Eventually they start to hook or splay, and then it's time to replace them.  You can extend their life with brush soap that you apply at the end of painting and rinse off next time you start - and, of course, just being gentle with the brush.  Thin your paints!

Wise words. A sharp tip is what matters. The toothpick is not as good as it may look. You lose a lot of control, especially the regarding the amount of paint. There's other problem, it limits you. Only practice with the brush will improve your skills. The toothpick technique may stagnate your skills.

BTW. Nice miniature, very well painted.
« Last Edit: 18 July 2020, 14:26:32 by God and Davion »
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross