Author Topic: Growing your fleet  (Read 72185 times)

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
Re: Growing your fleet
« Reply #270 on: 18 November 2019, 09:48:04 »
The biggest secret build of all is the Perigard Zalman.  No registration there...
Well, the other registrated the Perigard Zalman, when this ship attacked. This is the Way of the Clans, is not it?  ;)
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #271 on: 18 November 2019, 10:11:01 »
Well, the other registrated the Perigard Zalman, when this ship attacked. This is the Way of the Clans, is not it?  ;)

Aff.  That was its Trial of Position. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #272 on: 18 November 2019, 10:17:28 »
Such a fine line it is with the Clans.  You keep things by defending them in trials, not hiding them.  If the other Clans don't bother looking that doesn't count as hiding it.   :fine_print:
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #273 on: 23 November 2019, 16:01:23 »
The biggest 'forgotten' caches are ones controlled by extinct Clans like the Mongoose or the Widowmakers when all there warriors were killed who knew the locations of those caches. Others like the Wolverines may have left ships behind and hidden that are lost but the Clans overall may have general caches that have been the primary source of warships. But remember there is a reason why many were cached to begin with. Damage that could not be repaired easy, damaged components, not enough trained crews. Things like that.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #274 on: 24 November 2019, 09:39:19 »
IIRC, the Star-League-in-Exile did mothball their ships in caches in the 5 star systems of the Pentagon worlds.
Given the text I got the idea that many Clans did have small naval caches of their own (given the ships distributed to them after the success of Operation Klondike), but there were still the great caches of the SLiE.
Certain Clans are mentioned of being responsible for or having exceptional large naval caches (Snow Raven, Diamond Shark/Sea Fox, Nova Cat, Star Adder).
So I think these Clans did have access to more warships than others.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #275 on: 29 November 2019, 18:51:40 »
IIRC, the Star-League-in-Exile did mothball their ships in caches in the 5 star systems of the Pentagon worlds.
Given the text I got the idea that many Clans did have small naval caches of their own (given the ships distributed to them after the success of Operation Klondike), but there were still the great caches of the SLiE.
Certain Clans are mentioned of being responsible for or having exceptional large naval caches (Snow Raven, Diamond Shark/Sea Fox, Nova Cat, Star Adder).
So I think these Clans did have access to more warships than others.

Post Klondike I have to think the big caches were hit up for the choicest ships and those were activated as needed and the second tier of those activated ships were then cached again for a rainy day.

As navies quickly seemed to have fallen out of favor in the golden century except for notable exceptions like the mongoose absorption I would think that any mothballed ship were in pretty good shape.

For example FM Warden clans stated that the cloud cobras had all their warships on active duty but post wars of reaving they busted open a cache that had two soyez in it.

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #276 on: 30 November 2019, 11:42:59 »
Do we know if all warships from the Exodus fleet have been accounted yet?

Or are there still missing a number?

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #277 on: 30 November 2019, 16:17:19 »
Do we know if all warships from the Exodus fleet have been accounted yet?

Or are there still missing a number?

As plot device most caches that specific clans controlled are pretty empty. So as a plot device we would need to discover lost ones or request one from the big caches if those are not tapped

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #278 on: 01 December 2019, 04:23:49 »
As far as i know we still don't have exact numbers of any ship class in the exodus fleet. We have a total number and we have details on some ship classes. So we have a lot of space for speculation. Mostly empty caches have still some ships to surprise us all.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #279 on: 02 December 2019, 11:30:15 »
What solid numbers we do have (like McKennas, Avatars and Kimigure) can be offset by the Exodus Civil War infighting- we know ships were lost as the polities battled among themselves.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #280 on: 02 December 2019, 11:44:36 »
Sure, but we also have no hard number on the numbers of lost ships. In few examples we have specific ships mentioned that are lost.
So overall we have a huge contingent of ships with unclear class and status. Enough for the writers and players to reactivate almost any ship if needed. ;)

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #281 on: 02 December 2019, 15:33:51 »
we have a solid number of 402 warships in the Exodus,  Aegis is the most numerous class of 35 ships, Lola III is second most numerous class of 32 ships, 29 Potemkin class are the only hard numbers i can definitively say.    we don't know how many house warships aside from the 3 Makos, 1 Dui Shi Wang and 1 Samarkand.   if you add all the know Clan warships existing before the Refusal war, abjuration of the Nova Cats and the War of Reaving, it totals 286 warships. 
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #282 on: 03 December 2019, 10:42:37 »
The McKenna, Kimigure (5), Riga/York and Avatar/Liberator numbers are also known . . . to the point it is canon the Ravens were building brand new Yorks now instead of refitting old SL ships into that class.

The 286 number therefore gets problematic b/c . . . new built York, new ship classes in use like the Nightlord and Fredasa, and finally we know more Clan originals ended up in mothballs like the Molyina and Peregrine.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #283 on: 04 December 2019, 14:19:50 »
There are far more Mckennas unaccounted for then ones we know the status of.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #284 on: 04 December 2019, 16:16:00 »
I thought the problem with the McKennas is there was 1 more than was said to have survived the retaking of Terra . . . so 16 were left to head off with Kerensky.

Quick look gives me-
SLS Zughoffer Wier      Blake
CGS Lei Kung         Goliath Scorpion
CSR James McKenna      Snow Raven
CW Werewolf         Warden Wolves
CSJ Obsidian         Smoke Jaguars, lost in Golden Century to Mongoose
CCC Second Coming      Cloud Cobra
CIH Cage’s Pride      Ice Hellions
McKenna’s Pride              Clan flagship, Aleksandr’s tomb
CSA Sovereign Right      Star Adders
Colt Ward

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #285 on: 04 December 2019, 16:54:45 »
This still doesn't answer how many Pinto and Wagon Wheels went after being captured during the Reunification War, also while there isn't any known examples, a single Winchester could be another example of Kerensky to hide in plain site. And further examples are if any Athena class cruisers went along as well, that class is MoC exclusive.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #286 on: 07 December 2019, 12:22:07 »
I thought the problem with the McKennas is there was 1 more than was said to have survived the retaking of Terra . . . so 16 were left to head off with Kerensky.

Quick look gives me-
SLS Zughoffer Wier      Blake
CGS Lei Kung         Goliath Scorpion
CSR James McKenna      Snow Raven
CW Werewolf         Warden Wolves
CSJ Obsidian         Smoke Jaguars, lost in Golden Century to Mongoose
CCC Second Coming      Cloud Cobra
CIH Cage’s Pride      Ice Hellions
McKenna’s Pride              Clan flagship, Aleksandr’s tomb
CSA Sovereign Right      Star Adders

Eighteen left with Kerensky after the Amaris Coup. Which means half are unaccounted for officially. I think one or two May/Likely have been destroyed during the Pentagon Wars and others stripped for parts to keep others running but a few more had to survive in some form or another being a stripped hulk or sitting forgotten in a general Clan cache. 

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #287 on: 08 December 2019, 11:55:29 »
I think the missing McKennas are mothballed and can be reactivated.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #288 on: 08 December 2019, 12:22:49 »
I think the missing McKennas are mothballed and can be reactivated.

Mothballed ones are likely but the question is there condition at the time they were mothballed. I could see the Clans keeping in service the best ones available and leaving the damaged ones behind. Many could be badly damaged, broken keeled, or stripped hulls. Or they could be like new which begs the question why some smaller Clans like the Burrocks or the Blood Spirits had not pulled one for there own use.

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #289 on: 08 December 2019, 13:23:48 »
Maintaining these behemoths could be far too expensive for these Clans or this ship class did not fit their philisophy of warfare.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #290 on: 08 December 2019, 13:25:06 »
Or a trial of possession is required, and they could not/did not win.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #291 on: 08 December 2019, 13:32:08 »
Eighteen left with Kerensky after the Amaris Coup. Which means half are unaccounted for officially. I think one or two May/Likely have been destroyed during the Pentagon Wars and others stripped for parts to keep others running but a few more had to survive in some form or another being a stripped hulk or sitting forgotten in a general Clan cache.

16 was the sourced number, and I just hit the Clan toumans I remembered as having one- might have been more I missed.  The SLS Michigan MIGHT have been a McKenna, though likely was not.  Due to building Nightlords, rather than refurbishing McKennas I would say any that remained were in the same or worse shape than the Quicksilver Mongoose.  Did we ever get a break down of the Widowmaker & Wolf fleet losses during that Absorption?
Colt Ward

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #292 on: 09 December 2019, 08:57:32 »
The SLS Michigan MIGHT have been a McKenna, though likely was not.

Probably a Texas class. I seem to recall a few Texas class ships being named after states and cities.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #293 on: 09 December 2019, 12:53:57 »
Yeah, IIRC it discussed firing its guns and sending off missiles . . . some conjecture said it was a Black Lion, but for flying into the midst of Nicki's pursuit fleet I lean towards a BB.

McKenna's naming conventions seemed to be more about legacy names.
Colt Ward

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #294 on: 09 December 2019, 14:40:18 »
I recall all the ships of Wolf's Dragoons came from the Widowmaker cache...

Leading to a certain Blood named Star Colonel of Widowmaker ancestry to lead the charge.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #295 on: 07 January 2020, 18:45:45 »
As I am building up my kindraa mick kreese which in canon has a Lola and Potemkin I had a question:

In my AU I going to have the mandrills and spirits attempt to seize Albion the former burrock capital including the shipyards and cached ships.

For kindraa mick kreese what would be more advantageous the yards or the ships?

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #296 on: 09 January 2020, 11:45:24 »
As I am building up my kindraa mick kreese which in canon has a Lola and Potemkin I had a question:

In my AU I going to have the mandrills and spirits attempt to seize Albion the former burrock capital including the shipyards and cached ships.

For kindraa mick kreese what would be more advantageous the yards or the ships?
IMHO the yards.
So they can better maintain their ships and offer maintainance to others for good a profit.

BTW something I have wondered is that the Clans seem to have no info about naval caches left in the Inner Sphere by Kerensky and the SLDF.
They should have known about Gabriel, Luyten and others.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #297 on: 09 January 2020, 11:51:53 »
Well, Alex Kerensky may have known about them . . . and the information could be in the Katyusha City databases but most of the Clan founders were ground pounders, which means it may not have been transferred to each Clan's own computer banks.  I THINK you can assume the Ravens know about it- after all they were digging around Quatre Bell and in the OA area as part of their move to the IS . . . and IMO they had to choose that area for a reason, b/c it put a decent amount of space between them and their best buds the Bears.
Colt Ward

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #298 on: 09 January 2020, 13:01:07 »
And to be honest the early to mid Clans weren't big on history, aside from heavily romanticized versions like all the variations of the Rememberance.  Lots of information would have been left behind in old data centers rather than being migrated.
- The Society

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #299 on: 11 January 2020, 08:55:50 »
IMHO the yards.
So they can better maintain their ships and others for a profit

I think so as well. As with so many things warships were a touchy subject with the mandrills and a very delicate had to be maintained. In their quest to become the main naval kindraa having a yard they controlled and perhaps one additional ship would cement their naval superiority and also benefiting the mandrills as a whole new if played smart *

* I recognize that is usually not how they did things 😀

Register