Author Topic: Unit/Scheme of the Month: Homebrew Extravaganza!  (Read 5359 times)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Unit/Scheme of the Month: Homebrew Extravaganza!
« on: 02 September 2019, 20:57:34 »
Welcome to September everyone!  Hope none of you have melted out there during the summer heat.  Big thanks out to everyone who posted last month.  Was a good showing for the Cappies.  The Celestial Throne is happy. ;D

This month we have a special feature: homebrew!  That's right, time to parade out all those custom jobs out there.  We've all done it.  Our personal merc unit, tricked out the way we want.  A non-canon scheme for a House force.  Clan units in colors no one has seen before.  They are out there, and now it's their time to shine!  Stories of the units are welcome as well.

I've got two entries for this month.  The merc group I painted up for my stepson (that I have now stolen  >:D ) and a Clan command star I painted with no faction in mind.  Just playing with paints. :)  The merc group is known as the Halo Division.  Seemed fitting since my stepson choose the colors from one of his Halo games.  No story for them yet, but there will be someday...

Next month we step into the last round of camo schemes with plains, swamp, and dazzle camouflages.  Extra bonus for Halloween: Solaris VII colors!  November will bring us around to our final Clan stop: Clans Stone Lion, Widowmaker, Burrock, and the most hated of all, Wolverine/Minnesota Tribe.

Have a great month everyone!  Time to watch the show. :popcorn:
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Luciora

• Major
Re: Unit/Scheme of the Month: Homebrew Extravaganza!
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2019, 01:07:00 »
I painted this scheme a long time ago, based off some character artwork.  But the units could fit a 2nd Succession War era unit, so I'll say it represents the command lance of Xiao's Cassions.

I kind of envisioned the unit as a chance meeting between a Liao penal ammo unit and a smashed Marik unit that happened to shelter in the same village, realized they had more in common together and merged to form a mercenary group than ended up staying in Marik space.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2019, 19:53:06 »
My Homebrew is the Stormbringers... This unit consists of The 349th Dragoons, 256th Support Group, The Independent Recon Group (IRG), 1st Pascagula Hussars, 2nd Pascagula Hussars and The Andorrian War College...

349th Dragoons #002 - Lt. Colonel LeeAnn Morgan - ANH-1V Annihilator (x2-ML, x2-LL, x2-AC/5)

349th Dragoons #003 - Major David Neal - CP 10-Z Cyclops

349th Dragoons #007 - Mechwarrior Mary L. Graham - LGB-FA Longbow (x2 LRM-15, x2 LRM-10, x4 ML)

349th Dragoons #008 - Mechwarrior Clarrisa Deza De Sanchez - GOL-1H Goliath (x2 LRM-15, x1 LL, x2 ML)

349th Dragoons #010 - Mechwarrior William N. McLaughlin - VTR-9B Victor
(Note: No idea what happened to the pictures I had)

349th Dragoons #044 - Mechwarrior Nolan Riggs - MAD-3M Marauder

349th Dragoons #069 - Lieutenant Kiera Nguyen - HGN-733 Highlander

349th Dragoons #071 - Mechwarrior Lilah Banes - GHR-5H Grasshopper

349th Dragoons #092 - Mechwarrior Amanda Thorne - SHD-3J Shadowhawk (x1 LRM-15, x1 LL, x3 ML)

349th Dragoons #096 - Mechwarrior James Crownover - ROG-1G Rogue (x1 LL, x2 ML, x1 SRM-6)

349th Dragoons #130 - Mechwarrior Brett Pollak - RFL-3N Rifleman

349th Dragoons #131 - Mechwarrior Jacob Bourdeaux - MAD-3D Marauder

349th Dragoons #134 - Mechwarrior Jolly Pruett - MAD-4M Marauder (x2 LL, x2 ML, x1 LRM-15)

349th Dragoons #142 - Mechwarrior Lynn Teague - SCP-1N Scorpion

349th Dragoons #143 - Mechwarrior Luis Vicini - CRB-22 Crab

349th Dragoons - Misc. Scouts

256th Support Group - #004 Mechwarrior Rebecca Jordan - RLN-3C Rifleman

256th Support Group - VPL-2L Viper Attack Helicopter

256th Support Group - Misc. Scouts

Independent Recon Group - BLS-2N Ballista Missile System

Independent Recon Group - Boomerang Spotter Plane

Independent Recon Group - Misc. Scouts

Caz

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2019, 20:21:36 »
WOW! just WOW! :thumbsup:

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2019, 20:39:56 »
WOW! just WOW! :thumbsup:

Sooooo seconded!

Especially with regards to that amazing Goliath !!! :thumbsup:

Lyran Wolf

• Come the Millenial!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2019, 20:58:20 »
All of these are phenomenal.  Well done. :drool:
CDT Agent #1000
Author - The Weight of a Name (Shrapnel #4), Hard Choices (Shrapnel #14)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #6 on: 03 September 2019, 22:46:31 »
That's another big WOW :o for me as well.  Thanks for sharing! 8) 8) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And from the looks of them, I wouldn't want to run into that crew ever. :yikes:
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 06 September 2019, 07:50:06 »
Especially with regards to that amazing Goliath !!!

And when I do another, I've already go a couple of ideas to try and improve on it.

I wouldn't want to run into that crew ever.

If you notice the numbers, there are a lot of gaps. What is that, 14 'Mechs and a handful or two of conventionals from a unit that has something like 35 'Mech companies and a couple of Behemoths full of conventionals (not even including Aerospace)... That is a lot of unit left to paint...

As I've said before, if I can't die until I have painted all of my minis (are all the minis I have planned), I am pretty much immortal...  :D

Caz

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 06 September 2019, 07:51:22 »
This can't be everyone who has a Homebrew unit!!! Come on, where are everyone else's pictures!?

Crackerb0x

• CamoSpecs
  • Master Sergeant
  • Alpha Strike Apologist
« Reply #9 on: 06 September 2019, 09:15:21 »
My mercenaries, the Supernovas, inspired by a Titanfall 2 camo scheme and a love of Synthwave genre color themes, I wanted to make just a super bold paintjob that was also very "me" flavored instead of flavored by the universe.

.RL

• Master Sergeant
  • Freeborn Scum
« Reply #10 on: 06 September 2019, 09:30:03 »
My mercenaries, the Supernovas, inspired by a Titanfall 2 camo scheme and a love of Synthwave genre color themes, I wanted to make just a super bold paintjob that was also very "me" flavored instead of flavored by the universe.

I love it. The color combination is very well put together. 
A bit obsessed with the BattleTech universe since I saw the glorious TV show as a kid...

My humble offering of painted 'Mechs

Crackerb0x

• CamoSpecs
  • Master Sergeant
  • Alpha Strike Apologist
« Reply #11 on: 06 September 2019, 10:13:54 »
I love it. The color combination is very well put together. 

Thank you for the kind words!

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #12 on: 06 September 2019, 10:34:25 »
Not that many mechs using such a paint scheme, mostly older paint jobs.

The Marauder is one of my oldest paint jobs. Idea was just a good camo, so green on the top and lighter coloured on the bottom. No specific unit.
The Silver Fox is a Solaris VII mech, so this is a Solaris paint job (inspired by a bottle of Cognac i've seen some time ago).
The Nightsky is an animal, so i painted it as a barbaric beast splattering other mechs. No specific unit assigned.

shadowdancer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 07 September 2019, 22:15:04 »
Part one. Here is The High Plains Drifters again. I have posted them before. Named after a mechforce chapter. An elite unit like the Black Widow's unit. Hit hard, hit fast and don't stop.
Wishing the Worse on your Enemies
Contact the 13th Armored Calvary
Deliverers of "BAD LUCK"
Anytime
Anyplace
If the Price is Right

shadowdancer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 07 September 2019, 22:15:57 »
Part2. Here is The High Plains Drifters again. I have posted them before. Named after a mechforce chapter. An elite unit like the Black Widow's unit. Hit hard, hit fast and don't stop.
Deliverers of "BAD LUCK"
Anytime
Anyplace
If the Price is Right

shadowdancer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 07 September 2019, 22:49:19 »
PART 1. The 13th Armored Calvary  Co.. First Combat Command the Lycons. General Cory(but call him Commander or he will hurt you (no seriously!)). He believes in speed so the unit is a striker unit. It is made up of units that are fast, the slowest is 5/8/5 except for the regimental support troop. The first picture is of the Command Troop of the Regimental Command Squadron. The second is of the Regimental Command Squadron Sabre Command Troop. The next 3 are of the First Combat Command Sabre. Troops are 6 units strong, squadrons are 3 troops and the sabre is made up of three combat squadrons and a support squadron. Battle armor are made up of 6 suits. Although some are just 4 strong because of transport. As Mauve Wolf's theory that you must push as much fire power forward as you can.
The Command Troop of the Regimental Command Squadron are all refitted with clan weapons and some have clan FF armor. The Cicada and Osiris have both been slow to do this to 7/11/7. The Wraith is Commander Cory's ride and has been clan upgraded except internal frame. The compromise reached between officers and Cory as they felt that he needed a more substantial ride.
Deliverers of "BAD LUCK"
Anytime
Anyplace
If the Price is Right

shadowdancer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 07 September 2019, 22:53:48 »
PART 2. PART 1. The 13th Armored Calvary  Co.. First Combat Command the Lycons. General Cory(but call him Commander or he will hurt you (no seriously!)). He believes in speed so the unit is a striker unit. It is made up of units that are fast, the slowest is 5/8/5 except for the regimental support troop. The first picture is of the Command Troop of the Regimental Command Squadron. The second is of the Regimental Command Squadron Sabre Command Troop. The next 3 are of the First Combat Command Sabre. Troops are 6 units strong, squadrons are 3 troops and the sabre is made up of three combat squadrons and a support squadron. Battle armor are made up of 6 suits. Although some are just 4 strong because of transport. As Mauve Wolf's theory that you must push as much fire power forward as you can.
The Command Troop of the Regimental Command Squadron are all refitted with clan weapons and some have clan FF armor. The Cicada and Osiris have both been slow to do this to 7/11/7. The Wraith is Commander Cory's ride and has been clan upgraded except internal frame. The compromise reached between officers and Cory as they felt that he needed a more substantial ride.
Support unit was not listed as my back gave out digging stuff up and putting it away. Hope to post it later.
Deliverers of "BAD LUCK"
Anytime
Anyplace
If the Price is Right

shadowdancer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 07 September 2019, 22:56:40 »
Here is a Unit attached to the 13th Armored Cav. CO. called the Lucky 13.
Deliverers of "BAD LUCK"
Anytime
Anyplace
If the Price is Right

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 07 September 2019, 23:31:53 »
A Shilone, from the Aerospace unit, Idol Defense Force Hummingbird.

shadowdancer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 08 September 2019, 18:43:25 »
PART 3. The Command Squadron and the Support Sabre are the next set of pictures. The last picture are of two mechs that did not get into their unit pictures. They are the Raijin 101-C belongs in the 2nd Sabre to the 1st Squadron 3rd Troop. The Eagle belongs in the 2nd Sabre to the 1st Squadron 1st Troop.
Deliverers of "BAD LUCK"
Anytime
Anyplace
If the Price is Right

shadowdancer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 08 September 2019, 18:46:19 »
PART 4. The Command Squadron and the Support Sabre are the next set of pictures. The last picture are of two mechs that did not get into their unit pictures. They are the Raijin 101-C belongs in the 2nd Sabre to the 1st Squadron 3rd Troop. The Eagle belongs in the 2nd Sabre to the 1st Squadron 1st Troop. These pictures are the 2nd and 3rd Squadrons of the Support Sabre.
Deliverers of "BAD LUCK"
Anytime
Anyplace
If the Price is Right

shadowdancer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 08 September 2019, 18:58:57 »
New units. Flash back 30+ years. The top row are the Beast Masters. The second row are the Red Coats. The third is The Street Sweepers.
The second picture are the Golden Ninjas top row, second row the Blue Bushwhacker's and the 3rd row the McKights (great grand mothers maiden name).

Also the green mech in the 1st Sabre, 2nd Squadron, 3rd Troop is a new replacement that had not made it to the paint shop yet.
Deliverers of "BAD LUCK"
Anytime
Anyplace
If the Price is Right

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #22 on: 08 September 2019, 19:24:33 »
I could post up yet again PINK MENACE, but, I also Have NEON's KNIGHTS ;)

AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #23 on: 08 September 2019, 20:28:23 »
 :o Wow guys!  You all are putting up some really great stuff.  Keep it coming! 8) :thumbsup:

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 08 September 2019, 20:58:09 »
The unit is called Ariel's Ponys.  It was a miscellaneous decal in FPG, and I went with an aquatic based camo, evoking a weedy shoreline, as the units were meant to ambush from the ocean from level 1 water.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #25 on: 08 September 2019, 23:02:50 »
The Former 66th - "Litany Against Fear"

Homebrew mercenary unit that grew to company size and got tanked by the Bears at the beginning of the invasion.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #26 on: 11 September 2019, 15:49:19 »
Well, there's my homebrew scheme that became canon - the Battle Corps! Tan, with blue trim, and left leg optionally in colours representing the warrior's previous faction.

Okina Shigota - tan, emerald stripe on lower right leg, and chameeze markings on shoulders/turrets. The Chameeze is a giraffe-like predator found on many worlds in the DCMS.

My take on Marik Guards - light grey with white clouds, and purple trim. No canon scheme exists for this canon unit.

And the big one - the Jerichos. Which is basically Lyran guards in brown & green.

* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #27 on: 11 September 2019, 16:15:34 »
Nicely done!

For some reason the Jerichos really pop for me  :thumbsup:

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #28 on: 11 September 2019, 18:11:55 »
The gift of Jericho... drink it in, mannnnnnnnnnn.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #29 on: 11 September 2019, 20:41:30 »
A few of my Marian Mercs The Last Legion

"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."