Author Topic: 2011-0316 Koshi / Black Hawk [BattleCorps Exclusive]  (Read 5451 times)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
2011-0316 Koshi / Black Hawk [BattleCorps Exclusive]
« on: 16 March 2011, 14:07:16 »
A TRO for the Koshi from DTP: Liao

A TRO for the Black Hawk from DTP: Liao

The release of Dark Age Turn Points: Liao marks a step forward in the BattleTech timeline, so we wanted to make a bit more to offer to our subscribers. Patrick Wynne, writer of DTP: Liao, has crafted two Technical Readout-style entries for two of the 'Mechs from that PDF Exclusive product, and we're making them available only to BattleCorps subscribers.

Daishi411

• Captain
Re: 2011-0316 Koshi / Black Hawk [BattleCorps Exclusive]
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2011, 13:58:54 »
who are the howler monkeys company. the description says infamous, yet i've never read an entry anywhere about them (that's not to say i know everything, far from, but if they're infamous then surely we should have heard something about them prior to this entry)
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

Eisenwolf

• Sergeant
  • Martius Lupus
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2011, 14:17:08 »
Very nice.  :)

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
  • My blood runs the color of jade.
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2011, 20:17:18 »
Out of curiosity, has the art for these two been previously published elsewhere?  I love the Dark Age-style of the Black Hawk, which is consequently the very first 'Mech I got in my MW:DA Starter box when the game originally debuted.

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Twitter: @JoeChummer
Author Page
Official Website

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2011, 20:31:37 »
Out of curiosity, has the art for these two been previously published elsewhere?

The record sheets for DATP:Liao is the only other place (so far).

who are the howler monkeys company. the description says infamous, yet i've never read an entry anywhere about them (that's not to say i know everything, far from, but if they're infamous then surely we should have heard something about them prior to this entry)

Keep in mind that at least 30-40 years separate the most recent Classic-era products from the in-universe date of these two TRO-style writeups. And those are 30-40 years that have been sparsely detailed.

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2011, 20:32:35 »
Keep in mind that at least 30-40 years separate the most recent Classic-era products from the in-universe date of these two TRO-style writeups. And those are 30-40 years that have been sparsely detailed.

fair enough, i sorta forgot to take that into account

thank for the help  O0
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
  • My blood runs the color of jade.
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2011, 23:52:41 »
The record sheets for DATP:Liao is the only other place (so far).
That's kinda what I figured.  They look great!

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Twitter: @JoeChummer
Author Page
Official Website

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 18 March 2011, 03:16:13 »
Very nice. Hopefully we will see some additional Single-TRO's!
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 18 March 2011, 03:26:28 »
2 very interesting single TRO's, I certainly look forward to more, Thank You for these 2 products they certainly add interest to being a BattleCorps subscriber.

Dave.

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 18 March 2011, 05:46:38 »
Blackhawk pic a very, very ugly.
DA's art for most it's part a aestetically bad and look as cheap child toys from junkyard.
Sorry for rudeness, but it's truth.
Do not want.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 18 March 2011, 06:43:31 »
I'm not quite up to date with the timeline, but has it been established yet when the Diamond Sharks reverted to Sea Foxes? So far there was only something along the lines of "prior to 3100".

The Black Hawk writeup makes it clear that they were still the Diamond Sharks at the formation of the RotS but were already Sea Foxes by 3096 when the Dragoons first deployed the Black Hawk 2 variant that had been devised by Clan Sea Fox.
In the Koshi writeup the Clan is referred to as the (Diamond) Sharks after 3091 and (arguably) into 3093 (ambigous wording).

Funny tidbit on the sidelines: The Black Hawk is built with a Spar 3c Tight Band targeting/tracking system which appears to be quite an illustrious piece of hardware. According to TRO3025, the Stalker had "the best fire control system available" but as of 3025, few Stalkers still had the original system. The (apocryphal) optional rules for individual fire control systems from BattleTechnology: The Lost Issues assign the original Spar 3c Tight Band a flat out -2 targeting modifier, making it one of the best systems available. In the fluff text, the academy instructor says that if anyone happens to obtain a functional Spar 3c Tight Band, he knows that a Barony was offered in exchange for one.
It is weird to see a system developed specifically for the Stalker's weapon loadout being mounted on a 50-ton 'Mech with four SSRM4 and 2 ERLLs. Well, at least a vaguely similar armament...
« Last Edit: 18 March 2011, 06:45:03 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #11 on: 18 March 2011, 09:20:35 »
I'm not quite up to date with the timeline, but has it been established yet when the Diamond Sharks reverted to Sea Foxes?

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 18 March 2011, 09:55:07 »
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, does the Black Hawk 2 carry 5 tons of ATM ammo ?.

Thanks.

Dave.

Rim Worlder

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 18 March 2011, 15:41:33 »

Funny tidbit on the sidelines: The Black Hawk is built with a Spar 3c Tight Band targeting/tracking system which appears to be quite an illustrious piece of hardware. According to TRO3025, the Stalker had "the best fire control system available" but as of 3025, few Stalkers still had the original system. The (apocryphal) optional rules for individual fire control systems from BattleTechnology: The Lost Issues assign the original Spar 3c Tight Band a flat out -2 targeting modifier, making it one of the best systems available. In the fluff text, the academy instructor says that if anyone happens to obtain a functional Spar 3c Tight Band, he knows that a Barony was offered in exchange for one.
It is weird to see a system developed specifically for the Stalker's weapon loadout being mounted on a 50-ton 'Mech with four SSRM4 and 2 ERLLs. Well, at least a vaguely similar armament...

WOW !    interesting piece of fine detail.  I wonder if the writer put it in there as a Easter Egg to see if anyone would pick it up.  well done.
Star League - Egotistical, Mass Murdering Butchers from start to finish.

"Star League caches and Clan-Tech salvage, You're welcome"  - Stefan Amaris

lexington476

• Sergeant
  • PXH-7K
« Reply #14 on: 19 March 2011, 14:56:33 »
I'm not quite up to date with the timeline, but has it been established yet when the Diamond Sharks reverted to Sea Foxes? So far there was only something along the lines of "prior to 3100".

The Black Hawk writeup makes it clear that they were still the Diamond Sharks at the formation of the RotS but were already Sea Foxes by 3096 when the Dragoons first deployed the Black Hawk 2 variant that had been devised by Clan Sea Fox.
In the Koshi writeup the Clan is referred to as the (Diamond) Sharks after 3091 and (arguably) into 3093 (ambigous wording).

...how in the world did you find that little tidbit?

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 19 March 2011, 16:36:58 »
When I read "Spar 3c Tight Band" on the Black Hawk's readout, the memories just came back: Back in the mid-90s our group played a campaign with those BattleTechnology rules for different targeting/tracking systems.  A few stood out, including the Spar 3c Tight Band on the Stalker, which also had that notion in the article. And even back then I felt the idea of getting a barony for a piece of lostech was cool BattleTech fluff - I dig the 3025 era.

(Other 'Mechs with superior systems were, iirc, the Phoenix Hawk, Clint, and Scorpion. And the Ostscout's sensor range and capabilities were way off-scale - but it didn't get a to-hit-roll bonus like the aforementioned 'Mechs did.)
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

lexington476

• Sergeant
  • PXH-7K
« Reply #16 on: 19 March 2011, 16:52:05 »
When I read "Spar 3c Tight Band" on the Black Hawk's readout, the memories just came back: Back in the mid-90s our group played a campaign with those BattleTechnology rules for different targeting/tracking systems.  A few stood out, including the Spar 3c Tight Band on the Stalker, which also had that notion in the article. And even back then I felt the idea of getting a barony for a piece of lostech was cool BattleTech fluff - I dig the 3025 era.

(Other 'Mechs with superior systems were, iirc, the Phoenix Hawk, Clint, and Scorpion. And the Ostscout's sensor range and capabilities were way off-scale - but it didn't get a to-hit-roll bonus like the aforementioned 'Mechs did.)

Got it, missed the BattleTechnology part 8).  I somehow pictured you looking in stacks of TROs to see if another mech used the Spar 3c Tight Band O0.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #17 on: 19 March 2011, 21:30:01 »
I actually bought and painted one of these DA Blackhawks a while back, at first I didn't like it but it slowly grew on me. Nice to finally see a TRO write up on it, for some reason I kept thinking the DA version was a Phoenixed version of the original.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 19 March 2011, 23:11:31 »
My first ever mech from MWDA clix was a green Spirit Cats Black Hawk, so i'm really happy to see this guy get official recognition in Btech. the Koshi is cool too.

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #19 on: 20 March 2011, 09:23:13 »
I like how the existence of these 'Mechs shows that top of the line Clantech doesn't just get tossed to everybody.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Register