Author Topic: [Mechwarrior 2nd edition] Is Piloting a Combat skill?  (Read 2177 times)

BerserkMech

• Private
[Mechwarrior 2nd edition] Is Piloting a Combat skill?
« on: 08 April 2019, 05:15:40 »
This afternoon I was creating my very first batch of characters for my virgin mercenary campaign.

When it came to the "buying Advantages" step, I was assuming "Piloting (Battlemech)" was under Combat Skills, just like Gunnery (Battlemech), hence I was supposed to go for Natural Aptitudes. However, "Piloting" was not mentioned under the description of Natural Aptitudes on p.21, as well as the skill table (Type) on p.23. Could this be an error?

PS. By the way I was really surprised by how well the system works. Before reading the MW2 rulebook I first came up with a sketch of four starting characters and their backstory/hooks. Then as I was going through the character creation process the game system simply fit in just perfectly! That's awesome!  :thumbsup:
Mechwarrior, show'em what you've bought!

Zairhgon

• Recruit
Re: [Mechwarrior 2nd edition] Is Piloting a Combat skill?
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2019, 16:24:47 »
I not consider it an error.

"Pilot" is considered a skill within the category of "other skills" and therefore it costs 2 points to acquire the "Natural Aptitude" for it, because it does not necessarily have to be used for combat (e.g.: in case of piloting an Industrial Mech).

I Think that “Piloting skill” should receive the same treatment as "Drive", which is considered "another skill" (not-combat skill) but also serves to drive from civil vehicles to tanks.

BerserkMech

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2019, 06:03:30 »
But I am not so sure about that. Piloting a battlemech feels rather different from piloting a regular vehicle. Avoiding falling, kicking, death from above ... all have to do with combat (as most PSR in CBT) and should be more combat related.
Plus I can't find any "other" category as such in the 2nd ed rulebook.
Mechwarrior, show'em what you've bought!

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2019, 18:17:05 »
I think the higher cost is only meant for weapon skills. (Notice that Tactics and Strategy aren't on page 21 either.)

Quote from: MechWarrior 2nd Edition, page 21
The combat skills are:
   Archery, Blade, Gunnery, Small Arms, Support Weapons,
Throwing Weapons, and Unarmed Combat.
   For purposes of this advantage, non-combat skills are any skill
that is not a combat skill as defined above
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

massey

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2019, 11:35:20 »
Yeah, the higher cost is for the "shooting at people" skills.  Presumably you'll make a lot more of those rolls over the course of a wargame than you will other types of skills.  How many to hit rolls do you make in a normal game of Battletech versus "not fall down" rolls?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2019, 15:59:15 »
The odd part is that Unarmed Combat IS a combat skill...

Register