Author Topic: Uh...hi...  (Read 8126 times)

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
Uh...hi...
« on: 20 December 2018, 21:37:45 »
Howdy.

Any of the old guard still here?  Just checkin' in.

<tap, tap, tap...>  Is this thing on?

"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round...

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
Re: Uh...hi...
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2018, 21:50:08 »
Hrm?
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2018, 22:01:25 »
Howdy.

Any of the old guard still here?  Just checkin' in.

<tap, tap, tap...>  Is this thing on?

*high pitched squeal*

How old of guard are you looking for.  I was in my mid 30s when joining forum...now in my mid 40s...

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #3 on: 20 December 2018, 22:06:05 »
I turn 50 in January.

I hail from the days of MoparMessiah, AcidQueen, Habeas, Spaceman_Spiff, Blue_Wombat...and other revered names.  I trace my lineage back to mIRC and #battlechat.

I was WoB...before WoB was cool.

...And I am the last of my kind.

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 20 December 2018, 22:09:24 »
Well I remember of a few of those names. There are probably more that if they came out of the woodwork it would fired the right neurons.  There are a couple that were precollege back in the day, now that leaves me wondering if they every made it through.

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2018, 22:27:49 »
I come from an age when Herb...smiled.

I hugged him once, though he wouldn't admit it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #6 on: 20 December 2018, 23:04:01 »
I think I see Mopar and Spiff on rare occasions, but most of the rest aren't around all that much anymore.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #7 on: 21 December 2018, 00:14:00 »
Herb still haunts the forums. Mopar is around. I haven't seen Blue Wombat in awhile. In china or something?
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #8 on: 21 December 2018, 02:57:26 »
I think so.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 21 December 2018, 05:19:00 »
I remember those days, think I joined this forum several incarnations ago in the late 90's.

I recall all those names, although wasn't it just Wombat? Not Blue Wombat? She had a Blue Wombat avatar though.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 21 December 2018, 08:52:55 »
I still live!
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #11 on: 21 December 2018, 09:01:17 »
'Bats lives on the other side of the Great Firewall, and this site sadly isn't allowed where she is. Drops in and says 'hello' now and then when she can, but hasn't been a regular in many years. Hoping all is well for her.

Also, heyo!
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: 21 December 2018, 09:08:43 »
Is bat's ever going to come back to the States?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #13 on: 21 December 2018, 10:30:20 »
Is bat's ever going to come back to the States?

You'd have to ask her. I rarely keep track of my own planning to any degree of usefulness, to hell with managing anyone else.  ;D
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #14 on: 21 December 2018, 13:43:36 »
Looks like I registered in 2011. Do I count?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 21 December 2018, 13:49:06 »
A few are still here.  Although work tends to get in the way mostly and lack of playerbase doesn't help.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #16 on: 21 December 2018, 14:18:18 »
Multiple hacks in the past didn't help any. I'm glad we still have a place to hang out.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #17 on: 21 December 2018, 21:22:00 »
*sticks head in thread*

Uh, hi! :) I'm still here.  Though I mostly hang out in OT now.  :)

*waves*

"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #18 on: 21 December 2018, 21:56:27 »
Aha!

I see some familiar names.  Good to see...and comforting!  Bravo!

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #19 on: 21 December 2018, 21:57:15 »
Think I count from that era, welcome back!
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #20 on: 22 December 2018, 02:58:17 »
'Bats lives on the other side of the Great Firewall, and this site sadly isn't allowed where she is. Drops in and says 'hello' now and then when she can, but hasn't been a regular in many years. Hoping all is well for her.

Also, heyo!

What a horrible concept.
A world w/o Battletech Forums.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #21 on: 22 December 2018, 08:15:23 »
I'm still kicking around since 2005... enlisted for Galahad '28 and darn bureaucracy keeps losing my retirement papers..

I used to use the Muttley avatar.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 22 December 2018, 09:19:53 »
I was sort of a cloistered BattleTech scholar back in the day, just played with a couple of buddies in the 90s. First realized there was a substantial online community and registered on the forums back in 2007. Been here and on Sarna ever since.
Does that make me old?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #23 on: 22 December 2018, 09:31:41 »
I was on the last incarnation of the board, but honestly don't remember when I registered.  My avatar is from before the crash.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #24 on: 22 December 2018, 11:35:17 »
BattleTech - where less than 15 years active in the community makes you a “new guy”

I’ve been around on the forums  since like 2008. I occasionally went to cbt.com a few times a year before that

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #25 on: 22 December 2018, 12:03:03 »

Also, heyo!

I log on fine with no wall-defeating measures.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #26 on: 22 December 2018, 12:42:44 »
Wombat is distracted by shying things most likely.

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #27 on: 22 December 2018, 16:08:36 »
I was not expecting this much of a response.

It restores my faith.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 22 December 2018, 18:15:08 »
AcidQueen doesn't ring a bell.  I know the other names.  I know that I registered in the first decade of the 21st century, but remember little beyond that.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #29 on: 22 December 2018, 18:20:59 »
AcidQueen was most prolific on the rec.games.mecha forums that preceded this site's existence, and infamously waged a "jihad" (as head of the "Church of BattleTech") against what she referred to as the "K'hartoon" due to canonicity issues, culminating in her failed Trial of Refusal at FASA HQ where she was reportedly taken out by a custom "Gausszilla."  She ended up writing the Marian Hegemony section of one of the Periphery sourcebooks.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Register