Author Topic: The Unseen - a Reseen IIC Explanation, and a List (Updated, March 2016)  (Read 76467 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Well, rule 8 is no more. We will keep this thread open for a few days then we will remove it.
« Last Edit: 28 March 2016, 16:00:48 by God and Davion »
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
Re: The Unseen - a Reseen IIC Explanation, and a List
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2011, 20:53:31 »
And for the record: I (and the mod team) are happy to answer questions about whether something is permissable. We will not, however, allow discussions about why the situation exists. It does, it's completely outside our control, so please don't bother trying to convince anyone otherwise.

If you're not clear on the difference, PM me.

Regards,

Worktroll, Moderator.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2011, 14:41:43 »
And for the record: I (and the mod team) are happy to answer questions about whether something is permissable.

Hi WT, I'm just wondering about the Galleon tank (APC).
Is the Wizkids clicky-tech version legal or is it too close to the Unseen?

Also, any mini that we can now get from IWM (USA) will be legal correct?
(The Griffin IIC, Wolverine IIC etc on the website are all the reseen versions?)
Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2011, 14:51:26 »
Lord Cameron,

Any legitimate mini, by definition, is 100% acceptable. The restrictions apply purely to artwork, and only to commercial artwork. So you can post your own drawings of Unseen in (say) Fan Art, as long as they're 100% original - no tracing, no art-bashing, etc.

And while I haven't personally checked the IWM website, I'm pretty darned certain the only things on offer are the Reseen versions. But, as mentioned, legitimate physical minis are 100% OK. Assuming they're not repros or stolen, that is.

W.

(For the record, "legitimate mini" means the maker had legal rights to reproduce the IP on which the mini was based, at the time they made it.)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
Three steps forward ... and one clarification.

The original Ostscout, Ostsol and Ostroc have been officially classified as Not Unseen. FASSA did enough by adding arms and reversing the legs to have these three sufficiently different from some other tactical mecha. This is an official ruling from the Line Developer, and there was much rejoicing! (Especially amongst Free Worlds League supporters).

The Galleon tank, in either 3025 format (never made as a mini AFAIK) or 3058 format, is now Unseen, as even the revised version is too close to the original non-BattleTech source.

As always, I'll answer relevant questions to the limits of my knowledge, capability and NDA.

Regards,

Worktroll, Administrator.

Fletch

• Captain
This is an official ruling from the Line Developer, and there was much rejoicing! (Especially amongst Free Worlds League supporters).

Worktroll, Administrator.

Party, Party!!! *Looks for a FWL sig banner.....*

Paladin1

• Lieutenant

The Galleon tank, in either 3025 format (never made as a mini AFAIK) or 3058 format, is now Unseen, as even the revised version is too close to the original non-BattleTech source.

Thought you might want to know about this, but there was a mini made for the GAL-100 Galleon.  I don't have the original RP code to offer, but I do know that they went OOP in the early 90's, before the Lawsuit even occurred due to low demand.  I was lucky enough to acquire a full lance of them before they disappeared but they're incredibly hard to come by now. 

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
Live and learn! Any chance you could post pics (remember, pics of any minis you own are always legit)?

W.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
I'll see what I can do to clean up the pics, but because they're so small the details are kind of hard to see.  I thought I still had a pair in the blister pack but I can't find them now, otherwise I'd have the RP code as well.

manticore72

• Warrant Officer
I'd like to see those OOP Ost. mechs return to Camo Specs Online.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
Up to the CSO artists - although I imagine their return will be greeted with interest by several.

W.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
Up to the CSO artists - although I imagine their return will be greeted with interest by several.

W.

Yep.  Putting the ugliest and least interesting of the Unseen back on my to-do list as we speak.  On the bottom.  :P

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
I must be weird then, I actually liked the OST series.

The next immediate question that comes to mind is does this mean we can expect new minis of these three `Mechs?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
Unknown at this point in time.

W.

Cyttorak

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
  • CPLT-K2, now with more beef!
Thought you might want to know about this, but there was a mini made for the GAL-100 Galleon.  I don't have the original RP code to offer, but I do know that they went OOP in the early 90's, before the Lawsuit even occurred due to low demand.  I was lucky enough to acquire a full lance of them before they disappeared but they're incredibly hard to come by now.

Old Ral Partha code: 20-752

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
strange,back in the day when I got the City Tech 1st Ed,us locals thought,what a ugly mechs(OST's),and now-a-days we look back with a tear in our eye for the "unseens".Wierd how 20+ years does that to ya.   ;D

Q;I've seen the Behemoth 'mini' kicking around,,,who made that one back when?Buelhur?,,,,anyone?,,,,anyone?
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

manticore72

• Warrant Officer
Yep.  Putting the ugliest and least interesting of the Unseen back on my to-do list as we speak.  On the bottom.  :P
Hey, any unseen returning to CSO is OK by me. O0

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
Aside from the Galahad 2, what other Unseen 'Mechs did they make Fan Tech sculpts of? I'm thinking they made the Peregrine 2 and Goshawk 2, but I'm not really sure about the Goshawk 2.  :-\
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
Definitely the Peregrine was done. I don't think the Goshawk was though
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Leif

What about the Rifleman IIC?

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
What about the Rifleman IIC?
20-791 was removed from rotation in 1995.

There are two different reseen Rifleman IIC sculpts now.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
So the Forum Rules section containing Ostroc, Ostsol and Ostscout among forbidden 'Mechs will be updated?

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
So I have a question.  What is the story with the Griffin and the Shadow Hawk?  In the PDF preview of Record Sheets: Operation Klondike, there is a picture of the "unseen" griffin.  Does this mean that it is now not-unseen? And though I do not own the product, I hear that there is a Shadow Hawk in there also that is the original unseen art.  What does this mean for these mechs?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
It means that the product was compiled at a point where it was believed that the artwork for non-Macross Unseen could be used; unfortunately this turned out not to be the case. Due to the timelag in production, the images weren't caught in time.

It'll get fixed at some point in the future, but for now, it's like this:
<<(sorry, the hosting site is having malware issues)>>

Cheers,

W.
« Last Edit: 29 January 2013, 00:49:37 by worktroll »

Stingray

• Master Sergeant
Does this mean the new (MWDA) Galleon is unseen or was it different enough?

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
Does this mean the new (MWDA) Galleon is unseen or was it different enough?

It's the 3058 Galleon so yeah, she's unseen. Not that it matters much with the game being dead anyway.

I find it hilarious personally.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
A) it's MWDA - someone else's gamesystem.
B) Technically, it'd be Unseen.
C) No-one's coming round your house to take them away from you.

W.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
It's the 3058 Galleon so yeah, she's unseen. Not that it matters much with the game being dead anyway.

Wait...the 3058 Galleon is Unseen? I thought the original one was the Unseen one...
Where was the 3058 Galleon taken from, since I thought it, like the 3058 Longbow, were
the test-beds for the whole Phoenix idea?
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
From original Technical Read Out 3058 (© 1995): Galleon Light Tank

The 3058 Galleon is very much a derivative of the 3025 Galleon. Rather than tempt future legal issues, the decision was made to include it in Unseen status.

As a FWLer, do I like this situation? More than I like the idea of CGL back in court.

W.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
I would think 3058 one be less likely to be hauled in.  More unseens is bad news, though i  specially don't think Galleon is high-end target given Crusher Joe franchise isn't exactly active and there strong decline in Anime distributers in US at the moment.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki