Author Topic: The perils of buying FASA books  (Read 2918 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
The perils of buying FASA books
« on: 14 December 2018, 14:32:43 »
I got what looked like one of the better condition FASA House Marik books on ebay recently. It did indeed look good until i opened it and the glue in the spine snapped like a popsicle stick. Now i have several House Marik booklets.

going to make the best of it and get some archival-quality page sleeves to put it in a binder

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
Re: The perils of buying FASA books
« Reply #1 on: 14 December 2018, 14:46:10 »
I had the same thing happen to a House Liao book I got several years ago, as well as a volume of Ultimate X-men (so its not just a  FASA thing). I used E6000 glue IIRC to reglue the pages to the binding. Though it depends if all the pages separated or not...on mine they didn't & it was a fairly straightforward glue job.

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 14 December 2018, 14:51:07 »
Is glue-binding a problem in a lot of older books? I don't have many such books, i think, so i don't know really. But makes me wonder what kind of care one should take with storing books like that.

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2018, 14:54:54 »
Is glue-binding a problem in a lot of older books? I don't have many such books, i think, so i don't know really. But makes me wonder what kind of care one should take with storing books like that.

Yeah, I've had problems like that on several books. One was a NAIS 4th SW Vol. 2 where the glue on the cover had gotten old and cracked the cover separate from the textblock. At least one of my House books has a page or two loose.

Glue works pretty well, even basic Elmer's brand paper craft glue from a craft store (just get the stuff specifically meant for paper). From the sound of it, Sartris, you may be able to check out some tutorial articles or videos and make a repair. Glue the cover seam, place the separated signatures into it carefully and evenly, then rubberbands around it both ways, and place it vertically between two heavy boxes, short-spine-edge down.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2018, 14:56:22 »
There are fixes, you know.  I'm on a tablet and can't give you instructions but I've explained how before.  Search for 'book binding ' here or online.  It's remarkably easy.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2018, 15:09:03 »
maybe i'll look at rebinding, though I flunked out of being allowed to do the book restoration stuff when i worked at the library in college 

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 14 December 2018, 15:43:47 »
They lasted longer than my first Player's Handbook. Five years and the glue failed one that one!
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 14 December 2018, 17:57:34 »
Sadly it's not limited to the old FASA stuff. I've got a copy of Sword and Dragon that more represents a loose leaf folio, and my Strategic Operations, although still in one piece, is in desperate need of a spinal re-gluing. Oddly, all my FASA and Fanpro stuff is still in once piece.

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #8 on: 14 December 2018, 18:05:48 »
My BMR 1st Ed had the spine fail after only about 2 or 3 years. It got a lot of use in middle school.

Meanwhile I have a Second Edition rulebook that is still holding together quite well and a Compendium that is in pristine shape.
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #9 on: 14 December 2018, 18:08:21 »
I opened up my house marik book for only the second time recently (bought it use) and the glue gave a nice crackling sounds.  It didn't come comepletly loose though.  It just happens with age.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 14 December 2018, 18:12:34 »
Sadly it's not limited to the old FASA stuff. I've got a copy of Sword and Dragon that more represents a loose leaf folio, and my Strategic Operations, although still in one piece, is in desperate need of a spinal re-gluing. Oddly, all my FASA and Fanpro stuff is still in once piece.

Yeah it’s all over the place. My copy of reunification war has an iffy cover. But I have a second printing of TW I got in 2007 that I’ve used in hundreds of games is still in great shape. I do know that a lot of people have had corebook issues with binding, especially TO and SO.

The only FASA stuff I’ve run into trouble with is the pre 90s stuff. Whoever FASA was using as a printer starting with the compendium or so made quality stuff

I opened up my house marik book for only the second time recently (bought it use) and the glue gave a nice crackling sounds.  It didn't come comepletly loose though.  It just happens with age.

Yeah, crackling and a few loose pages I expect. I was not ready for the thing to come completely apart

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #11 on: 14 December 2018, 21:49:09 »
They lasted longer than my first Player's Handbook. Five years and the glue failed one that one!

Hey, for a while when 3rd Edition was in print, there were some books I got where the glue failed in less than a week.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #12 on: 15 December 2018, 00:14:55 »
Palladium Books seem to have bindings designed to survive a nuclear apocalypse. I have 35-odd year old TMNT books that have never lost a page
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #13 on: 15 December 2018, 00:43:34 »
I think my Rifts books are glued and sewed!

Just wish my MW1 book survived it's fall, last week it dropped from a one foot height and split the bind in half... I'm tendering it with an epoxy clear tape with added micro-thread backing to it.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 15 December 2018, 15:23:51 »
Fantasy Flight Games - Black Crusade book
They used a plastic spine inside, instead of cloth or anything else that was flexible.  Result = lots of books cracking the plastic piece and pages coming loose, held only by the strings

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 15 December 2018, 20:32:29 »
BT Compendium still holding strong.
4th print (iirc) Total Warfare... not so much.

Even my really old original D&D compendium is holding up better than my copy of TW ???

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: 16 December 2018, 00:57:06 »
I imagine the storage conditions would factor in too
Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

DarkLloyd

• Corporal
  • "Never Say Die!"
« Reply #17 on: 17 December 2018, 17:38:55 »
I've noticed that happens more in colder and less humid climes.
I don't really have that problem with my books here in Florida though.
Col. Adrian Rattliff C.O.  The Ratt Frags - Allied Mercenary Command

The Ratt Fragg's motto for the Jihad: "Nemo Me Impune Lacessita” - No One Attacks Me With Impunity
"I don't know who you people are. But I bet I know how much that Mechs' gonna be worth in salvage."
"A lot of people hate the Clans, me, I don't mind them. I just think of them as a "Renewable" resource...... "

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #18 on: 18 December 2018, 19:04:18 »
I’ve decided the best course of action is to just never open any of my BT books ever again

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #19 on: 18 December 2018, 19:05:52 »
So PDF only?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #20 on: 18 December 2018, 19:17:57 »
So PDF only?

TT

I’m a collector so I get both. The dtf is just for show. Mostly because searchable PDFs are a thing
« Last Edit: 18 December 2018, 19:21:32 by Sartris »

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #21 on: 18 December 2018, 19:32:29 »
My House Kurita book held up good over many years of reading and reference.   However, it's been years since I opened it (not even sure where it's at).  Pdfs are too handy. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #22 on: 19 December 2018, 10:32:17 »
I've run into this with many older books.

Interestingly; issues of Gun Digest from the 70s still hold together just fine....hmmm...
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 19 December 2018, 19:45:50 »
I've noticed that happens more in colder and less humid climes.
I don't really have that problem with my books here in Florida though.

Also happens in the hot and arid climes as well.  I can't tell you how many books I've had slip their backing simply because they sat in my car's oven for a day or two while I was at work.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Mech Salvager

• Private
« Reply #24 on: 20 December 2018, 16:24:21 »
Yeah...exact same thing happend to the House Liao book I bought...might look into some of the solutions mentioned here. It has only happend to some of my oldest books though.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #25 on: 21 December 2018, 16:35:53 »
I had ordered The Periphery book, and when I got it, it was in far better condition than my first Total Warfare! I haven't had disappointments with build quality of old books. Actual contents on other hand... Gray Death Legion book so doesn't match with the novels, Eridani Light Horse roster in Mercenary Handbook don't have the hardware that are in later books etc. etc.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.