Author Topic: Army Reports 3025: FWLM, DCMS, AFFS, LCAF and CCAF!  (Read 86003 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
Re: Army Reports 3025: FWLM, DCMS, AFFS, LCAF and CCAF!
« Reply #30 on: 23 February 2011, 00:59:19 »
fyi

Army Report - House Liao

Pg 18
The following rules are optional, and may be used when creating House Steiner‐themed units for the 3025 era.

Pg 18, paragraph above "Determine Equipment"
Example: Alex wants to roll up a lance belonging to the 10th Lyran Guard (“The Saucy Sixth”) The regiment has Veteran experience, and is classed as Medium for ‘Mechs.

Pg 23, example paragraph of Balancing Games Based on Battle Value
Example: Alex’s 2nd Company, 2nd Battalion, 4th Fusiliers of Oriente are having combat with Chris’ DCMS forces of the 2nd Company, 2nd Battalion, 2nd Donegal Guards.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Degman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #31 on: 23 February 2011, 08:21:58 »
Bra-vo!  [notworthy]

Off I go to the nearest printing/binding shop

TalonZahn

« Reply #32 on: 02 March 2011, 20:02:04 »
What are the chances of finding/getting something like this for Aerospace/Warships?

I love the new files. I still have the original ones you made to create my collecting templates for each House.  [notworthy]

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #33 on: 02 March 2011, 20:40:52 »
Well, I left aerospace out for a number of reasons:

1) Integrating the air & ground game gets a little complex, and these are primarily aimed at entry-level users.
2) At the time, Xotl hadn't produced 3025-era aerospace lists. I must check his latest versions, I might revise at some point to include them.
3) No WarShips in 3025 (although who knows what might be in AR: ComStar 3025  8) )

THanks for the kind words!

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

TalonZahn

« Reply #34 on: 02 March 2011, 20:51:33 »
Yea, I'm thinking of setting up the whole campaign thing from space to ground.

Would make it nice and complicated if some of your dropships get waxed on the way down and reduce your forces.  ;D

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #35 on: 02 March 2011, 21:54:47 »
Hi WT,

Lovin what you done with the Army Reports.   I noticed something in the profile for the Shepard's Mounted Fusiliers on page 15.  The article says the Fusiliers formed in 2995, where in the following sentence 2987.  Why was the typo carry over from the old house book?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 02 March 2011, 22:19:05 »
Possibly because I failed to check that - either that error came verbatim from the old book, or it was a difference between that and FM:CC (which I used as a secondary source). Noted for the next version, thanks!

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Charbok

• Sergeant
« Reply #37 on: 03 March 2011, 15:24:12 »
These are pure gold, sir.  Thanks!

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #38 on: 29 April 2011, 14:08:07 »
With MadCaps Objective Raids Fanbook and this...You know,
Herb could easily have had these proofed, revised slightly, and made
money from them WT...Glad he chose to let you do them as fan-books.
Makes the game even more accessible for new players who are coming
straight from the boxed set an TRO 3039
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #39 on: 29 April 2011, 14:08:59 »
I just went through Army Report House Steiner. I have some nitpicks here:
1. Flashman is highlighted as common 'Mech. Sure it's zombie and there's even production line making new ones, but c'mon! Highlighting it more common than Marauder just doesn't feel right. Lessee what Xotl says in his RATs... Flashman 5, Marauder 4 ::) Why in novels and BattleCorps fiction Marauder seems to be more common Lyran 'Mech than Flashman?
2. BLR-1S more common than standard G model? Really?
3. BNC-3S is among common 'Mechs even though in 3025 it is only refit of the BNC-3E just entering field and combat testing. For comparison ZEU-6T has just replaced ZEU-6S as main production model and it is uncommon, which seems right to me.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 29 April 2011, 14:33:03 »
Please take up any 'Mech frequency questions with Xotl; he kindly allowed me to use his data.

Cheers,

W.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 29 April 2011, 14:34:18 »
I just went through Army Report House Steiner. I have some nitpicks here:
1. Flashman is highlighted as common 'Mech. Sure it's zombie and there's even production line making new ones, but c'mon! Highlighting it more common than Marauder just doesn't feel right. Lessee what Xotl says in his RATs... Flashman 5, Marauder 4 ::) Why in novels and BattleCorps fiction Marauder seems to be more common Lyran 'Mech than Flashman?

Because Harmony Gold is not your friend.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #42 on: 29 April 2011, 23:25:37 »
Please take up any 'Mech frequency questions with Xotl; he kindly allowed me to use his data.
Did you notice those are for no earlier than year 3028?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #43 on: 30 April 2011, 18:26:32 »
Very nice work! Would you believe I only just noticed these?
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 03 May 2011, 23:33:12 »
Little bit of errata: pg. 4 of the Marik report under the Duchy of Andurien heading says "helped forge the foundation of the Free Worlds League in the 23rd and 34th centuries."  Should read "23rd and 24th centuries."

Pg. 7, under the Summary heading says "not because Anton’s rebellion was perceived as illegal or treasonous, but because Anton has sought help from the hated Liao enemy."  Change "has" to "had."

Pg. 13, bottom of the page, left hand column.  Last sentence on that side of the page, "TO" shouldn't have both letters capitalized.

Pg. 14, first paragraph of the 6th Marik Militia, "aptly names" should be changed to "aptly named."

Also pg. 14, under the 4TH BRIGADE, FUSILIERS OF ORIENTE section, the unit colors section is a different sized font.  This is not consistant through other unit colors sections (and sometimes insignia as well).

Pg. 15, Second Sirian Lancers Unit Profile.  "The 2nd’scommander" to "The 2nd’s commander."

Also pg. 15, under the 2nd Oriente Hussars section, "engineering the 2nds’s unconventional reconnaissance and intelligence gathering" should remove the superfluous s from "2nds's

Pg. 16, 1st Orloff Grenadiers' Unit insignia and unit colors sections are differnt font sizes from the main text.  1st Regulan Hussars' unit colors has the same problem.

Also pg. 16, under the Unit Profile for the 1st Regulan Hussars, last sentence: "and his bravery in the cockpit his battered Cyclops has been demonstrated time and time again." is missing a preposition between cockpit and his.

Pg. 17, the 4th Regulan Hussars unit info (CO, Experience level, etc) is a different font size than previous units.'

Also pg. 17, in the unit profile: "substantial number of Hermes lis"  The second I in Hermes II should be capitalized.

Also pg. 17, the unit colors section has spacing issues.

Pg. 23 has a weird example that messes with all sorts of math. "This reduces his lance total BV to 2607. Alex then elects to make all his recon lance pilots Veterans, which increases his lance total BV to 3506. As these are now within 10% (360) of each other"  It might make sense if this was an either/or example, but it assumes both are taken, which is NOT a 10% difference.

Pg. 24.  "Herb, playing this force, could reasonably swap his Hunchback HBK‐4G, for the HBK‐3P variant"  There is no HBK-3P on the common/uncommon tables.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2011, 01:47:15 by Scotty »
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 04 May 2011, 00:00:44 »
Thanks for the errata, and hope you found them interesting/useful!  :)

I'll probably combine all the errata when I finally get back to looking at AR: Periphery, and AR: Mercs. Deciding how to handle the different structures is the biggest thing at the moment.

W.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 04 May 2011, 00:34:46 »
I'll be posting more in that post when I get done with it.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 04 May 2011, 01:49:20 »
Post heavily updated with everything I could find on a quick read-through.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 04 May 2011, 09:40:37 »
Errata:
Every Army Report, chapter MODIFYING THE BV OF A UNIT (mostly p.23):

All BV values are given assuming that the pilot of the
unit has Regular skills. You can increase (or decrease)
the BV of a unit by increasing the skill level of the pilot
by the following values:
• Regular to Elite BV x2.1
• Regular to Veteran BV x1.5
• Regular to Green BVx0.85
Example: In order to help balance the scenario, Chris
elects to make 2 of the MechWarriors in his medium
lance have Green skill levels. [...]

Should be:
• Regular to Elite BV x1.82
• Regular to Veteran BV x1.38
• Regular to Green BVx0.86

According to the updated skill modifiers.
Of course the examples then need to be recalculated...
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 04 May 2011, 17:28:21 »
Errata part II:  Davion edition.

Pg. 4, under Hanse Davion's bio, it reads "wrestled for control of key positions in the fFderation government."  Remove the redundant f in Federation.

Pg. 10, first column. "The coior of the stripes shows to which branch of the service the soldier belongs."  Change "coior" to "color."

Also pg. 10, picture caption.  "From top left, clockwise: MechWarrior, Aerospace Pilotr, Ship Crewman, Infantryman with body armor."  Change "Pilotr" to "Pilot".

Pg. 11, add a period to the end of the last sentence of the Fighter Pilots section.

Pg. 12, remove the redundant period at the end of the Mech Production section, likewise with the Aerospace Craft Production section.

Pg. 15, under the Davion Assault Guards section, there is a floating period between them and the next section.

Pg. 25, again, there is no HBK-3P on the Davion tables, making the example on the previous page sound weird.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #50 on: 04 May 2011, 19:02:16 »
Paging through House Steiner, and as much as I like rolling up a Griffin 1S, I don't think it should cost 101k BV to get one out of the RAT table.  ;)
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 04 May 2011, 19:39:27 »
That's because of all the gold paint on the Royal Guards versions, Kit  :D

Cybra

• Corporal
« Reply #52 on: 02 December 2011, 17:02:52 »
Here's a table with the correct BV, Cost and availablitity (by house) for the mechs

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 08 December 2011, 21:29:46 »
Here's a table with the correct BV, Cost and availablitity (by house) for the mechs

Where are you getting cost and availability from?
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Cybra

• Corporal
« Reply #54 on: 09 December 2011, 21:34:43 »
I plugged all the variants into Solaris Skunk Werks to get Cost and BV. (Took a while, but now I have a copy that I can print as needed)

I ripped the common and uncommon availabilities from worktroll's Army Reports (and he got them from Xotl) and then filled in the empty spaces with Rare.

I also use the ratio of 1 rare per company and 1 uncommon per lance to give a reasonable feel for their availability.

Hatachi

• Corporal
« Reply #55 on: 12 December 2011, 06:45:01 »
If you made reports of the larger merc units and bound everything together I would throw 30-50 bucks down with a huge grin on my face.  This would be a great way to get people to "take up a faction."  Getting people a bit deeper into the lore is what I've found generally hooks them into Battletech.  It would be a great bridge between the somewhat generic overviews in the beginning fiction and plumbing 300 page tomes on one faction to see if you even like them; 2 thumbs way up.
« Last Edit: 12 December 2011, 07:25:40 by Hatachi »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 12 December 2011, 07:06:20 »
If you made reports of the larger merc units and bound everything together I would throw 30-50 bucks down with a huge grin on my face.  This would be a great way to get people to "take up a faction."  Getting people a bit deeper into the lore is what I've found generally hooks them into Battletech.  It would be a great bridge between the somewhat generic overviews in the beginning fiction plumbing 300 page tomes on one faction to see if you even like them; 2 thumbs way up.

Hatachi - that's exactly why I wrote them. I'm glad you, and others, like'em. Maybe I'll get some time to revisit them over the break - we'll see what happens!

W.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 13 December 2011, 23:36:16 »
Are we likely to see the last 3 books or not? Or have I just missed them?
One things I did notice was that whilst the FWL bad supply of PPC's was covered, the AFFS love affair with AC's wasn't oversight or not worth mentioning?

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #58 on: 14 December 2011, 12:31:19 »
What last three books?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #59 on: 14 December 2011, 12:45:59 »
What last three books?

"Three more are planned: the Periphery, Mercenaries, and ComStar. The series is currently on hold because I need a break ..."

from original post.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Register