Author Topic: Infantry Bay vs Infantry Compartment  (Read 1433 times)

KaiserDunk

• Master Sergeant
Infantry Bay vs Infantry Compartment
« on: 27 September 2018, 15:04:39 »
I'm finally getting up to speed with a new design program, and my rule books end with the early 2000s BattleTech Master Rules.   I was designing a vehicle that carried a squad of infantry, and noticed Infantry Bays and Infantry Compartments.   What is the difference between the two and how does it impact the game in terms of how they work?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Infantry Bay vs Infantry Compartment
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2018, 15:22:37 »
A Transport Compartment is for very short term use, like a few hours at most.  A Transport Bay is for intermediate duration use such as a few days to weeks.

Think of the difference between the amenities inside of a bus or APC (compartment) with the amenities available in a barracks or field tent (bay).

"Proper" living quarters for long term use would be best represented by passenger/crew tonnage for spacecraft.

KaiserDunk

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2018, 16:09:22 »
Thank you.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2018, 14:25:49 »
One is for a dropship and one is for a APC
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 02 October 2018, 17:04:30 »
To break down TDC's description a little more, I'd compare "Bay" quality to Airwing, Marine, or junior enlisted berthing on a modern (surface) US warship.  "Steerage" (5 ton) would probably be senior enlisted or junior officer berthing, "Standard" (7 ton) would probably be 2-3 person staterooms with heads shared by multiple staterooms, while "Officer" (10 ton) berthing would be the minimum for individual staterooms, with or without private heads.  It does vary a bit with the size of a ship. On a 688-class submarine, even the CO shares a head with the XO, while on an aircraft carrier, senior O-5s (specifically, squadron COs) share a head with one other senior O-5.  Some O-6s on carriers are similarly privileged, but some also have their own (e.g., the CO, XO, Destroyer Squadron Commodore, Airwing Commander, Chief of Staff of the Strike Group, et al.).

Register